New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  04:15:57  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Seriously, the "Minotaur" boxset of old albums and ANOTHER friggen reunion tour in 2009 is a joke. With no new material to plug, the Pixies are just taking the piss and taking money off fans so they can play the same old setlist AGAIN. They have it in them to write some decent new material, but as a band they have become irrelevant. PLEASE GIVE UP THIS SERADE WHILE YOU STILL HAVE SOME CREDIBILITY, OR DO THE RIGHT THING AND RECORDING A NEW ALBUM.

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  05:24:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty pissed at them for making excitement over this pointless box set. can't believe they are still milking the tour##############################################################
Go to Top of Page

mediumhoot
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  06:45:25  Show Profile  Click to see mediumhoot's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You should be happy that you might get to see them play live again. Any real fan would.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  07:02:01  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's true, but IMO the Pixies were and always will be bigger than the greatest hits band I so hope they don't turn into. I don't know what songs they're planning to play, but if it's similar to the Sellout Tour i'd be paying for a ticket only because "It's the Pixies, man!!". Like it doesn't matter what they play. But it does to me. So if it don't appeal, I don't go. Simple. No fret. All is happy. Good luck to them always.
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
944 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  07:08:35  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
nobody here will confuse loving the band because they still rock out and hating an overpriced and mostly redundant product

sminki pinki
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  07:10:08  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They could tour for the rest of their lives and still not earn what they deserved. That said, I've always been more of a post-Pixies fan, so I'd way rather have a Catholics reunion - but I suspect I'll have to wait, what, 20 years, for the rest of the world to appreciate what they missed when Black Francis inverted his name and took things to a new level.

Then again, 20 years from, say, 1992 is 2012, so...

Sellouts? Nah. Cash ins, sure. I'd really hope, like most here, that they completely vary the setlists, and of course I'd love new material.

Finally, I'd like to quote Kogi:

"Just like I want to see a full-band tour with Feldman & co. performing the [Orange] Album, I like going to a concert with the Pixies playing their old songs. It's still a nice night out, isn't it?"

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  07:24:36  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Depends how much the tickets cost ;)

Out of curiosity, I tried to find the date of the very last Catholics gig the other day. I Couldn't find it.

Edited by - fbc on 04/21/2009 07:41:29
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  07:32:26  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matto

nobody here will confuse loving the band because they still rock out and hating an overpriced and mostly redundant product

i bet they could seriously rock out live some Frank Black and Breeders songs.
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1995 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  08:26:24  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fbc
Out of curiosity, I tried to find the date of the very last Catholics gig the other day. I Couldn't find it.

December 1, 2003 - London, England, Sheperd's Bush Empire
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  08:26:39  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If they will change the setlist I will be there
come to think of it, I will probably be there anyway

boxset is disappointing though
still think there's more in the works

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  08:27:57  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Holiday Son

quote:
Originally posted by fbc

December 1, 2003 - London, England, Sheperd's Bush Empire

Thanks, stranger. I'm glad I was there. I danced with a girl.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  08:29:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm also somewhat annoyed by this. Although The fact that Vaughan Oliver and Simon Larbalestier worked on the project at least rescues it from being a completely redunant venture.

Edited by - Carl on 04/21/2009 08:29:55
Go to Top of Page

boner machine
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  08:42:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fbc

quote:
Originally posted by matto

i bet they could seriously rock out live some Frank Black and Breeders songs.

now that would be awesome, pixies playing fb and breeders stuff live.
Go to Top of Page

the acorahs
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  08:51:08  Show Profile  Visit the acorahs's Homepage  Click to see the acorahs's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The 'big' announcement is really disappointing.

"Reissue! Repackage! Repackage!
Re-evaluate the songs
Double-pack with a photograph
Extra Track (and a tacky badge)"

Except we don't get a revaluation of the songs, an extra track or even a tacky badge to stick to our pixies t-shirts (yours for £25!)

We get something that every pixies fan will have anyway (i.e the albums), a live gig DVD which is available on youtube (and will go with the five DVDs released during the 2004 tour, which like a sad little pixies fan I bought (loudquietloud, sell out, wave of mutilation, live at boston, live at newport)).

Furthermore, in terms of 'servicing' the fans by touring it seems that UK fans have it pretty tough, one gig at some shite festival with a bunch of boring past it/never had it/never will have it bands or you ain't going to see them (those exclusivity contracts must be worth an extra few quid)

I am pretty annoyed, obv I love pixies and frank black (otherwise it would be a bit weird contributing to the forum), but I think to build this announcement up as a BIG deal is really wrong. Even them playing as pixies is a bit meh, especially after all the bad blood there seemed to be once the first reunion tour ended. The reunion tour was never about anything other than money, that was clear, and to be honest I didn't mind paying to see them three times on that tour because it was built up to be this once in a life time kind of thing. But now, it just feels really crass.

And I never thought I would associate pixies with crass.

Anyway, rant over. I am off to drink a lot of vodka, tia maria and coke and start saving the pennies for the clam shell $450 box or whatever the fuck it is.

----------------------------------------
it is a wretched life and vanity is repulsive

www.myspace.com/thesexymistakes
Go to Top of Page

the acorahs
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  08:55:19  Show Profile  Visit the acorahs's Homepage  Click to see the acorahs's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the acorahs

The 'big' announcement is really disappointing.

"Reissue! Repackage! Repackage!
Re-evaluate the songs
Double-pack with a photograph
Extra Track (and a tacky badge)"

Except we don't get a revaluation of the songs, an extra track or even a tacky badge to stick to our pixies t-shirts (yours for £25!)

We get something that every pixies fan will have anyway (i.e the albums), a live gig DVD which is available on youtube (and will go with the five DVDs released during the 2004 tour, which like a sad little pixies fan I bought (loudquietloud, sell out, wave of mutilation, live at boston, live at newport)).

Furthermore, in terms of 'servicing' the fans by touring it seems that UK fans have it pretty tough, one gig at some shite festival with a bunch of boring past it/never had it/never will have it bands or you ain't going to see them (those exclusivity contracts must be worth an extra few quid)

I am pretty annoyed, obv I love pixies and frank black (otherwise it would be a bit weird contributing to the forum), but I think to build this announcement up as a BIG deal is really wrong. Even them playing as pixies is a bit meh, especially after all the bad blood there seemed to be once the first reunion tour ended. The reunion tour was never about anything other than money, that was clear, and to be honest I didn't mind paying to see them three times on that tour because it was built up to be this once in a life time kind of thing. But now, it just feels really crass.

And I never thought I would associate pixies with crass.

Anyway, rant over. I am off to drink a lot of vodka, tia maria and coke and start saving the pennies for the clam shell $450 box or whatever the fuck it is.

Ah shit, I just realised that in other topics everyone else has been making the same Smiths reference. I don't even have originality on my side. At least I have vodka though.

Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  09:09:31  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh no this is almost as disappointing as the SECC gig!

-cult-of-ray-wassabee-
Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  09:23:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Pixies have hit their biggest low!!!! And now they are going to tour more........ WTF!! They are turning into the carnival band that Frank didn't want them to be. FAIL!!!!! I would still see them again, don't get me wrong---- but this seems more like a business deal then music...... blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh---
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  09:38:22  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Frank's previous statements about not wanting to be a carnival band is the only thing that makes me wonder if this is not a big hoax. Maybe they will be more news. Sometimes hope is all we have...

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  09:59:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, if it was a hoax it'd be brilliant. Maybe we're being led through a deceptive labyrinth...
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2788 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  10:02:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what ever happened with this?

what... too soon?
Go to Top of Page

kfs
= Cult of Ray =

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  10:31:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do love the name Minotaur......half bull. I think that's just great.
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  10:36:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh c'mon, they are at least as relevant as Iron Butterfly.

Message boards were the lowest form of socializing until Twitter.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  11:11:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remember the time you first heard Pixies? It's still a nice present. It's just not for you.

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  11:30:29  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If anybody wants to spend £120 on me, please email me first for my wishlist (cheers)
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1074 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  11:35:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If they really wanted to frustrate fans they did it in the right way!
But...the more I think about it the more it doesn't add up.

The whole "BIG PIXIES ANNOUNCEMENT" to the "Tuesday is the new Monday" (prolonging the wait for another day) to finding the artwork, album title and release date before any announcement...it's either very shoddy PR or a perfect way to stir up some discussion, excitement, emotions and to test the water in terms of demand for a new album?
Let's not forget how the idea of a reunion was in some ways inspired by internet rumours, so could this be similar?

Maybe I'm being optimistic and maybe hoping this is the case.
I dont know if the pixies are way out of touch with their fans and legacy they're so precious about but I've never really had that impression...surely they're smart enough not to alienate a lot of fans?
Here's hoping.
Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1645 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  11:56:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

If they really wanted to frustrate fans they did it in the right way!
But...the more I think about it the more it doesn't add up.

The whole "BIG PIXIES ANNOUNCEMENT" to the "Tuesday is the new Monday" (prolonging the wait for another day) to finding the artwork, album title and release date before any announcement...it's either very shoddy PR or a perfect way to stir up some discussion, excitement, emotions and to test the water in terms of demand for a new album?
Let's not forget how the idea of a reunion was in some ways inspired by internet rumours, so could this be similar?

Maybe I'm being optimistic and maybe hoping this is the case.
I dont know if the pixies are way out of touch with their fans and legacy they're so precious about but I've never really had that impression...surely they're smart enough not to alienate a lot of fans?
Here's hoping.

I was thinking about this, I am even thinking that they will be inspired to make new music after seeing the disappointment of their fans---- but it seems similar to last time there were rumors--- as in nothing usually ends up happening It would suck if the Pixies never try out a new album
Go to Top of Page

Adam
= Cult of Ray =

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  13:39:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why did anyone get their hopes up for a new album? Kim has always stated, as recently as April 2009, that she has no intention of ever recording with FB again. You cannot have the Pixies without Kim. If the Pixies want to put out a box set, let them. It doesn't mean each and everyone of us has to go by it. Look how many times REM has re-released the IRS albums. Bands do this because there is demand for it. Think of them as a small business that is producing or selling a product in demand. For the working adults on this board, this the money maker for them. Would you like to be denied your money making skill because a few people deemed you as a "sell out"?

7/27/99 9:30 Club DC
6/18/00 Fletcher's Baltimore
8/14/06 Chameleon Club Lancaster, PA
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  13:58:01  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Adam - The Pixies won't be making much money from the Minotaur reissue of their albums. They make their money from concert tours. If they had any credibility, they would either release a new album and tour it, or would wait 10 years before playing some more shows. They really have hit a new low with this one. Fuck, even the Beatles managed to release (decent) new material even though one member was dead. With all for Pixies living and active, it cannot be that hard to make the transition from the rehersal room and into the studio. Even if the album sux, at least they tried. I really hope BF and band read this and realise what fucking sellouts they have become. The goodwill of the reunion is totally dead and buried now. Fuckers.
Go to Top of Page

MissMaceo
= Cult of Ray =

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  19:40:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
adam speaks the truth

we're suckers

it happens

oh well
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  01:01:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First saw them 1988. A longtime Pixies fan. Minotaur itself doesn't offend me though granted it's a PR disaster to us. But if they wanna tour why insult them? The number of people who haven't heard Pixies live or at all far outnumbers those who have. So why deny them the chance to experience what we've already enjoyed. Some of those new fans will eventually log on here. Is that a bad thing?.

Sunnier than Daisy. Now that's special!

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  01:05:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I doubt the band had any input in this release, to be honest. It's embarassing.
Go to Top of Page

ChickenOfDepression
- FB Fan -

6 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  01:05:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Helmut, I'm sorry I have to be the one to inform you of this, but... you're a moron. Not just because of your inability to spell the word 'charade' either. What's wrong with another Pixies tour? How are they ripping off Pixies fans? If people want to see them on tour, they will. If they don't, they won't. Are you too stupid to make this decision for yourself? "I think the Pixies are total sell-outs and they're just ripping off their fans... but I'll take 4 tickets and a 2009 reunion tour t-shirt, please." Idiot.

My girlfriend has only been a Pixies fan for the past year, and it's great that she'll have a chance to see them now. I would love to see them again. I actually hope they don't do the "right thing" and "RECORDING A NEW ALBUM."

Edited by - ChickenOfDepression on 04/22/2009 01:06:37
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  01:10:35  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

do you know who's responsible for that facebook page?
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  04:46:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Booking agent, maybe?

Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  05:03:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

I don't know how things work, but it's a screwed up system if they don't have any input on the release of their material.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  06:38:31  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It would be nice if one of the members would say something on the matter, clear up all the confusion that seems to yet again surround them as to whether or not a new album is on the cards. It's not as though it would be hard for them to do.

It's a shame that Minotaur isn't a new album because I think it's a brilliant album title, it just felt so right when the A+R- page got "leaked".

In a way though, I breathed a short sigh of relief when I learned it was only a box set. When I thought there was a new album imminent from them I started to feel slightly anxious, What if it's shit? What if it's slightly disappointing? Could I live with that?

-cult-of-ray-wassabee-
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000