Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  00:09:53  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
seems the love has faded....
just browsing through some old backups and came across the Pistolero demo tape that was uploaded here in 2007 or so...
and man, this album is just so killer.
it was my favourite of the catholics albums for years, and i do like the feel of the demo tape...
obviously the majority of the tracks are the same as on the record, but hearing the intro's and stuff just makes it feel more 'real'
very nice.

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
411 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  00:21:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pistolero is probably my most consistently played record of the whole back catalogue. I go on binges with others but Pistolero is always on the verge of being played. I just can't get enough of it. It was the first Frank Black album I bought. I'd just got into the pixies and found it hiding at the back of the pixies section in a local shop. Between the reversed moniker and the massive gulf in quality of the artwork I wasn't exactly sure if I was buying a solo album or just some misplaced impostor. I never made a better decision than to take a chance on that album.
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  05:35:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benji

seems the love has faded....
just browsing through some old backups and came across the Pistolero demo tape that was uploaded here in 2007 or so...
and man, this album is just so killer.
it was my favourite of the catholics albums for years, and i do like the feel of the demo tape...
obviously the majority of the tracks are the same as on the record, but hearing the intro's and stuff just makes it feel more 'real'
very nice.

would be nice to hear the whole Pistolero demo

you see, in 2007 I was without itunes

tis a sad sad story

sniff

Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  05:59:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2002, rich gilbert:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogJXyWF_a3U

1996, lyle workman:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG-ZQWfL2eU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFXBvEoX2Kk

and for those pistolero loves:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgsVMi_KJnY

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  09:49:35  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I loved 'The Cult of Ray', especially Frank's vocals and was half expecting the man to carry on in similar style with his next record. I was looking forward to it like a Doolittle 2. 'Frank Black and the Catholics' knocked me sideways when I first heard it. I didn't know what to think (I didn't have CoF's bonus disk to smooth the transition at the time).
With the change in vocal delivery and sound, and me being the sucker who thought 'The Man Who Was Too Loud' was about FB, I was down that I may have lost the FB I fell so hard for. Then came Pistolero, and with it, a greater appreciation for 'Frank Black and the Catholics'.
quote:
Originally posted by danjersey

would be nice to hear the whole Pistolero demo
you see, in 2007 I was without itunes
tis a sad sad story

sniff

"I'm listening to you Rich, too. If you're playing something good I might, you know, stay out for one more round"

Edited by - fbc on 05/09/2009 11:36:19
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  10:37:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, fbc, thank you! You made my week.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  11:02:15  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Au contraire, ma soeur. The Catholics have made your week ;P
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  11:07:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fbc

and me being the sucker who thought 'The Man Who Was Too Loud' was about FB

Um... me too. At the time I thought he was having a sly dig at critics who were moaning that he wasn't doing Pixies mark II instead of what seemed to be straighter rock. And I still think there was a little bit of that going on even though we've since discovered it's ostensibly about Mr Richman.

When I first listened to Brown, well I couldn't have been listening at all cos I didn't like it. It wasn't until I saw them play a couple of years later that I realised something was wrong, him singing Steak n Sabre was the one that got me. When I went back to the record it just blew me away. There's really no explaining it.

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  11:15:58  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
James Brown singing Steak n Sabre. heh. Don't you know that's a different kind of watch me! I got it! Yeeaah!

[2 cheesy posts in a row by me. i'm gonna shut up now]
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  11:31:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would kill to hear James Brown do steak n sabre. He'd be all over it like a Catholic Machine.

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  11:40:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fbc, you are a mensch!

Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  11:44:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fbc

"I'm listening to you Rich, too. If you're playing something good I might, you know, stay out for one more round"

Good lord, fbc. I ... jesus. God. Thanks. Thanks so much.

I suppose this is the wrong time to ask you for that way overdue email I've been expecting from you in forever.

I remember sitting in a basement listening to Fields of Marigold until I passed out.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  12:00:14  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know. It wasn't the Bruce Springsteen thing that ended communication, I promise. I deleted a few email accounts on a whim last year. Took me a few days to realise i'd lost contact details I never wanted to lose. I'll put an address in my profile.

I thank Benji for bringing the demos back to my attention. I wish all records were captured and released like this.
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  17:18:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

made a cover for it
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  17:51:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice, Dan.

Frank should start every song like Smoke Up...wanna hear it?

I remember sitting in a basement listening to Fields of Marigold until I passed out.
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  19:19:55  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by two reelers

1996, lyle workman:

i uploaded these clips...
i can also put the remainder of the gig up too if people want....
it's a great show...

and thanks for the artwork dan, good to have some art to add to my walkman...

Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  19:23:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow fbc, thanks.
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1018 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2009 :  22:19:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benji

quote:
Originally posted by two reelers

1996, lyle workman:

i uploaded these clips...
i can also put the remainder of the gig up too if people want....
it's a great show...

thanks for uploading!

how about "the last stand of shazeb andleeb" ? well - not for me, i have it the whole show on CD (but I have no youtube account) - but other people would love this, i think. lyle rocks away there. oh, and "adda lee" and "the creature crawling" and....

Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  00:29:53  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank can't win. I don't call him Black Francis and now I want back live to 2 track. Multi-track I want 2 tracked. Live to 2 track I want multi-tracked. I frickin' love CT's output rate but the downer is so much gets left behind. Benji's uploaded 'Freedom Rock' gets me every time.

Remember this?

quote:
Depending on how you count, Pistolero is my 10th record (counting Pixies), my 5th record (just counting solos), or my 2nd record as El Jefe for the Catholics. It is the 2nd record that I have recorded live to 2-track, which I am very proud of, perhaps too proud. I mean, who cares how I recorded it? Either it's good or it stinks. For those of you who want to write the bad, brief review, there you are - you can say something like "Frank writes in his own bio 'either it's good or it stinks'. It stinks." I don't mean to start off on such a seemingly defensive note; it was just a thought that popped into my head. Of course, I'm very appreciative of most reviews, even the bad ones, publicity being what it is. All right, for those who think Pistolero merits a word or two let me see what I can tell you about it.
It was meant to be a larger production, but still recorded live to 2-track; we were going to bring in additional musicians to play the parts that normally would have been overdubbed, and my old drummer Nick Vincent (on Frank Black and Teenager Of The Year) would be producing and acting as a kind of musical director for all the different musicians, writing charts and arranging, and basically being our Phil Spector; The Catholics would be the band at the core. Well, I kind of fucked up that concept. It ended up just being the core. I finished a batch of songs and got all excited. I called up the band, who all live on the East Coast, and asked if they could come out to L.A. in a few days. I overnighted them a hastily recorded demo of all the songs, some of which they had never heard, and I called Nick Vincent, who lives here in L.A. and begged him to get together with me the very next morning to hear all my precious, pretty little numbers that we were going to record the following week sans orchestra.

The recording went smoothly, done during two sessions totalling 10 days, longer than Frank Black And The Catholics which was a four-day session. The longer session allowed us to play the new material over and over while the tape ran. About half the songs were grown out of riffs and chord progressions that we'd been playing around with for months or even years, so it wasn't all new material, except to our new guitarist, Rich Gilbert (Ex-Human Sexual Response, Ex-Zulus, Ex-Concussion Ensemble), who had only just started playing with us. But the situation suited Rich just fine. He is a wild, spontaneous player, who Scott Boutier (drums), Dave McCaffrey (bass) and I had been admiring for years. Nick Vincent managed to squeeze in some great intuitive thought and extremely subtle direction and knew instantly which of the many takes we did should be on the record; so the sessions simply consisted of us playing, Billy Bowers recording, and Nick Vincent cracking the whip - no video gaming going on at a Catholics session
I know it doesn't fit in with what's happening in the charts, on the radio, in the typical, well-produced scene, but we love this whole live recording thing. And it seems appropriate for a band like us so stuck on the guitar, which by the way is a Spanish instrument that has been around since the early 1600's for those naysayers who are so quick to damn the guitar every time there is an innovation in automated music (hey, the metronome has been with us since the early 1800's). Personally, I think pop music grown out of a computer is a great advancement that brings more people to music, both artists and patrons. But is rock dead? Such a negative place from which to ask such a pointless question. Who knows how long music has been with us? That is a true mystery.

-Frank Black

Pistolero: Audio vérité
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  00:30:11  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.futurerocklegends.com/year.php?eligible_year=2018
Go to Top of Page

kelladwella
= Cult of Ray =

Germany
729 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  01:14:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for uploading the Pistolero Demo, Soren. It totally rocks.

Way to get the Catholics back into heavy rotation.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  11:10:26  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ey up, Kella! Long time no post.

Robert!
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  12:16:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm listening to Pistolero now for the first time in ages... wow.
As much as i now love the catholics, i also love what he is currently doing with his solo work and am more excited to see where he's going with his current stuff then to see him go back into the past
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  00:12:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

I'm listening to Pistolero now for the first time in ages... wow.
As much as i now love the catholics, i also love what he is currently doing with his solo work and am more excited to see where he's going with his current stuff then to see him go back into the past

I agree with that. What he's doing now as an artist/musician/whatever is more interesting than when he was leading the Catholics (though Catholics kicked all known sizes and shades of ass, obviously).

Pixies era hit some kind of height though. Credit where it's due, still!

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  21:29:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the demo! Good stuff. I don't know where my copy of Pistolero is; I have the case but not the disc--listening to this was great.
Go to Top of Page

ClassicalRey
- FB Fan -

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  20:26:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I Switched You is soo rockin.
I found this live video when I ran out of Frank stuff to watch on youtube, and I sought other video sources.
Maybe it's on youtube. I dunno.
http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/frank+black/video/x1y21p_frank-black-the-catholics_music
Go to Top of Page

kelladwella
= Cult of Ray =

Germany
729 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  21:41:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fbc

Ey up, Kella! Long time no post.

Robert!

Well, the catholics seem to do quite a good job in resurrecting people at the moment.

It took me two days to spot the link in your post. As always when you do this litle trick and imbed them in a word or a picture...
Go to Top of Page

bonedry
- FB Fan -

141 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2009 :  21:49:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
whatsonthecultofraybonusdisc
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2009 :  22:06:36  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
(mornin') Village of the Sun/Baby, That's Art/Everybody Got The Beat/Can I Get A Witness

i was referring to the first and last track ;)

oh yeah, and "bonus" is an understatement.

Edited by - fbc on 05/21/2009 22:10:26
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2009 :  04:05:41  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i'm a sucker for frank songs in the style of:

my favorite kiss
southbound bevy
preacher's daughter
out of state
don't cry that way
lolita
she's my way

oooh baby!

i know some of these aren't catholics songs, but i didn't want to start a new topic.

-----------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2009 :  05:57:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only really got into 'Pistolero' a few months ago. But it's now the Catholics album that I listen to the most.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2009 :  06:34:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arm Arm Arm

Will the Catholics be appreciated by a wider audience in the future; not so much for an experimental edge but based on the high song writing quality? I don't know...I think so.

The way Frank wedded traditional rock-n-roll and country/rockabilly to his unique voice and songwriting is wonderful.

c'est tout

Just thinking about your original question, I guess yeah. Based on the high songwriting quality I guess a wider audience is gonna get into Frank & The Catholics over time and that is very cool.

But all the young pups that took such easy shots at Frank throughout his career... It's getting a bit fashionable to like Black Francis again so who knows. It kind of puts me in mind of the song When They Come To Murder Me.

Srisaket
= Cult of Ray =

Thailand
313 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2009 :  22:06:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In answer to Arm Arm Arm.

No, I don't think that they will be re-evaluated.

The Catholics are regarded by many as Frank Black's backing band and in any evaluation of his solo career they will be regarded purely as an adjunct.

Also, due to various other factors, they will never gain the amount of critical currency required to sway potential listeners.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  08:29:45  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank's Crazy Horse.

I'm gonna reevaluate Dog in the Sand.
I remember playing it a lot back in the day but can't remember the last time I span it it's been that long. Years.

DITS, TOTY and FB: £18.94 for all three on amazon. Bargain! They should slip these into Minotaur.

Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  14:26:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've listened to BLD while eating a BLT.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000