Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2013 :  02:59:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I guess the FBC box-set tracks have already been selected and mastered by now - but like Red Letter Days, I read that FB & The Catholics self-titled had several run throughs of each track that were recorded. If these sessions or similar out-takes and rehearsal recordings aren't included in the box-set maybe they could be made available as a download somehwere, as I think many fans would be interested to hear the alt versions..

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2013 :  03:38:09  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Will the webstore be back up in time for your next release?

Edited by - hammerhands on 02/25/2013 03:38:30
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2013 :  03:54:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no questions. More music is coming. That's all I need to know.

Thanks for the music, Frank. I listen to all of it regularly. Looking forward to the Catholics box.
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2013 :  08:37:59  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Mr.Black for your answers.Would you consider releasing The Purple Tape outtakes and the Larry Norman cover of "Watch What You're Doing" recorded in those sessions? I'd love to hear those and I'm sure everybody else in this forum too. Gracias :)

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

ricj
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2013 :  10:17:04  Show Profile  Visit ricj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm a new member here so apologies if this has been asked/answered before but the talk of the upcoming box set brings to the surface the question i have been asking myself most for the past few years which is quite simply: will we ever see a return of The Catholics either on stage, on record or (hopefully) both? Are you still friendly/on good terms/in regular contact with the fellows from the band?

Sorry that was kind of two questions in one..!

Thanks

Edited by - ricj on 02/25/2013 11:44:01
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2013 :  11:22:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I remember reading that Pixies rehearsed Apache for Bossanova but decided to go with Cecilia Ann in the end, which was great! but did Pixies ever record a version of Apache? I know you have played Fear/One Step Beyond & War Of The Satellites before - but what other Ventures/Shadows or Surf era tunes would you like to cover? I would love to hear you play either Crash, The Rising Surf, Sleep Walk or Walk Don't Run.

By the way, are there any plans to release Pixies other Shrek 2 song one day? Would be nice to hear :)

Thanks again FB!

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2013 :  22:56:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi BF, Is it possible we will hear Lyle Workman on one of your records again? I listened to I Need Peace last night on head phones and the guitar sounds on that song are out of this world. Also how long did it take to record the adventure and the resolution? I love it, it seems so techinical and thought out. Was it?

Thank you
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2013 :  08:26:04  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam

Hi BF, Is it possible we will hear Lyle Workman on one of your records again? I listened to I Need Peace last night on head phones and the guitar sounds on that song are out of this world. Also how long did it take to record the adventure and the resolution? I love it, it seems so techinical and thought out. Was it?

Thank you

Lyle did return on the Fastman Raiderman record.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2013 :  19:11:59  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't forget Scotland has more than one place if you are planning on touring over here again.

Last time you played solo in Europe I was on AAA courtesy of your drummer, only I fucked up and got arrested somewhere in between Nijmegen and Zwolle. Long story, not my fault, I was just a guy trying to get home with a broken foot.

Anyway, I'm still sifting through and enjoying your immense back catalogue of great music so no great rush for new material as far as I am concerned, whether it be solo, or with the pixies. you've already made an outstanding contribution to the world of music. I'd love to see you play live again though in whatever form, put your guitar down and punk it out with Jason on the drums and Norman on the guitar. It worked for me anyway, Doornroosje 2007, epic gig. Do that again.

** https://twitter.com/artStuvsSeaton ** https://plus.google.com/u/0/109863394112152727620/posts **

Edited by - pot on 02/26/2013 19:16:24
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2013 :  12:11:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finally found a question (though i think the king is no longer around):
Will the song you did with Tim and Eric (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP1z6Y4wDeo around 0:55) will be released one day? The show version seems shortened (like half the song, the first half isnt there) and has a lot of sound effects on it.
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  04:11:35  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Some questions for the man:
1. It has been nearly a decade since the Catholics broke up. Is it time to revisit and reform them for a one off world tour (including Australia!).
2. Are you looking at producing any more artists Art Brut style again?
3. Who do your kids prefer out of your many bands/guises: Catholics, Pixies, Nashville, Grand Duchy, early solo (FB, TOTY, COR), Frank and Paisley, Golem, mid career solo (Bluefinger, etc)...have I missed anything?
4. Has David Bowie ever suggested you two do an album together?

Thanks for all the great music!
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  04:39:50  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Why have you played so few songs off Fastman/Raiderman, The Golem and NSE live? The songwriting on these albums is stellar, but I don't think I've ever heard anything from NSE besides Dead Man's Curve and Rabbits. The world needs a live version of Cinema Star!

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

The New Bolero
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  15:07:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What'd you think of the Russian meteor? Loved hearing Cecilia Ann as I watched the Get a Life DVD the other day. Thanks for clearing the rights. Do you watch Breaking Bad?
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2013 :  16:32:52  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

Why have you played so few songs off Fastman/Raiderman, The Golem and NSE live? The songwriting on these albums is stellar, but I don't think I've ever heard anything from NSE besides Dead Man's Curve and Rabbits. The world needs a live version of Cinema Star!

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux

I know! What is my trip? I guess it's a comfort zone thing. I never toured nse so there is less connection. FMRM has other connectivity issues...

Bf
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2013 :  16:33:26  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammerhands

Will the webstore be back up in time for your next release?

Yes

Bf
Go to Top of Page

tisasawath
= Cult of Ray =

Wallis and Futuna Islands
783 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2013 :  19:37:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what music do you listen to these days? whose impressed you most?

was Alabaster about reluctance to make new music together?
Go to Top of Page

marcusb
= Cult of Ray =

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  00:26:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wanna say I hope to hear some FMRM live. To tie into the previous question about what music you are listening to, do you go to any shows? Catch anything like The Beach Boys reunion last year?

Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  02:59:41  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pixie punk

Thank you Mr.Black for your answers.Would you consider releasing The Purple Tape outtakes and the Larry Norman cover of "Watch What You're Doing" recorded in those sessions? I'd love to hear those and I'm sure everybody else in this forum too. Gracias :)

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

I believe everything from that session has been released, except for the L Norman cover, which was only a partial performance, so it's never been considered for release. I't's not that great. Trust me. The song is cool but it deserves a complete performance I think...

bf
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  03:01:05  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grotesque

I finally found a question (though i think the king is no longer around):
Will the song you did with Tim and Eric (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP1z6Y4wDeo around 0:55) will be released one day? The show version seems shortened (like half the song, the first half isnt there) and has a lot of sound effects on it.

Thats really up to T&E; it's their song. But I enjoy those guys a lot...

bf
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  03:07:54  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Helmut

Hi,
Some questions for the man:
1. It has been nearly a decade since the Catholics broke up. Is it time to revisit and reform them for a one off world tour (including Australia!).
2. Are you looking at producing any more artists Art Brut style again?
3. Who do your kids prefer out of your many bands/guises: Catholics, Pixies, Nashville, Grand Duchy, early solo (FB, TOTY, COR), Frank and Paisley, Golem, mid career solo (Bluefinger, etc)...have I missed anything?
4. Has David Bowie ever suggested you two do an album together?

Thanks for all the great music!

I think probably a lot of the guys are up for it, but we all have different lives now, and some of the guys are not as involved in live music at the moment, have other careers, etc. We'll see what the boxed set does for interest; who know? That what really is at the core of a lot of touring: the interest of the audience. An artist can want to tour, but when it starts to involve multiple people it has to make financial sense or everyone basically goes broke.

I'd love to produce Art Brut again. I enjoy producing, but it has to come from the artist (I don't like to seek out production gigs).

I'm not sure they have preferences. They seem to be enjoying songs that I have recently recorded, I think, because they have been aware of the songs from writing through to demos and recording and they even saw a couple performed last week at a solo show that they attended.

bf
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  03:10:02  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The New Bolero

What'd you think of the Russian meteor? Loved hearing Cecilia Ann as I watched the Get a Life DVD the other day. Thanks for clearing the rights. Do you watch Breaking Bad?

I haven't really followed the meteor story for some reason. Guess I been busy. Loved that Get A Life Show. I don't know the other show. I don't have a TV in my home and it never goes on in the hotel, so more recent television I am unaware of unless its Brit Comedy, which I watch on laptop...

bf
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  03:10:55  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam

Thank you

It is possible. Sadly our paths have not crossed much of late.

bf

Edited by - blckfrncs on 03/08/2013 03:11:20
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  03:11:50  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Don't forget Scotland has more than one place if you are planning on touring over here again.

Last time you played solo in Europe I was on AAA courtesy of your drummer, only I fucked up and got arrested somewhere in between Nijmegen and Zwolle. Long story, not my fault, I was just a guy trying to get home with a broken foot.

Anyway, I'm still sifting through and enjoying your immense back catalogue of great music so no great rush for new material as far as I am concerned, whether it be solo, or with the pixies. you've already made an outstanding contribution to the world of music. I'd love to see you play live again though in whatever form, put your guitar down and punk it out with Jason on the drums and Norman on the guitar. It worked for me anyway, Doornroosje 2007, epic gig. Do that again.

** https://twitter.com/artStuvsSeaton ** https://plus.google.com/u/0/109863394112152727620/posts **

I love Scotland. If the referendum goes through I shall be tempted to apply for citizenship!

bf

Edited by - blckfrncs on 03/08/2013 03:12:39
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  03:13:47  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux

also, I should say, I think these records really need a band when performed. And I just don't have a solo band at the moment.

bf
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  03:16:26  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

Would you consider touring/recording with the Bluefinger tour band? Nijmegen is an amazing album, that band is excellent! Any reason you haven't played with them since?

we have discussed doing a few shows in France this summer, probably with the pre-Bluefinger band (Ding on bass, me on mic) in connection with a film being made there, but I haven't heard from the film people lately, so I am not sure.

bf
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  03:19:00  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

Thanks for answering my earlier questions. Reading your thoughts about the Dublin precore I get a silly feeling of pride since I recommended the St Stephen's Green bandstand on the old bf.net message board. I'm sure it would be cool to see a band doing it too - the Violent Femmes sure did it.

Can we get more details about your contribution(s?) to the Slim Dunlop benefit recordings? Are you a fan of The Replacements?

I am a fan of The Replacements. Their Let It Be record was a big part of my listening when I was starting The Pixies. I can't reveal much about the Slim recordings as I'm sure the folk doing those releases would prefer to tell you about it themselves, but there is something in the pipeline...

bf
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  03:22:43  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nomenclature

My question for Frank is pretty simple, but it's one that I've always wondered:

What's it like to create something that's so revered? I can't imagine what it must be like to have millions of people around the world (including myself) continually obsess about music that you wrote in your twenties. Do you comprehend the level of intensity in their adulation of your songs, or do you just think it's weird and incomprehensible? I guess what I'm asking is: do you see why your songs are so fascinating to people, or do you just see them as some silly little songs you wrote when you were younger?

I am very pleased that I have fans around the world. There is no greater pleasure for the artist, except maybe making the art itself; but these two aspects of art are so intertwined it's actually not easy to think about them separately, I suppose. Adulation is not something I really think about; that's not to say I don't have a big ego, I DO! But I don't actually think about the adulation, I just enjoy it.

bf
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  03:24:13  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matto

Hey man! thanks for holding court

1) any chance of a Bluefinger or SVN FNGRS vinyl? (Christmass is an amazing vinyl re-release, thanks very much!)

2) thanks for everything, have a good tour, and I've made 30" of shelf space available for the Catholics box set

sminki pinki

we are trying to release everything on vinyl through The Bureau, but it takes time as we are a very small label.

bf
Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  03:49:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi BF,

Thx for coming on here, what a treat. I have seen you make reference to MES and the Fall in the past. i am a huge Fall fan and a huge BF fan.

Would you consider collaboration? I know Ding knows MES very well......

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  06:25:11  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blckfrncs

I love Scotland. If the referendum goes through I shall be tempted to apply for citizenship!

bf

Well I'd recommend stocking up on Vitamin D supplements if you are ever thinking of staying here for longer than 3 days.

But I don't think Scotland will get independence, if it does we'll just end up with a scaled down more local version of Westminster, which is more or less what we have now. Alex Salmond has kind of shot himself in the foot with the whole Donald Trump affair, and who knows maybe that's the plan.

I'm aspiring towards emigrating to somewhere in the geographical vicinity of Andalucia before it even goes to the polls. Westminster vs. Holyrood...... It's not a difficult choice for me. I vote in favour of complete independence from both!

Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1072 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  06:32:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you become a naturalised Scot you will have to change your name again - how about Black McFrancis?! You would have to collaborate once more with Teenage Fanclub (which would never be a bad thing!) do your paths ever cross these days? I recall they opened for the Pixies at Meadowbank Edinburgh 2005? That was a really great gig btw.

Sticking with the Scotland theme where did the inspiration come from for Selkie Bride? Coming from the northern isles of Scotland myself the folklore of the selkie is familiar but curious to see how it came to be an FB song.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  07:03:58  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
...or there's Robert Onion? I used to go to school with a guy called Robert Onion, but he got murdered in 1990. As far as I know that name is still available.

Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  11:25:07  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks again for your answers.All the best with the new recordings and hopefully one day you can come back to Puerto Rico and play a show for your fans here.I did travel to Tampa to see the reunion in 2004 :)

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  12:52:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm moving to Scotland from Canada in August or September - seems like we have enough people there for a convention, haha. I did my exchange year at university a few years ago and fell in love with it.
I was meaning to ask, what was the name of the haunted bar from Ghost Coming, and what Scottish city was it in?
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  13:34:52  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

I'm moving to Scotland from Canada in August or September - seems like we have enough people there for a convention, haha. I did my exchange year at university a few years ago and fell in love with it.
I was meaning to ask, what was the name of the haunted bar from Ghost Coming, and what Scottish city was it in?

I don't know never heard of that. I think all pubs in Scotland are haunted. All bars are haunted, or at least have stories. I've worked in a few bars anyway and most of them seemed to have ghost stories, one was in an old church that was renovated which apparently had dead cats in the walls, used to creep the shit out of me when I was upstairs on my own stocking up sometimes. One guy I worked with said a pair of glasses once flew off the bar and hit him in the side, but I don't know if he was bullshitting me or not. That was in Manchester though..

Edited by - pot on 03/08/2013 13:35:47
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000