Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  12:41:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From Facebook:

Black Francis
Ladies and gentlemen, the complete Frank Black & the Catholics compilation is set to be (re)mastered next week in Los Angeles
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  15:10:23  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
jizms

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  07:26:02  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
News!!! Sweet beautiful news. Can't wait to purchase this in 2013.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  04:40:19  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dear Santa Claus,
for xmas I would like DVDs of all the Catholics albums and outtakes in unaltered transfers of 24-bit/96k. Also, a blu-ray disc containing professionally-shot performances from the "Dog in the Sand" tour as well as the Lyle Workman era. I hope I am not asking too much, as I'm sure extra cookies and milk would be involved.

yours truly,
C. Knight
Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  15:58:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Knight

Dear Santa Claus,
for xmas I would like DVDs of all the Catholics albums and outtakes in unaltered transfers of 24-bit/96k. Also, a blu-ray disc containing professionally-shot performances from the "Dog in the Sand" tour as well as the Lyle Workman era. I hope I am not asking too much, as I'm sure extra cookies and milk would be involved.

yours truly,
C. Knight

+1
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2011 :  11:59:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More updates on the Facebook page:

Black Francis Eddy Schreyer is doing the remastering (he did the initial master of most of the albums) ... and vinyl. YES! vinyl! -The Bureaucrat

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/260189_10150223977353637_152032678636_7173496_4321165_n.jpg
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2011 :  05:07:45  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
splooge ----

"Our Love is Rice and Beans and Horses Lard"
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2011 :  05:24:03  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Better start panhandling on my street corner now

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2011 :  15:51:47  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
looks like the wife and son are dedicating their birthdays and christmases for the next few years to this.

Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2011 :  11:11:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is as exciting as when local LA TV station KCOP put the classic STAR TREK reruns back on the air after a two year absence in 1984!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I want the guy who did this. I want him. I want him bad........" TJ Hooker
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2011 :  05:34:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trans, while I love that comment, I am not very excited about this release. It seems to say that these guys are done, once and for all.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2011 :  06:45:46  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by realmeanmotorscutor

Trans, while I love that comment, I am not very excited about this release. It seems to say that these guys are done, once and for all.

I guess I'd rather they be done than get back together to relive the old stuff for years like the Pixies are doing. I love that I can occasionally catch the Pixies live now - but six years ago I figured they'd have either come up with some new material by now or hung it back up. That's a long time to just be a touring jukebox.

As much as I love the Pixies, I think the Catholics smoked them hands down, and I would probably be more bummed than anything to see them get back together only to tour the old stuff without tackling any new material. Of course, you can bet your ass I'd be first in line for tickets. On the other hand, the Catholics don't appear to have the kind of songwriting/contribution/opinion issues facing them as do the Pixies, so there probably wouldn't be any hinderance to new material. Charles would probably write whatever the hell he was going to write anyway and just perform it with the Catholics.

I'll be all over this release - mainly the vinyl. I am, however, hoping Charles is ready for the next evolution relatively soon. I just can't get into Grand Duchy and on some level NonStop didn't really do it for me either. I'd love another Nashville album (preferably produced by someone else to give it a little more life and snap), or another foray into the unhinged freedom of the Finger releases.

Just my two cents

Ayerigvlagabriga-Raraaaargh!-Rumbahl-Jumbahl!
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  14:56:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, this Pixies thing has gone on way too long, but I understand cause it's good money.

I'm sure the Catholics would record something if they did a tour. Guess there's just too much fear around making a Pixies album. Shame. Life is too short to worry about things like that. It's not like any legacy can actually last anyway. Might as well have fun.

Somehow Grand Duchy grew on me, but I was sure at the start that it wouldn't.
Go to Top of Page

jimmy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
876 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2011 :  13:23:38  Show Profile  Visit jimmy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think this is pretty exciting, but I wouldn't want the whole box set (unless someone wanted to get it for me for Christmas); I just want the B-sides and rare songs and things like that. I'm not the kind of person who listens to a remastered album and notices how much better the sound is, my ears aren't too smart.

What I'd really love is some live recordings. I heard "The Black Rider" and "I've Seen Your Picture" in a club before they were released and the album versions weren't half as good.

FB, Pixies, Breeders, Belly, record sleeves at my blog, RJ Battles http://rjbattles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2011 :  14:45:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This would be an awesome boxset to have but I'm not sure I could justify spending a lot of money (something like this has got to be expensive, right?) just to satisfy the completist in me. I'm sure I will end up giving in to temptation though.

Will these boxsets be limited like The Golem ones, does anyone know?

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2011 :  19:09:44  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
illusive? Are they getting street on me?

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2011 :  04:58:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exclaim! - Frank Black and the Catholics to Collect Complete Recordings in New Box Set.

Consequence of Sound - Frank Black to release collaborative album, complete Catholics box set.
Go to Top of Page

MajorKey
- FB Fan -

41 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2011 :  12:45:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any guesses on how much this set is going to be? I was hoping it wouldn't be more than a hundred, but now I'm starting to worry. I definitely want it and would hate to have to pass on it if the price is too crazy.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  03:50:52  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've heard the box is wrapped in cuts from the Turin Shroud. I'm thinking 5 figures at least.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  20:20:42  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I won't fall for it. Everyone knows the Turin Shroud is 'shopped.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2011 :  00:45:06  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's the deluxe. The standard box has been soaked in Châteauneuf du Pape and was shot with a bullet by Frank himself.

Oh. It also contains the Robert Onion video.
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2011 :  02:36:17  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Was Minotour available from blackfrancis.net at one time? I only see a few releases right now.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2011 :  09:38:26  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anybody know what the status is on this these days? They were mastering that shit back in June. I have some high risk credit burning a hole in my credit report and just enough space on my record shelf for 8 slabs of catholic virgin vinyl...

Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2011 :  12:50:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This needs to be smacked outta the box. And what the hell ever happened to "RED LETTER DAYS"?!?!?!?!?!?
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2011 :  14:05:51  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hope their remastering wasn't simply a compression/limiting job. Loudness does not equal quality. Hopefully they gave it the Beatles treatment and just cleaned everything up. Those Catholics albums from Black Letter Days on were fairly hot as they were - lots of random clipping and a small db range. I'm sure part of that has to do with the direct to 2 track style, but the first 3 were pretty clean from that standpoint.

Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2011 :  10:50:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"The Bureau Records has more releases in the works for 2012, including a Frank Black & the Catholics 18 track live album from March 24, 2001 in Amsterdam." :)

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2011 :  12:34:56  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1965

"The Bureau Records has more releases in the works for 2012, including a Frank Black & the Catholics 18 track live album from March 24, 2001 in Amsterdam." :)

I have the key to #902

coincidentally, i uploaded an audience recording of the entire 38-song, 145 minute set over the weekend:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=381606
and also a 7-song FM broadcast:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=381607

would be good to get the entire thing released in official format.
i heard there was a 90-minute soundboard recording that existed. i assume this release is from that.

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2011 :  09:33:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RED LETTER DAYS?!?!?!?!?!?
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2011 :  16:11:42  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
red letter days is just BLD demos, right?

Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2011 :  19:44:27  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gotta tell ya, I'd rather Charles focus on the remaster of the canon Catholics albums then a bunch of demos...

Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

960 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  16:50:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
News from Facebook:

The Bureau Records
FB&THEC'S - LIVE AT MELKWEG being mastered today, slated for March 20th release. This show is FANTASTIC. Rocking my socks off here! Gonna be out on vinyl too, but don't get too excited just yet! More info to come...
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  17:46:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mmmmbillymoneygrabbin

Edited by - Mac E. Doobage on 01/09/2012 17:46:35
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  17:48:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope they include a Deev of them smackin outta the hobizznigably.
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  17:49:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But the latter half of 2012? C'mon now.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2012 :  08:53:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when it comes to release dates, "the latter half of 2012" normally means somewhere between december 2012 and march 2013.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000