Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 25

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  16:25:06  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Arrived this afternoon, my card says #465. About to spend all night enjoying the contents...between this and NSE, I can hardly think of a better month than this one to be a Frank fan!

The book is cool, I really dig the visual "tone" of the whole package and the photography in particular. As several others have noted, I'm so pleased I don't quite know where to start.

Hate to grumble, but I should mention it's a bit surprising something this delicately crafted was shipped in just a folded-over bubble mailer. Mine is not damaged enough to complain over, but sturdier packaging might be something for The Bureau to consider if there's another really special item in the future as I imagine lots of people would balk at anything other than pristine condition...though I guess if it were a widespread issue folks would be complaining around here.

------------------
Nothing is ever something.
Go to Top of Page

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  19:00:43  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i'd worked out my finances enough so that i could swing buying a copy until my next paycheck

(i'd be eating less than usual but whatever)

and just now i go to order the thing, and blackfrancis.net is down

only an hour ago it was up and listing 7 copies left

i'm a bit taken aback and i hope this is temporary...

-=Apesy
Go to Top of Page

badronald
- FB Fan -

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  19:07:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems up right now; someone must have removed the star from the server for a bit.
Go to Top of Page

eroticvultcha
- FB Fan -

Ireland
81 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  03:46:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crispy Water

Hate to grumble, but I should mention it's a bit surprising something this delicately crafted was shipped in just a folded-over bubble mailer. Mine is not damaged enough to complain over, but sturdier packaging might be something for The Bureau to consider if there's another really special item in the future as I imagine lots of people would balk at anything other than pristine condition...though I guess if it were a widespread issue folks would be complaining around here.

Noticed that too. My front cover has 2 very prominent dents in it and the bottom corners are slightly frayed, but what can you expect, I guess, when it has to be shipped halfway across the world.
Go to Top of Page

debaser
- FB Fan -

France
120 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  06:53:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got my Golem today! The package has not been damaged during the trip to France.
Here is a picture of No. 284 / 500

They tried to give me advice
Down at the record shop
-Frank Black
Go to Top of Page

bodajmac
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  10:44:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammerhands

It would be interesting to see the signature
change from 15 to 481.

finally got round to taking a pic of mine so here's #15 and #481 together...

i'd say that writing hand was holding up pretty well
Go to Top of Page

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  14:21:55  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
haha i'm hyperventilating over whether to order or not

money's just so tight right now. but i guess if the regular release to come later this year (ack, no more waiting!) will be truncated i'd be a fool not to order the limited edition. i've seen the movie so many times before, i already own a copy on DVD, so it's the music i'm really after and i don't want to miss out on any of it...

-=Apesy
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  14:59:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was in the same situation but i ended up getting it - even if the standard version is coming out later, it still wont have alot of the tracks, and it wont have the live discs. Plus, the packaging looks really nice. I'd be surprised if they went on the internet, because i imagine when people have payed that much money for music, they want to keep it for themselves, haha.
Go to Top of Page

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  16:56:17  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ORDERED

it'll be okay i'll get used to cups of yogurt for dinner

still, no truncated youtube rips as my only source for the material. i get a wonderful, handmade book. i get frank's personal signature. i get the live discs (which i'll spend several days trying to figure out a tracklisting for, apparently!). i get a new copy of der golem with the man's music instead of the anonymous silent film quartet of my current DVD. and frank and all involved will receive my money -- minus the costs of production -- for all the hard work that went into this project. nahhh, i feel good about this decision. i'll thank myself when that last copy sells. for sure

-=Apesy
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  18:20:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Smart move. The songs are great and when viewed on the right screen the film is quite good. Then, turn up the volume and you've got yourself a whole new experience.

"enki enki in your drinky"

Edited by - danjersey on 03/02/2010 18:41:24
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  18:24:19  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I went ahead and made a track listing for the live discs, I think it's correct:

Edited by - yarbles on 03/02/2010 18:30:27
Go to Top of Page

Ernesto
- FB Fan -

Netherlands
99 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  08:01:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got mine today, i think it's nr. 174 (or 179?)

Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  14:27:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is that a theremin toward the end of Miriam and Florian?

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  14:56:02  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

Is that a theremin toward the end of Miriam and Florian?

I can't tell if it's a theremin or if it's a violin setting on EDF's keyboard that he's just manipulating with a pitch bender.

As I was listening to this song though, I got the weirdest deja-vu feeling... I think I've got it. Sometimes when that high, almost oboe-like sax creeps in the vibe reminds me of early King Crimson, like Pre Larks Tongue era... Lizards, Wake, or Islands.. Actually when that sax creeps in over the acoustics in general it really reminds me of early Crimson... I'd bet that is unintentional, and it may only be me that picks up on it. Either way, I dig it.

Ayerigvlagabriga-Raraaaargh!-Rumbahl-Jumbahl!
Go to Top of Page

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  17:09:33  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
so i bought this last night, at roughly 8 PM oregon time

24 hours later and it still says the order is "pending" under my account info

this happen to anyone else?

-=Apesy
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  17:10:50  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it said pending even after it had arrived at my door. Don't worry about that.
Go to Top of Page

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  17:14:17  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
okay, phew

interesting to note that the maximum order is still 7 (down from 8 a few days ago)

i wonder how many are actually left?

-=Apesy
Go to Top of Page

misterwoe
= Cult of Ray =

Greece
675 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  20:30:56  Show Profile  Visit misterwoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
still awaiting The Golem in Greece! Ordered the first day, so ... hopefully it comes today!

Things are really screwed up here. It would surprise me one bit if I never received The Golem due to some strike or some greedy bastard with sticky fingers.

------------------------------------------------
eyes burning
Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  22:08:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone in the UK got theirs yet, I'm feeling edgy?

Easy Easy Easy!! MicknPhil Marathon Lads Sign this petition
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
411 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  22:22:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still waiting here too Llama. I'm in London.
Go to Top of Page

kelladwella
= Cult of Ray =

Germany
729 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  22:46:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No Golem in Berlin so far.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  23:18:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still waiting here too Llama. I'm in London.

misterwoe
= Cult of Ray =

Greece
675 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  01:52:53  Show Profile  Visit misterwoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
nothing today. *makes fart noises with mouth*

------------------------------------------------
eyes burning
Go to Top of Page

MMD
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
233 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  04:09:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still waiting in the UK here (and I ordered within a few hours of them going on sale), I keep checking the post at work every couple of hours. I wonder what the hold up is as someone in this thread said they received theirs in the UK on the 27th.

“Not since Orson Welles had one man so many fingers in so many pies, and been the chef as well. And then looked like he went and ate them all. The guy was out of control.”
Go to Top of Page

cargro
- FB Fan -

21 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  04:49:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Golem still didn't make his way to Duesseldorf / Germany.
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  07:18:27  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam

Hi Brian - i agree, that is a real shame. From the Golem podcast that played the San Fran live score extracts, the band sounded like it had a really nice vibe to it. Obviously Duane's guitar was excellent on FMRM. I also like the Honeycomb B sides which i beleive he played on. they had a lovely guitar tone. RIP DJ.

On a side note Brian - presumably you have heard the Golem and all its tracks. How would you rate it alongside Bluefinger / SVNFNGRS.
From what i can hear from the bad news and custom all the way it has a more rootsy feel, not as abrasive as the two BF records. It seems to be a cleaner sound. What is your opinion on it having had a few listens (presumably).

where does one get the honeycomb bsides
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  07:39:55  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joe FITZ of molly BANG

quote:
Originally posted by Sam

Hi Brian - i agree, that is a real shame. From the Golem podcast that played the San Fran live score extracts, the band sounded like it had a really nice vibe to it. Obviously Duane's guitar was excellent on FMRM. I also like the Honeycomb B sides which i beleive he played on. they had a lovely guitar tone. RIP DJ.

On a side note Brian - presumably you have heard the Golem and all its tracks. How would you rate it alongside Bluefinger / SVNFNGRS.
From what i can hear from the bad news and custom all the way it has a more rootsy feel, not as abrasive as the two BF records. It seems to be a cleaner sound. What is your opinion on it having had a few listens (presumably).

where does one get the honeycomb bsides

They weren't really b-sides, they were tracks that leaked with the record a good 6-8 months before the album was released.

Most of the tracks he is referring to eventually wound up on FMRM ("Sad Man's Song," "Kiss My Ring," etc). The only one, i think, not to make the release was "All Around the World."

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

joe FITZ of molly BANG
= Cult of Ray =

USA
349 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  07:50:53  Show Profile  Visit joe FITZ of molly BANG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by soundofataris

I know Charles isn't a dancing bear but I kind of want to start a petition to have him give The Cabinet of Doctor Caligari the Der Golem treatment.

---------------------------------------
i try to be mallory but i'm still skippy

that's such a good movie!!
Go to Top of Page

stoffaboy
- FB Fan -

32 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  07:54:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Golem arrived in birmingham UK today, nice package! shame it got absolutely battered in the post - i mean seriously ! just a jiffy bag ? when paying that amount of money ( £50 ) over you'd think they'd package things a bit better! buy any plain old CD of amazon and it gets wrapped up in cardboard! gutted :-(

anyways music is great and mine is no 264 - all pages correct

so i would imagine allother UK buyers should get it soon - hope yours is in better condition than mine.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  08:28:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just noticed this line in You're Gonna Pay: "Your daddy's rich and your mother must have been an electric pretty little city witty sitting hen."

It reminded me of the line from Come On Pilgrim: "Your daddy's rich and your mama's a pretty thing."

And I only now figured out the Pixies song was referring to Gershwin's Summertime: "Your daddy's rich and your mamma's good lookin'."

Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  08:45:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stoffaboy

Golem arrived in birmingham UK today, nice package! shame it got absolutely battered in the post - i mean seriously ! just a jiffy bag ? when paying that amount of money ( £50 ) over you'd think they'd package things a bit better! buy any plain old CD of amazon and it gets wrapped up in cardboard! gutted :-(

so i would imagine allother UK buyers should get it soon - hope yours is in better condition than mine.

It's good to know they're landing in the UK. Too bad about the packaging. I don't know what The Bureau are recommending. Perhaps send them a couple of pics of any damage. Anyway good luck with that.

thebureaucrat
- FB Fan -

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  10:22:44  Show Profile  Visit thebureaucrat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stoffaboy

Please shoot us an email at info@blackfrancis.net and we'll get you taken care of. We're switching over to more reliable shipping materials and want to hear about instances like this to better help us avoid it in the future.
Go to Top of Page

Idalgo Clandestino
- FB Fan -

Yugoslavia
104 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  10:43:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by cargro

The Golem still didn't make his way to Duesseldorf / Germany.

nor did he to Vienna, Austria

you probably thought i'm a shy guy
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  11:01:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

I just noticed this line in You're Gonna Pay: "Your daddy's rich and your mother must have been an electric pretty little city witty sitting hen."

It reminded me of the line from Come On Pilgrim: "Your daddy's rich and your mama's a pretty thing."

And I only now figured out the Pixies song was referring to Gershwin's Summertime: "Your daddy's rich and your mamma's good lookin'."

So hush little baby. Don't you cry
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  11:57:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darwin

So hush little baby. Don't you cry

Now I got Scott Thurston playing in my head.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000