Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2011 :  20:07:14  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah well MY story is better!

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2011 :  15:43:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about "Red Letter Days"

Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2011 :  20:46:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, i haven't been around here for quite a time but this is exciting. i remember the short video from (swedish?) TV where FB showed literally dozens of reels in their mobile recording studio. i guess/hope these will include some new stuff too.
and of course, the most important thing: GET SCOTT, RICH, THE TWO DAVES, LYLE, EDF ON BOARD AND EMBARK ON A WORLD TOUR !!!!!!!

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2011 :  23:27:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grotesque

Maybe they could just forget the albums and show it as a list of sessions, like jazzmen do when they make that kind of retrospective.
Ok, you've got Coltrane in 63, he did that session, then that one, then that one... it would be perfect with the catholics because they're all live just like the jazzmen.
And they need to include all SSMVGD versions!

Fuck! That's a terrific idea (except for SSMVGD which I don't ever need to hear again). But probably too late already, sadly.

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2011 :  03:56:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(I´m glad to see old forum members posting again here

Salu2
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2011 :  05:23:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha Denis, wasn't disputing it!

NSE sounds like a bad radio session though. Strange mix, and the vocals a bit off. Some really good songs, but a disappointment overall.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2011 :  08:57:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

NSE sounds like a bad radio session though.

windupbird
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2011 :  16:27:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More good news from blackfrancis.net. :

FRANK BLACK LIVE

Posted by The Bureaucrat on February 21, 2011

With the digital age in full swing we have been slowly archiving hundreds of old DAT’s (digital audio tapes) from live shows, radio interviews, recording sessions, etc. Most of which were recorded sometime between 1993 and 2003. So far we’ve come across some great stuff— shows from Paris to Tokyo, LA to London from the early days of Frank Black all the way through the Catholics period. We’ve enlisted the extra ears of some friends to help us sift through it all, locating the best of the best of these recordings and are in the process of putting together a series of live releases. More details forthcoming but you can expect to see the first disc(s) hit the web store in April.
Go to Top of Page

franktaper
- FB Fan -

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2011 :  16:02:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Holy Jesus this is what I've been waiting for, live shows from FB&TC's!

quote:
Originally posted by windupbird

FRANK BLACK LIVE

With the digital age in full swing we have been slowly archiving hundreds of old DAT’s (digital audio tapes) from live shows, radio interviews, recording sessions, etc. Most of which were recorded sometime between 1993 and 2003. So far we’ve come across some great stuff— shows from Paris to Tokyo, LA to London from the early days of Frank Black all the way through the Catholics period. We’ve enlisted the extra ears of some friends to help us sift through it all, locating the best of the best of these recordings and are in the process of putting together a series of live releases. More details forthcoming but you can expect to see the first disc(s) hit the web store in April.

Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3422 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2011 :  19:13:05  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
holy crap. thats some exciting news!
better get the credit card dusted off!

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2011 :  06:11:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heavenly news...heavenly news!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I want the guy who did this. I want him. I want him bad........" TJ Hooker
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  02:49:04  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
oh man! i need to start saving!

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  12:33:14  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
all i have is brown/gold album and SMYT. i hadn't thought of that, but it is a good idea.

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2011 :  15:12:23  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, brand new and properly recorded Catholics shows?? What's not to salivate over?

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2011 :  04:53:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont really understand the bf net message when it says
"All of these albums were recorded & mixed live, straight to tape (on occasion, two takes would be spliced together- but rarely) and no matter how familiar you are with any of these albums nothing beats hearing them straight off the tape. And so it would seem wrong not to include vinyl versions of the albums with the box set… so do expect that option."
It's quite unclear why it should sound different but I guess the point is that it should sound... good.
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  18:00:11  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Grotesque

"All of these albums were recorded & mixed live, straight to tape (on occasion, two takes would be spliced together- but rarely) and no matter how familiar you are with any of these albums nothing beats hearing them straight off the tape. And so it would seem wrong not to include vinyl versions of the albums with the box set… so do expect that option."
It's quite unclear why it should sound different but I guess the point is that it should sound... good.
[/quote

I think all The Bureaucrat was trying to say was that the unmastered original recordings sounded really good coming right off the original tape, as opposed to simply hearing the CD that was released.
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  18:03:28  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In a couple weeks The Bureaucrat and I will be listening through to tapes to find undiscovered tracks, jams, alternative versions, etc. I can't make any promises, but I will try to find some extra stuff for the boxed set.

bf
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  20:55:50  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks a bunch. We can't wait. You once promised a "box set of botched attempts at recording Sister Isabel"... We're still waiting!

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  05:38:37  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
One of the first things we talked about on fb.net years and years ago (maybe the first thread I ever started) was the option of FB and the C's bloopers. Since they recorded live there must be so much false starts and such.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

misterwoe
= Cult of Ray =

Greece
675 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  23:20:19  Show Profile  Visit misterwoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rediscovering my Catholics collection today. So good, so under-rated. I can't think of a band more under-rated.

------------------------------------------------
eyes burning
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2011 :  15:47:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, in the shadow of the Pixies...so very underrated. I have a feeling that most anyone, who appreciates rock music and saw chance to see them live would have become a fan. Or at least, respected what they did on stage.

If it was recorded, they should release the Beachland Ballroom show from 03. Great energy, Jack Kidney on the encores, amazing John the Revelator, great high energy ending with the Snake & Cactus. Fast version of 666, stopped then begun again. I have a bias for the show but I still think it would make a great release in its entirety.

Regardless, full Catholics shows from the different eras would be amazing!

Maybe they'll do a reunion tour or at least a show...
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2011 :  09:43:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by misterwoe

Rediscovering my Catholics collection today. So good, so under-rated. I can't think of a band more under-rated.

eyes burning

I can't think of a band more responsible of his own under-rating:

CHEAP COVERS
+
PUTTING OUT MANY MANY ALBUMS
+
TOTALLY OUT OF FASHION MUSIC

I think Frank knew he couldnt do something hyper that Teenager of the year and his cover photo by a famous fancy photographer, and that was a cool moove.
That's not what I thought at the moment, but yes it should be reevaluated.

Edited by - Grotesque on 03/13/2011 09:48:51
Go to Top of Page

misterwoe
= Cult of Ray =

Greece
675 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2011 :  03:22:24  Show Profile  Visit misterwoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
CHEAP COVERS
+
PUTTING OUT MANY MANY ALBUMS
+
TOTALLY OUT OF FASHION MUSIC

Doesn't get any better than this!

eyes burning
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2011 :  08:45:48  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I guess they're underrated if judged on overall commercial and critical success, like fB in general in my opinion, but I also think the right people got to hear them.

Reminds me of that analogy in Death to the Pixies liner notes. About the author looking up at the blimp in the sky whilst the rest carry on unaware. Before they have time to look up it's too late. It's gone.

We saw the blimp.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2011 :  13:53:43  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grotesque

A well mastered and pressed vinyl record reproduces the original analog tape signal more accurately than a digital file. You need a quality system of course.

I'll be in line for the vinyl.

Ayerigvlagabriga-Raraaaargh!-Rumbahl-Jumbahl!
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  13:56:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

FRANK BLACK LIVE

Not much of April left...

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2011 :  15:43:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Indeed. They gotta smack this out.
Go to Top of Page

bernerdawg
- FB Fan -

17 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  10:39:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haven't visited here in a while. Reading these posts and thinking about a Catholics box set is giving me goose bumps.

The Catholics catalogue is indeed some of the finest rock music ever created, though its relative obscurity has never made me wish otherwise. Maybe I'm a selfish, insular bastard but there's a part of me that doesn't want the whole f'ing world to know. Part of what made the Catholics so special was that obscurity: these guys hauling their own shit in and out of clubs, recording live, and playing bar rock devoid of the trendiness and stylized pretentions that, unfortunately (and ironically) a lot of 90s bands benefitted from in the wake of the real thing (Pixies).

Anyway. If there's a reunion tour I'm there.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  11:20:16  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I couldn't tell if he was joking with me or not but apparently the presentation will be alphabetical as opposed to album-by-album. The more I think about this, the more I think he was joking and I was too open-jawed to catch it. But there would be a certain poetry to using the same technique for track order for a Catholics boxset as the self-titled Catholics album.

Go to Top of Page

MajorKey
- FB Fan -

41 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  23:37:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually think it would be neat if all the songs were alphabetical. These albums have already been released with specific track orders, so why not do something different this time? The box set would be like the masters from which we can create our own compilations (which I enjoy doing anyway) and you always have the option of burning the songs in their original LP configurations if that's your preference.

Here's the list alphabetically. I count 109 songs, but that's counting both versions of "Le Cigare Volant," "I Will Run After You," "His Kingly Cave," and "Humboldt County Massacre."

Note: Since "The Man Who Was Too Loud" was alphabetized as starting with "T" rather than "M" on the first Catholics album, I did the same here with all songs starting with "The." I don't agree with it but
they may choose to do the same with this set. By that same token, "A Dab'll Do Ya" I've listed in the A's rather than D's.

21 Reasons
85 Weeks
A Dab'll Do Ya
All My Ghosts
Angst
Are You Headed My Way?
Back To Rome
Bad Harmony
Bartholomew
Belle Isle
Billy Radcliffe
Black Letter Day
Blast Off
Bullet
California Bound
Changing Of The Guards
Chip Away Boy
Coastline
Cold Heart Of Stone
Constant Sorrow Man
Do Nothing
Do You Feel Bad About It?
Dog Gone
Dog In The Sand
Don't Clip Your Wings
Down In The Hole
End Of Miles
Everything Is New
Fields Of Marigold
Goodbye Lorraine
Heloise
Hermaphroditos
His Kingly Cave (DW version)
His Kingly Cave (SSMVGD version)
Horrible Day
How You Went So Far
Humboldt County Massacre (single version)
Humboldt County Massacre (SSMVGD version)
I Gotta Move
I Love Your Brain
I Need Peace
I Switched You
I Think I'm Starting To Lose It
I Want Rock And Roll
I Will Run After You (BLD version)
I Will Run After You (SSMVGD version)
If It Takes All Night
I'll Be Blue
I'm Going Down
I've Seen Your Picture
Jaina Blues
Jane The Queen Of Love
Jet Black River
King & Queen Of Siam
Le Cigare Volant (acoustic version)
Le Cigare Volant (SSMVGD version)
Living On Soul
Llano Del Rio
Ludwigshafen
Manitoba
Massif Centrale
Modern Age
My Favorite Kiss
Nadine
New House Of The Pope
Out Of State
Pan American Highway
Pray For The Girls
Preacher's Daughter
Robert Onion
San Antonio, TX
Show Me Your Tears
Sister Isabel
Six-Sixty-Six
Skeleton Man
Sleep
Smoke Up
Snake Oil
So. Bay
So Hard To Make Things Out
Solid Gold
Somethings
Southbound Bevy
St. Francis Dam Disaster
Steak 'N' Sabre
Stupid Me
Suffering
Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day
Take What You Want
The Black Rider
The Black Rider
The Big Hurt
The Farewell Bend
The Man Who Was Too Loud
The Scene
The Snake
The Swimmer
This Old Heartache
Tiny Heart
True Blue
Valentine And Garuda
Valley Of Our Hope
Velvety
Western Star
When Will Happiness Find Me Again?
Whiskey In Your Shoes
Whispering Weeds
You're Such A Wire
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  04:16:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done compiling that list.

FB+C played a few songs live that were never released as studio versions, eg. "Coming Into Los Angeles" - for the completist, they would be nice too.

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  05:16:14  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Seconded on both counts.

Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  15:08:24  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmm. I hope it's not alphabetical. That would kill it for me. Don't think I'd be on board for this one if this turns out to be true. I'm hoping to get vinyl reissues of all these albums, plus an album or two of B-sides. If you want them alphabetical, just order your itunes list that way, I say.

Ayerigvlagabriga-Raraaaargh!-Rumbahl-Jumbahl!
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  12:39:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

FRANK BLACK LIVE

Reminds me of Neil Young & Crazy Horse' "Toast" or "Trunk Show" = big announcements, huge expectations... Nothing. Still waiting to see the light of day. Release it already - Please!!!

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

Five Star Edge
- FB Fan -

4 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  07:59:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1965

quote:

FRANK BLACK LIVE

Reminds me of Neil Young & Crazy Horse' "Toast" or "Trunk Show" = big announcements, huge expectations... Nothing. Still waiting to see the light of day. Release it already - Please!!!

I have the key to #902

Yeah, I've been waiting for some news as well. I've never got around to purchasing BLD & DW for some reason and I was just going to wait for the reissues. Wonder if this project was permanently shelved?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000