New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
912 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  17:29:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know this is a silly little thread, but perhaps it'll be an amusing or interesting one. After the end of the nashville era charles has been releasing some of the best music of his career, as evident by christmass and bluefinger. I'm curious which batch of songs you guys prefer, the christmass songs or the bluefinger songs.
I'm not sure i can choose right now... In my mind its really
Gyaneshwar, Don't Get Me Wrong, Demon Girl, Radio Lizards and She's My Way vs. Captain Pasty, Threshold Apprehension, Test Pilot Blues, Tight Black Rubber, Discoteque, Can't Break a Heart, and She Took all the money and virginia reel.
Gyaneshwar (a telecaster version), Don't Get Me Wrong and Virginia Reel surely would've been welcome additions to bluefinger in my opinion.
DISCUSS i think

houstonguthrie
- FB Fan -

187 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  17:35:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love them all - but to not be wishy washy and give a definitive answer I gotta say BLUEFINGER

however - I'm still waiting for the studio version of Dead Man's Curve that was recorded in Houston around the time that Freddy Fender passed

I think when that thing comes out it's going to be a monster because when he played it live with the full band on that FM/RM tour it just absolutely floored me

maybe it'll be a b-side somewhere along the way cuz it sort of fell in between the two - studio wise
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
912 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  17:43:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the studio one was on the proto version of his site i believe, maybe someone will share it?
Go to Top of Page

houstonguthrie
- FB Fan -

187 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  18:55:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FBC - you were always my favorite member - you know that right?
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
912 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  18:57:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
huh?
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2007 :  19:00:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My favorite songs from the 2 albums are Don't Get Me Wrong and Lolita.
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  01:54:53  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I enjoy Bluefinger more, but I do love the xmass new songs. They feel more like demos (xmass) - I almost wonder if a couple will end up Grand Duchy songs - Don't Get Me Wrong and Demon Girl sound more similar to Fort Wayne than any of his other stuff.

The xmass songs feel like all halcyon-y. Written at a good time in life, you know? In love, no more worries about money forever. Very content with life and confident songs.

Qu'ils aillent se faire foutre <-- yeah, what he said.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  03:08:26  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bluefinger just shades it for me, but only because it's packed full of new(ish) songs compared to Christmass, but I enjoy Don't Get Me Wrong (and Fort Wayne) more than any Bluefinger song.

quote:
Originally posted by houstonguthrie

FBC - you were always my favorite member - you know that right?

Hey! Is it you who keeps pinching my boxer shorts from our washing line? Dude, it ain't funny. Please stop. Have you ever had to go to work wearing some frilly knickers two sizes two small?!!

If it's not you, my apologies.
Here's Dead Man's Curve from BlackFrancis.net. It's just Frank, no band, but still cool: http://www.sendspace.com/file/29ar0q
Go to Top of Page

Active Duck
~ Abstract Brain ~

United Kingdom
413 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  03:52:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The new songs on christmass are infinitely more exciting to me than anything on bluefinger. Bluefinger just sounds so straightforward to my ears.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 :  07:40:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weird. I never thought I'd agree with that but you're right, even though I seldem play Christmass and have played Bluefinger til... my finger went blue.

VoVat
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  03:09:25  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm going to go against the general consensus here and say I prefer Christmass, especially the new songs on it. "Gyaneshwar," "Demon Girl," and "Radio Lizards" were some of Frank's best in some time, and I was kind of disappointed that Bluefinger didn't continue along the same lines.

"If you doze much longer, then life turns to dreaming. If you doze much longer, then dreams turn to nightmares."
Go to Top of Page

lonely persuader
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
488 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  02:46:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bluefinger
Go to Top of Page

debaserrr
- FB Fan -

121 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2007 :  13:35:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
both

"The arc of triumph!"
Go to Top of Page

Jose Jones
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2007 :  13:40:57  Show Profile  Visit Jose Jones's Homepage  Reply with Quote
for me it comes down to "she's my way" vs "lolita."

i think it's SMW by a pube.

-----------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2007 :  13:43:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I trim so I wouldn't know.

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  07:57:21  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe I'm missing the bus on Christmass. The new songs range from good to great for me, but all the older songs played solo, while an interesting departure, just doesn't do much for me. Bluefinger on the other hand...

I love this part... Yeah, we did it!
Go to Top of Page

Chip Away Boy
= Cult of Ray =

914 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  11:52:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lot of the new songs on Christmass are quite charming - indeed.

Frank should have put the SSMVGD recording of Pan-American Highway on that!
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  04:05:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find it too hard to compare the two. If there was a studio album full of She's My Way's, Don't Get Me Wrong's and Dead Man's Curve's it would certainly give Bluefinger a run for it's money.

Since Christmass is mainly live tracks I'll go for Bluefinger, but I hope FB returns to do a studio album and take it from where Christmass left off.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

The Marsist
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
730 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  10:03:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
love the two. but its gotta be bluefinger. i dont really listen to the older tracks on christmass, mediocre versions of great songs. bluefinger is definitly the more consistant of the two.

but then again....Demon Girl.

Art is the child of Nature; yes, her darling child, in whom we trace the features of the mother's face, her aspect and her attitude.
-Beck

Go to Top of Page

mr.biscuitdoughhead
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1729 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  11:53:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i like them both but i'd have to say bluefinger over christmass. maybe if those live tracks had been left off cos i've already heard those songs a million times so it just seems like filler to me.

How is it D?
Go to Top of Page

Chip Away Boy
= Cult of Ray =

914 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  12:32:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr.biscuitdoughhead

i like them both but i'd have to say bluefinger over christmass. maybe if those live tracks had been left off cos i've already heard those songs a million times so it just seems like filler to me.

How is it D?

but on bluefinger, frank says he's "all killer - no filler"

how do you explain that? does that only apply to black francis and not frank black? elaborate.
Go to Top of Page

mr.biscuitdoughhead
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1729 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  13:16:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chip Away Boy

quote:
Originally posted by mr.biscuitdoughhead

How is it D?

but on bluefinger, frank says he's "all killer - no filler"

how do you explain that? does that only apply to black francis and not frank black? elaborate.

okay fine. bluefinger is an album and christmass is a compilation and they are incomparable.

how's that?

You're the bees knees but so am I.
Go to Top of Page

debaserrr
- FB Fan -

121 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  14:58:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i LOVE the live songs, it is a compilation, of nice dry solo live versions, with these really sweet goodies inbetween. what a cool album

"The arc of triumph!"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000