Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  08:05:31  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DruggedBunny

Egads, did nobody see my post above? I provided evidence for live performances of quite a few of the songs listed here, but I get the impression nobody noticed at all...

announcement.mp3 22-Feb-2010 20:55 7.7M
blackletterday.mp3 22-Feb-2010 21:44 1.5M
blastoff.mp3 22-Feb-2010 20:58 3.2M
chipawayboy.mp3 22-Feb-2010 20:45 2.9M
everythingisnew.mp3 22-Feb-2010 20:44 3.6M
fazereyes.mp3 22-Feb-2010 21:41 5.6M
getawayoil.mp3 22-Feb-2010 21:50 5.1M
myfavoritekiss.mp3 22-Feb-2010 20:42 1.8M
outofstate.mp3 22-Feb-2010 21:29 3.9M
valentineandgaruda.mp3 22-Feb-2010 21:44 5.0M

(It would also appear I have the Fez gig. I'd have to convert to mp3 though.)

I'd be eternally grateful for the Fez gig if you could post it...

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  08:35:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found one of the Zulu CDs. I'll keep looking for the other.
Go to Top of Page

langdonboom
= Cult of Ray =

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  08:48:14  Show Profile  Click to see langdonboom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That Fez gig would be amazing! What did you record it on?

Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunny
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
395 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  11:55:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
> although some of the songs are cut

Hmm, none of them should be cut as far as I'm aware -- let me know which one/s and I'll check/re-upload.

I probably got the Fez gig from Dime-a-Dozen. Unfortunately I'm only on mobile 'broadband' at present so can't do the full torrent, but I'll encode it as mp3 and post it somewhere shortly.

(However, as luck would have it, Valentine & Garuda is cut off near the end!)
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  15:33:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I consider myself pretty damn lucky to have been at that Fez show, hoping to hear it again.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  05:14:48  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
FYI... Of about 320 FB solo songs (excluding those from NSE and Grand Duchy), I counted 221 that were played live at least once, 205 with a band and 150 acoustically.
Yeah, that's useless.

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  07:01:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would you please convert that data to a time line?
Go to Top of Page

tisasawath
= Cult of Ray =

Wallis and Futuna Islands
783 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  07:56:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  08:48:37  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

That's great, keep them coming! What about Announcement, Black Letter Day, Chip Away Boy, Everything Is New, My Favorite Kiss? These must have been played but I can't find any trace of them.

Denis

Chip Away Boy, Everything Is New, My Favorite Kiss - i'm pretty sure he played these live when i saw him.
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  09:29:29  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ps. what is get way oil? i don't remember that title.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  10:56:40  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joe FITZ of molly BANG

The b-side to Threshold Apprehension

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  11:06:05  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

quote:

- Brian

whoa cool! i didn't see it on amazon. was it straight to i-tunes? (i don't have i-tunes here at work)it's probably answered in another thread. i'm slowly but surely reading through them.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  15:23:05  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

- Brian

whoa cool! i didn't see it on amazon. was it straight to i-tunes? (i don't have i-tunes here at work)it's probably answered in another thread. i'm slowly but surely reading through them.

Vinyl/blackfrancis.net: http://blackfrancis.net/exclusive/

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunny
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
395 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  12:53:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the Fez gig... I've uploaded it as separate mp3s as the sound isn't great, so you can take the songs you want and skip the rest...

http://www.hi-toro.com/music/misc/fez/

See the 'original notes' file for tracklist and, well, notes.
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  14:44:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dude, you have made my day! and sound? I'd be happy with one end of a soup can and string. the crazy 4th track where Frank asked Reid to sing one song while Frank sang another (johnny rev) brought back memories. So many songs we may never hear played again.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

ruzom
= Cult of Ray =

France
267 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  15:20:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for the Fez gig, DruggedBunny!!
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  15:42:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I grabbed it too. A gem of a setlist. Thank ya druggedbunny.

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  17:00:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here's the Fez gig... I've uploaded it as separate mp3s as the sound isn't great, so you can take the songs you want and skip the rest...

http://www.hi-toro.com/music/misc/fez/

See the 'original notes' file for tracklist and, well, notes.

I think these songs sound the best (of course I grabbed the whole set) mainly because they sound like Frank enjoyed playing them the most and are the freshest fruit in the bunch.

02 nadine
06 Cold Heart of Stone
08 bullet
10 california bound
11 new house of the pope
12 don’t clip your wings
13 western star
15 humbolt county massacre
16 when will happiness find me
17 bartholomew
18 chip away boy
19 I’ll be blue
20 massif cenrtrale "this is one of our new weird ones"
22 jane the queen of love
24 manitoba
25 valentine and garuda
27 brackish boy
28 the snake
29 are you heading my way
31 the swimmer
32 my favorite kiss (fittingly the tape cuts off after a minute twenty)

Thanks again for archiving this amazing performance and sharing it with us.

Edited by - danjersey on 02/26/2010 21:08:54
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunny
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
395 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  22:28:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks again for archiving this amazing performance and sharing it with us.

Just for the record, I didn't record it -- it probably came from Dime-a-Dozen.
Go to Top of Page

windupbird
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  08:44:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Get Away Oil" was also played live in Hollywood at Safari Sam's on 10/16/07.

Go to Top of Page

langdonboom
= Cult of Ray =

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  11:36:35  Show Profile  Click to see langdonboom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
at the risk of hijacking this thread:

quote:
It was possibly the best gig i've ever seen. Except for some overzealous hand-on-leg-drumming/singing along way too loudly from some guy right under Frank.

- Brian

It seems I am destined to never live this night of drunken super-revelry down! I understand though, and I apologize again to those who's night I might have adversely impacted with my obnoxious oenophilic overzealous obliviousness. It truly was one of the best shows of my life - and I had a lot too much to drink!

Having said that -- I just listened to the version from this set of All My Ghosts, and I have to say that the chorus of people around me doing the backing vocals is kinda cool....

No? Well, clearly I am biased towards the sing-along.

In any case, I apologize again these seven years later to Brian and anyone else who was there. So far I can't hear any 'leg drumming' on the tape, thank goodness.

Hopefully we'll have a chance in NYC sometime again soon for me to be on my best concert-going behavior even in the face of a quiet show from my all-time rock-godhead.

PS great thread and thanks for the Fez link!

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  18:41:40  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by langdonboom

at the risk of hijacking this thread:

quote:
It was possibly the best gig i've ever seen. Except for some overzealous hand-on-leg-drumming/singing along way too loudly from some guy right under Frank.

- Brian

It seems I am destined to never live this night of drunken super-revelry down! I understand though, and I apologize again to those who's night I might have adversely impacted with my obnoxious oenophilic overzealous obliviousness. It truly was one of the best shows of my life - and I had a lot too much to drink!

Having said that -- I just listened to the version from this set of All My Ghosts, and I have to say that the chorus of people around me doing the backing vocals is kinda cool....

No? Well, clearly I am biased towards the sing-along.

In any case, I apologize again these seven years later to Brian and anyone else who was there. So far I can't hear any 'leg drumming' on the tape, thank goodness.

Hopefully we'll have a chance in NYC sometime again soon for me to be on my best concert-going behavior even in the face of a quiet show from my all-time rock-godhead.

PS great thread and thanks for the Fez link!

Haha, no worries. I had a few drinks in me that night, which probably accounts for my fuzzy memories and irritability.

PS - one of the great regrets of my gig-going life was not sticking around Fez that night. Apparently FB and co did karoake after hours there. That would've been cool.

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

langdonboom
= Cult of Ray =

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  04:20:42  Show Profile  Click to see langdonboom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
At the risk of engendering more resentment towards me, I actually got to be a part of that little after-hang upstairs since my friend I was with at the time and I were friendly with Reid Paley. It basically amounted to having Charles buy everybody in the group a beer and sitting around in a big mass chatting trying not to bother the man and/or look too super-fany (especially after the behavior I displayed at the show, which actually I still wasn't too aware of at this point!) As a result I didn't even try to talk to him. He was really friendly and chatty with everybody though - his brother, too. And Reid is a hilariously gregarious guy too so it was a fun night, and didn't last too long if I (can) recall...

I do recall at some point running into the man in the bathroom (where I can only assume I spent a lot of time that night) but he was dialing his cel phone so as he put the phone to his ear I just offered a general "great show, thanks" and he sorta smile-nodded in a kind of 'thanks' face and then I went to pee and left him basically alone. And then I went out to the karaoke they had going on across the bar from where we sat and did a rocking rendition of "Cult of Personality", in my alcohol-soaked mind, a great idea at the time.

But I can take joy in the fact that Frank Black/Black Francis bought me a beer once, albeit sorta indirectly. Even after I might have annoyed him at his show! That is class.

Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  21:23:56  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

> although some of the songs are cut

Hmm, none of them should be cut as far as I'm aware -- let me know which one/s and I'll check/re-upload.

Hey. Thanks a bunch for the Fez gig.
Blast Off and Fazer Eyes were cut from the files you posted. The other ones are fine (and great).

Denis

Go to Top of Page

Sam
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
511 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  00:44:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denis - when you are in the Fez directory, go up one level and you will see blast off / fazer eyes etc. These are the ones i am really looking forward to hearing. What a show that was. Seriously career spanning.
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunny
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
395 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  08:58:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's Blast Off, fixed:

http://www.hi-toro.com/music/misc/blastoff.mp3

@Sam: Denis meant that the files are incomplete (so anyone interested, please re-download the above).

However, I checked Fazer Eyes and the original flac file is the same -- it's because it sort of flows into Bad, Wicked World, but there's literally just one snare beat cut off.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  01:39:35  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice, thanks James.

Denis

Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  11:38:01  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I Think I'm Starting To Lose It (July 15, 1999 - Higher Ground, Winooski, Vermont)
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  20:40:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you know what would be really really cool. if frank did a stretch of shows in a certain city and played his entire catalogue!!! ya. that would be phenomenal. i'm not sure how many days he would need..say 2 hour sets. 15 days?? i'm not a musician but i would think that would be extremely difficult to do...i'm sure pulling a feat like that could get him into the guinness book of world records...

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"...long live snitz!!
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  04:43:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

The boot exists though, it's on the trade list benji posted.
There's also a gig listed from the same month in Cambridge, MA, which has Everything is New, Velvety, Some Things and Solid Gold - SOLO! I'd love to hear that.

Denis

I'll upload mp3s of this gig.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  05:40:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having some trouble uploading at the moment. Managed to upload Solid Gold though.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LFERXI0Y

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  07:43:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thats awesome! he pulls this kinda of performance off so casually, you get to thinking he might flub the next line but rarely he do. Many times, like in this case the song takes on a whole new intensity.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000