Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  08:32:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice, Brian. I forgot about All Around the World!
Go to Top of Page

BunsenH
= Cult of Ray =

296 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  08:44:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arm Arm Arm

Nice, Brian. I forgot about All Around the World!

I forgot about it, too. I don't know why, but this just works to me:

1) Bag
2) Bam
3) Ain't That Pretty
4) All Around the World

'Bag' seems like the best opener. Putting the straight-pop one second makes sense to me (plus there's a nice flow between the two) and 'All Around the World' seems like the best closer.

Fuuuck - I'm too old to be doing this.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  08:56:29  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://thedwarf.com.au/news/15708/pixies-release-new-single-bagboy
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  09:13:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm digging the song, glad that it sounds fresh and not like a retread. Disappointed that there won't be a new album though...
If it is Dubs rather than Kim we are very lucky that there is such a spot-on vocal replacement!
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  09:16:59  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I reckon Kim was unhappy with her bass lines and they rerecorded the bass but kept her vocals. Going all the way to Wales just to record one song seems like a bit of a waste though.
Go to Top of Page

LUTINS
- FB Fan -

France
182 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  09:25:11  Show Profile  Click to see LUTINS's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's KIM or VIOLET?

http://blackolero.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

BunsenH
= Cult of Ray =

296 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  09:52:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LUTINS

It's KIM or VIOLET?

http://blackolero.blogspot.com/

It's Jeremy Dubs.
Go to Top of Page

Matt Foley
- FB Fan -

13 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  10:11:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So says the legalese. But what you do your ears say?
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  10:31:05  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think it's your mum. She's a screamer.

--

I'm sorry for this post, really. Couldn't help it.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  10:45:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not having a new album would be very disapointing, after hearing this song. Transmarine seems to know what he's talking about, can you say anything at this point about what you heard, if it were just the individual tracks with no apparent album cohesion behind them?

Throwing Muses are going to release their new album as a book. Kristin's writing, bundled with the cds. I'm not seing the Pixies doing that, at least not a book, but maybe some kind of box-set?

Please please don't make it a series of EP's of some sort of Internet single-of-the-month thing.
Go to Top of Page

McDutchie
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
267 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  10:45:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoa whee! Today is a glorious day. Too bad I had to work or I would have gotten a dozen listens in already.

One week Kim quits and the next week, bam, prerelease. Telling.

I don't understand how anyone can say the backing vocals on this new track sound even close to Kim (much less the bass line, which is obviously electronic). And it sounds even less like Violet. To me, it's clearly a male falsetto. And when did Kim ever do overdubs of her own vocals!? It seems to me some wishful thinking is at work here.

I don't care. Old Pixies have been dead since 1992 and selling out (deservedly) between 2004 and 2011. Today we welcome new Pixies and this new track is certainly promising. I've heard better tracks out of Pixies/FB/FB&C/BF, but they're probably saving the best for last, so I can't wait to hear what comes next. I mean, when Frank and Violet released "Silver Boys" I was scared because it really was not my cup of tea, but GD's "Let the People Speak" album overall is excellent.

So far "BAGBOY" gets 3 out of 5 from me, but like so much of Frank's stuff, it may yet grow on me...
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  11:23:35  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anyone noticed the African American person at the end of the video tied up on the bed. What's that all about?

I'd give it no more than 3/5 as well this song. It comes across as over produced and under creative. I'm more excited about the new Waxahatchee album.

Edited by - pot on 06/28/2013 11:24:16
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  11:55:40  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Where are fissile and simibaby? It's a bit weird. A new Pixies song finally comes out and suddenly they are not here to say something about it. I need someone to take the edge off these bad vibes coming my way, but hey. It ain't nuthin I don't know how to handle. Lord knows I had plenty of practice. I'm not entirely sure why I just snapped into soul gospel mode there, might be this new Mavis Staples I am just listening to. Attempt non-sensicality at your peril.

Edited by - pot on 06/28/2013 11:56:14
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  12:19:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fissle doesn't post about music.

As for the video, I think it's intended to be on the unsettling side. Its premise is simple: a disturbed kid breaks into someone's house and trashes it, and the ending reminds us that his actions aren't harmless. He has a frightened victim. We're not supposed to like the kid. The race of the people is irrelevant.

Edited by - Jason on 06/28/2013 12:20:06
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  12:29:42  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
nice interp, I never thought about it like that. Truth is I don't really care much about lyrics anyway, I'm in it for the sounds. I don't get the whole bag boy thing though. I don't know what that is, a boy who carries plastic bags around him with things in them on a bike? Is he stealing things and putting them in bags. Is this what Charles did when he was a younger? Despite my scathing review I still hope there is more on the immediate horizon and that this isn't the best song on the album, if there is one.
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  12:41:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by McDutchie

but they're probably saving the best for last, so I can't wait to hear what comes next.

I've been interested to see how they'd come back out, as we pretty much knew something was in the works. But the way in which they return, the choice of single is intriguing, if you were Pixies, would you drop the most Pixies-ish track you've come up with, the most radio friendly, or just a track which previews the direction of the new works?

What I mean to ask is, as a return what type of track would you think would be suitable for a group like them? I'm asking because I'm thinking the reaction to this release might either accelerate or put the brakes on what's lined up ahead.

BF responded to a tweet reminding the track is free, while they might have something to sell us in the future!

Edited by - natenate101 on 06/28/2013 12:43:14
Go to Top of Page

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  12:47:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The drumming really keeps this song going. It is hard.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  13:03:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not into this. maybe it will grow on me?

green star member since 2006. smb?
Go to Top of Page

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  13:37:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It will wear you down.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  13:58:52  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Turn that frown upside down.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  15:08:12  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm warming to it more. Am I allowed to do that? Maybe I should take my meds again. I like the idea behind the video, but I don't like the way it was shot. Sometimes the most expensive camera isn't always the best. I don't like the production on the song either, it's professional, it sounds like the Pixies, but it also sounds plastic. Same thing happened to U2.
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  15:11:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aw man, this is the best. I'm so glad we're all back together and stuff.

I'd walk her everyday, into a shady place

Edited by - Homers_pet_monkey on 06/28/2013 23:48:38
Go to Top of Page

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  15:12:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that it doesn't sound like Norton's Echo and Pixies era; it sounds big, as most new recordings are these days, but I don't think it sounds like plastic. It sounds very good actually.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  15:16:03  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now I'm starting to think I might be dreaming all this again..
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  15:17:40  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The ChampI don't think it sounds like plastic. It sounds very good actually.

By plastic I mean not plastic but... kind of plastic, you know?
Go to Top of Page

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  15:23:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little bit.
Go to Top of Page

Classic Masher
- FB Fan -

146 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  15:57:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So good! I would've started off with "Classic Masher" (of course) which I think could be as big as "Here Comes Your Man" for the Pixies. But still, it sounds like the Pixies. Thought sure that was Kim singing.

I can't imagine there won't be an album. Why release only one song (and this one? Which is good but not as Pixies-ish as the others we've heard him play live solo)? Also, I don't think they'd have a video and all new art and logos for one song. "Bam Thwok" only got a shot of the band as it's "cover". Maybe they're making videos for every song and releasing it as a film not an album? Charles did say the song was originally written for a film that never got off the ground...

"Next message is from Suriname, please authenticate..."
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  16:08:09  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How do you know what the 'Pixies' version of Classic Masher will sound like?
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  16:28:24  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Classic Masher

So good! I would've started off with "Classic Masher" (of course) which I think could be as big as "Here Comes Your Man" for the Pixies. But still, it sounds like the Pixies. Thought sure that was Kim singing.

I can't imagine there won't be an album. Why release only one song (and this one? Which is good but not as Pixies-ish as the others we've heard him play live solo)? Also, I don't think they'd have a video and all new art and logos for one song. "Bam Thwok" only got a shot of the band as it's "cover". Maybe they're making videos for every song and releasing it as a film not an album? Charles did say the song was originally written for a film that never got off the ground...

"Next message is from Suriname, please authenticate..."

MIXED MESSAGES FROM SIR NAFF / PLEASE AUTHENTICATE

(FYI)

Bf
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  16:38:06  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The interesting thing about this to me now is that it appears to have inspired an 90s indie chick based music night here in my humble abode. Kristen Hersh and now The Sundays. indie guitars were made for the female vocal form and there can be no Pixies without Kim Deal or a similarly cute woman in her 20s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we9NtPUZPUs

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  16:49:01  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqD2NKQjgBA
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  16:50:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Homers_pet_monkey

Aw man, this is the best. I'm so glad we're all back together and stuff.

I'd walk her everyday, into a shady place

Hey Mike, where have you been!?

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  17:19:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has it been confirmed what Jeremy's contribution/s are in Bagboy? Did he play Bass, sing Backing Vocals or both? I think the song sounds amazing. Whatever JD did, it fits in seamlessly..

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

windupbird
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  17:51:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like this new song. I just like that you never know exactly what to expect, musically, lyrically... Also, it reminds me of when the reunion thing happened - it feels like: OK, there's a new song, the world hasn't exploded, we are all adjusting to the fact, now everything is fine so hey, I guess it's ok to make some music. Cool.
Go to Top of Page

badronald
- FB Fan -

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  18:29:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just have a huge shit eating grin - when the chorus comes crashing in the first time the song just takes off.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000