Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  19:50:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I lived in Stirling the hippest bar in the old town, Nicky Tams's, made a big claim of it being haunted - it's welcome sign had a ghost in a kilt. http://www.nickytamsbar.co.uk/
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  00:59:46  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There's loads of old haunted places in Edinburgh that claim to be haunted, in fact one of them is apparently the most haunted place in Europe. You can go on ghost tours and stuff, quite interesting learning about the history and they are well creepy. People often hear things when they are in there, and there's a story of one guy who was a parapsychologist or something who stayed in one of the dungeons on his own one night and heard banging or footsteps or something. I'm fairly open minded and think there is something in it.

A few years ago they did an experiment or something where they left people down in these places on their own to study their psychology and one woman came up and asked why one of them was down there standing in the corner watching her, and apparently no-one was down there so she may have seen a ghost.

** https://twitter.com/artStuvsSeaton ** https://plus.google.com/u/0/109863394112152727620/posts **

Edited by - pot on 03/09/2013 01:14:32
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  04:25:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't Ghost Coming about a haunted bar in Dublin? The first line suggests it is anyway! (And the name check of Glen Hansard.)
Go to Top of Page

The Champ
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
736 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  06:52:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mr Black:

Can you please elaborate on the version of Here Comes Your Man from the Euphrates sessions? What did it consist of and how did it sound? Did you like that version? Will it be released?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  10:03:40  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

Isn't Ghost Coming about a haunted bar in Dublin? The first line suggests it is anyway! (And the name check of Glen Hansard.)

he's given a detailed story on this one. i feel like i heard it rather than read it. podcast? anybody know?

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  10:31:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha "The bars are shut in Dublintown" does indeed suggest that it isn't set in Scotland. My bad!
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2013 :  14:32:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey Frank, I see your show is sold out at The Mint in Los Angrles. think you could put my name on the guest list? for old time's sake?

green star member since 2006. smb?
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2013 :  18:51:02  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You know, every once in a while I forget how lucky we have been to have the support of FB on our site (and how lucky I am to have been a part of it). Charles, thank you so much for stopping in, holding court, and your answers. It's been ten years for me at this site, and longer as a fan, and I still hang on every word.

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2013 :  19:25:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We (visitors/readers of this forum)really owe you a lot Dean. Cheers!

Hello Frank,

I just wanna say keep up the good work! I eagerly await your next release. Just a couple questions:

1) I know tattoos aren't everybody's cuppa, but if done right (well) can be very artistic in their own right (I don't think many can argue that) i'm a big tattoo fanatic and have decided to get a tattoo of yourself, an homage if you will. I just can't decide what picture. originally wanted to do beach scene with you cruisin' in a hovercraft. then i wanted to do a profile type black/white rendition of the drawing beneath the inlay from Honeycomb. But i think what would really look the best and capture what i'm trying to get across is a fairly true rendering of the oddballs cover but i really need the full head shot for the artist to work with - how can i get this?

2) teenager of the year 20th anniversary tour next year?

JL

20th Anniversary Tour; Teenager Of The Year: Live and Complete - Coming Soon in 2014 to your favorite venue!
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2013 :  09:21:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, how dope is this El Dorado?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-Cadillac-Eldorado-Base-Hardtop-2-Door-7-7L-/121088306452?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1c316ced14#ht_842wt_1167

Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2013 :  11:36:51  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shineoftheever

[/b][/i]

yes, frank. get a band back together and do a TOTY tour, PLEASE. please? please.

Go to Top of Page

djmartins
- FB Fan -

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2013 :  15:48:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blckfrncs

hi

it's been awhile since i've posted here.

Charles,

I am going to try to make your Augusta show on May 9th.
Hope to see you there!

regards,
DJM
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2013 :  06:26:25  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by djmartins

quote:

hi

it's been awhile since i've posted here.

Charles,

I am going to try to make your Augusta show on May 9th.
Hope to see you there!

regards,

DJM

I am looking forward to that show. It has been a long time since I played there. Have I? At least a radio show....

Bf
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2013 :  06:27:37  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jose Jones

quote:

[/b][/i]

yes, frank. get a band back together and do a TOTY tour, PLEASE. please? please.

It is a regular topic of discussion among myself, edf, Vincent, and workman...

Bf
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2013 :  06:30:41  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

We (visitors/readers of this forum)really owe you a lot Dean. Cheers!

Hello Frank,

I just wanna say keep up the good work! I eagerly await your next release. Just a couple questions:

1) I know tattoos aren't everybody's cuppa, but if done right (well) can be very artistic in their own right (I don't think many can argue that) i'm a big tattoo fanatic and have decided to get a tattoo of yourself, an homage if you will. I just can't decide what picture. originally wanted to do beach scene with you cruisin' in a hovercraft. then i wanted to do a profile type black/white rendition of the drawing beneath the inlay from Honeycomb. But i think what would really look the best and capture what i'm trying to get across is a fairly true rendering of the oddballs cover but i really need the full head shot for the artist to work with - how can i get this?

JL

20th Anniversary Tour; Teenager Of The Year: Live and Complete - Coming Soon in 2014 to your favorite venue!

JL-

I think if you are going to commit to a tattoo of my own face, I think you should use a photograph from the photographer MICHAEL HALSBAND; he is the simply the best.

Ch
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2013 :  06:33:49  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

You know, every once in a while I forget how lucky we have been to have the support of FB on our site (and how lucky I am to have been a part of it). Charles, thank you so much for stopping in, holding court, and your answers. It's been ten years for me at this site, and longer as a fan, and I still hang on every word.

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

Very kind of you to say, my friend, very kind indeed

Bf
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2013 :  06:34:40  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by floop

hey Frank, I see your show is sold out at The Mint in Los Angrles. think you could put my name on the guest list? for old time's sake?

Sorry I missed this!

Bf
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2013 :  06:36:21  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Champ

Hi Mr Black:

Can you please elaborate on the version of Here Comes Your Man from the Euphrates sessions? What did it consist of and how did it sound? Did you like that version? Will it be released?

Thanks!

It is a polished production of Gil Norton. I liked it as I recall. It should be released again if it is unavailable. I don't keep up on this kind of thing; I will ask management.

B

Edited by - blckfrncs on 05/06/2013 06:36:52
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2013 :  07:04:34  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey. Thanks again for stopping by. Amazing to see you're still in touch with Nick Vincent. His drumming on TOTY is unrivaled.

Say, why don't you do a proper release of the live gig that came with the 93-03 compilation? It's annoying to have it split between the 3 different editions of the CD. Call me cheap but I didn't buy all 3 releases, and this concert sounds fantastic.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2013 :  07:24:26  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are you still planning a solo tour of Europe this year? Just wondering because I'm thinking about getting off this island for a few days soon...

** https://twitter.com/artStuvsSeaton ** https://plus.google.com/u/0/109863394112152727620/posts **
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2013 :  07:40:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Charles, can you tell us a little about Wild Son. Don't think I've been more intrigued by one of your songs.

Classic Masher
- FB Fan -

146 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2013 :  16:44:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Charles,
It's so cool that you come here and post on these forums. Thanks for that.
As you can tell from my screen name, I love the new songs (Andro Queen, Greens and Blues, Indie Cindy, Silver Snail and, of course, Classic Masher). When can we expect to see these on an album? Might that album feature the guitar styling of a certain Mr. Santiago?

"Next message is from Suriname, please authenticate..."
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2013 :  03:59:24  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Classic Masher

Hi Charles,
As you can tell from my screen name, I love the new songs (Andro Queen, Greens and Blues, Indie Cindy, Silver Snail and, of course, Classic Masher). When can we expect to see these on an album? Might that album feature the guitar styling of a certain Mr. Santiago?

Mixed messages from Sir Naff; please authenticate...
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2013 :  04:00:00  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders

Hi Charles, can you tell us a little about Wild Son. Don't think I've been more intrigued by one of your songs.

well. what you wanna know?
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2013 :  04:03:44  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

Hey. Thanks again for stopping by. Amazing to see you're still in touch with Nick Vincent. His drumming on TOTY is unrivaled.

Say, why don't you do a proper release of the live gig that came with the 93-03 compilation? It's annoying to have it split between the 3 different editions of the CD. Call me cheap but I didn't buy all 3 releases, and this concert sounds fantastic.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux

Yeah. Nick is an unbelievable musician. And one of the nicest people you will ever meet. NOt sure I follow the query. Live gig you refer to was with a different drummer recorded in PA a few years ago. A bunch is there on the the best of release, don't think there was another release of that material. guess I am not familiar with the 3 versions.

bf

Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2013 :  04:29:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Anything that comes to mind Charles. An off the wall response would be ok even. Or specifically, what inspired the song and what did you like best in the music/arrangements for the song. And a frame of reference for the lyrics.

IBreed
= Cult of Ray =

310 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2013 :  09:56:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Classic Masher

Hi Charles,

Mixed messages from Sir Naff; please authenticate...

Indie Cindy! Hope we get to hear the full song soon... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urUZ7LXaOkE)

Edited by - IBreed on 06/12/2013 09:56:49
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2013 :  19:37:28  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Anything that comes to mind Charles. An off the wall response would be ok even. Or specifically, what inspired the song and what did you like best in the music/arrangements for the song. And a frame of reference for the lyrics.

Like most of the songs from that record, WILD SON is simply musing about love and sexuality, some personal, some not. Not trying to convey a message to the listener, other than "I am trying to do songs that are tinged with my own erotic and romantic notions".

bf
Go to Top of Page

natenate101
= Cult of Ray =

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2013 :  20:48:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Question for you BF: You use so many different "voices" in your songs, Massif Centrale for example has you alternating between a few.
"Baby, honest, have some wine" Deeper sound
"Sleep in gardens where I play my lute" High pitch
"Thats the siiiign of her love behavior" Sorta gruff
Do you determine the vocal range/style when you initially write the song, or does it comes from rehearsing, trying a few for the same section and seeing what sounds best?

Also, any particular reason San Francisco wasn't on the tour sites this time around?
Hoping to have you out here again soon. Wanted to state like others have, that it is so awesome to have you contributing to the board.
Thanks for all the great music over the years.
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  14:34:43  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How could I procure or trade for one of your paintings? (particularly http://amherststuckists.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/image5.jpg)
Go to Top of Page

simibaby
= Cult of Ray =

405 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2013 :  12:20:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. God bless, sincerely. You might consider this a silly question, BUT I DON'T haha. When the P's reunited in 2004, I saw you 20 (TWENTY) times! and adored every second of it. Lowell-2, Philly-2, DC-2, Hammerstein (NYC)-8, Jones Beach-1, Coney Island-1, Boston-1, Then 2009 ("Doolittle tour") Hammerstein-3 I'm just braggin here. But me question is:

(Especially in 2004-05)....Everytime you did "Monkey..." you would sing the very last part differently every nite which was soooooooo cool.

Like (just paraphrasing) a) "this m's bought her haven" or b) "this m's drawn to seven" or whatever. (Too long ago for me to remember all of them) Am I right? Cuz I remember posting that here, but peeps were saying they didnt believe me! haha And I would think: Did YOU guys see him 14 times in 20 days?!

I thought like, maybe, you guys did that to break up the monotony. Love you! bye
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2013 :  04:48:17  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A question to Charles- I recently watched a documentary about the South African hip hop artist Watkin Tudor Jones, who like yourself has released music under a variety of different stage names, himself also as Max Normal and now Ninja (Die Antwoord), often changing between different personas on the same album. This documentary reckoned that this was partly due to his Buddhist beliefs, which compare the soul to 'a flame passing from candle to candle, chronologically linked but without any persistent self.' In other words the absolute self is an illusion, and forever transient. Having yourself been known earlier as Black Francis, then Frank Black, and then back again to Black Francis can you relate to that in the same way?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgRUlVZbpcg

Edited by - pot on 06/27/2013 04:49:01
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2013 :  05:32:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by simibaby

Hi. God bless, sincerely. You might consider this a silly question, BUT I DON'T haha. When the P's reunited in 2004, I saw you 20 (TWENTY) times! and adored every second of it. Lowell-2, Philly-2, DC-2, Hammerstein (NYC)-8, Jones Beach-1, Coney Island-1, Boston-1, Then 2009 ("Doolittle tour") Hammerstein-3 I'm just braggin here. But me question is:

(Especially in 2004-05)....Everytime you did "Monkey..." you would sing the very last part differently every nite which was soooooooo cool.

Like (just paraphrasing) a) "this m's bought her haven" or b) "this m's drawn to seven" or whatever. (Too long ago for me to remember all of them) Am I right? Cuz I remember posting that here, but peeps were saying they didnt believe me! haha And I would think: Did YOU guys see him 14 times in 20 days?!

I thought like, maybe, you guys did that to break up the monotony. Love you! bye

Here's a link to The Donkey Sanctuary in Devon http://www.thedonkeysanctuary.org.uk/

He didn't by chance sing "This donkey's gone to Devon" on one of those nights did he?

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  07:33:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I have a couple of questions about Jeremy Dubs.

How were you introduce to each other? If you could tell us a little more.

I remember an interview I read in a French magazine published sometimes around the Cult of Ray era and Bowie's birthday (I think it was "Best", if anyone in the forum recall and could confirm), I lost the copy and never managed to find it anywhere until now but you were speaking about a disabled young man in a wheelchair wearing a Pixies t-shirt who asked you an autograph after a show. You described how this particular moment stroke you as an entertainer. I cant' remember the precise words you used but you explained that you understood what being a pop singer and what pop music could mean in the life of such people and in that one's in particular. How it was IMPORTANT for him. It was a very touching comment and I remmember how I was moved by that story considering the vision I had of you as the hardcore teenage fan I was at the time and the influence it had in my life as an art provider.

When I first heard and saw Jeremy Dubs I could'nt help considering the possibility that he may be the young man you spoke about in this interview last century... Hearing him as a "guest Pixie" recently reinforced the wondering. Do you remember all this?

Thank you for your attention and thanks for the latest events that keep the Pixies concept and your personna in the field of Mystery and History that has to remain the soil of Pop Culture in opposition to mere and plain "news" of the digital age.

The French Tarot Guy.

++++
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  03:33:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was reading the Thread about Valley of Our Hope (Anagrams and Acrostics) the other day and I really admire the layers in your music.

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=69

Any hints to other songs you have written over your career that have a hidden puzzle that maybe haven’t yet been publicly discovered?

How are you enjoying the tour? I loved the Pixies itunes festival! Not much banter between songs. Nothing wrong with that as I go to a concert to hear and feel the music, however, I really enjoy brief interaction between some songs from the artist. I find your non Pixies shows you can be much more chatty which I really enjoy. Any thoughts?

At this point in time what are your top 5 Pixies songs? Mine are:

New Big Prinz
Android Queen
Wave of Mutilation UK Surf
Planet of Sound
What Goes Boom

Thanks for the new music and tour!

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"...long live snitz!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000