Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 25

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  12:25:51  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

quote:
Originally posted by joe FITZ of molly BANG

quote:
Originally posted by Sam

Hi Brian - i agree, that is a real shame. From the Golem podcast that played the San Fran live score extracts, the band sounded like it had a really nice vibe to it. Obviously Duane's guitar was excellent on FMRM. I also like the Honeycomb B sides which i beleive he played on. they had a lovely guitar tone. RIP DJ.

On a side note Brian - presumably you have heard the Golem and all its tracks. How would you rate it alongside Bluefinger / SVNFNGRS.
From what i can hear from the bad news and custom all the way it has a more rootsy feel, not as abrasive as the two BF records. It seems to be a cleaner sound. What is your opinion on it having had a few listens (presumably).

where does one get the honeycomb bsides

They weren't really b-sides, they were tracks that leaked with the record a good 6-8 months before the album was released.

don't forget about the cover of donovan's atlantis (with al franken!)

was that a japanese bonus track or something?

-=Apesy
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  12:38:35  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Apesy

quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Sam

Hi Brian - i agree, that is a real shame. From the Golem podcast that played the San Fran live score extracts, the band sounded like it had a really nice vibe to it. Obviously Duane's guitar was excellent on FMRM. I also like the Honeycomb B sides which i beleive he played on. they had a lovely guitar tone. RIP DJ.

On a side note Brian - presumably you have heard the Golem and all its tracks. How would you rate it alongside Bluefinger / SVNFNGRS.
From what i can hear from the bad news and custom all the way it has a more rootsy feel, not as abrasive as the two BF records. It seems to be a cleaner sound. What is your opinion on it having had a few listens (presumably).

They weren't really b-sides, they were tracks that leaked with the record a good 6-8 months before the album was released.

-=Apesy

That was a Japanese bonus track.

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

Czar
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
321 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  17:27:21  Show Profile  Visit Czar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gee, still no sign of the Golem in Montreal, CANADA. I mean, CANADA, not KAMTCHATKA.

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  19:15:10  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Desperately hoping for the most uncommon Friday mail.
Nothing ever comes on Friday up here in Manitoba.
Fu, did you get one?
Go to Top of Page

Don Eduardo
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
403 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  21:38:34  Show Profile  Click to see Don Eduardo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The Golem has arrived in Australia! Does anyone remember the video blog where Frank signed the wrong number and had to scratch it out and write another number and also added an "oops" ? Think he said "this'll be a special one haha"

Yep
Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  22:33:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
N° 290
Watched the movie yesterday. great.

Go to Top of Page

misterwoe
= Cult of Ray =

Greece
675 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  23:24:40  Show Profile  Visit misterwoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
#268 arrived at my house in Greece this morning!

The booklet is in good shape and was well-protected in its package. Just finished giving the studio discs a listen. WOW!

While Black Francis was chanting screaming THE WORD I couldn't help but think--and not for the first time--why do people keep bitching about a new Pixies release when the man continues to produce quality material?

I hope The Pixies never do another album! I was a Frank Black fan first (TOTY) and that's how it's always going to be! YEAH!!!

------------------------------------------------
eyes burning
Go to Top of Page

misterwoe
= Cult of Ray =

Greece
675 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  23:26:08  Show Profile  Visit misterwoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
By the way, Duane Jarvis's guitar work on here is stellar. RIP.

------------------------------------------------
eyes burning
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  01:46:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Sam

-=Apesy

i saw this on e-bay. can someone sendspace that song. i don't gots it.

please,

The waxworks were an immensely eloquent dissertation on the wonderful ordinariness of mankind.
Go to Top of Page

cargro
- FB Fan -

21 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  01:47:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Golem #240 reached Duesseldorf / Germany. A perfect beginning for this weekend! Hope for the rest of you that you'll get your copy soon!
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  01:47:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and i <3 DJ

The waxworks were an immensely eloquent dissertation on the wonderful ordinariness of mankind.
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  05:17:51  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FrequencyOfGlow

Just came in the mail. I don't know how I got it into my head that the book itself would be huge. I was expecting a much larger package. #73 of 500.

Now to wait until after work is done to embark on my BF/FB first-listening ritual. Phones off. Herbs. Enjoyment!

that's what she said.
Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  05:35:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally I got it!!

Is weird, I bought in February 12th and i got the copy #469

But I´m very happy anyways!

Salu2
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  07:23:39  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

Is it too early to start reviewing this piece of music?

I've been thinking a lot about FB/BF lately, mostly because it's been so long since SVN FNGRS (even longer since the last proper album) and there was nothing much to keep the train of being a FB-fan rolling. Of course I'm not really complaining, we got spoiled the last decade. I think we've always been spoiled. he's always coming out with great stuff.

Anyhow I like Der Golem, but I can't help thinking this is more of a Catholics record without pedal steel and with horns/flute in return. This is nitpicking but I would have appreciated if this was being released under the Frank Black moniker, it would have made more sense. That being said, an artist flip flopping between Frank Black and Black Francis makes a commercial fool out of himself. Still, in my mind Bluefinger and SVN FNGRS legitimized the name change with their high powered punkrock. You can't deny that Black Francis as a name (brand?) has a Pixies connotation all over it. However, this is the 3rd concept record (Herman Brood, Greek Myth, German Movie) so maybe that's what Black Francis is all about. In the end...what's in a name? I think all of the albums should've been pixies albums.

Is this record a step back? Kind of, I'm hearing stuff I already heard before, it's a typical Frank Black-record. I hear structures and chord changes and even melodies that he used before. so what, no chord progressions are new.
Some portions of Stars or The Obedient Servant sound like little pieces out of Fitzgerald, Don't Cry That Way, Holland Town, When They Come To Murder Me, Do You Feel Bad About It.

Is this bad? Maybe it's just me, but to me this is the first release with this feeling. really? But the songs are still good, the production is fresh and I don't know how Charles Thompson does it, but he hacked my personal life again. I have to listen to it. Despite the feelings expressed above. And that is a sign of great craftmanship.

Hopefully the pixies reunion will soon stop and we can have more of these treats. And more important a new FB/FB every year, like he used to.I concur :)

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?

Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  07:25:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Der Golem #89 (my birth year!) arrived in Wigan today! Only the slightest of creases to the front cover, nothing major. Oh and two 'studio disc 1' covers. All discs are correct though, which is pretty much all that matters to me. Can't wait to watch this!

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  08:35:48  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by emptyreality

quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

quote:
Originally posted by BLT

Mine has a good defect -- double autograph pages and two numbers. Apologies to whoever got #15 without a signature. I didn't do it.

Must have worn out by 405, my signature is nowhere near as elaborate as yours lol

I love this part... Yeah, we did it!

i wonder if he signed them all in one sitting?

i wonder what he was doing while he signed them. maybe watching a movie.
Go to Top of Page

MMD
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
233 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  09:23:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shineoftheever

quote:

quote:

[quote]Originally posted by joe FITZ of molly BANG

-=Apesy

i saw this on e-bay. can someone sendspace that song. i don't gots it.

please,

Since I recently bought the Japanese versions of Honeycomb & Fast Man Raider Man from ebay here are the bonus tracks from both. Atlantis & I Don't Live Here Anymore: http://www.sendspace.com/file/pibbtq

If this isn't ok to share here I will take down the link.

Enjoy.

Edited by - MMD on 03/05/2010 09:24:30
Go to Top of Page

Idalgo Clandestino
- FB Fan -

Yugoslavia
104 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  09:36:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you

you probably thought i'm a shy guy
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  10:03:33  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

I've had the Word stuck in my head today, great song.
I'm really liking the golem so far, even though all i've had to go by is the youtube clips since i can't afford the boxset.
Anyone else have the feeling that this could be a classic like Frank Black, Teenager of the Year, Dog in the Sand, and Bluefinger? Or if not a classic, in the really solid territory of Black Letter Days, or Show Me Your Tears?

I'm having a real crisis over whether to get the boxset, its just 100 dollars canadian plus shipping is so much for a student...

BLD and SMYT are both classics!!
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  10:09:11  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Somnambulist

I think we ought to make an effort to account for every copy. There are so few of these it would be easy to have a locked thread with a short profile of each owner and their number. That way, years from now, when I say something asinine you can say "that's just ol' 49. He's a real asshole."

btw, I have one of the rare, non-defective copies.

Are you going down where the ballyhoos and tritons are?

haha
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  10:48:38  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blckfrncs

quote:
Originally posted by tomwhite

Received mine today, its been ruined in the post though, front cover barely attached its been so badly knocked about. Why ship such a fragile and bespoke product in a jiffy bag? Gutted.

Please contact The Bureau and you will be sorted...

that's awesome. heh. i'll take the broken one.

Edited by - joe FITZ of molly BANG on 03/05/2010 10:50:59
Go to Top of Page

debaser
- FB Fan -

France
120 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  22:51:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Somnambulist

I think we ought to make an effort to account for every copy. There are so few of these it would be easy to have a locked thread with a short profile of each owner and their number. That way, years from now, when I say something asinine you can say "that's just ol' 49. He's a real asshole."

btw, I have one of the rare, non-defective copies.

#12 trapperj (USA)
#13 BLT (South Sandwich Islands) http://i45.tinypic.com/51aw3q.jpg
#15 coastline (USA) : http://api.photoshop.com/home_d170b49c7e4941c0a4a1530d4c3cd97c/adobe-px-assets/d77d7a317a754c3592ef71478f705c3e
#18 pinballguy (???) : http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4018/4392257903_98ae8673e4_o.jpg
#49 Somnambulist (USA)
#73 FrequencyOfGlow (USA)
#76 badronald (USA)
#89 pixiestu (United Kingdom)
#174 or #179 Ernesto (Netherlands)
#201 1965 (Australia)
#206 Jose Jones (USA)
#209 Mac E. Doobage (USA)
#222 velvety (Portugal)
#230 coastline's dad (USA)
#240 cargro (Germany)
#264 stoffaboy (United Kingdom)
#268 misterwoe (Greece)
#284 debaser (France) http://img111.yfrog.com/img111/1143/3heb.jpg
#290 remig (France)
#368 Discoking (Belgium) http://users.telenet.be/crush/images/golem.jpg
#388 shineoftheever (Turkey)
#391 Back to Sane (USA)
#399 TRANSMARINE (USA)
#405 or #409 johnnyribcage (USA) http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i118/johnnyribcage/IMG_3547-1.jpg
#469 ccuadros (Chile) http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/8898/26144346512981380649166.jpg
#481 bodajmac (United Kingdom) http://i50.tinypic.com/alq7gi.jpg
#488 vilainde (Niue)
#490 eroticvultcha (Ireland) http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr157/nirvana-chris/DSC00130.jpg
#497 solofloyd (???)

They tried to give me advice
Down at the record shop
-Frank Black

Edited by - debaser on 03/06/2010 07:58:20
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  22:57:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
222/500 arrived Friday in Portugal. The Post-office made me pay 20€. Fuckers.

But it is here and I am here and this is everything.
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  02:05:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
#209 NYC, NY.

Smackit like Buddy Hacket and or Ted Ligety.
Go to Top of Page

trapperj
- FB Fan -

24 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  03:15:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey debaser add me to that list #12, Chicago, USA
Go to Top of Page

Back to Sane
- FB Fan -

1 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  04:45:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
#391 Columbus, Ohio.
Go to Top of Page

eroticvultcha
- FB Fan -

Ireland
81 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  05:55:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
#490: Dublin, Ireland.

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr157/nirvana-chris/DSC00130.jpg

"I've got my own gas tanks."
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  06:11:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work, debaser. You can also add 230 to the list. I bought it for my dad and had it shipped to Wyoming.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

badronald
- FB Fan -

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  07:41:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Put me down at #76
Go to Top of Page

MMD
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
233 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  09:19:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW my girlfriend has already received her copy #257 in Miami, FL and I just saw some guy on another forum got #354.

Still waiting for mine.

“Not since Orson Welles had one man so many fingers in so many pies, and been the chef as well. And then looked like he went and ate them all. The guy was out of control.”
Go to Top of Page

bernerdawg
- FB Fan -

17 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  10:16:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
#11 - Georgia (U.S.A.)

Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  10:17:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My second copy No.129 was for my friend RB (also Australia) = add to list..

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  17:17:43  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
wow, ordered late tuesday night and received it on friday

faster than amazon

i'm #336

-=Apesy
Go to Top of Page

debaser
- FB Fan -

France
120 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  22:39:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
#1 Schitzophonic (United Kingdom) http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/5245/golemy.jpg
#11 bernerdawg (USA)
#12 trapperj (USA)
#13 BLT (South Sandwich Islands) http://i45.tinypic.com/51aw3q.jpg
#15 coastline (USA) : http://api.photoshop.com/home_d170b49c7e4941c0a4a1530d4c3cd97c/adobe-px-assets/d77d7a317a754c3592ef71478f705c3e
#18 pinballguy (???) : http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4018/4392257903_98ae8673e4_o.jpg
#43 beckett trance (USA)
#49 Somnambulist (USA)
#73 FrequencyOfGlow (USA)
#76 badronald (USA)
#89 pixiestu (United Kingdom) http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j212/_stu_/DSC00334.jpg
#90 Don Eduardo (Australia) http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/5703/75186519.jpg
#92 Czar (Canada)
#129 1965's friend (Australia)
#140 darwin (USA)
#174 or #179 Ernesto (Netherlands)
#201 1965 (Australia) http://i41.tinypic.com/30n7otz.jpg
#206 Jose Jones (USA)
#209 Mac E. Doobage (USA)
#222 velvety (Portugal)
#230 coastline's dad (USA)
#240 cargro (Germany)
#249 trobrianders (Papua New Guinea) http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/4551/dsc00185inv.jpg
#257 MMD's girlfriend (USA)
#264 stoffaboy (United Kingdom)
#268 misterwoe (Greece)
#284 debaser (France) http://img111.yfrog.com/img111/1143/3heb.jpg
#290 remig (France)
#336 Apesy (USA)
#350 or #356 Daisy Girl (USA)
#354 some guy on another forum (???)
#355 surferben (USA) http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae179/bitterslvn/DSCN0103.jpg
#368 Discoking (Belgium) http://users.telenet.be/crush/images/golem.jpg
#388 shineoftheever (Turkey)
#391 Back to Sane (USA)
#399 TRANSMARINE (USA)
#405 johnnyribcage (USA) http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i118/johnnyribcage/IMG_3547-1.jpg
#417 javillanos (Spain) http://i41.tinypic.com/2dtbzax.jpg
#423 Superabounder (USA)
#450 moonruler (USA)
#463 Llamadance (United Kingdom)
#465 Crispy Water (Candada)
#466 the acorahs (United Kingdom) http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/9338/11022007625.jpg
#469 ccuadros (Chile) http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/8898/26144346512981380649166.jpg
#481 bodajmac (United Kingdom) http://i50.tinypic.com/alq7gi.jpg
#483 PaddyTB (Australia)
#488 vilainde (Niue) http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4033/4425000891_e2575583c0.jpg
#490 eroticvultcha (Ireland) http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr157/nirvana-chris/DSC00130.jpg
#497 solofloyd (USA)
#Brian Broken Face (USA) http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y255/BrianVSalvatore/IMG_0194.jpg

They tried to give me advice
Down at the record shop
-Frank Black

Edited by - debaser on 03/13/2010 07:04:37
Go to Top of Page

the acorahs
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  01:34:07  Show Profile  Visit the acorahs's Homepage  Click to see the acorahs's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I am number 466.

Really gutted though, as arrived on my doorstep damaged, with no wax sealed envelope, and with an extra £18 ($27 for our friends across the pond) put on due to VAT and Royal Mail International Handling fee.

The extra money doesn't bother me that much, as sometimes when I have bought things from abroad it happens, and sometimes you can be lucky and not pay.

What does bother me is the shitty condition it arrived in, it is a delicate body of work, and some little jiffy bag would not (and clearly did not) protect it properly. Also what happened to my wax sealed envelope?

Strangely, some of the damage seems to have been half arsed repaired with a piece of cellotape on the inside, whether that was someone in UK customs or from when CD was shipped I do not know.

Honestly, I am gutted, I don't want to sound like a petulant child or anything, but all my (24th) birthday money was spent on it.

----------------------------------------
it is a wretched life and vanity is repulsive

www.myspace.com/thesexymistakes

Edited by - the acorahs on 03/07/2010 01:40:27
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000