Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 LA Times says the catholics ended badly?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

chrisislies
- FB Fan -

12 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  18:48:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this article talks about honeycomb among others things, but the thing that really caught my eye was this quote

"His latest group, the Catholics, had ended badly, and so had his marriage. He'd moved from Los Angeles to Oregon, where he didn't know a soul, and while there was a new girlfriend, the excitement of the relationship was balanced by the chaos of its growing pains."

huh? did i miss something?

orignal story
http://www.calendarlive.com/music/cl-et-black23jul23,0,1885313.story

Edited by - chrisislies on 07/26/2005 18:49:43

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  18:56:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i don't tend to trust journalists. i'll believe that when i hear it from one of them
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  18:57:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chrisislies, I am confused too. That was a paraphrase. From what I have read from FB's prior interviews he never said anything about the Catholics ending badly-- so I would take this paraphrase with a grain of salt unless we hear from a more official source.
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2788 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  20:54:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"His latest group, the Catholics, had ended badly, and so had his marriage. He'd moved from Los Angeles to Oregon, where he didn't know a soul, and while there was a new girlfriend, the excitement of the relationship was balanced by the chaos of its growing pains."

and then the "writer" from the la times jumped off a i5 overpass and into on coming trafic because they saw this life as one big downer.
i feel sorry for this schmuck.

"You're constantly in a state of becoming"

Edited by - danjersey on 07/26/2005 20:56:39
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  20:59:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daisy Girl

Chrisislies, I am confused too. That was a paraphrase. From what I have read from FB's prior interviews he never said anything about the Catholics ending badly-- so I would take this paraphrase with a grain of salt unless we hear from a more official source.

are you paraphrasing me?
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2788 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  21:11:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dude i can't even spell let alone paraphrase

"You're constantly in a state of becoming"

Edit: see that? you're not even talking to me, i just noticed it was daisy girl and cause i'm in some hurry i thought it was me you were addressing.
aww shit.

Edited by - danjersey on 07/26/2005 21:15:39
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  21:12:32  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, you know how the press blew the whole thing up about how Frank and Kim hated each other when the Pixies ended... they could be doing the same thing again, which wouldn't surprise me.

This is a high class bureau de change, not some Punch & Judy show on the seafront at Margate!
Go to Top of Page

dayanara
* Dog in the Sand *

Australia
1811 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  22:47:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by floop

i don't tend to trust journalists. i'll believe that when i hear it from one of them

i can't remember where and i'm too lazy to look, but in one of the recent interviews frank mentioned that there was actual physical fighting within the band. i'd say that counts as ending badly.

i am sitting here observing my emotional discomfort.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  22:55:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
did it have something to do with ping pong?
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  00:30:29  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yeah, I read a bunch of interviews where Frank mentioned the last Catholics tour going really bad. There was something about the Catholics being bored of recording to 2-track, could someone find the article?

Denis

I know the god of rock n roll / Yeah I sold him my soul!
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  00:33:21  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK I got it, it's from the Uncut interview:

<<How come you decided to make the record on the eve of the reunion tour?

Well, ‘cause I called Tiven and said the Pixies tour wasn’t happening: “We’re all fightin’ and everything.” And then I had just finished the Catholics, and even if we didn’t say it was the last tour it sure felt like the fuckin’ last tour. We’d been playing together a long time, ten years of hard touring and loading our own gear and not making a lotta money out of it, and we’re hittin’ the mid-life crisis. And they’re all getting mad at me ‘cause I’m forcing them to record live to two-track for the umpteenth time. So it was like, “Alright, Tiven, I don’t know what I’m doing this year, I just got divorced, the Pixies tour ain’t happening, I’m ready to do Black on Blonde.”>>

Denis

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  03:59:44  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Pixies tour wasn’t happening

*cough*

and you're questioning the sciences
and questioning religion
you're looking like an idiot
and you no longer care.

Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  04:04:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, it almost fell on its arse just before it began

Oh let it linger
Go to Top of Page

kingphilbert
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  13:31:52  Show Profile  Visit kingphilbert's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is that UNCUT statement that vilainde posted a few up true?

"I mix twinkie's and ding-dong's all the time. In Europe, they call it a Dinkie!"
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  13:46:11  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
no! it's a conspiracy!

Denis

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  14:26:16  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I believe it's true
to add more to the hypothese:
I thought the 2003 Catholic tour was definately not what it was in 2001
(the last years he toured europe, no shows in 2002 here I believe)
2001 long shows, 2-3 hours, more talking, more spontanious, fucking blew my mind
2003 were the shows frank didn't say anything, ramonesque playing song after song,
kind of a let down (only compared to the 2001 shows)

Don't get me wrong
seeing Frank with the catholics 20 cm away from you is mind blowing
whish it would happen again

---------------------------
God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

mosleyk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  16:35:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The whole bit about Frank not knowing a soul in Oregon is wrong too. He has some family that lives here....unless they have moved.
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  16:47:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

I believe it's true
to add more to the hypothese:
I thought the 2003 Catholic tour was definately not what it was in 2001
(the last years he toured europe, no shows in 2002 here I believe)
2001 long shows, 2-3 hours, more talking, more spontanious, fucking blew my mind
2003 were the shows frank didn't say anything, ramonesque playing song after song,
kind of a let down (only compared to the 2001 shows)

Don't get me wrong
seeing Frank with the catholics 20 cm away from you is mind blowing
whish it would happen again

God save the Noisies

I saw them at the Galaxy Theater in Orange County, Calif. in 2002. May, I believe. Incredible show, lasted well over 2 hrs with a ton of Devil's Workshop and BLD material.

I was alone...in my BIG BED

-bRIAN

Sorry, billgoodman. Didn't notice you meant Europe. But they were still incredible in 2002 and 2003 here in the states.

Edited by - TRANSMARINE on 07/27/2005 16:49:31
Go to Top of Page

mosleyk
= Cult of Ray =

USA
607 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  16:54:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot to mention....

I saw them too in 2003 in the States. Great show! I have been trying forever to get a copy of it. Frank joked and talked (although he is never a huge talker on stage) and played 2-3 encore songs. He seemed in very good spirits.
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  18:42:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mosleyk

Forgot to mention....

I saw them too in 2003 in the States. Great show! I have been trying forever to get a copy of it. Frank joked and talked (although he is never a huge talker on stage) and played 2-3 encore songs. He seemed in very good spirits.

which show are you looking for?

Sometimes, no matter how shitty things get, you have to just do a little dance. - Frank
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  21:28:37  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You never know, Frank might be just taking the piss... Ive heard a few interviews when he's been joking about the messy break up with the Pixies, talking about physically fighting but doing it tongue in cheek. Tongue in cheek doesn't come across in magazine articles and is extremely easy to misinterpret.

This is a high class bureau de change, not some Punch & Judy show on the seafront at Margate!
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  21:30:43  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do you think that maybe Frank had an agreement to a certain number of albums with the Catholics before they were allowed to disband... or is that just record company shit?

Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  00:04:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know anything, but it seems to me that the Catholics might have just ended (for now, at least) naturally.

If you look at the gigography on this site, you'll see that band spent a lot of time touring together. It's staggering how much touring they did. They were always out there. For years, the breaks in touring were few and not very long. Even among very mature people, there's lots of room there for friction among band members.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  03:32:24  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
and I still say they ended with their best cut (SMYT)

God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  04:06:36  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stuart

Do you think that maybe Frank had an agreement to a certain number of albums with the Catholics before they were allowed to disband...

not sure, but i do know we have more Catholic records than FB solo.
this isn't right and needs amending

quote:

"His latest group, the Catholics, had ended badly,...

Aslong as they ended i'm happy.

Pixies' split wasn't too amicable, yet they still found a way back
There's always hope for the Catholics.

Just not yet.

Go to Top of Page

jediroller
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1718 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  04:21:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hell of a way to end a partnership.

I jumped on the Frank Black Bandwagon/'Cause Pixies are so 2004
Go to Top of Page

kelladwella
= Cult of Ray =

Germany
729 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  06:18:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Damn it, Hartigan. I warned you."
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  11:43:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fbc

Just not yet.

Hallefuckinglujah! You have seen the light and you're speaking the truth, fbc. Praise the lord!

Sometimes, no matter how shitty things get, you have to just do a little dance. - Frank
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  18:14:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Do you think that maybe Frank had an agreement to a certain number of albums with the Catholics before they were allowed to disband... or is that just record company shit?

that's just record company shit. the way Frank works his deals, being an independent, he can do whatever he wants
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  21:23:47  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Going slightly off at a tangent... does anyone know how many Neil Young solo albums there are compared to his work with Crazy Horse. I reckon there might be a chance that the Catholics become a bit like Crazy Horse, where Frank gets them together from time to time to make a new album.

Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  22:49:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Young is recording his next album in Nashville, with Spooner Oldham involved, BTW!

Yeah, The Catholics are kind of like Crazy Horse, that's a good comparison Stu!
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  10:34:09  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dayanara

quote:
Originally posted by floop

i can't remember where and i'm too lazy to look, but in one of the recent interviews frank mentioned that there was actual physical fighting within the band. i'd say that counts as ending badly.

Yeah, was an article that 10%er posted where Frank was quoted saying (am paraphrasing) "fist fights on the tour bus, trashed hotel rooms, personal lives spilling over" but I can't find it now either.

http://prettycrabby.com

Edited by - ramona on 07/29/2005 10:35:47
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  10:46:54  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kathryn

quote:
Originally posted by fbc

Just not yet.

Hallefuckinglujah! You have seen the light and you're speaking the truth, fbc. Praise the lord!

but was nothing to do with the lord (who?)

Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  10:50:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Billy Radcliffe saw what the devil man saw a spot of blue in the black of the eye of the lord now billy radcliffe saw what the devil had and I feel very bad for william radcliffe

Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  10:59:04  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
oh, him.

thats a catholics song, right?

Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  11:03:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could be time for a spanking!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000