-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 questions black francis for 2013

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
blckfrncs Posted - 02/22/2013 : 18:23:46
hi

it's been awhile since i've posted here. i suppose there hasn't been too much to talk about since pixies have been quiet since 2011 and i can't recall having released any records in the last 6 months. however, i have been playing a few solo shows, have done a few interviews, and have observed a bit of speculation here and there about all of the usual. i suppose i can answer a few questions here for those in the loop on this forum; i can't answer everything, which i know is a constant source of frustration for some fans. all can say is

1) there is frequently nothing "new" to report or
2) it's not appropriate to comment on something simply because someone asks the question

i'm honored that my career as a cult rock performer and writer would cause as much speculation as it does. that speculation is, of course, wildly incorrect most of the time, whatever that is worth. always has been, always will be, and there's nothing i can do about it. the internet is the largest bathroom wall in the world, and this is my latest scribble there...

bf
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Discoking Posted - 03/22/2018 : 04:19:52
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

the signed polaroids from Bluefinger

what are these?
where/how could one acquire them?
pics?

thx!

it's educational
picpic Posted - 03/22/2018 : 01:13:34
I frequently use the search option to find old mrblckfrncs posts.

AFAIK his latest Q&A was mid-2015 (on Periscope). I posted it on my Youtube channel back in the day. Questions were pretty lame unfortunately.

1 Q&A before EP1 was realease (this thread)
1 Q&A before HC sessions (mid-2015 on Periscope)

I guess the next one will popup anytime soon ! i'm preparing my questions just in case.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Stevio10 Posted - 03/21/2018 : 11:12:32
A nice read this thread for hindsight (bar seeing my silly comments!) and was really awesome when BF would stop round. Wonder what happened to the record with Paley / R Stevie Moore?
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 12/31/2013 : 10:33:52
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

quote:
Originally posted by Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo

quote:

Who would win in a fight, Black Francis or Frank Black?

My guess: Frank Black (he seems to be more patient)

++++

I think the odds may be stacked in Black Francis' favour as he could 'Turn into a Monster when I fight' a la Svn Fngrs and Frank Black might say 'I Don't Want to Hurt You' although rather ominously in brackets he says (not every single time.

Too close to call.

If you hadn't answered your own question, this would be genius.

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Stevio10 Posted - 12/31/2013 : 03:11:33
quote:
Originally posted by Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo

quote:

++++

I think the odds may be stacked in Black Francis' favour as he could 'Turn into a Monster when I fight' a la Svn Fngrs and Frank Black might say 'I Don't Want to Hurt You' although rather ominously in brackets he says (not every single time.

Too close to call.
Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo Posted - 12/31/2013 : 00:22:53
quote:

++++
Stevio10 Posted - 12/30/2013 : 21:41:03
Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo Posted - 12/30/2013 : 03:35:58
Aloha Black,

Will we be lucky enough to hear David Lovering lead singing on some new Pixies songs?
I am currently re-discovering the record he did with Joey Santiago in 2009 "Avatar".
This is pretty good.
Have you listenned to it?
Any thoughts?

Cheers!

++++
BoredOfTheValley Posted - 12/18/2013 : 21:36:17
Hi Frank.

I love Honeycomb. What was it like to work with Steve Cropper?
matto Posted - 12/17/2013 : 04:46:42
"Amnesia" on vinyl would make it worth my while to plunk down $ towards a Kickstarter or other crowd-sourced - or traditional sales - mechanism for another b-sides / rarities / live covers compilation. Could we do this? I would be willing volunteer time to work with The Bureau.

--------
baby poop, curry
Stevio10 Posted - 12/17/2013 : 04:05:32
A question or 3 for blckfrncs;

Shaun Rider of the Happy Mondays and Black Grape fame has been presenting an investgative TV show on the History channel (UK) on UFO's. Not that I have the means or resources, but if you were approached to do one of these programmes would it be something that would interest you?

Does the subject matter still interest you and can we expect any more extraterrestrial themes in your music?

As a parent what is your take on the subject, should we deny all knowledge to the wee ones, or embrace the possibility?

Cheers!
Jose Jones Posted - 12/16/2013 : 16:31:44
*Stomps on foot* excuse me, mr thompson,

your solo career was a non-stop onslaught of newly recorded music. are you itching to get back to that carefree pace with the pixies, or does this (relative) trickle of musical output better suit your current lifestyle (married with a gaggle of dependents)?

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Discoking Posted - 12/12/2013 : 21:18:53
^ what?

it's educational
trobrianders Posted - 12/12/2013 : 11:23:28
blckfrncs, what's your view on a guy in your position biting the hand that feeds?

Jose Jones Posted - 12/03/2013 : 17:07:05
blckfrncs,

you give an inspiring rant against newfangled mobile phones and such, but i'm sure they're priceless for a guy touring a different continent than the one his bunches of kids and wonderful wife are on.

if you really want to end the Pixies Appreciation Tell-A-Thon then release new music (LOTS of it) and play it all at shows. weed out the hosers. PIXIES 2.0, mofo!

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Classic Masher Posted - 12/03/2013 : 14:47:28
Mr. Francis- Thanks for stopping by again.

I have really good tickets to see you guys in January in DC, do I need to worry it won't happen? Will you guys be announcing a new touring bassist soon?

Any chance you will ever do "The Cover of Rolling Stone" live with the whole band?

Any chance I will see Pixies play my forum name-sake (Classic Masher) at the DC show?

"Mixed messages from Sir Naff, please authenticate..."
two reelers Posted - 12/03/2013 : 08:30:47
The record "Trompe le monde" - it has a narrative, right, and this narrative is travelling through space and time, even more right?

Would you agree that Cat Stevens is the best combination of a songwriter and musician?

I never heard you say anything about Pink Floyd - are they completely off your radar? If not, do you have a favourite album by them? If yes, is it Animals? If not, which else?

Which trio of this three do you like most: Police, The (early) Cure, or Trio?

Do you like the latest Leonard Cohen album? Have you seen him on his most recent tour, and if yes, what went through your mind seeing the man perform?

What do you think of Dinosaur Jr.'s reunion album "Beyond"?

Do you like the Pet Shop Boys?

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Mac E. Doobage Posted - 12/02/2013 : 17:27:35
Gibson SG. Why now?
The New Bolero Posted - 12/02/2013 : 16:15:26
Looking forward to seeing you in Phoenix in February. Who'll be playing bass?
blckfrncs Posted - 12/02/2013 : 16:13:27
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

2 Questions:
1) Would you ever consider busting out some Black Francis songs like Threshold or 6 Legged Man at a Pixies show?
2) Would you ever consider maybe doing a low-key unpublicized frankblack.net presale to gigs? I think it is great that the Pixies are doing cool intimate venues, but shows like the Barrowlands tonight that I'm missing sell out in 2-3 minutes, with hundreds being sold online for over 100 pounds. It would ensure that those of us who have followed your career all the way through - the ones who have a favourite Catholics record or who have been dedicated enough to have the signed polaroids from Bluefinger or the Golem box sets - to get some tickets before the scalpers and casual Pixies fans. I don't feel entitled to this, but it might be a neat idea.

I hope the gig and rest of the tour goes well. Digging EP-1 and looking forward to EP-2, and maybe even LP-5.

Never say never, but no, never
Bf
blckfrncs Posted - 12/02/2013 : 16:11:13
quote:
Originally posted by leon993

When I first listened to EP1, I though Andro Queen sounded like a personal experience (alien first experience), indie Cindy like a song to young would-be fans, another toe like something for radio and what goes boom a heavy metal opening, which was far off pixies as any song, like pixies searching for new fans. Am I far off here?

There is no far off; there is no close by. Only music

Bf
leon993 Posted - 11/25/2013 : 09:42:08
When I first listened to EP1, I though Andro Queen sounded like a personal experience (alien first experience), indie Cindy like a song to young would-be fans, another toe like something for radio and what goes boom a heavy metal opening, which was far off pixies as any song, like pixies searching for new fans. Am I far off here?
shineoftheever Posted - 11/24/2013 : 12:48:49
quote:
Originally posted by blckfrncs

quote:
Originally posted by shineoftheever

We (visitors/readers of this forum)really owe you a lot Dean. Cheers!

Hello Frank,

I just wanna say keep up the good work! I eagerly await your next release. Just a couple questions:

1) I know tattoos aren't everybody's cuppa, but if done right (well) can be very artistic in their own right (I don't think many can argue that) i'm a big tattoo fanatic and have decided to get a tattoo of yourself, an homage if you will. I just can't decide what picture. originally wanted to do beach scene with you cruisin' in a hovercraft. then i wanted to do a profile type black/white rendition of the drawing beneath the inlay from Honeycomb. But i think what would really look the best and capture what i'm trying to get across is a fairly true rendering of the oddballs cover but i really need the full head shot for the artist to work with - how can i get this?

2) teenager of the year 20th anniversary tour next year?

JL

20th Anniversary Tour; Teenager Of The Year: Live and Complete - Coming Soon in 2014 to your favorite venue!

JL-

I think if you are going to commit to a tattoo of my own face, I think you should use a photograph from the photographer MICHAEL HALSBAND; he is the simply the best.

Ch

can't believe i missed this many moons ago and thanks for the pointer. i will take to my tattooer. some damn fine photography from MH. i had heard of him before but wasn't aware he took those TOTY photos. too cool!

keep up the good work!!! EP1 just gets better and better.

any word on the FB&tC box set?

"Do Re Me So Far So Good"
Stevio10 Posted - 11/22/2013 : 21:31:49
Thats a great idea Brank - I found myself in the same situation. I remember the 'good' old days where I went to Virgin Megastore to get my FB&C's tickets for King Tuts and being amazed they had them in stock.
Brank_Flack Posted - 11/22/2013 : 07:04:15
2 Questions:
1) Would you ever consider busting out some Black Francis songs like Threshold or 6 Legged Man at a Pixies show?
2) Would you ever consider maybe doing a low-key unpublicized frankblack.net presale to gigs? I think it is great that the Pixies are doing cool intimate venues, but shows like the Barrowlands tonight that I'm missing sell out in 2-3 minutes, with hundreds being sold online for over 100 pounds. It would ensure that those of us who have followed your career all the way through - the ones who have a favourite Catholics record or who have been dedicated enough to have the signed polaroids from Bluefinger or the Golem box sets - to get some tickets before the scalpers and casual Pixies fans. I don't feel entitled to this, but it might be a neat idea.

I hope the gig and rest of the tour goes well. Digging EP-1 and looking forward to EP-2, and maybe even LP-5.
fumanbru Posted - 10/12/2013 : 03:33:15
I was reading the Thread about Valley of Our Hope (Anagrams and Acrostics) the other day and I really admire the layers in your music.

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=69

Any hints to other songs you have written over your career that have a hidden puzzle that maybe haven’t yet been publicly discovered?

How are you enjoying the tour? I loved the Pixies itunes festival! Not much banter between songs. Nothing wrong with that as I go to a concert to hear and feel the music, however, I really enjoy brief interaction between some songs from the artist. I find your non Pixies shows you can be much more chatty which I really enjoy. Any thoughts?

At this point in time what are your top 5 Pixies songs? Mine are:

New Big Prinz
Android Queen
Wave of Mutilation UK Surf
Planet of Sound
What Goes Boom

Thanks for the new music and tour!

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"...long live snitz!!
Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo Posted - 06/30/2013 : 07:33:12
Hi, I have a couple of questions about Jeremy Dubs.

How were you introduce to each other? If you could tell us a little more.

I remember an interview I read in a French magazine published sometimes around the Cult of Ray era and Bowie's birthday (I think it was "Best", if anyone in the forum recall and could confirm), I lost the copy and never managed to find it anywhere until now but you were speaking about a disabled young man in a wheelchair wearing a Pixies t-shirt who asked you an autograph after a show. You described how this particular moment stroke you as an entertainer. I cant' remember the precise words you used but you explained that you understood what being a pop singer and what pop music could mean in the life of such people and in that one's in particular. How it was IMPORTANT for him. It was a very touching comment and I remmember how I was moved by that story considering the vision I had of you as the hardcore teenage fan I was at the time and the influence it had in my life as an art provider.

When I first heard and saw Jeremy Dubs I could'nt help considering the possibility that he may be the young man you spoke about in this interview last century... Hearing him as a "guest Pixie" recently reinforced the wondering. Do you remember all this?

Thank you for your attention and thanks for the latest events that keep the Pixies concept and your personna in the field of Mystery and History that has to remain the soil of Pop Culture in opposition to mere and plain "news" of the digital age.

The French Tarot Guy.

++++
trobrianders Posted - 06/27/2013 : 05:32:27
quote:
Originally posted by simibaby

Hi. God bless, sincerely. You might consider this a silly question, BUT I DON'T haha. When the P's reunited in 2004, I saw you 20 (TWENTY) times! and adored every second of it. Lowell-2, Philly-2, DC-2, Hammerstein (NYC)-8, Jones Beach-1, Coney Island-1, Boston-1, Then 2009 ("Doolittle tour") Hammerstein-3 I'm just braggin here. But me question is:

(Especially in 2004-05)....Everytime you did "Monkey..." you would sing the very last part differently every nite which was soooooooo cool.

Like (just paraphrasing) a) "this m's bought her haven" or b) "this m's drawn to seven" or whatever. (Too long ago for me to remember all of them) Am I right? Cuz I remember posting that here, but peeps were saying they didnt believe me! haha And I would think: Did YOU guys see him 14 times in 20 days?!

I thought like, maybe, you guys did that to break up the monotony. Love you! bye

Here's a link to The Donkey Sanctuary in Devon http://www.thedonkeysanctuary.org.uk/

He didn't by chance sing "This donkey's gone to Devon" on one of those nights did he?

pot Posted - 06/27/2013 : 04:48:17
A question to Charles- I recently watched a documentary about the South African hip hop artist Watkin Tudor Jones, who like yourself has released music under a variety of different stage names, himself also as Max Normal and now Ninja (Die Antwoord), often changing between different personas on the same album. This documentary reckoned that this was partly due to his Buddhist beliefs, which compare the soul to 'a flame passing from candle to candle, chronologically linked but without any persistent self.' In other words the absolute self is an illusion, and forever transient. Having yourself been known earlier as Black Francis, then Frank Black, and then back again to Black Francis can you relate to that in the same way?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgRUlVZbpcg
simibaby Posted - 06/21/2013 : 12:20:13
Hi. God bless, sincerely. You might consider this a silly question, BUT I DON'T haha. When the P's reunited in 2004, I saw you 20 (TWENTY) times! and adored every second of it. Lowell-2, Philly-2, DC-2, Hammerstein (NYC)-8, Jones Beach-1, Coney Island-1, Boston-1, Then 2009 ("Doolittle tour") Hammerstein-3 I'm just braggin here. But me question is:

(Especially in 2004-05)....Everytime you did "Monkey..." you would sing the very last part differently every nite which was soooooooo cool.

Like (just paraphrasing) a) "this m's bought her haven" or b) "this m's drawn to seven" or whatever. (Too long ago for me to remember all of them) Am I right? Cuz I remember posting that here, but peeps were saying they didnt believe me! haha And I would think: Did YOU guys see him 14 times in 20 days?!

I thought like, maybe, you guys did that to break up the monotony. Love you! bye
matto Posted - 06/20/2013 : 14:34:43
How could I procure or trade for one of your paintings? (particularly http://amherststuckists.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/image5.jpg)
natenate101 Posted - 06/19/2013 : 20:48:42
Question for you BF: You use so many different "voices" in your songs, Massif Centrale for example has you alternating between a few.
"Baby, honest, have some wine" Deeper sound
"Sleep in gardens where I play my lute" High pitch
"Thats the siiiign of her love behavior" Sorta gruff
Do you determine the vocal range/style when you initially write the song, or does it comes from rehearsing, trying a few for the same section and seeing what sounds best?

Also, any particular reason San Francisco wasn't on the tour sites this time around?
Hoping to have you out here again soon. Wanted to state like others have, that it is so awesome to have you contributing to the board.
Thanks for all the great music over the years.
blckfrncs Posted - 06/19/2013 : 19:37:28
quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders

quote:

quote:

Hi Charles, can you tell us a little about Wild Son. Don't think I've been more intrigued by one of your songs.

well. what you wanna know?

Anything that comes to mind Charles. An off the wall response would be ok even. Or specifically, what inspired the song and what did you like best in the music/arrangements for the song. And a frame of reference for the lyrics.

Like most of the songs from that record, WILD SON is simply musing about love and sexuality, some personal, some not. Not trying to convey a message to the listener, other than "I am trying to do songs that are tinged with my own erotic and romantic notions".

bf
IBreed Posted - 06/12/2013 : 09:56:12
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Classic Masher

Hi Charles,
It's so cool that you come here and post on these forums. Thanks for that.
As you can tell from my screen name, I love the new songs (Andro Queen, Greens and Blues, Indie Cindy, Silver Snail and, of course, Classic Masher). When can we expect to see these on an album? Might that album feature the guitar styling of a certain Mr. Santiago?

"Next message is from Suriname, please authenticate..."

Mixed messages from Sir Naff; please authenticate...

Indie Cindy! Hope we get to hear the full song soon... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urUZ7LXaOkE)
trobrianders Posted - 05/23/2013 : 04:29:57
quote:

quote:

Hi Charles, can you tell us a little about Wild Son. Don't think I've been more intrigued by one of your songs.

well. what you wanna know?

Anything that comes to mind Charles. An off the wall response would be ok even. Or specifically, what inspired the song and what did you like best in the music/arrangements for the song. And a frame of reference for the lyrics.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000