Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  06:56:32  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Out today in Europe. Anyone heard it yet?

http://courantblogs.com/sound-check/grand-duchy-black-francis-let-the-people-speak/

Edited by - pot on 04/09/2012 06:57:36
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  07:41:16  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A poor review in The Skinny- 2/5 stars :-o

http://www.theskinny.co.uk/music/records/301626-grand_duchy_let_people_speak

quote:
Every marriage has its ups and downs; Let the People Speak is mostly the latter. Husband and wife Frank Black and Violet Clark follow up Grand Duchy’s 2009 debut Petit Fours with another eclectic collection of divergent genre dabblings, but it’s hardly the stuff on which iconic reputations are built, nor maintained.

Edited by - pot on 04/09/2012 07:41:30
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  12:24:31  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just listened to the 1m30s previews on iTunes. Have to say I think it sounds quite good! Better than Petit Fours. Violets vocals sound good and the overall production is pretty slick, plenty of variation throughout. Wish I had a full copy to listen to, hope it comes up on 3voor12 tomorrow...

A good mixture of Frank and Violet's different styles that comes together pretty well I think. If I had the funds I definitely buy this, I think it will surprise many on here (myself included) who doubted this album. I'd probably give it a 4/5 based on just the samples.

Edited by - pot on 04/09/2012 12:35:22
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  13:48:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you ever used Spotify, pot? The full album is on there now. Plus the remixes album.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  14:15:26  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a spotify account but never use it. Thanks for the head's up I will now start using it :-)
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  22:11:02  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ouch.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/16488-grand-duchy-let-the-people-speak/

"Look, there are worse crimes than making a boring alt-tronica record, but if you're responsible for Doolittle and Surfer Rosa and Trompe Le Monde, you're beholden to a certain set of expectations. If this is the music he's inspired to make with the people he loves, I'll stick with the music he made with people he hated."

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

Don Eduardo
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
403 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  23:09:10  Show Profile  Click to see Don Eduardo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's pretty clear this album is very much a Violet project, so if the rest of the album's as bad as the songs I've heard so far (White Out, Shady, the myspace remixes) I won't be that disappointed. It seems like it's a concentration of the more grating parts of Petit Fours (the singing on Long Song and Volcano, all of Break The Angels).

Bring on a new FB/BF album.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  23:23:27  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Funny, the singing on Long Song is the only thing I'd save from the first album.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  23:28:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it's all on Spotify now. Worth a listen. Haven't really warmed to it so far, I'm afraid. 'See-thru You' is one of the better ones.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2012 :  00:21:48  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde
but if you're responsible for Doolittle and Surfer Rosa and Trompe Le Monde, you're beholden to a certain set of expectations.

No mention on Bossanova?

I'm afraid I just can't take the review seriously then..

Oh and Re: Long Song yeah I hate that song too. Not because it's too long, but because it's wank. Well I guess you could say it's 5m16s too long..

Really enjoying Geode, het is veel goede. Third listen so far today, love the synth.

Edited by - pot on 04/10/2012 01:12:42
Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2012 :  01:49:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/16488-grand-duchy-let-the-people-speak/

"Look, there are worse crimes than making a boring alt-tronica record, but if you're responsible for Doolittle and Surfer Rosa and Trompe Le Monde, you're beholden to a certain set of expectations. If this is the music he's inspired to make with the people he loves, I'll stick with the music he made with people he hated."

Haha - usually dont pay any creedence to pitchfork but thats a pretty good summary tbh.

I won't be too unkind as its obviously creative and driven by Violet but i feel that FBF should get back to doing what he does best. I for one would not sit through another spin of that record.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2012 :  02:32:10  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
wait... I thought you liked it?

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

markos
- FB Fan -

55 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2012 :  04:51:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well... I've heard worse things, but seriously its time for FB to re-emerge as a creative force once more. Too many half arsed duet records and second string songs pulled together masquerading as albums. There is still great stuff here and there, but the man needs to re-find the unerring consistency and blistering energy his early records had and he has re-found occasionally with DITS and Bluefinger.

As for Let the People Speak- I hate the intro-outro stuff. Horrific. Much of the 'surreal' babble present in both the DJ speak and actual lyrics is just pretentious and annoying. I like the song Shady and one or two others a bit.

Edited by - markos on 04/10/2012 04:52:40
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2012 :  05:12:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
slicing up eyeballs - New releases: Dalis Car, World Party, Pixies’ Black Francis, John Doe & Exene Cervenka.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2012 :  06:09:26  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I really like Geode, it's quite Eurythmicsy and has a bit of a Arabic feel to it. Always a winning combination.

Dark Sparkles and The Beat is also a great track and has a very Pixies-esque bass line. I seriously am int6o this album a lot more than I thought I would be.

I said after Petit Fours that they need to put more emphasis on Violet's synthy new wave sound and it looks like they have done so. With lots of help from a .. of great artists she has pulled it off in grand style. I think I have already listened to this album more than I ever did Petit Fours.

There is some Frank Blacky stuff in there as well, most notably Where is John Frum? but don't fret all ye hardcore AOR heads I'm sure Mr Black Francis has some good stuff coming soon.

Like I say I think The Catholics should reform and get Kim Gordon on Board, I think that could work.

Edited by - pot on 04/10/2012 10:42:49
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  06:20:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't find it on 3voor and I don't think Spotify works in Ireland so I might just give this a miss. Especially since it's an hour long and none of the previously released tracks really hit me (White Out was awful, Silver Boys annoying and Shady was only redeemed by BF's vocals).

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  06:24:58  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you listen to the whole album you will hear Violet shining through with her vocals. She really can sing and with a variety of different styles.
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  06:37:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't get me wrong I quite enjoyed Petit Fours and some of her vocals. In fact, I kinda agree with a friend's assessment that her vocals were better than BF's, who when screaming sounded like he had a towel stuck down his throat. I'd give PF a rating of 3 out of 5. It's just rather forgettable (besides Emersinde and Black Suit) and blighted by what I'd call pretentiousness.

I'm sure I'll give Let the People Speak a spin when I'm less busy (I'm almost half way through Ulysses.. gulp), but I'm not looking forward to it that much.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  10:00:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Daily Trojan - Grand Duchy falters with amateurish new album.

Baeblemusic.com - STREAM: GRAND DUCHY.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  11:39:47  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just listening to the album on that Baebelmusic site, White Out sounds different to the version I listened to on Spotify. I think it is the remix version. Yep also Where is John Frum, Rest of the tracks sound like the originals though...

Edited by - pot on 04/12/2012 12:03:49
Go to Top of Page

pixie punk
> Teenager of the Year <

2923 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  02:54:44  Show Profile  Visit pixie punk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.talkrocktome.com/grand-duchy-love-marriage-and-music-making/ : )

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
944 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  04:06:08  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pixie punk

http://www.talkrocktome.com/grand-duchy-love-marriage-and-music-making/ : )

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

that is a fantastic interview.

and p.s. I really like this record!

sminki pinki
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  04:13:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heather Phares of AMG seems to have liked the album, awarding it 3.5 stars out of 5. Same rating as Bluefinger, BLD, Honeycomb, Fastman and SMYT.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/let-the-people-speak-r2412900/review
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  05:52:53  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

Heather Phares of AMG seems to have liked the album, awarding it 3.5 stars out of 5. Same rating as Bluefinger, BLD, Honeycomb, Fastman and SMYT.

It tells you the composer for each track in this article. Who is this Warfield who part wrote Silver Boys with BF? Must say it's one of my least favourite tracks on the album, and interestingly my favourites all seem to be the ones composed solely by Violet.

Go to Top of Page

arthur.
- FB Fan -

19 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  06:59:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This record is the worst thing from the Man EVER :( I hope the catholics box will be worth it - everything is so disappointing since the Golem => Non stop erotic + Abaduba + Paley + Grand Duchy... Charles what are you doing ???

arthur.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  07:03:06  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Come on, NSE was good... and the Golem is only 2 years old.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
944 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  07:05:52  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

It tells you the composer for each track in this article. Who is this Warfield who part wrote Silver Boys with BF? Must say it's one of my least favourite tracks on the album, and interestingly my favourites all seem to be the ones composed solely by Violet.

I clicky on Warfield and got this
http://www.allmusic.com/artist/warfield-p14670

sminki pinki
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  11:07:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Simply awful. I still love Frank, but this...this is awful.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I want the guy who did this. I want him. I want him bad........" TJ Hooker
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

961 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  13:19:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by arthur.

This record is the worst thing from the Man EVER :( I hope the catholics box will be worth it - everything is so disappointing since the Golem => Non stop erotic + Abaduba + Paley + Grand Duchy... Charles what are you doing ???

arthur.

quote:
Originally posted by TRANSMARINE

Simply awful. I still love Frank, but this...this is awful.

I know I compared the AMG review to reviews of FB albums but I think people need to recognise this as a Violet Clark venture. Most of the interviews state that BF purposely took a back seat so I'm just gonna look at it as BF merely (and noblly) helping his wife's creative ambitions come to fruition.

He mentioned on Facebook shortly after Christmas that he was getting up to some serious songwriting so I look forward to whatever culminated from that. Presume it'll be next year before anything is released though.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  15:21:56  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This thing, for me, is simply unlistenable. I find essentially nothing that speaks to me on any level, unless it's saying "turn off the stereo and go read a book or something."

Ayerigvlagabriga-Raraaaargh!-Rumbahl-Jumbahl!
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  23:55:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really great interview with Violet posted above. A good find.

Quite liked 'Petits Fours', but I'm really not into this record, sadly.

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2012 :  01:54:32  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fuck it. Get Violet in on the Pixies instead of Kim and do an album. Just listening to Dark Sparkels and the Beat and the end where FB comes in with the old Pixies guitar twangs, with the deep bass line and Violet's singing it totally works! I think Violet could really work in the band, and why not? *awaits backlash*

I like the way you can hear a real Pixies style coming through on some of the tracks. And the radio commentary (which I don't mind at all and think works well to give the album structure and continuity, if a little pretentious) the bit at the end of Geode reminds me of the lyrics to Subbacultcha but not sure if that's done on purpose.
Go to Top of Page

onyone
- FB Fan -

Yugoslavia
96 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2012 :  04:59:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Fuck it. Get Violet in on the Pixies instead of Kim and do an album. Just listening to Dark Sparkels and the Beat and the end where FB comes in with the old Pixies guitar twangs, with the deep bass line and Violet's singing it totally works! I think Violet could really work in the band, and why not? *awaits backlash*

I like the way you can hear a real Pixies style coming through on some of the tracks. And the radio commentary (which I don't mind at all and think works well to give the album structure and continuity, if a little pretentious) the bit at the end of Geode reminds me of the lyrics to Subbacultcha but not sure if that's done on purpose.

How much pot do you smoke Pot?
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2012 :  05:22:55  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
not enough I guess.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2012 :  07:42:08  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
^^The correct answer.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000