503 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2012 :  09:47:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's even worse.
Go to Top of Page

Mickey
- FB Fan -

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2012 :  11:33:20  Show Profile  Visit Mickey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, they need some time to get ready for the tour.

-Mickey
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5451 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2012 :  12:07:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
difinitive?
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2012 :  00:47:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darwin

difinitive?

definitely not.

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2012 :  00:54:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matto

http://thebureaurecords.com/news.html
06 January

"includes some 6 discs worth of material spanning from 1997-2003. Nearly 120 tracks"

What does nearly 120 tracks mean? Hopefully 119 :)
I counted about 100 that I know of, including SSMVGD - so maybe there will be some nice surprises. Having the albums remastered will make it worth getting anyway for me.

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  08:05:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A Catholics live concert album is long overdue. Looking forward to it. That we're getting it on vinyl makes it even better.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  14:57:43  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

I couldn't tell if he was joking with me or not but apparently the presentation will be alphabetical as opposed to album-by-album. The more I think about this, the more I think he was joking and I was too open-jawed to catch it.

I look forward to seeing how they lay out six albums worth of material plus Snake Oil, One More Road For The Hit and Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day over 6 discs. The John Peel Session kicked so much arse it would be a nice inclusion, too.

Something weird's going on.

I blame PLESK!
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  15:19:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bluray? C'mon now.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  15:30:55  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I still listen to vinyl :(
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1036 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  17:08:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm excited to pick this up. The Catholics were a great live band. Maybe they'll release some other shows. Glad to see the forums back.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  04:27:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually think an alphabetical box set is a great idea. I hope he does it that way.

Me, I've got the original albums already. I don't need to buy 'em again. They're OOP, but still easy to find. Offering up this stuff in a completely different presentation would make the box set unique and not a rehash.

Edited by - Jason on 01/18/2012 04:29:34
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7440 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  05:22:25  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1965
What does nearly 120 tracks mean? Hopefully 119 :)
I counted about 100 that I know of, including SSMVGD - so maybe there will be some nice surprises. Having the albums remastered will make it worth getting anyway for me.

I counted 118 including the DITS demos which are not technically Catholics, and the live Nadine ep. 110 without them. That includes: FB&TC / Pistolero / SSMVGD / DiTS / BLD / DW / SMYT / One More Road / Snake Oil. So I don't really see anything totally new included on the box set.
I'm still buying it though.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1114 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  22:18:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason

Offering up this stuff in a completely different presentation would make the box set unique and not a rehash.

it would still be a rehash, in my opinion.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  10:42:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

quote:

Offering up this stuff in a completely different presentation would make the box set unique and not a rehash.

it would still be a rehash, in my opinion.

it's educational

How many times did Silvertone re-release The Stone Roses first album and subsequent compilations with the same tracks? That is a record that will never be broken.

I think BF is entitled to have at least one go.

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  17:32:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rehashification. Alt versions, false starts, covers, banter, in between song power dumps recorded live to two track; whatever. Just um give me some Truth.
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1036 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  06:14:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While coming up with a different tracklisting, alphabetical or otherwise, for the box set may yield some interesting song combinations, I don't think it's a good idea. I like each album's continuity, so I'm glad I can still listen to the albums proper whenever I want. Full unedited concerts, any live footage and unreleased or alternate versions, could be amazing to hear. and I hope are the future of Catholics boxsets or albums.
Go to Top of Page

kfs
= Cult of Ray =

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  12:44:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remember how expensive the Pixies box set was? I didn't buy it.
I'll happily spend lots of money for the FB&Cs box set!
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  14:51:09  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am dying to hear the Catholics albums remastered on quality vinyl. Nothing sounds better imo. Rehash or no, I'll pay whatever it costs. It will be mine!

Ayerigvlagabriga-Raraaaargh!-Rumbahl-Jumbahl!
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2012 :  15:55:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the alphabetical idea because during those years, Frank Black wasn't really into the whole "album" concept. He said something on this very forum a long time ago (Yeesh, maybe 10 years ago) that stuck with me. Someone here asked him what his favorite Catholics album was and Frank replied with something like "albums are an artificial format". What he meant by that was that he didn't put much thought (at the time) into his albums as unified statements. He just saw 'em as the latest batch of songs that he wanted to put out. An alphabetical Catholics box set would be representative of that mentality. Because it would just be about the songs.

Whatever Frank does with this though, I'm sure it'll be cool. They seem to be spending a lot of time with it.

Edited by - Jason on 01/20/2012 19:42:24
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  10:20:28  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I like the alphabetical idea because during those years, Frank Black wasn't really into the whole "album" concept. He said something on this very forum a long time ago (Yeesh, maybe 10 years ago) that stuck with me. Someone here asked him what his favorite Catholics album was and Frank replied with something like "albums are an artificial format". What he meant by that was that he didn't put much thought (at the time) into his albums as unified statements. He just saw 'em as the latest batch of songs that he wanted to put out. An alphabetical Catholics box set would be representative of that mentality. Because it would just be about the songs.

Whatever Frank does with this though, I'm sure it'll be cool. They seem to be spending a lot of time with it.

I can dig that. The thing is, however he saw/sees the albums, each one of those Catholics albums has a completely different sound and feel. Some higher fidelity (Dog in the Sand) and some lower (Catholics). They all sound like they were recorded in a different room with it's own qualities. I think they may have been, can't remember off hand. Try to imagine Stupid Me followed by Suffering (There might be another one in between, but you get the idea).

A lot of those albums are characterized by jarring shifts, but at least the sound texture is the same throughout. The alphabetical thing is hugely unappealing to me. Maybe I'm in the minority.

Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1036 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2012 :  17:48:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand if people are excited for the alphabetical listing and I think I've read an interview where Frank discussed his thoughts on the albums but I still don't care for rupturing the continuity of the records. I agree with johnnyribcage about the sound issue, if they left all of the tracks as originally recorded, the shifts would be jarring. But even if they altered something to get rid of that effect, I still am not interested, because regardless of what Frank thinks, I enjoy the songs the way they're grouped together. Maybe it's ironic, given how he views the songs but I think the albums he and Catholics created are unique works unto themselves.

Whatever music they conjured on each record was saved to tape right then, these were the riffs and melodies created. It may be a stretch to say, certainly an assumption but whomever they wre when they recorded their first album was to some degree, different by Dog in the Sand and again by the time they ended with Show Me Your Tears.

The albums chart the evolution of the band, an exploration of Frank's songwriting filtered through more traditional rock structures progressing where rock and country mix and mingle. I think that journey will be altered by an alphabetical or alternative track listing but it's fine, I've got the original albums. Again, I'm more excited for other complete concerts, unreleased tracks and demos.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11684 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2012 :  18:32:44  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very well said, I agree completely Arm^3.

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

975 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2012 :  09:22:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dunno if people have seen this or not:

quote:
LIVE AT MELKWEG
Posted by The Bureaucrat on January 15, 2012

We’re currently putting the finishing touches on a rockin’ live release from Frank Black & the Catholics: Live at Melkweg / Amsterdam / March 24th, 2001, which is due out March 20th, 2012, nearly 11 years to the day after it was recorded at the legendary club in the Netherlands (Melkweg = The Milky Way).

Below is a bit from the official blurb for those of you wanting to know more (and of course, we’ll be back with more details on the release as soon as they trickle in):

Frank Black & the Catholics “Live At Melkweg” was recorded in the aftermath of the classic album, Dog in the Sand, which “plays as a true classicist rock ‘n’ roll album, without resorting to cliches or sounding reactionary.” Reminiscent of “Exile on Main Street-era Stones and early Bowie . . . all the tracks share a rootsy feel, accented by Rich Gilbert’s frequent use of a pedal steel guitar.” The Catholics represent “rock as large, expansive, and over-romanticized . . . as the western skies hanging over the rural-route honky-tonk dives whose atmosphere they so readily evoke.” -Pitchfork

In their usual high-energy fashion, Black and the band unapologetically tear through their expansive catalog, banging out with uncanny familiarity some of Black’s greatest Pixies’ tunes like “Mr. Grieves”, “Monkey Gone to Heaven” and “Where is My Mind?”

In anticipation of the definitive FB & the C’s 6-disc box set to be released later this year, we bring you Frank Black & the Catholics “Live At Melkweg / Amsterdam / March 24th, 2001”.

Find it slightly amusing they've used a Pitchfork quote, I recall them calling the sound of a later album "shit-rock".
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  04:24:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remember when they were releasing live Catholics shows thru that company--I forget the name of the company...but clearly someone was recording many if not all of their shows. I for ween would download/buy any/all of those shows so long as they get a mix/remaster treatment. Those were great sets aback then and they really smacked it outta the ho-bizznigably.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  06:07:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just posted to Facebook:

Frank Black & the Catholics box set coming right along. There will definitely be vinyl. Lots of vinyl. 13 vinyl LP's to be exact. That's 26 sides. A-Z (0-9)... -the bureaucrat
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6055 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  06:13:20  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Saw it too...damn!

And Mac E. that company was hearitagain.net I believe

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  06:17:21  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In your face, Bluray!!
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  06:54:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SECAM?
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  20:25:59  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arm Arm Arm

Whatever music they conjured on each record was saved to tape right then, these were the riffs and melodies created. It may be a stretch to say, certainly an assumption but whomever they wre when they recorded their first album was to some degree, different by Dog in the Sand and again by the time they ended with Show Me Your Tears.

Totally down with A^3.

I have always been a fan of albums over songs. For me, a huge part of the enjoyment of listening to a great album is derived from listening to the music, thinking of the artist's frame of mind at the time, looking at the album art, etc.

Essentially, albums are a time and a place and a mindset as much as they are a grouping of songs. For example, grouping a few tracks from Exile on Main Street, Beggar's Banquet, Let it Bleed, and Goats Head Soup are simply not going to have the same emotional impact as just listening to Exile on Main Street on it's own, as it was recorded, as a time and a place.

That's the beauty of electronic recordings: they create a historical record. In that regard, complete albums are relatively priceless in comparison to compilations/anthologies.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 01/27/2012 04:46:10
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7440 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  05:20:38  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
mp3 snippets of the live Catholics album on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Live-Melkweg-March-24th-2001/dp/B007CSEHHK/ref=mb_oe_o

It does sound pretty good...

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  17:49:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here it is-

Courtesy of M Lemhouse.

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

switchy
- Gigographer -

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  20:01:01  Show Profile  Visit switchy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
aw, the bootleg of this show is well over TWICE as long.. why leave off so many songs on the official release? bummer

MissMaceo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  00:18:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
really looking forward to this

more than the new Grand Duchy album, in fact, for better or worse

Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2012 :  00:38:33  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is a bummer about the length, but hey...live Catholics anything is fucking great news.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7440 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2012 :  05:58:02  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Knight

It is a bummer about the length

That's what she said. Oh wait...

So if I'm not mistaken, the songs not included on the CD are:

Fiddle Riddle
Steak 'n' Sabre
Calistan
Blast Off
I'll Be Blue
Skeleton Man
All My Ghosts