Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  10:08:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From Facebook, Jan 2011:

"We are working on catholics set now, which will include remastering albums from the old 1/4" tapes. the set will include all the b-sides and cool outtakes we can dig up and hope to release it on vinyl as well later this year."

Sounds promising...

I have the key to #902

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  10:48:32  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That actually means I'm gonna have to spend a lot of cash on stuff I already have.
And yet... CAN'T F'IN WAIT

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  10:51:22  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
BTW...
Which facebook account did you read that from?

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  11:15:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

BTW...
Which facebook account did you read that from?

Denis

It was from black francis facebook page, a quote from BF.

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  12:16:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1965

remastering albums from the old 1/4" tapes.

I cannot imagine how those albums can be made to sound any finer. But I bet BF will manage it. Cannot wait.

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  12:24:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!!! finally!! I miss the Catholics
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  12:47:04  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
my weiner... is so firm.

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

MajorKey
- FB Fan -

41 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  21:23:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exciting news, but is it just the Catholics albums? I hope his first couple albums are going to be included in this remastering/re-releasing scheme as well. And how cool would it be if an official release of SSMVGD managed to work its way in there somewhere?

The only downside are the words "later this year." It's still only January.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  21:36:31  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders

quote:
Originally posted by 1965

remastering albums from the old 1/4" tapes.

I cannot imagine how those albums can be made to sound any finer. But I bet BF will manage it. Cannot wait.

I don't think much can be done from a "live-to-2-track" recording. But some of the Caholics records could have sounded better (basically, BLD & DW).

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2011 :  08:01:48  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This would be awesome.

It would inspire me to buy the limited edition Minatour.
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2011 :  12:13:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a lot to do in the equalization. BLD have a strange equalization, a lot of mediums, but I think the mix is alright (i know edf hates it!). It's kinda what led to the excellent vintage mix of SMYT: something very warm and very american, the total opposite of his britpop records (Orange album, TOTY: very hi fi).
On the other hand, DW is to my point of view the worst catholic mix ever. Kingly Cave and Modern age are very good songs but I much prefer the other versions (on SSMVGD isnt it?)
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  14:12:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This reminds me (aw, another grotesque lame-tass coment!) that I always thought the catholics should have been FB's alternate "local" band and play even more like that kind of bar band you can find in every city of the states. When they do that bar country punk, like for example the b sides Constant Sorrow man, Flip Your Wings, Preacher'sDaughter or most song on Show me your tears, they're totally unique and true. For something a bit more epic (like the other b sides pan american highway, pray for the girls or most Black Letter Days songs) they can sound a bit small, like they dont really take off. Show me you tears is the moment where they totally found out what really worked, so they could stop playing! Horrible Day is such a great song. It's si common and so unique at the same time: you feel like in a bar in the middle of nowhere listening to a local band you actually find great.
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  19:21:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm most interested in b-sides, outtakes, unreleased songs.
Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  11:37:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
from bf facebook:

in the studio today beginning to transfer FB & the C's tapes for remastering. Starting with the first album. 95 songs to go... -the bureaucrat

Go to Top of Page

misterwoe
= Cult of Ray =

Greece
675 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  22:57:20  Show Profile  Visit misterwoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know what to say! Sometimes re-masters sound the same, sometimes noticeably different. Haven't really done a lot of comparing. Any examples?

------------------------------------------------
eyes burning
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  01:24:29  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Anyone gonna take a stab and list all 95 or so songs to see what may or may not make the cut.

"Our Love is Rice and Beans and Horses Lard"

Edited by - Thomas on 02/09/2011 01:28:43
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  05:46:11  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wait, this list is all wrong! You forgot 1826, SSMVGD and Sister Isabel and you put Atlantis in there! What kind of fan are you?

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  05:48:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He he, I love the "What kind of fan are you?".
Appart from sound changes, the most interesting could be to re evaluate the Catholics Heritage without having to judge the albums.
At least when he was with the catholics, FB used to be a bit self indulgent: it's a very good way to be prolific and create a huge repertoire, but not a very good way to make a good pop album.
I dont say that as a critic, because the self indulgent thing is part of the Catholics projects: being more like himself, rockier, simpler ("snaker"?).
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  16:35:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's understandable to not want to include 1826.
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  17:10:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darwin

Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  21:06:06  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darwin

The more you post, the more I believe in creationism

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  21:21:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And the devil, I hope.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  01:44:48  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Would a catholics revival resurrect fb.net?

"Our Love is Rice and Beans and Horses Lard"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  03:15:57  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It would certainly help... we really aren't very relevant aside from being an archive with all the Pixies stuff going on. I suppose there's Grand Duchy and solo BF stuff but now he's video blogging, has a website, etc, etc. I still would like it to be kept more up to date but since the Pixies reunion volunteers keep dropping off...

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  12:07:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jose Jones

my weiner... is so firm.

I've been quoting this a lot lately.

Edited by - realmeanmotorscutor on 02/10/2011 17:31:54
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  20:10:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a great site and I love the look---it's so easy on the eyes. Maybe the next leg of the Doolittle Tour (how many legs does it have, is it a spider, maybe a millipede?) will stimulate this site. Or perhaps whatever he does post-Pixies...?

Even if it were to only remain as an archive, it would be a great resource for future fans. There are a lot of interesting archived interviews, q & a's with Frank, guitar tabs, song analysis etc.

cheers to the site and those who run it!
Go to Top of Page

cargro
- FB Fan -

21 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  20:34:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really like the idea of catholics stuff and re-issues. This album, the last b-sides album and the pixies tours...it's all nice. But I want a NEW black francis album and a tour he did when the bluefinger album came out.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  10:14:17  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This is a great place, but the pixies reunion keeps my interest in everthing frank very very low

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  10:54:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't think much can be done from a "live-to-2-track" recording. But some of the Caholics records could have sounded better (basically, BLD & DW).

Denis

Good to get a reply from someone who's given the matter some thought. BLD & DW. I forgot how those two don't sound as good as they might have done. What chance they'll produce magical results Denis? Good? Very good? 50-50?

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2011 :  10:50:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders

quote:

Denis

Good to get a reply from someone who's given the matter some thought. BLD & DW. I forgot how those two don't sound as good as they might have done. What chance they'll produce magical results Denis? Good? Very good? 50-50?

I haven't read much of the criticism of their sound (vaguely remember EDF saying something). I don't think either sound as poor as NSE.

Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2011 :  13:23:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy
I haven't read much of the criticism of their sound (vaguely remember EDF saying something). I don't think either sound as poor as NSE.

I'll agree with that. Do we all just hear things differently?
Go to Top of Page

franktaper
- FB Fan -

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2011 :  15:14:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like to think that we're holding a spot for when Chuck gets another creative itch as Frank Black or Black Francis. We all know the Pixies are just about making money now. He did the "artsy fartsy" stuff for the Pixies phase of his career in the 80's/90's.
Go to Top of Page

Nate in the PDX
- FB Fan -

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2011 :  06:13:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd be more excited about the Pixies reunion at this point if they were (a) producing new music or (b) breaking new ground with their live show. But I don't think either is happening, as far as I know.

I love the Pixies' music, I always will, but I direct all my excitement and hope to BFB's non-Pixies work. Precisely because he HAS been working all these years, producing a steady stream of diverse, interesting projects, and continues to do so.

Even revisiting the Catholics' catalog is interesting to some extent, though I agree with others that it's hard to imagine what could be accomplished by remastering some of those records. Come what may, I'm on board with Charles, is all I'm saying.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2011 :  06:49:57  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I kind of remember FB himself saying something about it, maybe on here? That they started with the lo-fi sound of the self-titled album, then reached perfect sound quality with DITS, then built the mobile studio and worked on it until they got a great sound again on SMYT. Maybe I just dreamed all this.
Anyway, yeah - NSE does sound pretty bad (not all of it though) (and I still like the album quite a lot).

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2011 :  11:12:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe they could just forget the albums and show it as a list of sessions, like jazzmen do when they make that kind of retrospective.
Ok, you've got Coltrane in 63, he did that session, then that one, then that one... it would be perfect with the catholics because they're all live just like the jazzmen.
And they need to include all SSMVGD versions!
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2011 :  12:59:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I kind of remember FB himself saying something about it, maybe on here? That they started with the lo-fi sound of the self-titled album, then reached perfect sound quality with DITS, then built the mobile studio and worked on it until they got a great sound again on SMYT. Maybe I just dreamed all this.
Anyway, yeah - NSE does sound pretty bad (not all of it though) (and I still like the album quite a lot).

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux

I'm sure I read him say 'Devil's Workshop' is a favourite, since it has a hard sound that comes from recording in a rehearsal space with a concrete floor!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000