Un Chien Andalou - short film download
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  13:34:10  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Free download at archive.org:

http://www.archive.org/details/ChienAndalou

I haven't checked it out myself yet, so I'm not sure if the quality is any good.

Cheers,
1c

bokey
- FB Fan -

2 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  19:32:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My brother said this was probaly shown at UMass in some class or hall or something before Frank went to Puerto Rico.I wouldn't have come up with that but it sounds likely.
Go to Top of Page

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  00:33:38  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Someone cares! Yeah!
Go to Top of Page

Philomath
- FB Fan -

23 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  04:12:48  Show Profile  Visit Philomath's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"LE Chien Andalou"

How terrible is wisdom when it gives no pleasure to the wise
Go to Top of Page

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  09:15:05  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am Le ... Chien!
Go to Top of Page

Nick
- FB Fan -

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  13:33:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Un Chien Andalou" is the correct title. A very cool film with some unsettling images.
Go to Top of Page

bokey
- FB Fan -

2 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  17:14:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's funny because me and my bro were listening to this and trying to figure the title out.Neither one of us speaks French but fortunately he knew that chien meant dog and I've been to Spain so it all worked out.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  07:39:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jossip.

Friday Flicks
UN CHIEN ANDALOU: WHICH IS ACTUALLY FRENCH FOR 'SALVADOR DALI FRIGHTENS US'

Ever heard people throw around famous directors’ names and think
“What if there was a way to make short, pithy references to their
cinematic masterpieces without actually having to sit through
“Battleship Potemkin?” Fortunately, now there is! We’ve
dispatched Intern Anastasia to brave the subtitles—and the
pretentious clerks at Kim’s Video—so you can sound cultured at
dinner parties.

Un Chien Andalou is a surrealist short film from 1928, directed by
Luis Bunuel and written by Bunuel and Salvador Dali. It’s definitely
the best-known surrealist short film there is [Ed: Which, admittedly,
doesn’t say very much
] having been referenced on both an episode
of The Simpsons and in a Pixies song.*

And there is, indeed, eyeball-slicing! In the very first scene, in fact,
we see Bunuel holding open a woman’s eye and slitting it in half with a razor. Then, “eight years later,”
there’s a transvestite riding a bicycle. Don’t ask why, surrealists never made any fucking sense.

After that, we’re in an apartment with a woman and man, and the man seems to have ants coming out of a
hole in his palm. They stare at it, like “Hmm, that’s weird!” but then stop caring in favor of staring out the
window. instead. In the street, there’s a blind woman poking a severed hand with her cane. A policeman
shows up, puts the hand in a box [Ed: Insert obligatory “It’s my hand in a box!” joke *here*] and hands it to
back to the woman. She immediately starts hugging the package, which seems natural, because really, who
doesn’t like getting a hand-in-a-box? Answer: No one.

Then the woman gets hit by a car. No particular reason, mind you, this kind of shit just happens where they’re
from, you know? Anyways, apparently finding this totally hot, the guy in the window turns to the woman next
to him and tries to make out with her. But she (understandably!) runs away and they have a wacky chase
scene around the apartment.

Eventually realizing he’s probably not getting any, the guy finally gives up and consoles himself by diligently
pulling these ropes that are apparently attached to the tablets of the Ten Commandments, two priests, and
two pianos (complete with dead donkeys inside). It’s a totally great way to deal with rejection! After all, who
needs heavy drinking, incessant crying and horrible pop music when you’ve got rotting equines?

So after that, there’s a scene where apartment guy shoots his doppelganger, and somehow grows the
woman’s armpit hair on his face. At this point, evidently she’s had enough, so she runs out to the beach and
meets another man. They walk along the beach happily, but then, “In Spring,” they’re buried dead in the sand.
Fin? We’re not sure, but we’re definitely getting “antsy.”

If you want to watch it for yourself it’s on youtube here and here.

*You know, “Debaser,” where Frank Black is all “got me a movie/I want you to know/slicing up eyeballs/I want you to know”?
Yeah, that one.

NOTE: This knowledge will come in handy if you’re trying to pick up NYU freshmen. You can be the one to tell them a)
everyone knows about the Pixies, and b) they’re idiots for not knowing about Un Chien Andalou. Their hipster street cred and
self-esteem thus effectively undermined, they will then (probably) sleep with you.

Oct 26, 2007

Go to Top of Page

bobo plenty
- FB Fan -

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  20:45:51  Show Profile  Visit bobo plenty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The title "Un Chien Andalou" is a reference to Federico Garcia Lorca (author and poet) whom Bunel and Dali were mocking as an "Andalucian Dog" (Lorca was from Granada in the Andalucian province of Spain). I don't recall what the falling out was over between the three but Lorca was killed a few years later during the Spanish Civil War. The film itself is shown in every entry level film studies class as well as some contemporary spanish literature classes (saw it in both). On a related note, LACMA (Los Angeles County Museum of Art) has a Dali art and film exhibit that opened two weeks ago and runs through January. I haven't see it yet but it looks to be quite entertaining.
Go to Top of Page

Levitated
= Cult of Ray =

Chile
652 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  18:50:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theonecontender

Free download at archive.org:

http://www.archive.org/details/ChienAndalou

I haven't checked it out myself yet, so I'm not sure if the quality is any good.

Cheers,
1c

The file is no longer available =(
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunny
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
395 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  16:33:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The title "Un Chien Andalou" is a reference to Federico Garcia Lorca

Interesting. According to a library book I read about 16 years ago at college (thanks to 'Debaser'), and before I had even seen the film myself -- long before the Interweb was widely available, which allowed me to see the film about 10 years later -- Bunel himself said that the title had no meaning whatsoever, and that (long-remembered quote) "we pissed ourselves laughing" about the fact that it had no meaning.

Edited by - DruggedBunny on 10/31/2007 16:37:43
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunny
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
395 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  16:37:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The file is no longer available =(

Weird... it says it was pulled "due to issues* with the item's content"...

[ * 'Issue' is the business world's new euphemism for 'problem'. ]

Regardless, it's also available here...

http://www.archive.org/details/Lu_sBu_uelySalvadorDal_UnChienAudalou

It's worth watching at least once anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Levitated
= Cult of Ray =

Chile
652 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  22:12:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah that's what it says, I was wrong.

Thanks for the link DruggedBunny!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000