happy that it is not a new album !

I said Pretty Please !
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  08:35:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It just seems like someone has decided to choose a 'Pixies like' name for the collection, like when that Smiths Best Of came out and someone at the label decided to put a picture of Charles Hawtrey on the cover.
Go to Top of Page

the acorahs
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  09:40:07  Show Profile  Visit the acorahs's Homepage  Click to see the acorahs's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adam

Why did anyone get their hopes up for a new album? Kim has always stated, as recently as April 2009, that she has no intention of ever recording with FB again. You cannot have the Pixies without Kim. If the Pixies want to put out a box set, let them. It doesn't mean each and everyone of us has to go by it. Look how many times REM has re-released the IRS albums. Bands do this because there is demand for it. Think of them as a small business that is producing or selling a product in demand. For the working adults on this board, this the money maker for them. Would you like to be denied your money making skill because a few people deemed you as a "sell out"?

7/27/99 9:30 Club DC
6/18/00 Fletcher's Baltimore
8/14/06 Chameleon Club Lancaster, PA

I think most normal people wouldn't be too annoyed with pixies earning a buck or two, but speaking for myself it is they way they have gone about it in this case. I am glad that there is no new album, kim never seemed keen on the idea, so it would have been a little forced. However, they released bam thowk which was a nice throw away tune for us to all masturbate furiously to, but now, they are essentially giving us the same shit in a different bag. Sure it is pretty wonderful shit. But it is just a different bag. And that is disappointing, especially the way the whole thing was pimped via failbook.

Why not just throw us a cover again, like ain't that pretty at all. Or a sexy little E.P where Frank writes one, Joe writes one, Kim writes one and Dave writes one. That would be nice. And call it Minotaur. And get some guy to take purdy pictures of NAILS in WOOD, and SCARY DOLLS, and all kinds of DARK MEAN AND MOODY THINGS.

----------------------------------------
it is a wretched life and vanity is repulsive

www.myspace.com/thesexymistakes

Edited by - the acorahs on 04/22/2009 12:16:11
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
413 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  14:17:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This whole thing seems to have been blown out of all proportion by a minority who have an inclination to overreact. The facts of the situation are that this was just a message posted on a facebook page. As far as I'm aware this probably is about the most exciting news that's going to be announced through that website. No misleading facts were released on there and nobody was building up hype anywhere else in the media. Some fans got excited about new material despite everything that Kim has said, even very recently, to the contrary and inevitably they got disappointed. End of story. I'm not saying it's wrong to get excited about the possibility of them recording again - I know there was a small part of me that got excited when the A+R Minotaur page appeared but if you were led down the path of thinking there was a new album then you went down that path pretty willingly and surely can't get too upset about it.

If they were the kind of band that pandered to every desire of their fans then I'm sure they wouldn't be a group that would hold any interest for me. If Frank Black made music depending on my every whim I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be very many other fans hanging around this forum.

Like a lot of people here, I feel indebted to the four of them for every note they ever played and I'm not about to expect anything else is owed to me just because I'm a fan.
Go to Top of Page

Helmut
= Cult of Ray =

315 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  15:36:09  Show Profile  Click to see Helmut's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The Pixies continue to play live as it is a cash cow, and they are now a brand instead of a band. It basically comes down to Kim's lazyness regarding recording new material - the other three are happy to record, but Kim is a washed up ex-junkie who can hardly string a sentance together (I know, I tried speaking to her recently). Although she is happy to keep milking the band of money by continuing this lame reunion.
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  17:24:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The Pixies continue to play live as it is a cash cow, and they are now a brand instead of a band. It basically comes down to Kim's lazyness regarding recording new material - the other three are happy to record, but Kim is a washed up ex-junkie who can hardly string a sentance together (I know, I tried speaking to her recently). Although she is happy to keep milking the band of money by continuing this lame reunion.

The other 3 seem happy to do it as well.

Wait, milking the band? Wouldn't that mean they're milking themselves? I think in your rants you want milking the fans.

And crap they aren't even a band anymore (see your first line), so in the very least it should be "milking the brand".

So, in summary in future rants please use, "they should stop milking us poor innocent fans who deserve so much better". Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

badronald
- FB Fan -

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  18:19:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its as if Gene Simmons is managing the band.
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  19:15:26  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mooo
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1035 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  19:53:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I care only enough to post how much I don't care.

I understand (to a degree) the sense of frustration and in some cases, (maybe one) fury though I don't share it. I believe they definitely need to have setlists that favor Trompe and Bossa (and b-sides) over Doolittle for any upcoming shows. For the most part, I'm okay with them touring as it'll (hopefully) give people who couldn't see them another chance to. I'm fine without a new album because so much time has passed, it seems like if Frank goes back to Pixies-style songwriting it may be forced and not work and if he continues on with his evolution (something of a cross between Show Me Your Tears and Bluefinger) it'll sound so dissimilar to the other albums that'll it be considered a failure.

I confess to being somewhat curious to hear a new album. Would it be incredibly experimental? Would it be similar to Bam Thwock!? Would it trump the odds and stand shoulder to shoulder with the other albums? This last seems the most doubtful. Yet what if it did? It seems unlikely will ever know what a new Pixies album would be like in this universe. And I'm fine with that.

Regardless of box sets and reunion tours, their albums (and concerts) remain, inviolate.
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  21:41:55  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ask away!! I am...here!

bf

1am april 23 2009
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  21:44:21  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am here in the he Pixies are fckn Sellouts forum 1am apr 23
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  21:49:08  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
frank,
are there going to by any bonus tracks on this release?
also, will the brixton dvd be sold seperately?

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  21:51:13  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benji

frank,
are there going to by any bonus tracks on this release?
also, will the brixton dvd be sold seperately?

I'd have to check, but I am assuming not as I don't think any bonus tracks exist..well, if they do they are lost.
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  21:54:11  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
any hints as to the setlists for the upcoming shows?
will they be similar to previous tours?

Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  21:54:49  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
catholics boxset.....
dream or reality?

Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  21:56:01  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
damn, i'm monopolising the q's...
what is the level of 4AD involvement in minotaur?
any?

Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  21:59:11  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

catholics boxset.....
dream or reality?

a reality. I don't know when. The artwork has been started. SInce SPinArt went out of business we have been working on getting all the various licenses for the records on the same page. Boring stuff. But something you do especially if there is no rush. It will be all the studio records retailing at 5000 USD. Ha ha.

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  22:01:49  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Dear blckfrncs
Is there any aspect of the Pixies in 2009 that's worth discussing here?
Minotaur, new tour, it's all exciting on some level, but we are spoiled fans and always want new
Charles Thompson-material like we need daily bread. Shouldn't we rather be talking about Der Golem, Grand Duchy tour or your new secret project (spill the beans if you want)?

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  22:02:36  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
any plans on doing francis/black/catholics/pixies tunes on the grand duchy tour?

Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  22:07:36  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

damn, i'm monopolising the q's...
what is the level of 4AD involvement in minotaur?
any?

I don't think you are hogging the mic. I think it;s only you n me.

Well. 4AD is the record label that owns most of the pixies recordings. It's kinda typical. A label has some catalog that has some cache and one day they put it into a box set. If there was a lot of alternative material I can assure you it would have been included, but the band pretty much released what was recorded. Fortunately, 4AD has a thing for graphics and packaging and so I would think that the box set at least has some interest for V23 fans. I know I have some original Larbastier photos from the original records up on my walls.
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  22:10:11  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had thought that Doolittle demos were going to be included. I know that the label has these and have considered releasing them in some kind of package.
Go to Top of Page

Gino
- FB Fan -

10 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  22:17:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could you please enlighten us a little about the real reasons for no new recording with the Pixies?
Lack of desire or something else?
Any chance to see you in France this summer?
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3423 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  22:20:13  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it's an old question, but why was the death to the pixies live disc edited so much?
were you not happy with all the tracks? did the band have much input into it?
the entire pro-shot video has recently surfaced (http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4843214) which shows the entire epic 35 tracks you guys played that night.
it'd have been great to see that in it's entirety released...

Go to Top of Page

- FB Fan -

Brazil
11 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  22:26:55  Show Profile  Visit 286's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Any chance of you playing in Brazil again? With any of your acts?
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  22:30:46  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gino

Could you please enlighten us a little about the real reasons for no new recording with the Pixies?
Lack of desire or something else?
Any chance to see you in France this summer?

I'm not so sure. Perhaps it is a big step to get back into that headspace. I was pushing for it initially but I empathize with those against it. It still gets discussed in he abstract. I'm not trying to get anyone excited. Really. I have learned to never say never. But then again...

We will not be in France this summer as far as I know. But I have heard talk of something later in the year.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  22:33:38  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow this must be the first actually useful piece of information ever gained from twitter!

Thanks for joining the debate Cha, we need your input on the matter.

I take it there really is never ever going to be any new Pixies material then?

Oh yeah, and play some more dates in Scotland, as the Pixies. I'm sure I could get you guys a gig at my local, if you are interested. I can't do that for every band mind, they are very exclusive about who plays there.

-cult-of-ray-wassabee-

Edited by - pot on 04/22/2009 22:37:42
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  22:35:02  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

it's an old question, but why was the death to the pixies live disc edited so much?
were you not happy with all the tracks? did the band have much input into it?
the entire pro-shot video has recently surfaced (http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4843214) which shows the entire epic 35 tracks you guys played that night.
it'd have been great to see that in it's entirety released...

Well. I can't remember what exactly happened now, but I can say in general that when you put out too little people say "it's not enough" and when you you put out a lot some say "it's too much". This is not a criticism of your feelings on the matter, it's just that there is never a consensus.
Go to Top of Page

Gino
- FB Fan -

10 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  22:35:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you listen to the last Breeders record?
If so, what did you think of it?
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  22:37:02  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Wow this must be the first actually useful piece of information ever gained from twitter!

Thanks for joining the debate Cha, we need your input on the matter.

I take it there really is never ever going to be any new Pixies material then?

Oh yeah, and play some more dates in Scotland, as the Pixies. I'm sure I could get you guys a gig at my local, if you are interested. I can't do that for everyone band mind, they are very exclusive about who plays there.

-cult-of-ray-wassabee-

oo i love the scotland

Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  22:40:31  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How big is this latest Pixies outing?

If there is nothing you can do, or not do without criticism,
what do you do? Hypothetically.
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  22:41:03  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 286

Any chance of you playing in Brazil again? With any of your acts?

Hmmm...we only played Brazil once. But we did have some trouble with the police. SO I think we would have to see what the gig was. No offense to Brazil. I loved being there.
Go to Top of Page

The_Eugene
- FB Fan -

Australia
8 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  22:41:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about your new band (GD) supporting your old band (P) on an Australian tour? Would be good for me!
Go to Top of Page

The_Eugene
- FB Fan -

Australia
8 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  22:44:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh and why are you not following me (LazyFig) on Twitter?
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  22:44:48  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammerhands

How big is this latest Pixies outing?

If there is nothing you can do, or not do without criticism,
what do you do? Hypothetically.

I am not sure how many dates we are doing this year.

re: criticism. I accept it. It's part of being an artist. It's part of being in show business.
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  22:46:17  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The_Eugene

Oh and why are you not following me (LazyFig) on Twitter?

Ha! I am so sorry LazyFIg. I dropped a bottle of wine right on the laptop right when I was about to click to follow you!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000