Page: of 25

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  11:43:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matto

2 arrived in Seattle on 2/18. Just sayin', to those 1 state away from OR.

sminki pinki

Arrrgh. Just got back from going home for lunch to check if it arrived. It didn't.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His name is Dalton. He's got a degree in philosophy.
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

houstonguthrie
- FB Fan -

187 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  11:53:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine arrived today. I threw the dvd in and have had it playing while cooking dinner - catching a glimpse while cooking plus sitting down for a scene or two when I can. So it's just washing over me for the first time right now as I type

- but I'm pretty much floored. I LOVE IT - the music is STELLAR - it completely stands on its own. The movie along with it is just so original and unlike anything we've had from him before. I just love that he took this project on. Count me as one satisfied customer - It was worth the wait!!
Go to Top of Page

ejcampbell
- FB Fan -

16 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  12:00:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Der Golem hat in der Stadt der Musik gekommen.
Go to Top of Page

trapperj
- FB Fan -

24 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  12:10:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Der Golem arrived in Chicago today! Mine was #12. So excited, I think a little pee came out.
Go to Top of Page

moonruler
- FB Fan -

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  13:01:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The wonderful state of VT has received some Der Golem lovin'. Gonna take a while to digest all of this, but sounds good so far. YeeHaaa! I hope all you "pending orders" get yours without any hitches.

Trapperj; I have known some dogs that happened to on a regular basis. To the point where you didn't feel loved unless you got a little pee.
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  14:19:57  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anybody in California (more specifically Los Angeles)got theirs yet? I ordered as soon as I heard it was available last Friday, and so far nothing.....
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  14:25:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yarbles

Anybody in California (more specifically Los Angeles)got theirs yet? I ordered as soon as I heard it was available last Friday, and so far nothing.....

I've been complaining about this fact in my last few posts. It's driving me INSANE

-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  14:48:46  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Me too. I just double checked my order and it also says it's pending. Even though my credit card went through and I received my confirmation email. I'm hoping it'll be waiting for me when I get home from work in an hour or so, but somehow I fear that I'll be out of luck like you Transmarine. Are you in Los Angeles as well?
Go to Top of Page

mccrackus
- FB Fan -

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  15:39:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody in California (more specifically Los Angeles)got theirs yet? I ordered as soon as I heard it was available last Friday, and so far nothin

Yep. Number 356 arrived in LA today.
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  15:51:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trapperj

Der Golem arrived in Chicago today! Mine was #12. So excited, I think a little pee came out.

My #13 bids a fond farewell to your #12.
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  15:56:29  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice! What a great way to end the workday and start the weekend! I came home to find The Golem waiting for me in the mailbox! Haven't even listened to it yet, just opened it up and looked at the front cover. #72 out of 500! Can't wait to consume all of this over the weekend!

Have no worries about that pending stuff. My order still says pending, yet I'm holding the release in my hands.
Go to Top of Page

mikaelp75
- FB Fan -

131 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  16:06:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For all you fellow penders out there, I can offer you some slight consolation with the fact that my USB stick orders are still down as "pending" even though I got them months ago.

I got my prescreening copy (yay!) about a week after posting US-UK so I'm expecting the full package to arrive early next week.

I couldn't help myself so I watched it on my lonesome and love it unconditionally. I was already a big fan of the film, mind. The big screening in my mate's home theatre with fellow friends and fans won't be until next Friday, though, and I'm gonna try not to indulge again before that. (smiley for "pulls beard out and scratches groin uncontrollably" needed here)

I might pass the promo copy on to someone unfortunate enough to miss the release at a later date. Stay tuned if you're interested.

Life is good.
Go to Top of Page

gyaneshwar
- FB Fan -

194 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  17:13:52  Show Profile  Visit gyaneshwar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Got mine today - had a chance to flip through the book, but not listened to it yet. It was driving me crazy for a second trying to figure out how to open the brown paper wrapper without fucking anything up.

Bravo on the packaging - great stuff and way over the top.
Go to Top of Page

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  22:24:54  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
so when do the poor among us get to hear this

it's the most excited i've been about frank in years but i couldn't spare $100 right now

i wish he'd put the music up for immediate (paid) download via blackfrancis.net as a stopgap

-=Apesy
Go to Top of Page

Czar
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
321 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2010 :  05:36:00  Show Profile  Visit Czar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No sight of the Golem in Montréal yet. Bad news, bad news...

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2010 :  06:08:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing here yet. I haven't even recieved a confirmation email like some of you are talking about...alas, my card has been charged and we're going on 8 days...

I am REALLY getting annoyed. And sad :(

-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2010 :  06:21:31  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
astaroth has a jacques tati vibe to it, which is nice. there's definitely a lot to digest here. i'm tempted to whittle it down to the main songs just to get familiar with them. then i wouldn't have to check the tracklist to see what theme/preview is currently playing.

i can't believe we get this and NSE within 2 months of each other. i still haven't watched the movie or listened to the live show!

-----------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

trapperj
- FB Fan -

24 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2010 :  08:11:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just watched the film with soundtrack, and it was the first time I heard any of it besides The Flower Song and Bad News. Very well done, as always a lot to hear. I'm wondering, now, how I would have felt about the songs if I had not experienced them first with the film, and I still haven't decided if it's disappointing to not have to dig into the tracks like I usually do to figure them out. Just something interesting to think about, either way The Golem made my day today, and we all know how hard it is to get days made. Also anyone who couldn't afford it, Mr Francis basically gave it away on youtube, and it's pretty easy to a find a free, downloadable youtube ripper until a cheaper version emerges. Thank you again Black Francis.
Go to Top of Page

IceManCometh
- FB Fan -

58 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2010 :  09:34:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arrived today. Number 432. Strange, since I ordered right away, but maybe many people did, or the process didn't work that way. At any rate, it looks great, and I'm looking forward to playing it in the next few days when I have a good chunk of time to dedicate to it.
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2010 :  11:48:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jose Jones

there's definitely a lot to digest here. i'm tempted to whittle it down to the main songs just to get familiar with them. then i wouldn't have to check the tracklist to see what theme/preview is currently playing.

this fits on a single cd

01. Little Stars Theme
02. Bad News
03. Astaroth
04. The Maharal
05. Miriam and Florian
06. Stars
07. The Conjuring
08. The Word
09. The Obedient Servant
10. Makanujo
11. Meet Me at the Ghetto Gates
12. Custom All the Way
13. You're Gonna Pay)
14. (Oh How I Wish I Could) Stay
15. The Flower Song

*16. The Golem's Theme (Version 5)
* Hidden Track

this may be frowned upon but I think it's fun. I didn't take things out of order until the end and with the exception of the first track I excluded all other themes and versions. It stays true for the most part and as of right now (listening to track 5) this little (not really) edited version absolutely rocks and helps me hear the meat and potatoes of it as an album.

Now I haven't watched the film but I am looking forward to doing so some dark and stormy night.

Charles is my favorite Artist period. If I had bought one of his paintings I most certainly would not have cut and paste it up to my liking but within this medium I think it's ok.

"it's like custom all the way"

Edited by - danjersey on 02/20/2010 12:24:44
Go to Top of Page

bodajmac
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2010 :  12:21:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i should probably get out more and i've no idea how reliable an indicator this is of actual stock levels, but playing with the basket on the bf webstore i was able to add 73 copies of the golem to my basket but adding more than that resulted in an out of stock message. anyone who's been hanging back really should get in there asap...
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2010 :  14:27:21  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
danjoisy, like you say it just helps me hear the meat and potatoes. sort of a primer. once i get used to the songs i'll be able to appreciate the reprises and themes more.

-----------------------
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2010 :  16:13:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In short, a large portion of the music is missing

the limitations of a mix tape

Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2010 :  19:16:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danjersey
this fits on a single cd

01. Little Stars Theme
02. Bad News
03. Astaroth
04. The Maharal
05. Miriam and Florian
06. Stars
07. The Conjuring
08. The Word
09. The Obedient Servant
10. Makanujo
11. Meet Me at the Ghetto Gates
12. Custom All the Way
13. You're Gonna Pay)
14. (Oh How I Wish I Could) Stay
15. The Flower Song

*16. The Golem's Theme (Version 5)
* Hidden Track

this may be frowned upon but I think it's fun. I didn't take things out of order until the end and with the exception of the first track I excluded all other themes and versions. It stays true for the most part and as of right now (listening to track 5) this little (not really) edited version absolutely rocks and helps me hear the meat and potatoes of it as an album.

Thanks for sharing, Dan. I've been wanting to figure out such a mix myself, but didn't want to take the time. I'm looking forward to putting together the danjersey mix and enjoying it.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2010 :  22:30:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So... the meat and potatoes, are they good or what? I've only heard 'The Flower Song' and 'Bad News', which sound great. Are the other songs any good? Favourites so far? Do they work even better while watching the film?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2010 :  23:00:39  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Is it too early to start reviewing this piece of music?

I've been thinking a lot about FB/BF lately, mostly because it's been so long since SVN FNGRS (even longer since the last proper album) and there was nothing much to keep the train of being a FB-fan rolling. Of course I'm not really complaining, we got spoiled the last decade.

Anyhow I like Der Golem, but I can't help thinking this is more of a Catholics record without pedal steel and with horns/flute in return. This is nitpicking but I would have appreciated if this was being released under the Frank Black moniker, it would have made more sense. That being said, an artist flip flopping between Frank Black and Black Francis makes a commercial fool out of himself. Still, in my mind Bluefinger and SVN FNGRS legitimized the name change with their high powered punkrock. You can't deny that Black Francis as a name (brand?) has a Pixies connotation all over it. However, this is the 3rd concept record (Herman Brood, Greek Myth, German Movie) so maybe that's what Black Francis is all about. In the end...what's in a name?

Is this record a step back? Kind of, I'm hearing stuff I already heard before, it's a typical Frank Black-record. I hear structures and chord changes and even melodies that he used before.
Some portions of Stars or The Obedient Servant sound like little pieces out of Fitzgerald, Don't Cry That Way, Holland Town, When They Come To Murder Me, Do You Feel Bad About It.

Is this bad? Maybe it's just me, but to me this is the first release with this feeling. But the songs are still good, the production is fresh and I don't know how Charles Thompson does it, but he hacked my personal life again. I have to listen to it. Despite the feelings expressed above. And that is a sign of great craftmanship.

Hopefully the pixies reunion will soon stop and we can have more of these treats. And more important a new FB/FB every year, like he used to.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  01:27:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FrequencyOfGlow

Just came in the mail. I don't know how I got it into my head that the book itself would be huge. I was expecting a much larger package. #73 of 500...

I thought the same thing, and mentioned it myself a few days ago, but no one commented. I actually think it would've worked amazingly well if the book/package was LP sized, but it would've blown out the cost too much = a bad idea. As it is (5" x 5") I think it is perfectly fine. *****

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  01:46:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

he hacked my personal life again.

Excellent comment.

Idalgo Clandestino
- FB Fan -

Yugoslavia
104 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  01:59:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ejcampbell

Der Golem hat in der Stadt der Musik gekommen.

in vienna? tell me which bezirk? intra belt? extra belt?
I'm WAITING!

you probably thought i'm a shy guy
Go to Top of Page

cptnpasty
- FB Fan -

Spain
151 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  02:13:48  Show Profile  Visit cptnpasty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
since the box set is a one off i don't suppose there is any moral obstacle to those lucky enough to have it sharing material that won't be released elsewhere, the live stuff and so on?
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  02:51:06  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

I've been thinking a lot about FB/BF lately, mostly because it's been so long since SVN FNGRS (even longer since the last proper album) and there was nothing much to keep the train of being a FB-fan rolling. Of course I'm not really complaining, we got spoiled the last decade.

Anyhow I like Der Golem, but I can't help thinking this is more of a Catholics record without pedal steel and with horns/flute in return. This is nitpicking but I would have appreciated if this was being released under the Frank Black moniker, it would have made more sense. That being said, an artist flip flopping between Frank Black and Black Francis makes a commercial fool out of himself. Still, in my mind Bluefinger and SVN FNGRS legitimized the name change with their high powered punkrock. You can't deny that Black Francis as a name (brand?) has a Pixies connotation all over it. However, this is the 3rd concept record (Herman Brood, Greek Myth, German Movie) so maybe that's what Black Francis is all about. In the end...what's in a name?

Is this record a step back? Kind of, I'm hearing stuff I already heard before, it's a typical Frank Black-record. I hear structures and chord changes and even melodies that he used before.
Some portions of Stars or The Obedient Servant sound like little pieces out of Fitzgerald, Don't Cry That Way, Holland Town, When They Come To Murder Me, Do You Feel Bad About It.

Is this bad? Maybe it's just me, but to me this is the first release with this feeling. But the songs are still good, the production is fresh and I don't know how Charles Thompson does it, but he hacked my personal life again. I have to listen to it. Despite the feelings expressed above. And that is a sign of great craftmanship.

Hopefully the pixies reunion will soon stop and we can have more of these treats. And more important a new FB/FB every year, like he used to.

to me, bluefinger isn't all that different than his other stuff. it's just that the production is raw (is that new?) and off the cuff. sure, threshold and MAYBE Tight Black Rubber have a sound that might sound specifically like BLACK FRANCIS, but all the other songs are pure frank black. but the name argument is also sort of silly because it's the same guy. he makes the music he makes.

the only PIXIES albums that sounded "raw" were the first two. the last three were polished and lush. what exactly are you wanting from this guy? an album full of "the seus" and "i sent away"? looks like NSE will have Thalassocracy-like energy on parts, so that's something.

-----------------------
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  03:05:26  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cptnpasty

since the box set is a one off i don't suppose there is any moral obstacle to those lucky enough to have it sharing material that won't be released elsewhere, the live stuff and so on?

I'd wait until it is officially sold out before crossing that bridge.

- Brian
Go to Top of Page

trapperj
- FB Fan -

24 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  03:17:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by billgoodman

"Is this record a step back? Kind of, I'm hearing stuff I already heard before, it's a typical Frank Black-record. I hear structures and chord changes and even melodies that he used before.
Some portions of Stars or The Obedient Servant sound like little pieces out of Fitzgerald, Don't Cry That Way, Holland Town, When They Come To Murder Me, Do You Feel Bad About It."

I think when a songwriter is as prolific as Charles is, chord changes will be reused eventually and melodies will worm their way from old works into new ones. You can find this happening with other monsters of songwriting, Dylan coming first to mind. I wouldn't think of it as a step back, it's more like he still had something left he wanted to explore. Either way when I think back on following Black Francis from Pixies to Frank Black, and back to Black Francis, it is one hell of a songwriting roller-coaster, and if he stopped today, he would have left a pretty impressive catalog. But if you ever read this Black, please don't stop.

Edited by - trapperj on 02/21/2010 03:20:19
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
411 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  03:26:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never been able to grasp where the talk of bluefinger being a return to more Pixies type material comes from. I'd struggle to fit any bluefinger track onto a pixies album.

I think to place any importance on the name change is a waste of time too. The man has said in a fair few interviews that there is no masterplan, that he just follows his muse. It's no leap in my mind to see that this record comes from the same incredible mind that gave us Bluefinger or Dog in the Sand or Teenager and yet each one of his albums has been a surprise for me.

I know it's hard not to wish he would constantly remake your favourite album (be that pixies/catholics/nashville/whatever era frank) but one thing's for sure this trip we've been on with Frank Black's music wouldn't have been half as exciting if I'd been driving. I'm along for the ride wherever the man is taking us.

I can't wait to get my hands on Der Golem.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  05:05:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can see why Black Francis would want to visit some of the places Frank Black has been. Der Golem is still a surprising reinterpretation of maybe some of those places. Mostly it's new territory, to my ear anyway.

Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000