New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  04:56:29  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This song is great, and we have 20 more new Pixies tunes to look forward to. Feels like a slightly unhinged old friend coming around for a visit, I have had it on repeat for the last hour and cannot fault it, a solid effort. I am glad they did one last album together and hope Kim rejoins for album number seven.
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  04:59:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the song: opening seems very modern-era black francis (bluefinger/svn fingers) but when the guitars and backing vocals kick in it sounds like the pixies! i can see evolution from trompe to here musically but the lyrics and feel of the song seem quite a jump - hopefully some of the new songs will bridge the gap (for critics sake). i like this one.

the video: looked like fun. i'm guessing that's julian? for a second in the tub i thought it was violet....

20th Anniversary Tour; Teenager Of The Year: Live and Complete - Coming Soon in 2014 to your favorite venue!
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  05:15:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds Duchy to me. I suppose it would be naive to think we'd be treated to pure Pixies-sounding songs, as someone else here mentioned, there's been 20 years of music history since Trompe.

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  05:22:18  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"The Seus" is a touchstone, certainly.

I'm surprised that the most "Pixies" element, sonically, is the 80's/early 90's drum sound, straight off of BOSSANOVA.

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  05:23:11  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It sounds Pixies to me, bring on the album. Twenty years they continue to deliver, if this is there last effort at least it they have turned that question mark into a full stop. Kudos for doing one last album with the original line up.
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  05:31:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like it. Definitely sounds like Kim to me.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  05:41:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know why but I was expecting something in the vein of Blown Away or Lovely Day. And doesn't anyone find the length 4.52 unusual?

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  05:45:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Certainly is better than most new bands garbage indie puke.
Go to Top of Page

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  05:46:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And only pixies would make a song about bagboys, which is hilarious.
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  05:59:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't expect quick 2 minute songs like the Pixies of yesterday. They all clock in around 4 minutes which threw me off at first.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I want the guy who did this. I want him. I want him bad........" TJ Hooker
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
779 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  06:01:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow, still impressed after 50 listens

I agree with many people here, it sounds like a natural evolution from Trompe Le Monde

in my opinion, drums are very produced (almost like in Smashing Pumpkins' Ava Adore)

I'm hearing Dig For Fire, Subbacultcha, The Seus (Charles Normal mix)
on the chorus I'm even hearing one of the guitar riffs of Winterlong!

So, yes I agree, "it sounds like everything BF has done from 1990 to 2011 condensed in 4'52"

As expected, it's one of the songs listed on BMI
Bag Boy
http://repertoire.bmi.com/title.asp?blnWriter=True&blnPublisher=True&blnArtist=True&keyID=14843406&ShowNbr=0&ShowSeqNbr=0&querytype=WorkID

French magazine Les Inrocks announces *big news* on Monday, July 1st, 10 AM (Paris time)
http://www.lesinrocks.com/2013/06/28/musique/un-nouveau-morceau-des-pixies-en-telechargement-et-plus-a-venir-11405846/

that can only mean one thing

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  06:28:24  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage  Reply with Quote
no new album...? : http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/06/listen-and-download-the-pixies-first-new-single-in-nine-years-bagboy/

After several listens I actually really like the song. It's just unfortunate that the backing vocals (if they are in fact Jeremy Dubs) are likely an extremely impressive stand-in for Kim who was expected to return to the studio.
Go to Top of Page

ricj
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  06:34:04  Show Profile  Visit ricj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Champ

And only pixies would make a song about bagboys, which is hilarious.

What is a bagboy anyway??
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  06:38:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I second that (but was afraid to ask....)
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  06:46:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A guy who bags your groceries. That's the term I'm familiar with.

Listened to the beginning and then stopped; I'm going to wait to hear it on the new album. Took quite a bit of will to hit stop; though.

New Pixies...wow!
Go to Top of Page

chief
- FB Fan -

11 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  06:48:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arm Arm Arm

Listened to the beginning and then stopped; I'm going to wait to hear it on the new album. Took quite a bit of will to hit stop; though.

New Pixies...wow!

who says there will be a new album? if i were you i'd listen to it now.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  06:48:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good song... you can't help comparing it the earlier stuff, which maybe isn't fair. BTW, sounds like Kim to me.

quote:
“The lyrics, coincidentally, were composed at a Starbucks Coffee in Harvard Square in Cambridge, about a hundred feet from where, 25 years ago, I composed some of the lyrics to an old Pixies song called ‘Break My Body.’

Nice! Anyone recall an interview with FB where he spoke about writing the lyrics to Break My Body on some steps with his knees knocking before their first gig? Oh yeah, and anyone else think that was B&W pic of a young FB on the cover of Paste Magazine advertised in the corner?!

Edited by - Carl on 06/28/2013 06:56:50
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  06:52:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really like this! The drums in particular sound great in my opinion, very impactful. Everything else sounds great too. There's a very Bulefinger/Svn Fngrs esque vibe, as mentioned in previous posts, which is fine by me as I thought that was one of the most exciting periods to be a fan of BF because of the quality of those albums.

Overall it's a decent effort. I genuinely don't care if Kim is/isn't involved. I don't mean that in a nasty way by the way, just that good music is good music and if this song is what can be produced without her, go for it! I hope there's a lot more to come!

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  07:05:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is something to refresh the palate and keep everything in perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=J-Cv-5x5fKQ

Now, back to Bagboy!
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1225 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  07:09:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah thanks, obvious when you think about it. I spent about 5 years in my youth wondering what a Waterboy was as well...
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  07:17:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Though I'd love a Catholics reunion, or at least a last show in conjunction with the box set release, now that this is happening, I'm curious to see Frank continue on with the Pixies in the post-Kim era. Tours, albums, the whole thing. I'd be shocked if there wasn't a new album at this point.
Go to Top of Page

BunsenH
= Cult of Ray =

296 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  07:27:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Update #2: According to the band’s publicist, Pixies will not release a new album."

Did anyone catch that in the "Consequence of Sound" article?
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  07:33:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BunsenH

"Update #2: According to the band’s publicist, Pixies will not release a new album."

Did anyone catch that in the "Consequence of Sound" article?

Chris Knight mentiones it above when he linked the article. They'll probably make more profit releasing eps or individual singles. We'll see.

Transmarine and Helmut, you guys keep mentioning album specifics. What else can you share?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  07:42:30  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Champ

Certainly is better than most new bands garbage indie puke.

You are obviously listening to the wrong new garbage indie puke bands.
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  07:44:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now I am shocked.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  07:50:31  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The correct term is electrocuted.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  07:51:02  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BunsenH

I knew that was coming. I felt it in my bones.
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  07:56:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is all very interesting. If they're really not going to release an album, then I'd best get downloading Bagboy; maybe make a three song e.p. for myself.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  08:15:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If there's, indeed, no new album, I'm reminded of Frank's remark from that Death and Taxes interview from about a month ago (
http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/198880/interview-black-francis/)

He says that he made a record "last fall", but can't say what it is. When asked to elaborate, he said:

-I mean it isn’t a record. I don’t know what it is yet, I mean the whole format is breaking down which is kind of cool
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  08:20:10  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I predict a series of EPs that lead to a box set of some kind. That's just a guess.

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  08:21:21  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A special edition box set that costs about £150 probably as well no doubt.

Edited by - pot on 06/28/2013 08:25:35
Go to Top of Page

BunsenH
= Cult of Ray =

296 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  08:22:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arm Arm Arm

This is all very interesting. If they're really not going to release an album, then I'd best get downloading Bagboy; maybe make a three song e.p. for myself.

You know, the songs sort of compliment eachother in a way that can work. Not trying to steer this list into nerd-dom, but what order would you put them in?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  08:26:22  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry, what songs (plural) are we talking about here? Some people are talking like they have heard more songs.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  08:27:06  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chrono - but mine is a more standard EP length:

In Heaven (Kim singing reunion tour version)
Bam Thwok
Ain't That Pretty At All
All Around The World (live at Newport Folk Fest)
Bagboy

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  08:31:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
short immediate answer: I don't know.

nerdy answer: At first, I thought I would put them in chronological order from my perspective, I learned of Bam Thwock first, then Ain't that Pretty, so of course, Bagboy would be number three. But then I thought perhaps Ain't and Bagboy sound a bit similar, at first, the heavy almost industrial sound at the beginning of both, so maybe I'd go: 1) Ain't 2)Bam 3)Bagboy. Or, I could take a page from the Maestro himself and put them in alphabetical order. So many possibilities. And I still haven't listened to all of Bagboy.

I hope it's not a boxset release. Maybe they're not releasing an album...but a double album?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000