-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 The Pixies are fckn Sellouts..

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Helmut Posted - 04/21/2009 : 04:15:57
Seriously, the "Minotaur" boxset of old albums and ANOTHER friggen reunion tour in 2009 is a joke. With no new material to plug, the Pixies are just taking the piss and taking money off fans so they can play the same old setlist AGAIN. They have it in them to write some decent new material, but as a band they have become irrelevant. PLEASE GIVE UP THIS SERADE WHILE YOU STILL HAVE SOME CREDIBILITY, OR DO THE RIGHT THING AND RECORDING A NEW ALBUM.
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jason Posted - 05/13/2009 : 13:55:20
The Minotaur was a favorite image of some surrealist artists in the 30s and 40s. Man Ray's Minotaur photo is an explicit reference, but other artists did work that contained subtle allusions to the image of a minotaur, often in the form of a human figure with two arms raised and bent slightly at the elbow (because it looks like horns).
Levitated Posted - 04/25/2009 : 13:48:13
quote:
Originally posted by ijdnwtdwm

quote:
Originally posted by blckfrncs

quote:
Originally posted by Helmut

next morning...Sorry I dropped out last night. My connection got very slow for some reason.

Anyhow, these are all legitimate comments. And if you are a frustrated fan you can imagine how frustrating it can be to BE in a band. But I suppose these are GOOD problems. As far as playing live is concerned, well, firstly, there IS demand for the live show or we wouldn't be touring. As a mater of fact, I can say that the band and it's reps have not even solicited the shows we are doing at the moment; they called us. Secondly, as a music artist, it is your hard earned right to appear in the market place. We got into this this all on our own, it was not easy, and as most musicians know, for every high paying gig you play there are MANY non paying gigs (IN THE RED GIGS!) in your past AND future.

What seems obvious to an outsider is truthfully much different and more complicated from where I sit. But that's ok. I speculate about others, too. It's fun. It's human to speculate.

I would love to make some comments about the 4AD box set, but the little people are calling...

BF

BF,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I see it from your perspective, and am totally grateful that the Pixies continue to perform, and that you as a solo artist or a Catholic continue to release great music year in and year out. I just feel that the Bam Thwok teaser single and the live shows demonstrate you have it in you to release some relevant (possibly great, possibly just ok) music. You guys are at the top of your game at the moment, I feel now is the time to cash in on that to put out an EP or album of new material. There is a certain magic of the 4 of you playing together that cannot be recreated in any of you or the other Pixies solo output (despite much of it being top notch). Anyway, keep up the good work - its like the Pixies are climbing a mountain and some new music (bad or good) would be the summit.

H

I agree with you 100 per cent.

BF

Black Francis...
please, please, please come to Chile!!!
since 2004 you just played once in Brazil... no Argentina, no Colombia... and no Chile!!!

there are many Pixies fans down here!

please make my dream come true!
I NEED to see The Pixies live at least once before i die!

:D
Jose Jones Posted - 04/25/2009 : 06:03:50
BF,

how about regularly releasing your work on vinyl? it's the future!

and $475 or whatever for 5 albums (minotaur)? that's almost a hundred bones an album! crazy.

keep on keepin' on.

-----------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
ijdnwtdwm Posted - 04/24/2009 : 13:11:09
quote:
Originally posted by blckfrncs

quote:

next morning...Sorry I dropped out last night. My connection got very slow for some reason.

Anyhow, these are all legitimate comments. And if you are a frustrated fan you can imagine how frustrating it can be to BE in a band. But I suppose these are GOOD problems. As far as playing live is concerned, well, firstly, there IS demand for the live show or we wouldn't be touring. As a mater of fact, I can say that the band and it's reps have not even solicited the shows we are doing at the moment; they called us. Secondly, as a music artist, it is your hard earned right to appear in the market place. We got into this this all on our own, it was not easy, and as most musicians know, for every high paying gig you play there are MANY non paying gigs (IN THE RED GIGS!) in your past AND future.

What seems obvious to an outsider is truthfully much different and more complicated from where I sit. But that's ok. I speculate about others, too. It's fun. It's human to speculate.

I would love to make some comments about the 4AD box set, but the little people are calling...

BF

BF,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I see it from your perspective, and am totally grateful that the Pixies continue to perform, and that you as a solo artist or a Catholic continue to release great music year in and year out. I just feel that the Bam Thwok teaser single and the live shows demonstrate you have it in you to release some relevant (possibly great, possibly just ok) music. You guys are at the top of your game at the moment, I feel now is the time to cash in on that to put out an EP or album of new material. There is a certain magic of the 4 of you playing together that cannot be recreated in any of you or the other Pixies solo output (despite much of it being top notch). Anyway, keep up the good work - its like the Pixies are climbing a mountain and some new music (bad or good) would be the summit.

H

BF

Black Francis...
please, please, please come to Chile!!!
since 2004 you just played once in Brazil... no Argentina, no Colombia... and no Chile!!!

there are many Pixies fans down here!

please make my dream come true!
I NEED to see The Pixies live at least once before i die!
Daisy Girl Posted - 04/24/2009 : 13:07:24
Here's a little secret: I am a fckn sellout

Thanks for stopping by again BF. Hi Lex.
Carl Posted - 04/24/2009 : 11:50:01
Grand Duchy, The Catholics, The Breeders, The Martinis, The Unholy Three and Everybody are also fckn sellouts.

Oh, and The Kelley Deal 6000.
Lex Posted - 04/24/2009 : 02:26:41
Well my Friday has just got that little bit better after reading enjoying this thread.

Great to have you dropping in on us again Charles, all I can say is just keep on keeping on.

PS One question for you Charles (fingers crossed and hoping) would you normally do a warm up gig, for say a BIG SHOW, for example the Isle of Wight show? and if you did one, would it be in London.........not that I live in London or anything!!!! (Ok I do live in London :-)

PPS Hi Daisy Girl
Ziggy Posted - 04/23/2009 : 21:16:53
On a more light hearted note... BF, Vox or Marshall amps for you on the upcoming tour?
Skatealex1 Posted - 04/23/2009 : 20:57:55
this new album build up makes me crazy in a way! I am so hyped on the idea of a new album. I still have faith that it may happen over the next year or two. I'll give up hope in two years if they don't do it. THere's something about the Pixies- I was drunk and high with a bunch of people tonight and everyone was rocking out to Bossonova, it was sick-------
blckfrncs Posted - 04/23/2009 : 19:40:56
quote:

BF

BF,

H

BF
danjersey Posted - 04/23/2009 : 16:19:21
ok. well, goodnight.
Daisy Girl Posted - 04/23/2009 : 16:15:36
haha, for some reason I thought the 654 might have some kind of significance. hope you have a good nite :)
danjersey Posted - 04/23/2009 : 16:12:59
654 means I"M KIDDING! JOKING! FUNNY ha ha...
forget this.

"I am here in the he Pixies are fckn Sellouts forum 1am apr 23"
blckfrncs
Daisy Girl Posted - 04/23/2009 : 16:03:50
Dan654, what's the 654 for? I am sorry too, I deserve missing out on it though, I sucked. But now I have seen the light and want to be saved by the Catholics! What shows did you see? Things are ok here... boss keeps me busy but I can't complain. Spring is in the air and I am hyper.

Haha, moonruler ... I can't believe I said the a-hole
danjersey Posted - 04/23/2009 : 15:58:22
I'll probably drop the jersey and use Dan654 or something cool like that. how are you? sorry to hear you missed the Catholics.
moonruler Posted - 04/23/2009 : 15:55:58
quote:
Originally posted by moonruler

quote:
Originally posted by danjersey

what? we can't be facetious here?

blckfrncs

sure, but do we need to be assholes?

or should i just wait for the replies to filter through?
moonruler Posted - 04/23/2009 : 15:54:09
quote:
Originally posted by danjersey

blckfrncs

sure, but do we need to be assholes?
Daisy Girl Posted - 04/23/2009 : 15:52:53
no, not at all.... hey you're giving me new ideas for my forum name if/when we get new ones! how goes it Dan J?
danjersey Posted - 04/23/2009 : 15:49:46

blckfrncs
Daisy Girl Posted - 04/23/2009 : 15:41:49
danjersey Posted - 04/23/2009 : 15:37:31
Daisy Girl, your words become more vicious with each post. You should seriously consider changing your profile image to something a little more appropriate. Like knife wielding scorpions.

blckfrncs
Daisy Girl Posted - 04/23/2009 : 15:14:26
Hi Charles, thanks for swinging by. I can't think of any other musician that would give a damn enough to stop by and say hi to the fans. It is much appreciated. I really want to thank you for doing that and of course as always the awesome tunes. It's amazing how you always can put out such innovative, refreshing and thoughtful music ALL THE TIME!! I also really dug your paintings that were shown during the latest video blog.

Anyway, a few things are on my mind... any chance the Twin Cities might be in your touring plans? (I know you can't go everywhere, but I have to put in a plug.) I would come to see you guys in Chi, but I think like just about everyone the money is a little tight. Also, what was the thinking behind the latest press release? I understand if you don't want to go there though.

Please tell your wonderful, beautiful and talented wife hi. I am really hoping that it works out to see you guys play as Grand Duchy (or in what ever incarnation it may be ).

Thanks, Kathleen
Helmut Posted - 04/23/2009 : 15:08:29

BF

BF,

H
Skatealex1 Posted - 04/23/2009 : 11:08:43
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

You know what I like this Black Francis guy.

$5000 Catholics box set... I'd buy it. All I need is a good way to explain this to my wife. But seriously, I'd buy it.

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."

I would pay that much if included free live Black Francis shows for life
rodney Posted - 04/23/2009 : 10:24:34
I totally understand the frustration, as I too question the validity of this new release.

Calling Kim names is lame though. She's a really nice person.
vilainde Posted - 04/23/2009 : 10:21:57
You know what I like this Black Francis guy.

$5000 Catholics box set... I'd buy it. All I need is a good way to explain this to my wife. But seriously, I'd buy it.

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
Skatealex1 Posted - 04/23/2009 : 09:32:56
If the Pixies are going to be touring more is there any chance you guys can do some show's in NY? I had an incredible time when the Pixies were in NY on the reunion tour---never been around a more fun crowd in my life!!

Also if you guys aren't going to be making new music which makes me :( , than I think you (Pixies) should play more songs from Bossanova and Trompe Le Monde! I would love to hear songs like Motorway To Roswell and Hangwire live, That would make my day!!
ccuadros Posted - 04/23/2009 : 09:22:51
Any date in South America?
Ernesto Posted - 04/23/2009 : 07:11:58
When will the tour dates be revealed Charles ?
Carl Posted - 04/23/2009 : 06:03:36
Kim's constant resistance to a new album is a bit frustrating sometimes, but maybe a new album wouldn't be such a good idea after all. We still have five classics to enjoy. Maybe we don't need a new one, especially if it's a forced effort.
trobrianders Posted - 04/23/2009 : 05:51:53
Hi Charles, anything new on Red Letter Days?

blckfrncs Posted - 04/23/2009 : 05:42:35

BF
pot Posted - 04/23/2009 : 03:54:13
quote:

Black Francis, I am the cyncial fan who called you fucking sellouts for continuing to cash in on the legacy of the great work you did in the past by continuing this "reunion" tour, and for misleading fans that Minotaur was a new album. I am probably hated for my views and opinions, but I don't know why you don't record new material, particularly if you continue this "reunion" tour. Bam Thwok was a good song. Your last two albums have been very Pixieish. Eighty percent of your solo output has been great, with some bordering on genius - you have it in you to release something worthwhile and add to the legacy rather than tarnish it. You guys are your own worst enemies, you continue to tour as a unit, yet cannot get in the right "head space" to record new music. I say do it, release it, cop whatever fan backlash there is and keep on touring. I realise Kim is a blocker, but, hello, you are all grown adults. Learn to compromise. Everyone else does in their daily jobs, I don't see why you cannot. You are like the genius kid at school who down plays his talents so he can be like everyone else. But you have a gift that noone else has, and a band that can channel this gift. Stand up, be the leader you are, whip the band into shape, and either put some new music out or stop the "reunion" tour before you "tarnish the legacy".

I sort of agree in a way that this tour is a little bit pointless if there's still no new material. But who knows maybe they'll do some new versions of songs, and play a few tracks they seemed to miss altogether last time.

At the end of the day though, if Kim doesn't want to do it there's not a lot the remaining three members of the band can do about it. Whether or not you or I think that she is being a bit stubborn, wasting an opportunity or whatever, if it don't feel right for her then it's probably best that they don't try and force an album out of her.

The first 4 albums were epic and following that legacy would probably be one of the most difficult thing for any band to have to do.

It's they who have to write the album, and that can't be easy. You have to respect what they, the artists, feel creatively inspired to do.

New album or no new album, whether they play mostly early stuff again or not, I will still be very grateful for an opportunity to see them play live again.

-cult-of-ray-wassabee-
1965 Posted - 04/23/2009 : 03:21:19
quote:
Originally posted by The_Eugene

Oh, I actually thought of an interesting question... Have you got any plans to display your art-work anywhere?

Not sure about displaying? But you can buy them here:

http://www.blackfrancis.net/webstore/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66

I have the key to #902
Helmut Posted - 04/23/2009 : 03:02:21
Black Francis, I am the cyncial fan who called you fucking sellouts for continuing to cash in on the legacy of the great work you did in the past by continuing this "reunion" tour, and for misleading fans that Minotaur was a new album. I am probably hated for my views and opinions, but I don't know why you don't record new material, particularly if you continue this "reunion" tour. Bam Thwok was a good song. Your last two albums have been very Pixieish. Eighty percent of your solo output has been great, with some bordering on genius - you have it in you to release something worthwhile and add to the legacy rather than tarnish it. You guys are your own worst enemies, you continue to tour as a unit, yet cannot get in the right "head space" to record new music. I say do it, release it, cop whatever fan backlash there is and keep on touring. I realise Kim is a blocker, but, hello, you are all grown adults. Learn to compromise. Everyone else does in their daily jobs, I don't see why you cannot. You are like the genius kid at school who down plays his talents so he can be like everyone else. But you have a gift that noone else has, and a band that can channel this gift. Stand up, be the leader you are, whip the band into shape, and either put some new music out or stop the "reunion" tour before you "tarnish the legacy".

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000