Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  21:17:26  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello, All!

The blasted paperwork keeps from this international border for a full 8 hours this evening! But a perfect time to start a Q & A thread. I couldn't find the old thread so my apologies if I just couldn't find it. Sunday; 12.19 am; July 5, 2009. Is anybody out there?

bf

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  21:24:02  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good evening, Mr. Francis... Frank Black here, tell me, I was wondering, what the heck is going on with that Golem record? Surely you were meant to have released it by now!!??
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  21:29:29  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blckfrncs

Good evening, Mr. Francis... Frank Black here, tell me, I was wondering, what the heck is going on with that Golem record? Surely you were meant to have released it by now!!??

Hi, Mr. Black. Funny you should ask that, I was just speaking with Mark Lemhouse this week, who is putting the Golem box set together for me, and he is finalizing the print job of the "box", which is going to be a bound "book" rather than a "box". It will have a rather large booklet with photos, lyrics, original session writing notes, original chord charts from the performance, etc. It IS taking a long time, I KNOW, but we'll all have to trust me that this work is actually going on...or you could bug Mark Lemhouse. I think he's got a website. Go on. Bug him! He might have more details than me!

bf
Go to Top of Page

Ernesto
- FB Fan -

Netherlands
99 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  21:54:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr. Francis, if you're still here, what do you think are your 3 most amazing moments you've experienced in your career ?

gonna bug ML later

Edited by - Ernesto on 07/04/2009 21:56:29
Go to Top of Page

Ernesto
- FB Fan -

Netherlands
99 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  22:01:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is your favourite song on Petit Fours ?
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  22:04:19  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ernesto

Mr. Francis, if you're still here, what do you think are your 3 most amazing moments you've experienced in your career ?

gonna bug ML later

1. recording with David Bowie
2. recording with Nashville cats too numerous to mention here
3. playing in Berlin at the Loft Club with The Pixies in 1988

Edited by - blckfrncs on 07/04/2009 22:04:53
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  22:06:49  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

What is your favourite song on Petit Fours ?

I love performing COME ON OVER TO MY HOUSE, I love listening to FORT WAYNE, I loved the writing process of ERMESINDE.

bf
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  22:07:48  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sorry so short. been a long day. pick it up again soon...
Go to Top of Page

Ernesto
- FB Fan -

Netherlands
99 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  22:09:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David Bowie is indeed a hero, unfortunately i've never seen him live

Can you give us a rough idea what your next project(s) will be ?
Go to Top of Page

Ernesto
- FB Fan -

Netherlands
99 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  22:11:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, thanks
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  00:11:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Mr. Francis! Thanks for stopping by! I am also really looking forward to the Golem project. Great news! Custom All the Way has been stuck in my head for the last week...I love it...and I will send Mr. Lemhouse a note!

Lots of exciting stuff to ask about. How were the recent Pixies shows? I was excited to see new songs added to the setlist. Any thoughts of doing more North American shows? and in regards to the NME article "Pixies planning Hollywood-themed new album"..were you just kidding around (if you did in fact make the comments)? I would love to hear new Pixies material.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"...long live snitz!!
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  00:32:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spontaneous Ideas with Frank Black/ Black Francis!

I see Winnipeg is not on the tour stop between Regina and Minneapolis. Were you originally planning on playing wpg but it was a matter of scheduling conflicts. I was hoping to see on the Winnipeg Folk Festival bill for July 9th but I thinking they already had their line up set before you planned the solo acoustic western leg of the tour. It's a great festival. I’m going on July 10th and really excited to see Neko Case and Iron and Wine.

If you are coming through Winnipeg before Minneapolis and have nothing planned on July 9th I am can come up with some ideas!! haha.. I have a friend who is a fan of yours and owns a great Italian restaurant and lounge in the city and they have live entertainment. His place holds 120 or so and I'm sure he would love to set something up for you to play some songs at his establishment....during the day or at night...whatever your schedule permits...(check your fb inbox if you are interested..i just send a message with more details)

Or some type of busking show! I could spread the word and get a great turnout! LOTS OF LOVE FOR YOU IN WINNIPEG and some great places to busk! I would be willing to take the day off work and be your personal guide! haha...

Edited by - fumanbru on 07/05/2009 04:55:20
Go to Top of Page

Crackitybones
- FB Fan -

Guadeloupe
65 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  00:43:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

gonna bug ML later

Hi BF, thanks for starting the Q&A thread up again. The King Holds Court was a cooler name though!
My Q is a follow up to the above; you've played a few gigs in your time, so can I ask what was particular about the Loft Club in 1988?
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  01:28:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the original thread by the way, I think?
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3015&whichpage=54

Hi Mr Black, great to see there is some progress with Der Golem! I assume it will still be released via www.blackfrancis.net store? That's where I keep looking anyway.

Interesting to see the Doolittle themed concerts coming up. Any chances you will be extending any of your tours (Grand Duchy, Pixies or solo) to the Southern Hemisphere? Everyone really enjoyed your Pixies + Black Francis shows here in Australia, would LOVE to see you back again anytime, even w/ Catholics - as they never toured down our way.

And finally, as was also asked by someone else - what is on the horizon as your next (or future project/s?) is the EDF collaboration still gestating for example? Thanks.

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  02:16:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mister B, unless I'm mistaken I believe you supported The Pistols around the early '90s. I was just wondering if John Lyon was a fan. I remember reading Joe Strummer attended some Pixies shows. And David Byrne.

pls forgive lameness of Post.
Go to Top of Page

jose
- FB Fan -

France
140 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  05:01:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear BF, I would like to know if you can give some keys about the cryptic meanings of "Hang Wire", I know it is a long time ago, but it is haunting me.

Your French fan.

I said Pretty Please !
Go to Top of Page

MissMaceo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  06:38:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Good evening, Mr. Francis... Frank Black here, tell me, I was wondering...

charming

I can think of no questions at this juncture; I blame lack of coffee but in truth it might just be a lack of imagination.

I do, however, have a comment: You have kept this Pixies fan intrigued and delighted for years with your body of work as both Frank and Francis and I am proud to call myself YOUR fan. I look forward to following your creative output for years to come, something I can honestly say is true for only a handful of artists.
I missed the fb/bf bandwagon for years and it's made for a wonderful opportunity to go back and experience the gems you've written, of which there seem to be no end.
Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  09:05:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I´m little late but I have to ask if there´s some plan to make a tour in South America this year, do we have any chance?? at least Chile , this year came Sonic Youth and they had a 10.000 people of audience, Pixies will have the same or more.

Take care

Salu2
Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  09:29:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any chance the Pixies will do a tour in America? I'm happy to see you adding more bossonova to the set lists! any chance of a new song or two from the Pixies?

Can't wait for the Golem! The songs I have heard from it sound top quality!!

Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  13:53:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can't do Winnipeg and not do Montreal, Frank. It just ain't right.

If you're gonna unleash the amazingness of Golem or Petits Fours or whatever you want onto Canada, mosey on over to Montreal.

I remember sitting in a basement listening to Fields of Marigold until I passed out.
Go to Top of Page

ClassicalRey
- FB Fan -

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  14:10:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A while back, some fellow who claimed to be Craig McCracken exclaimed his love for the song Virginia Reel. He claimed to have put a lyric from the song into his show Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.
It was true.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMgkhgp2Z3Q#t=40s

You and Mr. McCracken also worked together for the Powerpuff Girls movie for which you recorded Pray for the Girls.

Do you have any future plans making music for the world of children's animation (or otherwise)?
I just can't think of anything better than that.
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  14:36:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, thanks for stoping in. Do you know yet what tunes you'll play on the solo tour? Thanks again for swinging by Minneapolis. Very cool indeed.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  14:40:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crackitybones

so can I ask what was particular about the Loft Club in 1988?

Yeah I'm curious too. Was it just a damn good show?

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  20:03:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Hi, Mr. Black. Funny you should ask that, I was just speaking with Mark Lemhouse this week, who is putting the Golem box set together for me, and he is finalizing the print job of the "box", which is going to be a bound "book" rather than a "box". It will have a rather large booklet with photos, lyrics, original session writing notes, original chord charts from the performance, etc. It IS taking a long time, I KNOW, but we'll all have to trust me that this work is actually going on...or you could bug Mark Lemhouse. I think he's got a website. Go on. Bug him! He might have more details than me!

bf

mark lemhouse is the man! he responded to my enquiry and is now my facebook friend.

"What's up Mike?

I know you. We've traded e-mails before.

Sorry to hear Charles is skipping Winnipeg this year. I'll tell him Winnipeg needs love too.

We're so very close to getting The Golem done it's not even funny... It's pretty deep too. I'm having fun.

It's gonna win the Grammy for "Best Rock Album/Silent Film Soundtrack/Live Recording Ever."
I'm sure of it.

Pass that on the the FB.net folks.

Hey keep in touch. Nice talkin' to you.

-M "

Go to Top of Page

ChickenOfDepression
- FB Fan -

6 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  21:13:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr. Francis, when are you coming to play in Harper, TX? We've got a city population of 49 people, 2 gas stations, and an ATM machine. Unfortunately, there is no place to rock out around here, but I would gladly lend you my living room for the night. I guarantee you an attendance of at least 5 people. What do you say?

No? Did I mention free drinks? Ok then, how about San Antonio? Please?
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  21:09:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Charles, can you give us some more info on the upcoming B-side recording for GD's Seeing Stars single please. Will there be more than one song? Will there be a CD-single or digital versions only? And any idea on an ETA for the record? Thanks! >

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

Idalgo Clandestino
- FB Fan -

Yugoslavia
104 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  21:04:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl

Mister B, unless I'm mistaken I believe you supported The Pistols around the early '90s. I was just wondering if John Lyon was a fan. I remember reading Joe Strummer attended some Pixies shows. And David Byrne.

very good question! hope he'll answer it sooner or later ...

walk across my hardwood floor
Go to Top of Page

soderstromk
- FB Fan -

28 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  03:51:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David Byrne was cool. Then he became self-absorbed and arrogant. FBF is the antithesis of arrogant. This is one component, along with coolness, of his greatness.
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  05:01:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by soderstromk

David Byrne was cool. Then he became self-absorbed and arrogant.

You know David Byrne! Very cool.
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  18:17:06  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i am here

going through some of these questions

tonight was madison
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  18:18:03  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

David Bowie is indeed a hero, unfortunately i've never seen him live

Can you give us a rough idea what your next project(s) will be ?

hmmmm....no idea (as usual!).

bf
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  18:19:50  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fumanbru

Hello Mr. Francis! Thanks for stopping by! I am also really looking forward to the Golem project. Great news! Custom All the Way has been stuck in my head for the last week...I love it...and I will send Mr. Lemhouse a note!

Lots of exciting stuff to ask about. How were the recent Pixies shows? I was excited to see new songs added to the setlist. Any thoughts of doing more North American shows? and in regards to the NME article "Pixies planning Hollywood-themed new album"..were you just kidding around (if you did in fact make the comments)? I would love to hear new Pixies material.

pixies was nice. really nice. the future is....er.....undefined (as usual!).

bf
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  18:21:54  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fumanbru

Spontaneous Ideas with Frank Black/ Black Francis!

I see Winnipeg is not on the tour stop between Regina and Minneapolis. Were you originally planning on playing wpg but it was a matter of scheduling conflicts. I was hoping to see on the Winnipeg Folk Festival bill for July 9th but I thinking they already had their line up set before you planned the solo acoustic western leg of the tour. It's a great festival. I’m going on July 10th and really excited to see Neko Case and Iron and Wine.

If you are coming through Winnipeg before Minneapolis and have nothing planned on July 9th I am can come up with some ideas!! haha.. I have a friend who is a fan of yours and owns a great Italian restaurant and lounge in the city and they have live entertainment. His place holds 120 or so and I'm sure he would love to set something up for you to play some songs at his establishment....during the day or at night...whatever your schedule permits...(check your fb inbox if you are interested..i just send a message with more details)

Or some type of busking show! I could spread the word and get a great turnout! LOTS OF LOVE FOR YOU IN WINNIPEG and some great places to busk! I would be willing to take the day off work and be your personal guide! haha...

thanks for your kind offers. an Italian restaurant is usually always a good thing. winny alas was not able to work for reasons of the dull sort. see you soon.

bf
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  18:29:52  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crackitybones

quote:

quote:

gonna bug ML later

Hi BF, thanks for starting the Q&A thread up again. The King Holds Court was a cooler name though!
My Q is a follow up to the above; you've played a few gigs in your time, so can I ask what was particular about the Loft Club in 1988?

well...the wall was still up. something was still in the air. the lady of the house held court with champagne and machine rolled marijuana cigarettes which she grew on her balcony. she must have been 50 at the time. beautiful, all in black, hair bleached and shaved two inches above the ear. she loved us. her adoring husband smiled from the shadows. a lovely pair. the room was so stifling hot. smeared in condensation and thick black graffiti. we had arrived and we were celebrated. we had crossed the east and made it to berlin. a road movie to berlin. the van was thick with hashish smoke at 4 am as we blasted a cassette of lust for life, out the windows and ricocheting across the stone of brandenburg gate.

bf
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  18:31:31  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1965

Here's the original thread by the way, I think?
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3015&whichpage=54

Hi Mr Black, great to see there is some progress with Der Golem! I assume it will still be released via www.blackfrancis.net store? That's where I keep looking anyway.

YES.

Interesting to see the Doolittle themed concerts coming up. Any chances you will be extending any of your tours (Grand Duchy, Pixies or solo) to the Southern Hemisphere?

MAYBE.

Everyone really enjoyed your Pixies + Black Francis shows here in Australia, would LOVE to see you back again anytime, even w/ Catholics - as they never toured down our way.

And finally, as was also asked by someone else - what is on the horizon as your next (or future project/s?) is the EDF collaboration still gestating for example? Thanks.

I OWE HIM A CALL.

I have the key to #902

bf
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  18:35:18  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl

i did do some sort of festival in italy where they were headlining...can't remember where. i was still recovering from salmonella poisoning and lyle was still recovering from being hit very hard in the balls at some very sketchy traveling carnival ride we attended in strasbourg. it was a painful day but we got through it. never god to meet the great strummer. got to meet jones though. love em both. carbon silicon is one of my favorite bands....

bf
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000