Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 25

houstonguthrie
- FB Fan -

187 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  05:22:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man - I just love it to death. I think it's awesome. Am I just such a fan that I think everything is great? I don't think so - I've got my tunes that I skip and my records that I don't play so much. But this one just grabbed me right by the boo-boo from the get-go. It scratched that itch. Like the feeling I got when I heard the opening notes to "All My Ghosts" for the very first time - "aw hell YEAH!!" I got that same kind of feeling from these tunes. I could just tell right away - "I'm going to love this one".

And as I kept on listening - I never changed my mind. Even the mellow ones made me say "hell yeah" cuz they're so beautiful. Flower Song to me is just tops - I love it. There's so much of it to absorb even without watching the film along with it - the film brings a whole other level to it. I'm sure I'll find some tunes to skip on this one too. Some will get lost in the shuffle as I make a bee line for my favorites. But my first impression is that it's great.

I'm going to withstand the temptation to listen to any of these leaked Nonstoperotik tunes and just absorb this one until the next one is released proper.

Edited by - houstonguthrie on 02/21/2010 05:23:11
Go to Top of Page

ccuadros
* Dog in the Sand *

Chile
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  05:58:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
umm still waiting for my copy.....well are the cost of living in the ass of the world
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  06:17:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

Is this record a step back? Kind of, I'm hearing stuff I already heard before, it's a typical Frank Black-record.
---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?

But he always do that. For example Dog Gone from the first Catholics albums is very close to the first part of Los Angeles.
I met a man, He was a good man --- I could not pray, I felt so dog gone... remember? I could go on with "chains of songs" (examples: I love Rock n roll -- Captain Patsy -- I send away -- 6 legged man )
I think it's fair game if the new song is good and has its own life, wich is always the case.
Dog Gone definitely has something that Los Angeles didnt.
The Maharal sounds like Lolita but I think it's a better song.
I am much more pleased listening to The Word than Do you feel bad about it.
Etc...
Globally I think BF is writing very good songs now, some could be part of his best stuff.

Edited by - Grotesque on 02/21/2010 06:35:37
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  06:30:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My fears are over.

I got home from work last night to find my precious package waiting for me. For ME!

I amazed myself with a demonstration of great reserve...refraining from immediately attacking the parcel and ripping it open...instead, I leisurely ate my dinner, changed out of my work clothes, popped open a bottle of wine, and even drank a glass before ever-so-carefully unlocking the package and all the mystery within.

5 hours later I was finished and went to bed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His name is Dalton. He's got a degree in philosophy.
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  06:31:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grotesque

I think it's fair game if the new song is good and has its own life

Too right. Pre-FB even. Tame/Planet of Sound. I love Tame and could not do without Planet of Sound

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  06:57:58  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by houstonguthrie

Like the feeling I got when I heard the opening notes to "All My Ghosts" for the very first time - "aw hell YEAH!!"

exactly. it's just solid.

and i'd be thrilled to hear traces of "planet of sound" in a song, and equally thrilled to hear traces of "can i get a witness." i don't care which part of his catalog he "revisits" (though i think he's always progressing and not consciously looking back), anywhere he lands will be welcome.

"something against you," "fiddle riddle," "announcement," "everything is blue," i don't give a fuck. bring it.

-----------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  07:14:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And in the other hand you also have things like "Meet me at the getto gates" or "the conjuring" that dont sound like anything he's already done.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  07:18:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The studio album doesn't have one of my favorite bits from the DVD soundtrack; Bad News (Reprise) - check the first 35 secs of this Youtube link from the DVD. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQMyKDBYARE

Has it been left off the Studio album? What else is missing?

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  07:25:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with the people saying its okay to revisit old bits and give songs a new life of their own, but i'm surprised no one mentioned Makanjuo (Sp?) with A Dab'll'do ya (sp?)
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  07:30:50  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

I agree with the people saying its okay to revisit old bits and give songs a new life of their own, but i'm surprised no one mentioned Makanjuo (Sp?) with A Dab'll'do ya (sp?)

ha! good point. i love them both, as it turns out!

-----------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  07:37:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hear No.13 in one of the new tracks, does that bother me? no.
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  07:39:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of the short "versions" of themes are reversed in order on the studio discs as opposed to the booklet track order.

Oh, and by the way, mine is 399/500. At first I was a little bummed out that it wasn't a lower number, but then I was like, who the fuck cares? 399 is a great number!

So. The booklet is great (but some of the gummy glue from the brown paper wrapping got all over it). The pictures are cool. I like how the CD's are within the pages.

First I listened to the studio albums. Of course, not being familiar with the film or it's story, I knew it wouldn't make all that much sense until I watched it, so I just listened to the songs and the feelings and colors they evoked as opposed to what the lyrics were saying for the most part. I do have to admit I think they are fantastic! Such wonderful atmospheres and shades...and as weird as anything Black has penned. I liked the flutes and saxophones (I've never been a sax fan) and that wind machine thingy. The Word! The Conjuring! Great songs...

Next I watched the film. Was completely entranced. Someone mentioned that it didn't feel as if the songs were a good marriage to the plot...that it seemed like they were just something to listen to in parts. I think on the contrary the songs are completely relevant to every frame. Not always are the lyrics a topical narration...but rather a subtext to certain characters and situations, and sometimes they almost act as a Greek chorus. The ONLY problem I had (and it's minor) is the font of the revived intertitles. They had a cheap video look to them and I wish they were in a font similar to the artistic intertitles of the era. Oh well.

Finally, the live CD's. What was up with that emcee vocally narrating with annoying snide remarks? I didn't get that. It must have cheapened the experience, I feel, and confused the audience. It made it seem like they were making fun of the film Der Golem as opposed to reviving it with a modern musical interpretation. I could barely listen to it.

All in all, I am extremely excited by this Thing!!!

-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  07:48:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRANSMARINE

Finally, the live CD's. What was up with that emcee vocally narrating with annoying snide remarks? I didn't get that. It must have cheapened the experience, I feel, and confused the audience. It made it seem like they were making fun of the film Der Golem as opposed to reviving it with a modern musical interpretation. I could barely listen to it.

when I listened to those two cds it was on my crappy little turntable/radio/cd player and I couldn't make out what was being said. maybe I should be glad.

Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  07:58:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRANSMARINE

What was up with that emcee vocally narrating with annoying snide remarks? I didn't get that. It must have cheapened the experience, I feel, and confused the audience. It made it seem like they were making fun of the film Der Golem as opposed to reviving it with a modern musical interpretation. I could barely listen to it.

All in all, I am extremely excited by this Thing!!!

-bRIAN

I remember people complaining about Roy Zimmerman's annoying remarks at the time. Too bad he wasn't cut out of the recording (I haven't heard it yet).

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  08:13:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the idea that anyone outside of the band would have a mic on them and be allowed to make random comments seems absurd to me.

I'm really enjoying the new music. great stuff!
Go to Top of Page

trapperj
- FB Fan -

24 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  08:45:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't they say that was EDF as emcee?
Go to Top of Page

windupbird
- FB Fan -

127 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  09:13:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just curious... For those who got their Golem: do you recommend watching the film with the soundtrack first, or listening to the music first. Or even watching the film once without music..

Not like it's a big deal either way, but it seems like there's so much interesting stuff to absorb.

I've heard the intro credits, Bad news, Miriama and Florian, custom all the way and the flower song and love them so far.
I'd heard "Bad News" a while back, but when it 'clicked', as BF's song usually do, it became amazing and totally stuck in my head.
Can't wait to hear the rest.
Go to Top of Page

eroticvultcha
- FB Fan -

Ireland
81 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  09:29:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd watch the film first - it's a pretty unique way to experience an album for the first time.

Have any European forum members received their Golem package yet?
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  10:42:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trapperj

Didn't they say that was EDF as emcee?

well I thought it was, but trobrianders says it was Roy Zimmerman so...
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  10:43:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone know how many Golem posters were up for sale from the start? I did manage to get one, so I'm happy about that, but when I first logged on the morning Golem went on sale there were only 8 left. Then about 2 hours later they were all gone.

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

soundofataris
= Cult of Ray =

USA
715 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  11:33:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a small mistake in my book. While all my CDs are correct the sleeve for disc 2 of the live show says studio disc 2. Which leaves me to wonder if somewhere out there there exists my opposite number, the owner of a Golem book with the sleave for disc 2 of the studio recorded labelled the live show. Golly! We'd be like Harry Potter and Voldermort, each owning a wand with a feather from the same Phoenix! And yes I know exacted how idiotic that last sentence is.

---------------------------------------
i try to be mallory but i'm still skippy
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  11:37:18  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't think any of the Bluefinger tracks could have been Pixies tracks, but the energy level or the immediate feeling is somewhat comparable.

The man can do whatever he wants, obviously
just my 2 cents

Go to Top of Page

badronald
- FB Fan -

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  12:50:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by soundofataris

There's a small mistake in my book. While all my CDs are correct the sleeve for disc 2 of the live show says studio disc 2.

lol - in mine the sleeve for disc 1 of the live show says studio disc 1. I think someone was hitting der bottle when assembling the books.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  17:28:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Golem is a remarkable project, if only for the fact that I can't remember this community being so universally pleased with something Frank has done. I've never seen FB.netters so content. Is it just me, or are there fewer naysayers with this one than any other new recording?

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  19:56:39  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
wait, wait...

the live CDs aren't going to be made available separately?

this is troubling

-=Apesy
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  20:55:14  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

I don't think any of the Bluefinger tracks could have been Pixies tracks, but the energy level or the immediate feeling is somewhat comparable.

The man can do whatever he wants, obviously
just my 2 cents

comparable...on Bluefinger. Not Der Golem, it's lacking something in that department. Some FB-records are crafted in the sense that they are very well made, but somehow on autopilot (der golem, svn fngrs, pistelero) , other are full of inspiration(surfer rosa, toty, bluefinger) and some very personal (DITS, BLD, SMYT). We will see what the next one brings.

You people are absolutely right that songwriters like FB have always been revisiting their own style, melodies and chord changes. As long as the songs are good, there's no problem.

Go to Top of Page

misterwoe
= Cult of Ray =

Greece
675 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  00:03:39  Show Profile  Visit misterwoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
on the live discs, can the emcee (roy zimmerman) interludes be skipped? are they seperate tracks from the rest of the music?

------------------------------------------------
eyes burning
Go to Top of Page

solofloyd
- FB Fan -

33 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  04:30:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
got mine on sat. #497. at first i was disappointed because i figure i was within the first 50 to order on friday. then i thought about it and realized that he had to sign them and then wrap them up. consequently, i'm guessing they were sent out randomly rather than in order.

i am slowly figuring out the tracklisting for the live set but if anyone has seen anything official please post it.

still haven't watched the dvd yet. i'm familiarizing myself with the music first. almost finished with the live set. studio set is next.
Go to Top of Page

solofloyd
- FB Fan -

33 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  04:33:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
misterwoe,

no you cannot skip the emcee. his comments are at the end, middle, and beginning of tracks.
Go to Top of Page

Discoking
* Dog in the Sand *

Belgium
1103 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  08:43:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has Der Golem arrived anywhere in Europe yet?

I'm checking my mailbox every five minutes, but nothing so far.

it's educational
Go to Top of Page

misterwoe
= Cult of Ray =

Greece
675 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  08:54:27  Show Profile  Visit misterwoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by solofloyd

misterwoe,

no you cannot skip the emcee. his comments are at the end, middle, and beginning of tracks.

That sucks.

eyes burning
Go to Top of Page

misterwoe
= Cult of Ray =

Greece
675 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  09:01:34  Show Profile  Visit misterwoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

Has Der Golem arrived anywhere in Europe yet?

I'm checking my mailbox every five minutes, but nothing so far.

it's educational

Not yet!

eyes burning
Go to Top of Page

bernerdawg
- FB Fan -

17 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  09:47:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by solofloyd

got mine on sat. #497. at first i was disappointed because i figure i was within the first 50 to order on friday. then i thought about it and realized that he had to sign them and then wrap them up. consequently, i'm guessing they were sent out randomly rather than in order.

I could be wrong on this, but weren't they already autographed? I'm basing this on one of the blog videos in which Charles is sitting at a table autographing a stack of papers. Even if it wasn't Der Golem he was attending to, the photo in a previous thread shows Der Golem boxed and shrink wrapped, so I'm assuming they arrived at the Bureau like that and didn't require any more prep before shipping.

Go to Top of Page

MMD
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
233 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  11:00:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing in the UK today...

“Not since Orson Welles had one man so many fingers in so many pies, and been the chef as well. And then looked like he went and ate them all. The guy was out of control.”
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  20:57:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtXB-n5nv48

count 1:26 the strum

the flute with drums

and the view 1:53

this is no mere "album"
Go to Top of Page