Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 25

warpig81
- FB Fan -

4 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  08:22:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by soundofataris

There's a small mistake in my book. While all my CDs are correct the sleeve for disc 2 of the live show says studio disc 2.

There's a couple small defects in my set too. The only major one being the second live disc has 2 second gaps between all the tracks, which kinda ruins the flow. I'd assume everyone's is like that since it's probably a pressing issue. All of my cd sleeves have the correct names on them, but I do have a double of one page (the one with frank and a couple guys holding cups of tea on one side, and the other side is the line of people outside the castro, and there's a sign on the building that says "hot cookie".) I was able to easily edit out the gaps on the live disc and put it all on my ipod for a nice seamless listening experience anyway so no big deal.
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  09:44:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
any canadian sets arrive yet?

The waxworks were an immensely eloquent dissertation on the wonderful ordinariness of mankind.
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  10:03:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine has a good defect -- double autograph pages and two numbers. Apologies to whoever got #15 without a signature. I didn't do it.

Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  10:18:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's pretty shitty to whoever got nš 15.

How many pages is the book supposed to have anyway?
Go to Top of Page

bernerdawg
- FB Fan -

17 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  10:38:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by velvety

+1

I'm certain the Bureau will make it up to the unfortunate soul. The Cult of Ray poster I received last year had some slight water damage to it, and even though it was barely noticeable the poster was shipped with an apology as well as 3 extra signed posters to make up for it.

So there's no telling what cool shit the intended no.15 is going to get once he/she brings it to the bureau's attention.
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  11:09:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bernerdawg

So there's no telling what cool shit the intended no.15 is going to get once he/she brings it to the bureau's attention.

That was one reason I posted. The person might not even know what's missing.
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  11:09:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No.13 Baby

By the way, how would you know you were No.15 if you don't have a page in there? There could easily be more than one book with a missing auto page.

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

bernerdawg
- FB Fan -

17 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  11:18:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1965

No.13 Baby

By the way, how would you know you were No.15 if you don't have a page in there? There could easily be more than one book with a missing auto page.

I have the key to #902

I guess you wouldn't really "know" -- but whoever received a defective product would surely get taken care of.

But the idea that there could be multiple Der Golems with missing autograph pages leads me to wonder what is an acceptable error rate here? Having cds that are mismatched to their sleeves is one thing, but I would hope that the kind of error above would be very rare, correct?
Go to Top of Page

Nate in the PDX
- FB Fan -

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  12:18:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
C'mon, it's not a bug, it's a feature... sorry, I work with software developers...

Focus for a moment on just how cool it is that these box sets were apparently hand-assembled -- by human beings! -- and that some exceptional results emerged. More rare than rare!

Assuming the Bureau puts things right through whatever means, it occurs to me that at least TWO parties in each case (for example, the fellow who got No. 15's signature page, and No.15 who gets some terrific mystery consolation prize) wind up with something even more special than I did... and I think what I got out of the deal (a "conventional" version of The Golem package) was pretty doggone special to begin with.
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  13:14:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nate in the PDX

and I think what I got out of the deal (a "conventional" version of The Golem package) was pretty doggone special to begin with.

Maybe the "conventional" version with one of each page (and none missing) is the rarest of them all!
Go to Top of Page

Nate in the PDX
- FB Fan -

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  13:47:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good golly, BLT, that hadn't even occurred to me!
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  13:53:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as I know mine is "conventional".
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  14:57:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder what effect this will have on the inevitable "Sealed copy of Golem" that shows up on ebay
Go to Top of Page

Superabounder
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  15:07:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by velvety

How many pages is the book supposed to have anyway?

How do you know it wasn't the guy with no 13 without a signature? Hehe.

I'd rather be anywhere or doing anything
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  15:15:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mine checks out, #239. The 9 could be a 4 though.

I want to know who got #89 #90.

Go to Top of Page

bernerdawg
- FB Fan -

17 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  15:36:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In terms of a collector's market, I would think that a low serial number would be more desirable than an unsealed copy. Of course, you have to unseal the package to find out the serial number.

At first I didn't open mine. I had an advance copy and could enjoy the songs and the film without disturbing the shrinkwrap. I fantasized that I could wait for future live/studio versions to appear so that I could preserve my copy's virginity.

Enter BLT and his mutant copy with the extra serial page. I couldn't stand not knowing, because with my luck my copy wouldn't have the stupid serial page. So I opened it up. Carefully. Only to discover I have #11.

So.....thanks, BLT......thanks lot.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  16:49:28  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danjersey

I wonder what effect this will have on the inevitable "Sealed copy of Golem" that shows up on ebay

Well... I have an extra sealed. The Bureau made a mistake with my orders. I ordered The Golem, then in a separate order, I ordered The Golem Poster. When everything arrived, they sent me TWO separate copies of The Golem book, and no poster. When I opened the second one the receipt did indeed say I ordered and paid for the poster, but there was the set instead. I contacted them about it and offered to pay the difference and just keep it as a sealed copy and they are cool with that. Now that I have it I kind of want to hang onto it.

Selfish? Maybe.

It may or may not end up on ebay one day. If it's No. 15 though, whoever gets it might not be a happy camper.

I love this part... Yeah, we did it!
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  17:02:56  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BLT

Mine has a good defect -- double autograph pages and two numbers. Apologies to whoever got #15 without a signature. I didn't do it.

Must have worn out by 405, my signature is nowhere near as elaborate as yours lol

Go to Top of Page

emptyreality
- FB Fan -

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  18:40:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

quote:
Originally posted by BLT

Must have worn out by 405, my signature is nowhere near as elaborate as yours lol

i wonder if he signed them all in one sitting?
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  18:47:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Golem's release reminds me of one of those "make the collector nerd sweat" colored vinyls. Getting past the object though, and it's limited edition value, the music is now starting to grow on me. I went through a brief buyer's remorse period thinking I had paid ninety bucks for a signature, a few good songs and some weird silent film (that I still wont watch) rather than a record I wanted to hear till my ears fell off (not that that was what was advertised).

But beyond the tone of the man's guitar and his good taste in collaborators, lyrics and reason have always held my interest long after the thrill of a song like Thalassocracy or Czar is over.

One question that is repeatedly asked of Charles is "what is your song writing process like. How do you go about it?" Admittedly I've wondered the same thing. This project appears to be the first thing since sitting down and reading the Bible that gives us some glint into the man and the muse and I'm enjoying the hell out of it.
Go to Top of Page

misterwoe
= Cult of Ray =

Greece
675 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  18:54:38  Show Profile  Visit misterwoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm hoping my package will arrive in Greece today (Wednesday)!

------------------------------------------------
eyes burning
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  19:44:00  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by emptyreality

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by BLT

i wonder if he signed them all in one sitting?

I'm going to guess he did. I don't know the inside story about the timeline, nor the details of who he had assemble and publish the thing, but its possible that when they said they needed the signature pages, they NEEDED them asap. I'm betting one of the old timers at the forum here know. The signatures on BLT's copy look much more like his usual autograph. He was kind enough to sign Devil's Workshop for me at The Belly Up in Sonoma and the handwriting, although it's Frank Black, is the same as BLT's (sloppy, flowing, etc). On my Golem he may have been over it by that point.

It doesn't matter to me, it's a unique and special item for sure, I wouldn't care if it was an ink blotch or a couple of lines. Only brought it up because I thought it was amusing.

In other news, I just watched the movie for the first time (I listened to the soundtrack a few times before I had a chance to sit back and watch, the incidental music makes a lot more sense now...) and it's very cool. Weird as hell, creepy too.

Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7437 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  21:25:14  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

In terms of a collector's market, I would think that a low serial number would be more desirable than an unsealed copy. Of course, you have to unseal the package to find out the serial number.

At first I didn't open mine. I had an advance copy and could enjoy the songs and the film without disturbing the shrinkwrap. I fantasized that I could wait for future live/studio versions to appear so that I could preserve my copy's virginity.

Enter BLT and his mutant copy with the extra serial page. I couldn't stand not knowing, because with my luck my copy wouldn't have the stupid serial page. So I opened it up. Carefully. Only to discover I have #11.

Hilarious! Thanks for the laugh.

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  21:34:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so yeah. Canada anyone? hope this "olympic security" ain't fuckin' with my golem.

The waxworks were an immensely eloquent dissertation on the wonderful ordinariness of mankind.
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  02:43:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by BLT

Looks like 409 to me. /???

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  05:24:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

You're welcome.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  06:30:52  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1965

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by BLT

Looks like 409 to me. /???

I have the key to #902

Could be, that'd be fine. Real fine.

Go to Top of Page

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  06:37:01  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
looks like there are 95 left

and you can have them all for the low introductory price of $8550!

-=Apesy
Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  08:19:06  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shineoftheever

so yeah. Canada anyone? hope this "olympic security" ain't fuckin' with my golem.

What he said. Anyone in Canada got it yet? Not trying to be impatient, just curious as to how much delay comes from simply crossing the border.

That and I am impatient, of course.

------------------
Nothing is ever something.
Go to Top of Page

soderstromk
- FB Fan -

28 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  11:22:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone who hasn't watched the movie yet...it really pulls everything together. My wife thinks I'm twisted, but I think the film is really, really good - on so many levels - not the least of which is a perspective on how Jews were perceived in 1920s Germany.
Go to Top of Page

soundofataris
= Cult of Ray =

USA
715 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  13:35:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by soderstromk

Anyone who hasn't watched the movie yet...it really pulls everything together. My wife thinks I'm twisted, but I think the film is really, really good - on so many levels - not the least of which is a perspective on how Jews were perceived in 1920s Germany.

German films of the silent age and the twenties were amazing, and well worth educating your self about. There used to be an extremely lively and bohemian art scene going. The rise of the fascist drove a lot of those artists out and some, like Petr Lorre, to Hollywood.

Btw- Golem is actually the first part of a trilogy of films about the Golem.

---------------------------------------
i try to be mallory but i'm still skippy
Go to Top of Page

Czar
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
321 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  15:34:27  Show Profile  Visit Czar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Shine: nothing yet here in Montreal. Olympics are a looong way from here. Must be a conspiracy against us.

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  15:45:47  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by soundofataris

quote:
Originally posted by soderstromk

German films of the silent age and the twenties were amazing, and well worth educating your self about. There used to be an extremely lively and bohemian art scene going. The rise of the fascist drove a lot of those artists out and some, like Petr Lorre, to Hollywood.

Btw- Golem is actually the first part of a trilogy of films about the Golem.

---------------------------------------
i try to be mallory but i'm still skippy

I really enjoyed the movie on a purely cinematic/artistic level, but it is a little disturbing. As a cultural mirror, it said a lot of things to me about German perceptions in the 20s. From what I know of Paul Wegener, he certainly wasn't anti-semetic, but the film doesn't do much to portray the Jews in a favorable light, IMO.

I understand the myth of the Golem from a little research, how he is brought to life through magic, etc. It's a real story, and a pretty cool one. The film did right by the myth over all, there were just some, to me, unnecessary tidbits concerning the Jews - the hooked noses, the dark, spooky rituals, etc. To me, the final scenes of the movie seem to show the Jews as something to be feared, at least a little. They created a monster, burned half of their village, and didn't have a hell of a lot to show for it. Why was he so impressed with the happy blonde aryan prancing outside the gate? The final shot of the Jews disappearing back into their weird ghetto with their monster ends with a massive Star of David superimposed on it. I wasn't sure what it meant, if it was a "See? Jews - they're crazy," or if it meant something else.

In the end, it's a fascinating, oddly touching movie, and the scale of the story and cinematography are, for it's time, stunning. I was very impressed with the whole thing. Of course the soundtrack was amazing, but I'm just kind of talking about the movie itself. I'm no film historian, I've seen exactly four silent movies, and one of them was by Mel Brooks and another was from The Three Amigos. Nor am I a German/Jewish historian. So I'm probably not too qualified to speak on the subject.

The project as a whole is fantastic though. Great job Charles, it was even better than I thought it would be.

Edited by - johnnyribcage on 02/24/2010 15:48:01
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  16:07:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with the above post by Johnny. I just watched the film and am glad I listened to all the tracks a number of times before viewing. Rather than being overwhelmed (or under) by the strange tale I always had the next piece of music to look forward to.

Looking at youtube clips, the light/dark balance appears way easier on the eyes than the dvd. That maybe just my TV's problem.

Edited by - danjersey on 02/24/2010 19:46:19
Go to Top of Page

misterwoe
= Cult of Ray =

Greece
675 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  19:11:19  Show Profile  Visit misterwoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i'm still torn about which disc i'll play first.

------------------------------------------------
eyes burning
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000