Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  18:36:54  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jose

Dear BF, I would like to know if you can give some keys about the cryptic meanings of "Hang Wire", I know it is a long time ago, but it is haunting me.

Your French fan.

I said Pretty Please !

hmmm....i suppose the song is a kind of metaphorical landscape for the futility of it all...

bf
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  18:37:56  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MissMaceo

quote:
Good evening, Mr. Francis... Frank Black here, tell me, I was wondering...

charming

I can think of no questions at this juncture; I blame lack of coffee but in truth it might just be a lack of imagination.

I do, however, have a comment: You have kept this Pixies fan intrigued and delighted for years with your body of work as both Frank and Francis and I am proud to call myself YOUR fan. I look forward to following your creative output for years to come, something I can honestly say is true for only a handful of artists.
I missed the fb/bf bandwagon for years and it's made for a wonderful opportunity to go back and experience the gems you've written, of which there seem to be no end.
Thank you.

thank YOU.

bf
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  18:38:39  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ccuadros

I´m little late but I have to ask if there´s some plan to make a tour in South America this year, do we have any chance?? at least Chile , this year came Sonic Youth and they had a 10.000 people of audience, Pixies will have the same or more.

Take care

Salu2

we shall see....

bf

Edited by - blckfrncs on 07/11/2009 18:39:12
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  18:40:11  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skatealex1

Any chance the Pixies will do a tour in America? I'm happy to see you adding more bossonova to the set lists! any chance of a new song or two from the Pixies?

Can't wait for the Golem! The songs I have heard from it sound top quality!!

always that chance...

bf
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  18:41:15  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ClassicalRey

A while back, some fellow who claimed to be Craig McCracken exclaimed his love for the song Virginia Reel. He claimed to have put a lyric from the song into his show Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.
It was true.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMgkhgp2Z3Q#t=40s

You and Mr. McCracken also worked together for the Powerpuff Girls movie for which you recorded Pray for the Girls.

Do you have any future plans making music for the world of children's animation (or otherwise)?
I just can't think of anything better than that.

only if its with craig....
bf
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
233 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  18:41:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Black Francis,

Will your cover of That Burnt Out Rock and Roll see the light of day any time soon? What about The Water and Rabbit Hole?
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  18:43:01  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1965

Hi Charles, can you give us some more info on the upcoming B-side recording for GD's Seeing Stars single please. Will there be more than one song? Will there be a CD-single or digital versions only? And any idea on an ETA for the record? Thanks! >

I have the key to #902

tis an instrumental...sort of....

bf
Go to Top of Page

Ernesto
- FB Fan -

Netherlands
99 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  19:23:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Charles, last years precores, can you tell us how you'd experience them and which one(s) were the most special ?
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  05:57:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great stuff! thanks for taking the time to stop by.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"...long live snitz!!
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  07:32:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Beloved Black Francis.

Is there a personnality or idol you cherished a lot for years that you managed to meet and for some reasons showed you that you were bugging him and acted indifferent or dispising towards you?
How would you react and what would be your advice in such a situation?

What do you think when fans request Frank Black songs the same way they were asking for Pixies songs not so long ago?

By the way, will Frank Black release a new album soon, it's been SO long...

Merci

++++
Go to Top of Page

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  16:53:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Mr. Francis!

What's your favorite Fall album or song...and I was always curious when you added the "uh" to "this is a song about something there-uh" is that a little wink wink acknowledgement to the Mark E Smith-esque delivery of the vocals on Subbacultcha?

Own all your albums and none of them ever gets dusty!
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  19:24:07  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oddball

Dear Black Francis,

Will your cover of That Burnt Out Rock and Roll see the light of day any time soon? What about The Water and Rabbit Hole?

Someday. They just got stuck in the pondering place now for some time. It's hard to get them out of that space. They become religious rites. Echoes. Mantras.

bf
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  19:27:20  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ernesto

Charles, last years precores, can you tell us how you'd experience them and which one(s) were the most special ?

Dublin pretty much won that contest. But I had a great time in Kobenhavn. Lausanne was pretty special cuz I got the royal treatment at the art museum and an old friend from Puerto Rico (Vicky) came to hang out with me. The whole concept really seemed to click with attendees and myself equally. Thanks again to all who were there.

bf
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  19:28:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank,

What part of your job/career gives you the most pleasure?

Do you ever wish you had done something else?
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  19:33:35  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo

Dear Beloved Black Francis.

Is there a personnality or idol you cherished a lot for years that you managed to meet and for some reasons showed you that you were bugging him and acted indifferent or dispising towards you?
How would you react and what would be your advice in such a situation?

What do you think when fans request Frank Black songs the same way they were asking for Pixies songs not so long ago?

By the way, will Frank Black release a new album soon, it's been SO long...

Well, let's see....that has never happened to me because I wouldn't dream of bugging an idol or somehow be a burden to him or her. When people get the cold treatment it is usually because they are drunk, demanding, disrespectful, or completely ignorant of common notions of personal space.

I don't think anything of requests other than "can I do it or not?".

New albums...dunno.

bf

Merci

++++
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  19:35:42  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darwin

Frank,

What part of your job/career gives you the most pleasure?

Do you ever wish you had done something else?

great question. I guess that moment of recording a song and hearing it back for the first time.

No I don't ever wish for that. I wish for many things. But not that.

bf
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2009 :  19:37:56  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Itchload

Hello Mr. Francis!

What's your favorite Fall album or song...and I was always curious when you added the "uh" to "this is a song about something there-uh" is that a little wink wink acknowledgement to the Mark E Smith-esque delivery of the vocals on Subbacultcha?

Own all your albums and none of them ever gets dusty!

I must confess I have not hear all of the Fall that there is to hear. But his thing is pretty seductive and I am constantly influenced by it. I know I AM CURIOUS ORANJ the best.

bf
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2009 :  00:12:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blckfrncs

well...the wall was still up. something was still in the air. the lady of the house held court with champagne and machine rolled marijuana cigarettes which she grew on her balcony. she must have been 50 at the time. beautiful, all in black, hair bleached and shaved two inches above the ear. she loved us. her adoring husband smiled from the shadows. a lovely pair. the room was so stifling hot. smeared in condensation and thick black graffiti. we had arrived and we were celebrated. we had crossed the east and made it to berlin. a road movie to berlin. the van was thick with hashish smoke at 4 am as we blasted a cassette of lust for life, out the windows and ricocheting across the stone of brandenburg gate.

bf

Best post ever. Maybe Wim Wenders is your man? He worked with Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds round about that time in Berlin. A dream; your guitar over his landscapes. Please look up his road movies Kings of the Road or Alice in the Cities if you haven't already. And maybe you're a fan of Ry Cooder's soundtrack for his great Paris, Texas? A Pixies/Wenders Traumfilm from a far-flung world would really be something; Iceland, Patagonia, Amazonian jungle or the Trobrianders. Or Herzog even. If I stop to imagine Pixies scoring Herzogscape! A story like Aguirre's might have already been a Pixies influence?

Your post brought back a lot of memories; Working in a run down Parisian restaurant summer of 89 before heading October for Aix-en-Provence in the South for my student year. Saw you play at Bataclan July where Doolittle sound just crystallised for me. I'd never heard anyone in the service of their sound quite like that before - totally inspiring. Hot heady French summer, palpable, then Tiananmen happened. Then having German friends crying on my shoulder after I reached Aix and the Wall came down. Some kind of time to be taking a Contemporary European Studies degree!

Edited by - trobrianders on 07/14/2009 03:10:22
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2009 :  13:13:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr Francis,

Why do you play Marshall amps with the Pixies, but Voxes the rest of the time? It's purely a guitar geek question, I know, but I've been wondering.

And it's awesome to hear that more 'Bossanova' songs got played recently. I petition for 'Rock Music' to be played more in future!

thanks,

Edited by - Ziggy on 07/14/2009 02:27:15
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2009 :  16:31:36  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
soooo, possible bossanova tour in 2010? would you please consider putting "the happening" into your regular line up?

saw you last night in milwaukee. "song of the shrimp" was especially haunting. how do you feel about taking other peoples' songs and completely owning them?

-----------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2009 :  20:07:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Black Francis, Do you think it was a long journey to figure out your muse as an artist- what was it like for you to start writing songs? Was it just something that came naturally to you? I remember reading that you wrote here comes your man in your early years.

You have influenced me to start my own band and write music- just gotta find another member or two. The musician life seems like good fun and I'm sure very rewarding!

I'm really looking forward to your upcoming albums

thanks !

Edited by - Skatealex1 on 07/13/2009 21:12:32
Go to Top of Page

gyaneshwar
- FB Fan -

194 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2009 :  00:06:21  Show Profile  Visit gyaneshwar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Carl

Mister B, unless I'm mistaken I believe you supported The Pistols around the early '90s. I was just wondering if John Lyon was a fan. I remember reading Joe Strummer attended some Pixies shows. And David Byrne.

pls forgive lameness of Post.

i did do some sort of festival in italy where they were headlining...can't remember where. i was still recovering from salmonella poisoning and lyle was still recovering from being hit very hard in the balls at some very sketchy traveling carnival ride we attended in strasbourg. it was a painful day but we got through it. never god to meet the great strummer. got to meet jones though. love em both. carbon silicon is one of my favorite bands....

bf

Thanks for the Carbon/Silicon tip - just downloaded it, and it is GOLD. I needed a new Mick Jones fix.
Go to Top of Page

freedom rocker
- FB Fan -

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2009 :  16:59:34  Show Profile  Visit freedom rocker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Mr. Black. I, like many others, started a band inspired mainly from the pixies and later on I love you're solo work just as well. I have one question that I always have wanted answered. I know it's probably been covered on the forum before, but I don't always get the chance to be on.
Here goes; How did you develop the unusual timing techniques that have been (I think) your trademark over the years. Were you influenced, or did you come up with that style on your own. Because if you were influenced by someone i would definitely check them out. Thanks, you have always been an honest beacon.

the blues isn't an art-form, it's a product-- not unlike computer chips and tampons.
--dead milkmen

Edited by - freedom rocker on 07/14/2009 17:01:49
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2009 :  18:22:02  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

Mr Francis,

Why do you play Marshall amps with the Pixies, but Voxes the rest of the time? It's purely a guitar geek question, I know, but I've been wondering.

And it's awesome to hear that more 'Bossanova' songs got played recently. I petition for 'Rock Music' to be played more in future!

thanks,

we were opening for soul asylum in missouri in like 1988 when joey and i decided that, well, yes, we should have marshalls, too. so that kinda became our touring amplifier. but, yes, i now find i generally prefer vox ac30 to anything else.

bf
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2009 :  18:25:43  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jose Jones

soooo, possible bossanova tour in 2010? would you please consider putting "the happening" into your regular line up?

saw you last night in milwaukee. "song of the shrimp" was especially haunting. how do you feel about taking other peoples' songs and completely owning them?

-----------------------

yes that would be nice to do a bossanova tour. i raeally like the happening, too, especially the outro.

well, i heard a townes van zandt version which he kind of "owned", too, and i was just so inspired by it i had to try myself. i switched it to minor key so as to tune in more to the dark side of the lyric as opposed to the funny side of the lyric. it's a great song, i think. silly, haunting, poignant, etc.

bf
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2009 :  18:26:46  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skatealex1

Black Francis, Do you think it was a long journey to figure out your muse as an artist- what was it like for you to start writing songs? Was it just something that came naturally to you? I remember reading that you wrote here comes your man in your early years.

You have influenced me to start my own band and write music- just gotta find another member or two. The musician life seems like good fun and I'm sure very rewarding!

I'm really looking forward to your upcoming albums

thanks !

i decided when i was five years old.

bf

Edited by - blckfrncs on 07/14/2009 18:27:23
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2009 :  18:32:36  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by freedom rocker

Hello Mr. Black. I, like many others, started a band inspired mainly from the pixies and later on I love you're solo work just as well. I have one question that I always have wanted answered. I know it's probably been covered on the forum before, but I don't always get the chance to be on.
Here goes; How did you develop the unusual timing techniques that have been (I think) your trademark over the years. Were you influenced, or did you come up with that style on your own. Because if you were influenced by someone i would definitely check them out. Thanks, you have always been an honest beacon.

the blues isn't an art-form, it's a product-- not unlike computer chips and tampons.
--dead milkmen

hmmm...i will guess that i picked up on that sort of thing from the beatles. probably not even consciously, but just a kid listening to a lot of beatle records. i mean, just check out something like happiness is a warm gun. now, they were a lot cleverer than i. beatles odd timing things are just so smooth and seamless. you never even notice them. they are so perfect it's as if they were put there a million years ago. the beatles. so famous. but even they are underrated sometimes, if that makes any sense. they get credit, but sometimes not enough credit. credit for obvious things but no credit for certain odd or obscure things.

bf
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_
- FB Fan -

Ireland
105 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2009 :  00:36:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for dropping in Frank,

Glad to hear you enjoyed the Dublin precore. I remember being at the band stand inside Stephens' Green when local police announced that "No concert of any type" would be taking place here, to which I heard the response "You fuckin' die". I feel the joke did not quite come upon our law enforcers. We all got shuffled out like cattle, I turned around and you were literally behind me (somehow), so that was pretty cool >_>

In keeping with that, my question is related to your relationship with your fans. I mean to be fair, if you're on the frankblack.net forum, chances are you're going to be a pretty big fan as it is, but in general, is there a good relationship there or do you get fair-weather fans bugging you for Pixies songs at gigs etc. Similarly to what it says on the back of In The Aeroplane Over the Sea by Neautral Milk Hotel, friendships can be forged on a love of Catholics/Pixies stuff, I can't imagine there being any stalking incidents or anything quite so extreme.... Also, you do more for your fanbase than most artists I can think of. The precores, the youtube video telling people where to meet, asking for people's advice on local food recommendations, even posting on here! Is there a conscious effort there or... is it just pretty easy now to answer a few questions once in a while with the ease of the internet!

Flying to Glasgow to see you guys after both Olympia dates in Dublin sold out, only to see today that a third one has been added. Hopefully this one won't sell out within (seemingly) seconds. See you in Scotland (and hopefully Dublin then), cheers.

Edited by - frank_black_ on 07/15/2009 00:46:35
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2009 :  22:36:40  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Dear Frank,

Was there ever a plan to perform with Herman Brood's band Wild Romance? I read something about it on a Herman Brood forum.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2009 :  22:36:44  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Dear Frank,

Was there ever a plan to perform with Herman Brood's band Wild Romance? I read something about it on a Herman Brood forum.

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2009 :  22:36:49  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Dear Frank,

Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2009 :  23:00:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, let's see....that has never happened to me because I wouldn't dream of bugging an idol or somehow be a burden to him or her. When people get the cold treatment it is usually because they are drunk, demanding, disrespectful, or completely ignorant of common notions of personal space.

bf

Thanks for your frank answer.
I will meditate on it.

;)

Do you practice any kind of daily meditation by the way ?

++++

Edited by - Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo on 07/16/2009 23:03:08
Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2009 :  03:04:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Frank,

I´ve been wondering, will you record a live recording with full band as you did in hearitagain? those were epic performances.

Salu2
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2009 :  03:36:42  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
are you planning on touring for DER GOLEM with the folks you made it with? i ask because, though your solo shows are amazing, and though i listen to christmass all the time, i'd like to go to a show where i piss AND shit my pants, as opposed to just the former.

-----------------------
Go to Top of Page

that means soda
- FB Fan -

Canada
73 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2009 :  18:25:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Mr. Thompson,

I will be writing for my high school newspaper starting in september(La voix de la Rive-Nord), and it would blow away the whole school if I was to have a question answered by you (you're quite well known here in Quebec) in the first issue. I already see my article on the front page, and people shaking my hand as I walk down the hallway. "Felicitations!" they'd all say to me, "Bravo!".

so, here's my question (now I'm sorry to ask again about UFOs, but I happen to have discovered UFOs early in life and your music a bit
afterwards, so it gives me the right): if an alien aircraft was to descend on you as you drove alone on a dark road.. then beam a light that froze you in time for a moment, and ask you telepathically if you wanted to forever leave behind your life on earth and from that moment on witness unimaginable streams of information from outer space, would you agree to leave or not? (let's propose you theoretically have no children at that moment in time, since children appear to have a profound effect on a psyche.)

Also, since you made it that far, I would like you to ask me a question. Pretty much any question. You know, I ask you a question, you ask me a question. Thats how it goes. It will probably be on the front page, so now, be at least a little bit original.

Montreal, October 1st 2002
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000