General Frank Black Chat
 Frank Black Greatest Hits Tour
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  15:05:55  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Off the back of the successful Pixies reunion tour, Black Francis needs to mine his back catalogue and put together a greatest hits package. Two hours of FB/BF/Catholics/Pixies/Grand Duchy favoutites with a solid backing band definately including Joey Santiago and maybe Eric Drew Feldman, Violet Clark and a few other notable players from his past would be huge. The market is ready for it, and criminally underlooked songs could finally get the justice they deserve.

Oh, and a Black Francis w/-Joey Santiago album needs to be made NOW!

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  17:39:16  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This was sort of the 2006 tour, which was after the 93-03 album release. But i still like the idea.

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  18:11:50  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We never got this tour out here in Australia.
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  10:41:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just bring back the Catholics.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His name is Dalton. He's got a degree in philosophy.
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  12:30:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh man, I'd love to see that!

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunny
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
395 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  12:57:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's funny to me that the Catholics are treated just like the Pixies were after their separation, ie. they pretty much don't exist, in that Charles doesn't seem to ever mention them any more. (Perhaps something to do with the Catholics ending "in fisticuffs" as I seem to recall he said?)

In fairness, the media he talks to aren't really interested in the Catholics, which, of course, he knows -- it's a shame, as the Catholics were a *fucking fantastic* and criminally underrated live band, certainly more exciting and visceral than the reformed Pixies in my experience (the Pixies still being excellent entertainment for whom I would turn up every time). I take it on faith and bootlegs, though, that the "original" Pixies would've kicked the Catholics' asses had I seen them at the time.

My point being, um...
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  13:01:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never heard about the fisticuffs thing...he was probably just joking.

Having seen the Catholics many times, the memories are somehow more mystical then seeing the PIXIES...maybe because they were so...I dont know...mystical? I thought spirits were gonna rise from the stage when Frank danced around in a circle during the opening guitar snarl of I SWITCHED YOU back in '98.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His name is Dalton. He's got a degree in philosophy.
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunny
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
395 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  14:31:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sadly, I can't remember where I read (or heard?) that comment, and the internet isn't helping. He definitely made at least a half-joke about the Catholics ending in "fisticuffs", in a way that seemed like, well, there were actual fisticuffs involved. It might even have been a podcast!

quote:

I thought spirits were gonna rise from the stage when Frank danced around in a circle during the opening guitar snarl of I SWITCHED YOU back in '98.

That's always how I felt, in a way that the Pixies never gave me, though I only saw them for the first time at the reunion gigs, in 2004.

My first live Frank experience was in 1996 -- only 3 days after The Cult of Ray came out here, about 15 years after I'd discovered the Pixies -- and it was Frank Black and the Catholics (who were pretty much unknown as anything other than a bunch of "hired musos" at the time), which was only mentioned as their 'official' name a few days beforehand, on a BBC radio session -- "Ray" was the first Catholics album, really. The band 'felt' the same as later gigs, being relaxed *and* ass-kicking, just with Lyle rather than Rich Gilbert.

I was rather underwhelmed by The Cult of Ray (which I bought on the day of release, 3 days before the gig), until I saw the band playing the songs live. I hated Lyle Workman's "widdly-widdly" technical guitar playing with a passion until I saw him in action for myself, and (semi-) hated the Catholics until I saw them, just for not being the Pixies! Impostors! It turned out that they all kicked ass, and the album fell into place after seeing them.

I used to always find the Catholics' output underwhelming until having heard it a good few times. Although the albums would reveal their brilliance in their own time, I think the live experience really helped to move things along sometimes; after that, I'd wonder why I (and more particularly, the world in general) didn't get it.

Charles *fucking kicks ass* live, and the experience definitely helps in 'getting' some of his more challenging -- which sometimes means less extreme! -- stuff, any of which would grab me in time, but which would probably take similar direct action to win over non-fans who would otherwise reject the albums.

Again, I say:

"Um, I don't know what my point is... "
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  21:22:14  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There's no need to have a point. Sharing Catholics memories is good enough.

I also saw FB for the first time in 96 (May 24th, Paris) but at that time I wasn't a big Pixies fan (I think I only knew Surfer Rosa) and that gig absolutely blew my mind. They didn't stop once between songs. I was a Lyle fan since the first note of The Marsist.

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  00:12:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Catholics are FB's Crazy Horse. They will rise again. Or maybe not...

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  01:06:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think he mentioned said fisticuffs during the recording of 'SSMVGD' as well. We'll never know!

I love the Catholics albums, even though the recording setup leaves some songs sounding a little too undercooked at times. It would have been nice to hear some of those songs sounding a little more produced (doubled up vocals, for example).
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  01:08:16  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DruggedBunny

quote:

Sadly, I can't remember where I read (or heard?) that comment, and the internet isn't helping. He definitely made at least a half-joke about the Catholics ending in "fisticuffs", in a way that seemed like, well, there were actual fisticuffs involved. It might even have been a podcast!

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13534 (check out Ten Percenter's post)
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13876 (check out Vilainde's post)

quote:
Frank in Uncut sometime in 05 on why he cut "SSMVGD" for HC:

"Just fell in love with the song when I first heard it. Obsessed on it, drove my band the Catholics insane playing it over and over and over, recording it for like four different records but never getting it right. I just really love the song and the lyrics. 'You’ll be king of what you survive.' "

Edited by - fbc on 04/08/2010 01:12:55
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunny
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
395 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  09:13:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, well done. I wasn't hallucinating after all!
Go to Top of Page

trapperj
- FB Fan -

24 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  04:10:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will follow this thread off topic- I was poking around looking for the original SSMVGD by Doug Sahm and I found this version by Frank from a French radio interview-Never heard it before, maybe you have. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsW73it5vvM
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  04:23:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trapperj

I will follow this thread off topic- I was poking around looking for the original SSMVGD by Doug Sahm and I found this version by Frank from a French radio interview-Never heard it before, maybe you have. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsW73it5vvM

Thanks for that. I remember that was the first song I ever succesfully downloaded off the internet as an mp3 and burnt to a CDR, many years ago. I only had an edited version = it was interesting hearing the pre-performance banter, including the comment that it was recorded for Frank Black & The Catholics but scrapped, which I did not know!

I have the key to #902

Edited by - 1965 on 04/25/2010 15:22:18
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000