Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  07:41:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the album that I feel marked an end for the CoR/FB&TC/Pistolero stump, and announced a strong new rootsier side of Frank Black that would be reflective of much of his work in the decade. This isnt just a batch of some of his most consistent songs, but of some of his most consistently brilliant songs in my opinion. Also, the playing and production is wonderful. The Catholics found a sound or style that better suits them than the bar-punk of the last few albums, and the additions of steel pedal, banjo, and other instruments really flesh out the arrangements. This one usually fights with TOTY as my favorite frank black album.
Discuss, review (if you want you can do track by tracks reviews like i did), if you have any rare demos, or cool videos or posters please share
Album rating: 10/10

Blast Off - 9.5/10
I've Seen Your Picture - 10/10
St. Francis Dam Siaster - 10/10
Robert Onion - 9.5/10
Stupid Me - 9/10
Bullet - 10/10
The Swimmer - 7.5/10
Hermaphroditos - 9/10
I'll Be Blue - 8.5/10
Llano Del Rio - 8.5/10
If It Takes All Night - 9.5/10
Dog in the Sand - 10/10

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  12:46:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stump?!?!?!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His name is Dalton. He's got a degree in philosophy.
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  23:17:47  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the first FB-record I bought on the day it was released.
I was surprised to say the least: pedal steal? Wow....

But after a few spins it totally got me and I was in a serious quest for more good
alt. country for months. You know Steve Earle, Uncle Tupelo amongst other things.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  05:38:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still have a hard time believing it was recorded live.

Dog In The Sand Demos
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ganx96

Stupid Me
Robert Onion
If It Takes All Night
Blast Off

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  12:52:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey trobrianders I downloaded that but my computer says "the movie could not be opened" what gives?
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  15:28:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dan I just tried out the download and it works fine. You unzipped first, right?

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  18:44:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
unzipped?

didn't work for me

oh well
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  02:45:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stuffit on a mac I think
In any case here are individual mp3 files.

Stupid Me
http://www.sendspace.com/file/wmz3l7
If It Takes All Night
http://www.sendspace.com/file/d6uh98
Robert Onion
http://www.sendspace.com/file/052mpc
Blast Off
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ovnjo0

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  08:00:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you're a mensch!
Go to Top of Page

Scarla O
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
947 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  23:43:50  Show Profile  Visit Scarla O's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This for me was a fantastic album that kicked the ass of the previous two catholic records...that it was recorded live is astonishing.

It's all good but the weakest track for me is 'If It Takes All Night'
Go to Top of Page

mediumhoot
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  06:02:03  Show Profile  Click to see mediumhoot's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If it takes all night happens to be my favorite!

Nice live version here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw8cXwlFDfk
Go to Top of Page

Scarla O
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
947 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  22:58:34  Show Profile  Visit Scarla O's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is a rocking version for sure.
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  08:24:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like Bullet, I think Dog in the Sand is the archetypal Catholics album, a mix of the hard rock albums preceding it and the country influenced albums ahead. I believe it to be the best Catholics album and yes...that they recorded all of it live is amazing!
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  08:51:15  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Simply put, FB's best. No one agrees with me on that, but i don't care!

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

Nate in the PDX
- FB Fan -

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  19:23:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you, Broken Face. DITS is my favorite FB record, too.

It's the pinnacle... which implies I think it's been downhill since then, which may seem assholish of me, but I do... but a bit downhill from such a peak is still rarified territory.

I love "I've Seen Your Picture," I love "If It Takes All Night," and I friggin' love "The Swimmer." It took me a while to come around on "Robert Onion" and "Hermaphroditos," but came around I did.

"Blast Off" was the biggest puzzle to me, and I confess to skipping it a lot when I just wanted to get on with it already (track two is getting on with in the biggest way). But then I got hip to the Rolling Stones thing and decided to just roll with it.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  01:14:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Um... I agree with you too Brian. I like to think Teenager and Bluefinger are as good but that idea falls down a hole when I'm spinning the Dog. The one reservation I used to have was Blast Off but hearing the excellent demo has made me change my mind about that. Oh and by the way, thanks again for sharing that acoustic version of St Francis Dam from an early podcast. I still play that one a lot. Are there any other good versions out there?

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  05:05:19  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Blast Off" is the big nut to crack on this record. If you can do that, you'll see the true genius of the record. Here's why:

1) Obtuse lyrics - there isn't a compelling story being told (like in "St. Francis"), or a clear word game (like "Robert Onion") - but there are a few fun little passages that may or may not fit together to make something bigger. Plus, there are more than the usual parsing out of $5 words and unusual phrasings.

2) The layers of instruments - Little things like Joey's heavily-affected guitar that might go unnoticed for the first 5, 10 or 100 listens suddenly burst forward in the mix once you hear them, and make the extended solo section at the end pop.

3) The looseness and jammy-nature - There are very, very few instances in the FB catalog of musicians jamming, and this is probably the first in that series, so a lot of long time fans were probably surprised to hear a bluesy, Exile on Main Street-ish number taking the most prominent spot on the record.

4) The length - Some people just can't sit still for seven minutes.

But if you overcome those 4 hurdles, it becomes a "never-skip" track, which it clearly is for me.

Plus - that was recorded LIVE. HOLY FUCK.

/rant

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  09:57:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

- Brian

In the same vein as "1826" .. I love both songs, underrated imo.

I have the key to #902

Edited by - 1965 on 01/13/2010 09:58:39
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  10:16:17  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Brian. I love everything you said but have one question:

$5 words?

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  10:33:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love Blast Off, i think it's a great opener and a really fun song to play on guitar. I think it works as an opener because of the quiet intro that eventually builds up to an excellent rootsy rocker that prepares you for the rest of the album
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  10:36:55  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Everyone who doesn't like Blast Off needs, first, to get his head checked, second, to get the fuck out of this forum.

In my humble opinion.

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
Go to Top of Page

Don Eduardo
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
403 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  11:25:25  Show Profile  Click to see Don Eduardo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Great album. Not my favourite Catholics album though, but there are some all-time FB Classics for sure - St Francis, Robert Onion, Bullet, The Swimmer, Llano, DITS....doesn't get a higher rating from me because there are a few songs that do nothing for me whatsoever (ISYP, Hermaphroditos). Incredible live sound on this album though, wish they'd put as much effort into the production on the next few records, because I think the songs were just as strong.

This album will always have fond memories attached to it though - it was the first FB release I was able to 'hang out' for, having got into FB/Pixies only around 2000. I remember listening to the first 30 seconds snippet of Blast Off ad nauseam on the net leading up to the release. It was pretty exciting.
Go to Top of Page

TAMAL
- FB Fan -

Australia
55 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  16:12:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definately one of Frank's best ablums. Every song is great, production is perfect, and it's the point where the Catholics really found their sound. Fave song: Blast Off.

Feeling sad that I've never seen, and probably will never see the Catholics live. Damn!
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  04:35:36  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
this album sucks.

i kid. it's my favorite catholics album. it just has that dark, nighttime sound to it. ISYP, st. francis, swimmer, stupid me, bullet, llano (some of my favorite frank lyrics on that one), DitS. not to mention the rest! it's just a pleasure to listen to, to pick out an instrument and follow it for the whole song (or album).

the americana vibe on this album opened up a whole new world of music for me. all of the sudden i was buying johnny cash and kris kristofferson records.

-----------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

gary13th
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
632 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2010 :  01:06:50  Show Profile  Visit gary13th's Homepage  Click to see gary13th's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

"Blast Off" is the big nut to crack on this record. If you can do that, you'll see the true genius of the record. Here's why:

1) Obtuse lyrics - there isn't a compelling story being told (like in "St. Francis"), or a clear word game (like "Robert Onion") - but there are a few fun little passages that may or may not fit together to make something bigger. Plus, there are more than the usual parsing out of $5 words and unusual phrasings.

2) The layers of instruments - Little things like Joey's heavily-affected guitar that might go unnoticed for the first 5, 10 or 100 listens suddenly burst forward in the mix once you hear them, and make the extended solo section at the end pop.

3) The looseness and jammy-nature - There are very, very few instances in the FB catalog of musicians jamming, and this is probably the first in that series, so a lot of long time fans were probably surprised to hear a bluesy, Exile on Main Street-ish number taking the most prominent spot on the record.

But if you overcome those 4 hurdles, it becomes a "never-skip" track, which it clearly is for me.

/rant

- Brian

I agree wholeheartedly. DITS and SMYT all the way, sadly downhill after that (in my honest opinion)

----------
I joined the Cult of the Catholics, Oh when will they return ?
Go to Top of Page

eroticvultcha
- FB Fan -

Ireland
81 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  13:53:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DITS is most definitely Frank's best. I'm just kicking myself that I never, and may never, get the chance to hear many of its brilliant tracks performed live by the band.
Go to Top of Page

gotmeamovie
- FB Fan -

158 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  11:36:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love this album

Never really got it till i was listening to it the other day.

it just hit me, wonderful song writing and lyrics, with great chord progression

its a crawler this one

10/10

"If all you've seen, is violence!"
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  05:04:36  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Something I've always wondered... Do you think If It Takes All Night is about the eponymous Roxy Music song? I don't think I've ever read Frank talk about this track. After all, Frank likes RM (in fact I bet he LOVES them based on his extensive use of saxophones recently), and he sings about his favorite song. So unless there is a third song somewhere called like this, I like to think the song is a tribute to the greatness of Roxy Music.

Denis

Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  05:05:43  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Plus, Roxy's If It Takes All Night could easily be covered by FB. It has the same tempo as Horrible Day.

Denis

Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  09:33:34  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRANSMARINE

Stump?!?!?!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His name is Dalton. He's got a degree in philosophy.
-bRIAN

i concur. dog in the sand was his cleanest sounding album to that point and a great album. one of the greatest of all time. but i still like cult of ray and the first catholics album more.
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  09:35:42  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arm Arm Arm

Like Bullet, I think Dog in the Sand is the archetypal Catholics album, a mix of the hard rock albums preceding it and the country influenced albums ahead. I believe it to be the best Catholics album and yes...that they recorded all of it live is amazing!

it's a definitely a great catholics one to start with (only because it preceded show me your tears and black letter day.) It's one part country. and one rock. with a little stones mixed in.
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  09:37:20  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gary13th

quote:

/rant

- Brian

I agree wholeheartedly. DITS and SMYT all the way, sadly downhill after that (in my honest opinion)

----------

i hope you got the two straight to i-tunes albums and christmass. in the same vain and both awesome.
Go to Top of Page

gary13th
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
632 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  01:21:03  Show Profile  Visit gary13th's Homepage  Click to see gary13th's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joe FITZ of molly BANG

quote:

----------

i hope you got the two straight to i-tunes albums and christmass. in the same vain and both awesome.

Yes I thought they were good too, the Nashville stuff and Black Francis stuff though for me are not good.

----------
Go to Top of Page

eroticvultcha
- FB Fan -

Ireland
81 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  01:18:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes I thought they were good too, the Nashville stuff and Black Francis stuff though for me are not good.

Even Der Golem?

"I've got my own gas tanks."
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  19:34:54  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks for the interesting thread

DITS was the 3rd live to two track record we did. I think it came out so clean cuz we were really starting to get how to do the live to 2 track thing, and it was the 3rd time (and last album) we did at Sound City Studios (great studio). After that me and Matt Yelton and then Ben Mumphrey built our own recording rig which was meant to be both old school analog and mobile; it was, but it also was a new challenge to find the right space to record in; I think that you can hear us working that out for the next 2 records and then we got "clean" again with SMYT, as we moved into an unoccupied studio space which was perfect for our rig. It is not as clean as DITS, but if you could see the difference in gear you would understand. I think I like all the live to 2 track records for different reasons on each. But DITS was for sure a real accomplishment for myself and the Catholics and we really put a lot of effort into it.

bf

Edited by - blckfrncs on 03/07/2010 19:35:46
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  21:01:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for commenting!
That's interesting about the studios - you definately really can hear that you guys mastered the studio, and 2 track recording on this record (I still can't believe it was recorded live!). You really can hear the effort that was put into the songwriting/arrangements/performance/recording, it's one of my all time favourite albums.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000