Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  01:27:48  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've just listened to the acoustic demo of Blast Off. Some mighty fine playing by the man.

I wonder if other DITS demos exist apart from the bonus 4.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  03:07:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mmm....DITS acoustic demos Go on, load 'em up... for Homer.

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  05:46:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fbc

http://www.sendspace.com/file/8ocgq3

Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  06:15:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The hills are alive with the sound of DITS demos. Soren a sainthood can't be far off now. And dan get thee to a nunnery.

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  06:26:42  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All in the name of Frank.

if any tracks skip, mail me.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  06:46:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only thing skipping is me... for joy!

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  07:48:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danjersey

quote:
Originally posted by fbc

http://www.sendspace.com/file/8ocgq3

The Happiness of the Katakuris
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  08:56:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The little girl just isn't pulling her weight on the joy department.
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  09:19:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks floop

I thought it was an ad for fabric softener
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  10:05:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry, i just felt cool for recognizing a still from an obscure Takeshi Miike film
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  23:28:33  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ichi the Killer!
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  03:16:33  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
awesome. thanks, fbc!

i popped in OMRftH the other night and thought of this thread. some of the best catholics songs are sitting on that collection. ie pan american highway (obviously) and valley of our hope.

-----------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  04:12:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by floop

sorry, i just felt cool for recognizing a still from an obscure Takeshi Miike film

Have you seen Audition floop? It's a good one to try and figure out. We saw it as a male fear of commitment fable but we're still not sure.

Whatever, it scared the bejesus out of us.

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  07:58:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders

quote:

Have you seen Audition floop? It's a good one to try and figure out. We saw it as a male fear of commitment fable but we're still not sure.

Whatever, it scared the bejesus out of us.

I love AUDITION. i got to see it in a theatre with a full house once, which was tons of fun.

my friend who lives in Japan thinks it's about how Japanese women are crazy.. i don't know if Miike was trying to get at any specific message, but the film is definitely a genre bender . the whole first half plays like a romantic comedy, and then it just goes to the dark side and beyond.. which i think made it more effective. i like how throughout the film he only gives little hints to the horror that's happening.. like the bag in the room. soooooooooo fucking creepy. i think he also has a sense of humor about it too. i mean, it works on a straightforward horror level, but it's pretty over the top. to say the least
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  09:20:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jose Jones

awesome. thanks, fbc!

i popped in OMRftH the other night and thought of this thread. some of the best catholics songs are sitting on that collection. ie pan american highway (obviously) and valley of our hope.

-----------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.

Reevaluation begins at home with OMRftH. I wonder why it's undervalued? Is it because it doesn't have the fuller produced sound of SMYT? I play it way more often than SMYT, the songs on it just grab me more.

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  10:08:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

i think he also has a sense of humor about it too.

Thinking back it was the black humor that kept me watching, heh.

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2009 :  14:28:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So when IS Devils' Workshop day!?
and when are they going to do a half-speed mastered vinyl
set (in parts or ala MinoTAR)of killer outtakes and such that we all know exist
of the catholic's stuff
-??
Vinyl companies have re-mastered and expensively packaged
and priced some god-awful crap the last couple years..

it makes me so mad I am leaving my lame Senfield
era signature in place...

Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2009 :  14:29:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..wait here it is...

These pretzels are making me thirsty
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2009 :  14:33:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

[/quote]

[/quote]
Can I get those DITS demos on
180g vinyl please..

These pretzels are making me thirsty
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2009 :  14:36:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way -that is a great picture

These Thistles are making me perky
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  00:01:31  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Reevaluate this!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2n7O-c1yWM&feature=related

Frank Black and a Fender Jaguar.
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  13:10:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice. I think during the soundcheck/tuning portion (1st video) you can hear Frank playing the intro to Jane, the Queen of Love.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  13:34:54  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
:) I was waiting for Rich Gilbert's lead part to kick in... ah shucks what a band.

Is this footage available as a DVD someplace. Anybody good at ripping youtube vids and splicing them together? I'd pay to own it.

They will get back together one day, surely.
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  18:10:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try to find La Route du Rock from 2001. Great concert, would make an excellent dvd.
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  04:03:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fbc

Reevaluate this!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2n7O-c1yWM&feature=related

Frank Black and a Fender Jaguar.

Nice 1! The version of Calistan from this show is brilliant imo-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0IR1Xa0kUM

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  05:32:49  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They were so damn tight as a band. I love this comment:

"the catholics were the greatest. way way better than the pixies....in my opinion. we should all email frank till he brings em back!"

Edited by - fbc on 04/18/2012 05:33:23
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  06:18:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love that performance. The Jag has that real 'Teenager of the Year' sound.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2012 :  21:30:48  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice, a discussion of Miike. I've seen a few of his films, including 'Audition', but not 'Happiness of the Katakuris' (at first glance I thought the above pic might be from 'Taste of Tea'). I'm a huge fan of Japanese cinema in general.

I couldn't say whether the Catholics era will be reevaluated, but I do believe it's generated as many classic songs as the Pixies era, and surely the band itself is responsible for part of that magic. Lyle Workman was probably the best guitarist Frank ever worked with, and Scott Boutier is an awesome drummer.
Go to Top of Page

teenager94
- FB Fan -

Ireland
42 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  10:03:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've not been a member on this forum for very long, but have taken a look at it on previous occasions. The thing is nobody really has anything bad to say about the Catholics. I saw them 3 times back in my London days. The shows were just brilliant, filled with memorable moments. I really miss the Catholics and Frank touring in my part of the world. Mind you the 'Cult of Ray' gig in these parts was amazing as well. Just reading 'fool the world' by Josh Frank and Caryn Ganz. Rich Gilbert has plenty to say and is clearly full of knowledge on the Boston music scene. He only says good things about Black Francis and the Pixies. It's a pity the Catholics have no plans.......
Oh yeah, 'Audition' does indeed have a shocking last half hour!!
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  16:49:01  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by teenager94

I've not been a member on this forum for very long, but have taken a look at it on previous occasions. The thing is nobody really has anything bad to say about the Catholics. I saw them 3 times back in my London days. The shows were just brilliant, filled with memorable moments. I really miss the Catholics and Frank touring in my part of the world. Mind you the 'Cult of Ray' gig in these parts was amazing as well. Just reading 'fool the world' by Josh Frank and Caryn Ganz. Rich Gilbert has plenty to say and is clearly full of knowledge on the Boston music scene. He only says good things about Black Francis and the Pixies. It's a pity the Catholics have no plans.......

I don't typically hear anyone with anything bad to say either. I mean, around here anyway. On the boards it seems the Catholics are nearly as legendary as the Pixies. Which is fine with me - I feel that the Catholics were twice the band the Pixies ever were. Pixies are great, but come on now, if you're hanging out on the frankblack.net forum in mid 2012, odds are pretty damn good you tend to sway to the FB side of things, and odds are you tend to weight the Catholics heavily in that regard. No pun, btw.

Ayerigvlagabriga-Raraaaargh!-Rumbahl-Jumbahl!
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2012 :  10:13:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the box set will usher in some positive re-evaluation. The novel presentation of the music will get some attention and hopefully the packaging will be pretty sweet.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2012 :  12:07:27  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm reevaluating the Shepherd's Bush gig.. Have you heard it? You must. Listening to it makes me believe the Catholics will perform once again, or that Daisy Girl and Kathryn will post again.

What a gig and if it's the last let the man speak before this awesome version of The Black Rider, "Thanks a lot for coming to our show, see you next time"
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2012 :  13:36:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

quote:
Originally posted by teenager94

I don't typically hear anyone with anything bad to say either. I mean, around here anyway. On the boards it seems the Catholics are nearly as legendary as the Pixies. Which is fine with me - I feel that the Catholics were twice the band the Pixies ever were. Pixies are great, but come on now, if you're hanging out on the frankblack.net forum in mid 2012, odds are pretty damn good you tend to sway to the FB side of things, and odds are you tend to weight the Catholics heavily in that regard. No pun, btw.

Ayerigvlagabriga-Raraaaargh!-Rumbahl-Jumbahl!

I think that could be taking it a bit far. as in, way too far

green star member since 2006. smb?
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2012 :  12:23:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Catholics era will not be reevaluated cos I said so.

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2012 :  09:09:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think they'll definitely be appreciated the more time goes on, more people discovering the music. Just off the top of my head, here's a random sampling of Catholics songs and they're all fantastic: Bullet, Robert Onion, Valentine & Garuda, How You Went So Far, Solid Gold, I forgot the title but the "your noose is going to break song" from the first album, Fields of Marigold, So. Bay, So Hard To Make Things Out, St. Francis, Massif Centale,...these are all great songs that will, I believe, be found by more and more listeners as time goes on.

While the Catholics have the feel of Great Bar Band, the songwriting is just amazing. Catchy, rocking, soulful and in some cases, with that peculiarity of needing a few listens to really understand what's going on and why it is so good.

If the Pixies are an otherworldy band, the Catholics are rooted here to the Earth, in ground and flame and the night's vastness between the F# and the C# minor chords.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000