New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gotmeamovie
- FB Fan -

158 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  23:19:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This fuckin rocks

Why isnt there more of a higher ranking of the ep among fans?

this is strong enough material to have been a pixies record. I think the band could have really done something special with this stuff.

You just hear parts for joey to lead and kim to oooh in.

Its as close as he has come to the pixes since he went back to black francis

I think if they had of combined these songs with the best of bluefinger , they would have produced the classic new pixies album we all would have hoped for

"I could take a walk and really wonder, really wonder"

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2010 :  04:52:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Svn Fngrs is one of my favourites, though not because it could have been a Pixies record. With stuff this good who needs the Pixies anyways?

------------------------
Golem Survivor Round 4 http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20079

Edited by - Brank_Flack on 04/17/2010 08:30:16
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2010 :  06:22:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's how I feel, Brank. I'm not convinced the Pixies could have pulled it off anyway.

And I believe SVN FNGRS is ranked quite high among fans. Am I wrong?
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2010 :  06:55:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a mess. A fun mess, nevertheless a mess. My 2nd to least favorite Frank record.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His name is Dalton. He's got a degree in philosophy.
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2010 :  07:00:03  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
never really warmed up to The Seus's verses. Lonesome Fetter could use some oomph. otherwise it's great. excellent addition to the FB discography.

i got Garbage Heap played on 88.9 here in milwaukee a few weeks back.

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2010 :  07:33:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's very strong. Chunky raisins man...

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2010 :  10:27:03  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well I don't know about the other idiots on here but I love that (mini) album. Could've done without The Seus but the rest is perfect.

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
Go to Top of Page

windupbird
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2010 :  17:32:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love this record. I don't understand, where is the love for The Seus? I prefer the Charles Normal mix myself, but nonetheless - really like that track. The first time I heard it, I was taken aback. Then I got to really liking it. But mostly, it's that 'breaking new ground/ doing something different" thing that always amazes me, from one record to the next. Same thing happened when I recently listened to NSE for the first time.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2010 :  20:48:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's interesting here that the Seus is the least favourite Fngrs song around here, but its his number one song on last.fm, and was every week until NSE came out. Personally, I like the Seus, its something you have to make sure not to take too seriously.

------------------------
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2010 :  22:55:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a really good record. And the Normal mix of 'the Seus' takes it up another level.

Would be nice to hear some lead guitar at times, but I still listen to the album a lot.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  08:56:41  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not a big Seuser, but I'm with Ziggy - the Charles Normal mix is far superior to the album cut, and I can actually get into it. It puts more emphasis on the beat and riff, and whatever he does to Black's lines, it makes them easier to digest. Ah, the wonders of Pro Tools.

Ayerigvlagabriga-Raraaaargh!-Rumbahl-Jumbahl!
Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  22:48:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent EP IMO. I definetley think a couple of these songs are prime Pixie material and possibly written with them in mind. Garbage Heap sounds like a Bossanova outtake and i rank Half man as one of FBF's best tunes. It only has two chords i think but it is an epic tune. The driving rythm and lyrics make it a favourite of mine. Fetter is amazing, the outro on this makes me think of the outro on No.13 baby. Excellent record and i go back to it far more than bluefinger.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1107 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  01:05:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gotmeamovie

Why isnt there more of a higher ranking of the ep among fans?

hey, we can do something about that.
tell us how much more and how much higher you desire, and we will send you a paypal invoice you cannot refuse.

yours sincerely,
frank black ranking services ltd.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  01:33:35  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam

Excellent EP IMO. I definetley think a couple of these songs are prime Pixie material and possibly written with them in mind.

I don't know the official story, but I always assumed these were supposed to be Pixies songs, maybe with the exception of The Seus. Or at the very least, written during a songwriting flurry meant to produce material for that band. I know he said material was written that either he or the band or both vetoed and labeled as "fakey." I don't know if SVN is some of that or not.

Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  09:06:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neither Bluefinger or Svn Fngrs were written for the Pixies or with the Pixies in mind. All the songs were written during the studio sessions for the respected albums.

------------------------
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  12:46:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When They Come To Murder Me is one of my favourite FB/BF songs of recent years.

I think it works well as a mini album. I'd hate for there to be extra tracks just there for the sake of making it a 'full' album at the expense of quality writing. It packs a punch as it is. As for the Pixies, I wouln't care if they never made a new record, I guess I'll just support whichever musicians accompany him. His output since the Pixies is immense anyway, it's not as if he needs the Pixies to make quality music, despite what some jouro's write in their reviews of EVERY new FB record.

All in all, it's a great addition to the Charles Thompson catalogue.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  17:58:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pixiestu

When They Come To Murder Me is one of my favourite FB/BF songs of recent years.

I think it works well as a mini album. I'd hate for there to be extra tracks just there for the sake of making it a 'full' album at the expense of quality writing.

"The arc of triumph"

From what I understand Serious Curious was the last song recorded, and he realized he was out of steam or creative juice for the session so he decided to release it as a mini album rather than including filler. I think he made the right choice. One alternative though would've been to wait a while and do another session once the juices are back like NSE. Still, it works great as a mini album, just like Come on Pilgrim does.

------------------------
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  18:52:20  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

Neither Bluefinger or Svn Fngrs were written for the Pixies or with the Pixies in mind. All the songs were written during the studio sessions for the respected albums.

------------------------

That also makes sense, I missed out on Svn Fngrs release excitement and storyline because I was floating on a ship in the middle of the Persian Gulf when it came out.

Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  06:18:56  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

------------------------

That also makes sense, I missed out on Svn Fngrs release excitement and storyline because I was floating on a ship in the middle of the Persian Gulf when it came out.

I don't think they were written for the pixies but i do believe that if kim wanted to do a pixies album the first 2 black francis albums songs for the most part would have been the ones chosen.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000