Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  06:28:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
could it say 18 maybe?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His name is Dalton. He's got a degree in philosophy.
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

misterwoe
= Cult of Ray =

Greece
675 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  06:40:46  Show Profile  Visit misterwoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRANSMARINE

could it say 18 maybe?

-bRIAN

i second that.

------------------------------------------------
eyes burning
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  08:14:39  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It would be interesting to see the signature
change from 15 to 481.
Go to Top of Page

pinballguy
- FB Fan -

4 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  08:44:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

could it say 18 maybe?

-bRIAN

hmmm...i highly doubt it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1yBMQ_bLng
6:30 in, I'm sure he made some other mistakes
Probably made 2 fifteens and threw one in with thirteen
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  09:23:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pinballguy

quote:

could it say 18 maybe?

-bRIAN

hmmm...i highly doubt it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1yBMQ_bLng
6:30 in, I'm sure he made some other mistakes
Probably made 2 fifteens and threw one in with thirteen

could that say 196?

-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

pinballguy
- FB Fan -

4 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  10:19:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

could that say 196?

-bRIAN

For a minute, you convinced me it was 196! Curious enough, I started looking through the book at all the 8s. On the very last page in the center, above the word "Management" there is an 8 almost identical to mine. Now I'm pretty certain it's 18.

Go to Top of Page

bernerdawg
- FB Fan -

17 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  11:27:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep it up, folks, and this thread's gonna rip a hole in the space-time continuum.
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  11:30:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whatever happened with this?

-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  13:37:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't realize my photos would start such a furor. This is truly satisfying.
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  14:24:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Golem book is actually coming alive!!!

I really REALLY am enjoying this thing. The studio discs are VERY good! I've watched the DVD numerous times, and each time it's better and better.

My favorite parts:

The close up of the Golem looking around just after he's animated, and you hear Frank singing THE WORD...THE WORD... spooky and magical!

The guy who plays Loew's servant is GREAT! Great expressions without being as silent-actorishy as most silent actors were. (Silent acting was not know for it's subtleties, but this guy somehow channelled and delivered without much stylization. Only others I can think of are Mary Pickford and Lillian Gish)

OOOH! The synchronization of the Conjuring with the Rabbi actually conjuring (GIVE...IT...UP...TO...ME...GIVE...IT...TO...ME...NOW!)

The tinkling strings and guitar accompanying the starscape over the ghetto.

Anyone else want to comment on favorite parts?

-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  14:37:11  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bernerdawg

Keep it up, folks, and this thread's gonna rip a hole in the space-time continuum.

That's cool as long as there's a decent stereo on the other side.

I'll mash your perfect parts.
Go to Top of Page

soundofataris
= Cult of Ray =

USA
715 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  19:16:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My brother and his wife reacted incredulously when the Golem was first brought to life. and wasthen told to chop wood. they refused to believe me when I told them the Golem laterj does the rabbi's groceries.

For me a great moment of song and image was the finale with the little flower girl scene played with the flower song. Boffo.

---------------------------------------
i try to be mallory but i'm still skippy

Edited by - soundofataris on 02/27/2010 19:18:25
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  00:03:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i hope i get #19.

The waxworks were an immensely eloquent dissertation on the wonderful ordinariness of mankind.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  01:16:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i assume this is 368.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  02:41:29  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomwhite

Received mine today, its been ruined in the post though, front cover barely attached its been so badly knocked about. Why ship such a fragile and bespoke product in a jiffy bag? Gutted.

Please contact The Bureau and you will be sorted...
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  02:44:01  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I really REALLY am enjoying this thing. The studio discs are VERY good! I've watched the DVD numerous times, and each time it's better and better.

My favorite parts:

The close up of the Golem looking around just after he's animated, and you hear Frank singing THE WORD...THE WORD... spooky and magical!

The guy who plays Loew's servant is GREAT! Great expressions without being as silent-actorishy as most silent actors were. (Silent acting was not know for it's subtleties, but this guy somehow channelled and delivered without much stylization. Only others I can think of are Mary Pickford and Lillian Gish)

OOOH! The synchronization of the Conjuring with the Rabbi actually conjuring (GIVE...IT...UP...TO...ME...GIVE...IT...TO...ME...NOW!)

-bRIAN

Yeah, he's great. I totally agree. When he brings Golem alive to kill Florian, it's amazing the way he leans back against the table in awe of the Golem. He's so flexible and invested in the moment.
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  02:50:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blckfrncs

quote:

Received mine today, its been ruined in the post though, front cover barely attached its been so badly knocked about. Why ship such a fragile and bespoke product in a jiffy bag? Gutted.

that's some solid service! it's not likely that when you have a problem with windows vista that bill gates sends you a personal message to correct the issue.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"...long live snitz!!
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  03:08:14  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

quote:
Originally posted by soundofataris

quote:
Originally posted by soderstromk

Anyone who hasn't watched the movie yet...it really pulls everything together. My wife thinks I'm twisted, but I think the film is really, really good - on so many levels - not the least of which is a perspective on how Jews were perceived in 1920s Germany.

German films of the silent age and the twenties were amazing, and well worth educating your self about. There used to be an extremely lively and bohemian art scene going. The rise of the fascist drove a lot of those artists out and some, like Petr Lorre, to Hollywood.

Btw- Golem is actually the first part of a trilogy of films about the Golem.

---------------------------------------
i try to be mallory but i'm still skippy

I really enjoyed the movie on a purely cinematic/artistic level, but it is a little disturbing. As a cultural mirror, it said a lot of things to me about German perceptions in the 20s. From what I know of Paul Wegener, he certainly wasn't anti-semetic, but the film doesn't do much to portray the Jews in a favorable light, IMO.

I understand the myth of the Golem from a little research, how he is brought to life through magic, etc. It's a real story, and a pretty cool one. The film did right by the myth over all, there were just some, to me, unnecessary tidbits concerning the Jews - the hooked noses, the dark, spooky rituals, etc. To me, the final scenes of the movie seem to show the Jews as something to be feared, at least a little. They created a monster, burned half of their village, and didn't have a hell of a lot to show for it. Why was he so impressed with the happy blonde aryan prancing outside the gate? The final shot of the Jews disappearing back into their weird ghetto with their monster ends with a massive Star of David superimposed on it. I wasn't sure what it meant, if it was a "See? Jews - they're crazy," or if it meant something else.

In the end, it's a fascinating, oddly touching movie, and the scale of the story and cinematography are, for it's time, stunning. I was very impressed with the whole thing. Of course the soundtrack was amazing, but I'm just kind of talking about the movie itself. I'm no film historian, I've seen exactly four silent movies, and one of them was by Mel Brooks and another was from The Three Amigos. Nor am I a German/Jewish historian. So I'm probably not too qualified to speak on the subject.

The project as a whole is fantastic though. Great job Charles, it was even better than I thought it would be.

I love this part... Yeah, we did it!

I'm no historian or film expert either, and qualified to speak on nothing, but, hey, this kind of thing is fun to talk about. Glad you dug the movie and music. My impression is that this is a "monster movie" from the UFA film studios. It was the 3rd in a series (the other 2 long since lost). I agree, it is totally fascinating to see the characterization of 16th century Jews. I am not sure I agree that about the racist casting, other than some of the "gentiles" from the cast certainly look blonde and that most of the actors playing the Jews from the ghetto are dark haired. I imagine lots of historical/cultural details in the film are pure imagination (not sure, but the circles on the garb of the men from the synagogue comes to mind). And the film is a window into what was happening in Berlin right before WWII. Many of the people from the film who were not Jewish remained in Berlin after the war started and went on to work on Nazi propaganda films, some of the Jews associated with the UFA scene went on to Hollywood at this time, like the cinematographer, who went on famously to the I LOVE LUCY program. Interesting tidbit, the director and star of the film later married the young actress who plays Miriam. As I watched the film while writing the music, I became just as fascinated with the people who made the film as the stories that inspired the film. It would be great telling for a documentary or a book. I think the Star Of David at the end just means "this is a story from the Jews".

bf

Edited by - blckfrncs on 02/28/2010 03:20:17
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  03:16:59  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

My favorite parts:

-bRIAN

I love the "love scene" where Miriam and Florian are clutching and gazing into each other's eyes. When he goes for her bosom it's so intense! I love the whole series of scenes when The Rabbi's assistant compels the golem to kill Florian. Simply riveting. I love the scene of golem with the little gentile girl. So beautiful and Frankenstein.

bf
Go to Top of Page

Ernesto
- FB Fan -

Netherlands
99 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  03:37:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't wait till it arrives here !

Any new projects you're working on right now ? And how's it going and which persons are involved ?
Go to Top of Page

misterwoe
= Cult of Ray =

Greece
675 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  04:16:07  Show Profile  Visit misterwoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed reading comments posted by BF. Watching a film from this era will be a new experience for me, and I agree that it will be interesting to research the individuals who took part in the project.

I wonder if BF had considered any other films or always figured on doing this one. I mean, what goes into that kind of decision process?

By the way, I have a strong feeling that Der Golem will arrive in Greece this Monday! Tomorrow!

------------------------------------------------
eyes burning
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  07:03:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

My favorite parts:

-bRIAN

I love the "love scene" where Miriam and Florian are clutching and gazing into each other's eyes. When he goes for her bosom it's so intense! I love the whole series of scenes when The Rabbi's assistant compels the golem to kill Florian. Simply riveting. I love the scene of golem with the little gentile girl. So beautiful and Frankenstein.

bf

I laugh every time when the Golem drops that poor little girl! Then the way he keels over backward is so weird.

Oh...and the floating head of Astaroth is particularly disturbing to me as something quite similar happened to me one awful night when I was 5 years old. I was suffering from an incredibly high temperature and was lulled into conciousness by the most vivid and incredible hallucinations. My entire bedroom was alive with all creatures great and small...sounds and music unheard and unearthly soundtacked the bizarre and wonderful circus partying in my bedroom. Glowing worms and pulsating ants treaded the moon-like valleys which were normally the popcorm asbestos of my ceiling...I was not afraid of any of this, on the contrary, I was amused and concerned my new friends would wake my parents! My hot brain continued to drown me in this madness for the better part of an hour when suddenly a face much like the Astaroth face floated into my room...it's visage spilling and seething smoke and sounds like Astaroth. This hallucination was somewhat scary...but it was thwarted by the appearance of a little gift-wrapped package the size of a Rubik's Cube with beautiful translucent blue wings. This particular creature flapped down to block my line of vision of this terrible head AND THEN BECKONED ME AWAY FROM THE SCENE TO MY PARENTS ROOM. I followed the winged present and spoke aloud with it (I can't remember what it was saying to me...and I'm not sure if the communication made much sense then either) right to the edge of my parents bed. Alarmed and recognizing something was wrong with me, they jumped up from bed and turned on the bedroom light. Doing this washed all the hallucinations away EXCEPT for that horrible floating Astaroth-type head (which I could still see all the way down the hall from my parents bedroom) and the little winged gift, which again blocked me from keeping too long a gaze on the head. I often wonder if these creatures were demon and angel (or whatever the equivalent is) struggling to steal me and save me.

I wound up in the ER that night in a tub of ice.

So, needless to say, the Astaroth head freaks me out!

-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

tomwhite
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  08:29:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Wow, thank you so much for the personal response, made my evening! (faints)
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  14:20:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the web store's max order is 8. Does that mean there are only 8 left? if so...

Watching Der Golem on my old ass sony was a bit of an eye gouging experience. The film transfer looks much better on my imac. As with Dicken's, ghettos can become cozy when there are great set designers at work. I love the Loew's interior and the roof top shots.

"in modern hebrew the word golem literally means rock"
- wikipedia
Go to Top of Page

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  14:41:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great book about UFA:

http://www.amazon.com/Ufa-Story-Germanys-1918-1945-Criticism/dp/0520220692
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  18:56:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danjersey

the web store's max order is 8. Does that mean there are only 8 left? if so...

Watching Der Golem on my old ass sony was a bit of an eye gouging experience. The film transfer looks much better on my imac. As with Dicken's, ghettos can become cozy when there are great set designers at work. I love the Loew's interior and the roof top shots.

"in modern hebrew the word golem literally means rock"
- wikipedia

Yeah, it's down to seven now, so that must be it. I'm glad the experiment has payed off for Frank.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  19:34:05  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by soderstromk

I'm no historian or film expert either, and qualified to speak on nothing, but, hey, this kind of thing is fun to talk about. Glad you dug the movie and music. My impression is that this is a "monster movie" from the UFA film studios. It was the 3rd in a series (the other 2 long since lost). I agree, it is totally fascinating to see the characterization of 16th century Jews. I am not sure I agree that about the racist casting, other than some of the "gentiles" from the cast certainly look blonde and that most of the actors playing the Jews from the ghetto are dark haired. I imagine lots of historical/cultural details in the film are pure imagination (not sure, but the circles on the garb of the men from the synagogue comes to mind). And the film is a window into what was happening in Berlin right before WWII. Many of the people from the film who were not Jewish remained in Berlin after the war started and went on to work on Nazi propaganda films, some of the Jews associated with the UFA scene went on to Hollywood at this time, like the cinematographer, who went on famously to the I LOVE LUCY program. Interesting tidbit, the director and star of the film later married the young actress who plays Miriam. As I watched the film while writing the music, I became just as fascinated with the people who made the film as the stories that inspired the film. It would be great telling for a documentary or a book. I think the Star Of David at the end just means "this is a story from the Jews".

bf

It is great to read your thoughts on the film, Charles, thanks for the reply! I didn't mean to imply that the casting was racist, it just appeared to me that some of the backing players, not the principle actors, were wearing a few fake noses. I think there were a lot of interesting dynamics at work in Germany at the time (hell, everywhere... [hell, interesting dynamics today...]), and the movie really highlights some of those dynamics. I too got the impression that first and foremost, Der Golem was a horror/monster film. I'm betting it was pretty scary at the time - it's creepy even today.

Anyway, thanks for the project - probably safe to say I would have never heard of The Golem otherwise. Your unique ability to take odd, below-the-radar/rarely-touched-upon subject matter and spin it into inventive and highly addictive music continues to amaze.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 02/28/2010 19:40:04
Go to Top of Page

blckfrncs
- FB Fan -

Luxembourg
158 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  02:03:09  Show Profile  Visit blckfrncs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

[quote]Originally posted by soderstromk

bf

It is great to read your thoughts on the film, Charles, thanks for the reply! I didn't mean to imply that the casting was racist, it just appeared to me that some of the backing players, not the principle actors, were wearing a few fake noses. I think there were a lot of interesting dynamics at work in Germany at the time (hell, everywhere... [hell, interesting dynamics today...]), and the movie really highlights some of those dynamics. I too got the impression that first and foremost, Der Golem was a horror/monster film. I'm betting it was pretty scary at the time - it's creepy even today.

Anyway, thanks for the project - probably safe to say I would have never heard of The Golem otherwise. Your unique ability to take odd, below-the-radar/rarely-touched-upon subject matter and spin it into inventive and highly addictive music continues to amaze.

Not at all, you are right to conclude that there is a racist element in the film, I mean, how ironic, the plot referencing the pogroms and this is Berlin right before WWII. I just hadn't noticed fake noses, but I will watch for that again.

Edited by - blckfrncs on 03/01/2010 02:03:56
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  02:19:37  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Charles - would you be interested in doing another project of this sort? I would imagine it to be an awful lot of work, but work that resulted in a really amazing record.

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  05:00:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think there were a lot of interesting dynamics at work in Germany at the time (hell, everywhere... [hell, interesting dynamics today...]), and the movie really highlights some of those dynamics.

Hell yeah!; the next time anyone watches Der Golem they should try imagining that their nation has just lost a world war, survived the abdication of the king and a communist uprising and is about to start enjoying unprecedented political and artistic freedom in a new republic beset by prolonged and crippling poverty and hardship, ultimately to be swamped in a fascist tsunami.

Who brought the popcorn?

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  11:48:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No Der Golem arrived yet, roll on tomorrow! *crosses fingers*

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
411 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  12:21:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was sure it had arrived today but opened the door to be handed a package for the neighbours and a devastating electricity bill. The wait is only making me more excited for this.
Go to Top of Page

eroticvultcha
- FB Fan -

Ireland
81 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  13:12:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, I'd have figured both you guys would've received Der Golem today. I'm just across the water and mine came today. #490. Judging by that you'll probably get the package in the morning... Wednesday at the very latest.
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  16:14:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got mine today! So stoked... #388! (Close enough: 3+8+8 = 19!)

The waxworks were an immensely eloquent dissertation on the wonderful ordinariness of mankind.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000