Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2009 :  08:46:23  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
true blue is one of my favorite fb songs.especially since I heard about the wordplay in it.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2009 :  08:57:50  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't understand the 'bloated album' arguments, at least not with FB. I understand wanting to pare it down to the most excellent (sorry Bill & Ted) songs to share with the world, I guess but everybody's best are obviously different so isn't it enough that they're FB's favourites? The more the better though I guess as long as you're letting me pretend that the others are B-sides I can't complain too much.

Whispering Weeds would be a great opener, though, and I neither love nor dislike True Blue (which is a marked improvement from my stance on it when the album was released). Even the songs I never listen to like 1826, I'm still glad they're there. It's good to know FB doesn't pander. And I always feel alone in this, but I really like both Black Riders and feel they set the mood for the album and also the transition to DW which, of course, you're listening to right after BLD.

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2009 :  09:41:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could care less pairing it down. It needs to be paired away entirely.

Of course, I am joking.

There's good stuff on BLD. I just don't appeal to it (as opposed to it to me). Originally I really liked it, but it's strength very quickly seemed to me to not be up to par with Frank's (I still can't get myself to refer to him as Black Francis outloud or by key) prior Catholic mass of FB&C, Pistolero, and DITS. The big, bad-ass loud sound was diminished...in artscape as well as technical prowess...and replaced with an album as wayward, wandering and aurally weak as the characters in it...which, normally, should be cool...but this was just boring. Sorry.

Thank goodness it's evil twin emerged from the Devil's Workshop to bitch-slap it around a bit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His name is Dalton. He's got a degree in philosophy.
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2009 :  09:55:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fbc

I'm in. Devil's Workshop Day. Any excuse to take this bad boy for a spin

I hope it's not windy.

Wow, fbc, that's so cool. For some reason, I didn't think that it was real. How the heck did you get your hands on something so cool? What's it like driving around town in it?
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2009 :  10:32:27  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry mates, I listened to DW today and while it's a great record, it doesn't compare to BLD.
Strangely, I found Whiskey In Your Shoes amazingly good today, whereas I never cared for it since it got released.

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2009 :  10:48:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRANSMARINE

I just don't appeal to it (as opposed to it to me).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His name is Dalton. He's got a degree in philosophy.
-bRIAN

Don't tell anyone but BLD has got a crush on you. So next time you see her...

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2009 :  11:17:20  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A friend has said Cold Heart of Stone is his favourite
FB track.

It took me longer to get into these albums than any other.
I remember sitting in a basement listening to Fields of
Marigold until I passed out.
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2009 :  15:37:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammerhands

I remember sitting in a basement listening to Fields of
Marigold until I passed out.

May I make that my new forum sig, hammer?

fbc, kindly explain the truck!

I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me.
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2009 :  20:04:18  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Really? Sure! True story.
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  06:43:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
listening to Devils Workshop
It has been some time
His Kingly Cave is now my current most up to-date favorite song. It was Out Of State but wait...
OK. San Antonio, TX. This is my favorite song

"I am here in the he Pixies are fckn Sellouts forum 1am apr 23"
blckfrncs
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  10:26:50  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank
Even the songs I never listen to like 1826, I'm still glad they're there.

You purposely skip 1826 when listening to BLD? You're a very sick person, Dean. Do you also wear nipple clamps when you put the record on?

Denis

Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  11:55:59  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daisy Girl

Wow, fbc, that's so cool.

Thanks, Daisy!
quote:
Originally posted by kathryn

fbc, kindly explain the truck!

I had to give it back to Google this morning. I'd hired it for a week to advertise Spandau Ballet's reunion tour.

Oh. No Catholics for me today but i have been thinking which is my favourite: Out Of State or San Antonio? California Bound?

Edited by - fbc on 04/27/2009 11:58:28
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  12:10:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

quote:

You purposely skip 1826 when listening to BLD? You're a very sick person, Dean. Do you also wear nipple clamps when you put the record on?

Denis

I really enjoy listening to 1826

its as if I'm immune to some poison that other Frank fans find fatal
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  14:25:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammerhands

Really? Sure! True story.

I remember sitting in a basement listening to Fields of Marigold until I passed out.
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  15:51:48  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1826 is great. i think it would be more appreciated as a b-side instead of it being smack in the middle of bld.

does album art affect everyone else as much as it does me? i only hear BLD songs in black and white because of the album art, if that makes any sense...

-----------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  16:42:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jose Jones

1826 is great. i think it would be more appreciated as a b-side instead of it being smack in the middle of bld.

does album art affect everyone else as much as it does me? i only hear BLD songs in black and white because of the album art, if that makes any sense...

-----------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.

haha me too. I associate all Pixies and FB albums with their covers
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  02:14:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't mind me. I'm just on a Dave Phillips kick right now. A little love for some individual Catholics, how about it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff6UsanP5E4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9xHW3Ave9g&feature=channel_page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  06:50:37  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

quote:

Denis

Don't you?? I thought we all did. In fact, I was about to start a thread about favourite batteries to use...

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  12:15:23  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
heh. each to their own. thanks for that revelation, Cult. I was going to post earlier but thought yours deserved a little more time in the spotlight.

Moving on. I reckon the Pixies should cover some Catholics. Seriously. And some Breeders. A compromise. New fans won't know. They'll love it. Everyone will love it. I can see the smiles now. In heaven...

I never listened to D.I.T.S as often as I should have.
Go to Top of Page

bonedry
- FB Fan -

141 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  18:49:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good call on the catholics covers.and cannonball and divinehammer.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  22:56:31  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
good call on the breeders covers. in our dreams, yeah. tonight i'm seeing Belly, Breeders and Frank. 4AD Tour.

Edited by - fbc on 04/28/2009 22:58:09
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  03:50:30  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders

A little love for some individual Catholics, how about it?

Two Catholics walked into a bar...

Edited by - fbc on 04/29/2009 04:11:15
Go to Top of Page

kathryn
~ Selkie Bride ~

Belgium
15320 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  10:54:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fbc

quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders

A little love for some individual Catholics, how about it?

Two Catholics walked into a bar...

Oh

my

god

!

I remember sitting in a basement listening to Fields of Marigold until I passed out.
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  16:14:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks fbc. Who are Grandmother's Curse and man in a can? Are they members here?
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  23:07:52  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it's me and oldmaninacoffeecan =)

i think Rich (oldman) recorded it back in 2005/06.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  23:18:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks fbc. Who are Grandmother's Curse and man in a can? Are they members here?

Grandmother's Curse also put this gem up, an in-store acoustic End of Miles. Look out for the woman at the end who looks like she's just discovered Frank and is totally into him. The birth of fandom.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42OlicvzLYA&feature=channel_page

gary13th
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
632 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  02:15:18  Show Profile  Visit gary13th's Homepage  Click to see gary13th's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've kind of lost interest after Show Me Your Tears, I wasnt a big fan of Honeycomb or Fast Man Raider Man, Christmass is good but the whole Black Francis/Grand Duchy thing ... its like a different artist. I've not really been bothered about the Black Francis stuff, Grand Duchy is good though. The live stuff with the catholics for me is immense, I add random tracks to my mp3 on a regular basis, the songs are mostly performed even better than on the album.

The Catholics era is definetly my favourite era, but I think its currently unlikely that Frank will hit those heights again in the near future.

PS I prefer the name Frank Black over Black Francis anyday

----------
I joined the Cult of the Catholics, Oh when will they return ?
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  12:23:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When Fb & the C's transitioned from ALL THE TIRED HORSES to NIMROD'S SON was an amazing live moment. Just as I'm settled into the mellow country vibe of Horses, Frank suddenly rips Nimrod's opening notes and they take off. Amazing.

I couldn't believe how potent a pixies song sounded live. That whole first show (I'd seen them open for Pearl Jam several years earlier) was incredible...they kept playing on and on and on, something like a 34 song set and then one encore.

It was exhilirating.

Frank's version of Six-sixty-six was wonderfully horrific, his sweat covered face bright red, mouth a demonic abyss from which arose a bone shattering rumble, pausing just long enough for the Catholics warped burst of noise.

Other highlights from another show were getting John the Revelator per my request and hearing Jack Kidney wail away with the band, culminating in an insane version of Cactus to end the concert. I also caught one of Scott's drumsticks. What a night!

I enjoy the Double Door show but man, too bad Hearitagain didn't record the concert I was at...it was incredible!

Gouge Away, Jumping Beans, Superabound (!), John the Revelator...what a show.
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2009 :  16:04:42  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
to celebrate the catholics love-fest, here's a tasty wee show from The Beachcomber, Wellfleet, MA (1999-07-18) during the underappreciated pistolero days...
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3E54HBPG
it's taken off a webcast i believe, so is very good quality...
it does suffer from a few digigpops in the middle of the set, but that doesn't detract from a nice wee (sub)set from the guys..
01. All My Ghosts 02. Czar 03. Calistan 04. You're Such A Wire 05. Superabound 06. Los Angeles 07. I Switched You
08. Man Of Steel 09. Skeleton Man 10. Don't Ya Rile 'Em 11. (I Want To Live On An) Abstract Plain 12. I Gotta Move
13. Dog Gone 14. Suffering 15. Steak 'n' Sabre 16. Kicked In The Taco 17. Headache 18. Smoke Up 19. So Hard To Make Things Out

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Go to Top of Page

bonedry
- FB Fan -

141 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2009 :  19:07:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
smoke up es mal. western star tambien..
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2009 :  23:29:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent! Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  07:59:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks fbc for putting it up there! The video rocks. Thanks to old man if you're reading this. You rock. fbc, any word from old man? I miss having him around here.

benji, thanks for the show. I can't wait to download and listen to it.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  08:50:54  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks fbc for putting it up there! The video rocks. Thanks to old man if you're reading this. You rock. fbc, any word from old man? I miss having him around here.

Me too. Both here and in my inbox. I haven't heard from him for a few years now which was worrying, but I hope he's having fun, wherever he maybe. He had THE best FB inside info and plenty of stories he never shared.

He LOVED the Catholics!

Edited by - fbc on 05/03/2009 08:51:15
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  17:23:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, his enthusiasm is missed.

hey tro, I am sorry for being dumb and missing it first time but what a great preformance! How cool would it have been to be in that store just listening in?

benji, I haven't been able to listen to the file yet. It's a long story and a weird technical issue on my end, but I can't wait to get my hands on the download soon!

So let the love fest continue.... if you can talk me into it, I'll wear my new fb&thec's baseball cap to the party!
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  17:35:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks benji
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly