71 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  08:29:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Golem has arrived in Central Nebraska
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  11:26:56  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jackruby

The Golem has arrived in Central Nebraska

Still waiting in Western Pennsylvania

I love this part... Yeah, we did it!
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  11:39:33  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Is it me or does Stars sound a bit like Do You Feel Bad About It?

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  11:43:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm waiting for Blu-ray.

I have the key to #902

Edited by - 1965 on 02/18/2010 11:44:16
Go to Top of Page

Somnambulist
- FB Fan -

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  12:07:46  Show Profile  Visit Somnambulist's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Golem has arrived in Virginia!!! I'm like a giddy kid. I haven't opened it yet.

Are you going down where the ballyhoos and tritons are?
Go to Top of Page

franktaper
- FB Fan -

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  12:45:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Der Golem & poster have arrived here as well. Can't tell if the # for the booklet is 9 or 191, probably the latter. Beautifully packaged IMO. Looks like EDF on the back cover. Now to put in the first cd...
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  15:07:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So how does it go? Do you have to break a wax seal to get into the thing?

Somnambulist
- FB Fan -

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  15:18:22  Show Profile  Visit Somnambulist's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders

So how does it go? Do you have to break a wax seal to get into the thing?

I just slid a knife under it. It doesn't seem to be wax. Maybe plastic molded to look like a classic wax seal. One of my goals in life is to have a monogram ring I can use to press into wax. Now just need to figure out how to wax-seal emails...

Are you going down where the ballyhoos and tritons are?
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  15:30:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Somnambulist

One of my goals in life is to have a monogram ring I can use to press into wax.

Me too. But first I still need to do some work on becoming a man of character.

I would have gone ten extra dollars for a bit of wax. Can't wait to get my hands on the thing.

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  15:51:39  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders

quote:
Originally posted by Somnambulist

One of my goals in life is to have a monogram ring I can use to press into wax.

Me too. But first I still need to do some work on becoming a man of character.

I would have gone ten extra dollars for a bit of wax. Can't wait to get my hands on the thing.

With the goal of becoming a man of character, I think first procuring a monogram ring is a step in the right direction...

I love this part... Yeah, we did it!
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  17:12:00  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it's in front of me as i speak (type). number 206/500, signed by blane francis himself. i tore the bitch open, but only after taking pictures of it. i'ma keep the wax seal. it's purdy.

-----------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  17:45:48  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I kept the little white sticker that came with the Grand Duchy album that was on the plastic cellophane cover, and then I went out one night and got pissed and ended up losing the actual CD. Now all I have left is a 256kbps digital copy, an empty sleeve and the little white sticker. I'm not trying to scare anyone here, I am sure you're copy of The Golem box set will be fine, although since there are 5 times the number of discs then you are statistically 5 times more likely to lose one than you would be if there was only 1.

Edited by - pot on 02/18/2010 17:46:59
Go to Top of Page

misterwoe
= Cult of Ray =

Greece
675 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  20:10:56  Show Profile  Visit misterwoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by pot

I kept the little white sticker that came with the Grand Duchy album that was on the plastic cellophane cover, and then I went out one night and got pissed and ended up losing the actual CD. Now all I have left is a 256kbps digital copy, an empty sleeve and the little white sticker. I'm not trying to scare anyone here, I am sure you're copy of The Golem box set will be fine, although since there are 5 times the number of discs then you are statistically 5 times more likely to lose one than you would be if there was only 1.
[/quote

maybe the golem destroyed your disk! or maybe you should leave the drinking to us professionals. ahem.

------------------------------------------------
eyes burning
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  21:40:44  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Erm... The Golem disnae drink in Dumfries. You sure you're no thinking of Gus Mellor fae Cambuslang?
Go to Top of Page

bodajmac
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  22:52:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
am keen to know when the first golems make it to europe, bit early for it yet but mid next week seems a possibility (always assuming overseas orders have been posted!)...
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  03:29:35  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Almost snapped and bought a copy last night. Still got my browser on page 1 of 3, just to tease me when I woke up this afternoon. Someone has bid 1p on my Rolling Stones local crew t-shirt on ebay, and the question is... are they willing to meet the reserve price I ask of £50? I know I am going to regret not buying this eventually...
Go to Top of Page

misterwoe
= Cult of Ray =

Greece
675 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  04:45:41  Show Profile  Visit misterwoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i'll let the forum know as soon as my copy arrives in greece. that is, if i'm not too busy listening to it! hahahaah. i'm hoping wednesday at the latest. also hoping it comes to the house instead of the post office, so i don't have to walk down there and fork over another three euros. the lousy crooks!

------------------------------------------------
eyes burning
Go to Top of Page

kelladwella
= Cult of Ray =

Germany
729 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  05:10:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But from what I hear they need every cent they can get right now.
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  06:21:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My cards been charged, but my order still says pending :( I am getting antsy and worried

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His name is Dalton. He's got a degree in philosophy.
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  07:05:34  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
jediroller, thanks for the tracklist. iTunes didn't recognize the discs.

i'm finally giving it the first listen. i was tempted at first to say "this song sounds straight off Oddballs" etc, but that's lame. it's the Golem. it sounds like it's from the Golem.

it does, however, make me think of catholics albums in that it's always surprising how he can keep churning out great tunes. i remember being nervous when BLD/DW came out because i was worried i might be disappointed with them, but my fears were laid to rest a minute into California Bound. same with the Golem. it fits my ears.

is there another "rock version" of this coming out eventually? would that just be cutting out the reprises/in-betweeners?

-----------------------
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
910 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  07:43:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, here's a tracklist from April 2008, though i dont know if it will be the same, if the versions of the songs will be the same, or which version is used for some songs. I hope for the rock album (Oh How I Wish I Could Stay) will given a few extra verses/choruses

1. I AM THE MAHARAL
2. THE CONJURING
3. MAKANUJO
4. MEET ME AT THE GHETTO GATES
5. STARS
6. THE OBEDIENT SERVANT
7. MIRIAM AND FLORIAN
8. (OH I WISH I COULD) STAY
9. THE FLOWER SONG
10. CUSTOM ALL THE WAY
11. BAD NEWS
12. ASTAROTH
13. THE WORD
14. YOU'RE GONNA PAY
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  07:45:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
got mine here in New Jersey I mean here on Pitcairn Island and I'm listening to the live performance first. Dare I say some jitters can be heard in Bad News. VERY EXCITING!
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  07:59:52  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the live disc(s) is 33 tracks. i haven't listened to it yet...

-----------------------
Go to Top of Page

soundofataris
= Cult of Ray =

USA
715 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  08:12:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really dig the brown paper wrapper with seal. To avoid ripping it open and to keep the coolness, I used my penknife to just cut a slit on the bottom back so I can just slide the book with CDs in and out.

This release is great

---------------------------------------
i try to be mallory but i'm still skippy
Go to Top of Page

jediroller
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1718 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  08:13:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If anyone finds / can work out a tracklisting for the live discs, that would be appreciated...

"Les Blackolero, y sont forts en sacramant" - Czar | 06/26/2007 | 20:10:34

free music | Blackolero | Frank Black & Pixies Tributes
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  08:39:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by soundofataris

I really dig the brown paper wrapper with seal. To avoid ripping it open and to keep the coolness, I used my penknife to just cut a slit on the bottom back so I can just slide the book with CDs in and out.

I did the same thing

nerd fist bump
Go to Top of Page

Nate in the PDX
- FB Fan -

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  08:43:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Big Plan has always been to have my first exposure to this music be as the movie soundtrack... but when the gorgeous package from The Bureau arrived last night, my laptop (the only DVD viewing device in my home) crapped out! Alas... I'm in the office today and considering sequestering myself in a conference room with a projector for a few hours for a private viewing.

Will be trying to get my laptop back up this afternoon. Having avoided the leaked music as much as possible to this point, and having waited so long for its production to be complete, I am thrilled to be *this close* to experiencing this project in full bloom.

It was awfully close thing... my copy is numbered #435 out of 500.

Let me tell you, it's a silly fanboy feeling, but it's an electric feeling to have Black Francis' signature in this beautiful thing I own.
Go to Top of Page

pot
> Teenager of the Year <

Iceland
3909 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  08:48:08  Show Profile  Visit pot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I take it it is sold out now then?

Does it necessarily imply that you got the nth copy if that is what is says, because he might have signed them all, stuck them in a box in any order. It could be that they are being sent out randomly...

Edited by - pot on 02/19/2010 08:50:18
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  08:53:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I removed the cover, it looks more tome like that way

besides, the cover is the only flimsy feeling thing about it as far as it being an object
Go to Top of Page

soundofataris
= Cult of Ray =

USA
715 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  08:57:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danjersey

I removed the cover, it looks more tome like that way

besides, the cover is the only flimsy feeling thing about it as far as it being an object

think I'll copy you. Nerd fistbump.

---------------------------------------
i try to be mallory but i'm still skippy
Go to Top of Page

FrequencyOfGlow
- FB Fan -

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  09:45:41  Show Profile  Visit FrequencyOfGlow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just came in the mail. I don't know how I got it into my head that the book itself would be huge. I was expecting a much larger package. #73 of 500.

Now to wait until after work is done to embark on my BF/FB first-listening ritual. Phones off. Herbs. Enjoyment!
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  10:43:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IceManCometh

Huh. I ordered right away last Friday and still haven't received it. Oh well.

And I just doublechecked the order. It, too, says pending, like someone pointed out before. If it doesn't arrive tomorrow I'm going to be pissed.

That was me who is still 'pending'. And I'm only one state away from Oregon! I'm going to rush home on my lunch break right now and hope it's magically there...this is TORTURE!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His name is Dalton. He's got a degree in philosophy.
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

IceManCometh
- FB Fan -

58 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  11:00:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, the people in neighboring states received theirs yesterday---I'm in North Carolina---so I'm assuming it's not a geographical thing. Maybe I should have chosen the "passenger pigeon" shipping option.
Go to Top of Page

danjersey
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
2787 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  11:10:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so I listened to all four CDs (yeah, my schedule is pretty open) and am now interested in watching the film. The studio tracks sound great and take you through various moods like any successful album would, no hickups.

The Live performance (as I'm recalling from my first and only listening) is a whole different thing. You can hear the theater and at times the music is down right menacing. I think it's EDF who serves as an MC between scenes and that adds an almost high school musical full of twisted geniuses kind of quality to it.

I'm sure I'll have more to add (whether anyone cares or not)

I just spent four hours doing various tasks around the apt with der golem playing in the background, and feel like I haven't even scratched the surface.
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  11:35:01  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
2 arrived in Seattle on 2/18. Just sayin', to those 1 state away from OR.

sminki pinki
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000