Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1066 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2007 :  09:32:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got it!

I really enjoy Julian Clark's childlish and expressionist touch of the cover and of the inner illustrations as well, the hand written lyrics in the booklet and the 'trompe l'oeil' effect of the sleeve. It works pretty well!

Of course I already hear coming the complaints about the small carboard format but it's a leitmotive around here I guess...

I enjoy the whole thing.
And the subtle new mixes of the songs!

Thanks Black family.

++++

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1656 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2007 :  09:35:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
subtle new mixes? Do the songs sound any different than from the leak?

The Truth Is Out There
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1066 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2007 :  09:58:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe yes... Or maybe not!

++++
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2007 :  00:19:00  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You gotta admit though, the packaging IS annoying... I took the CD off of it and put it in a jewel case.
I like Jason's artwork quite a bit. The two-headed monster is pretty cool.

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
Go to Top of Page

lonely persuader
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
488 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2007 :  01:11:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
packaging smackaging. This packaging thing really bugs me. For people who are meant to be into music as a art form and all that, its amazing. I could'nt give a fuck if it came in a shoe box, you just want to get it into the CD player. The music and lyrics are what this is about.

Actually it would be better if it came in a shoe box as it would prevent some spice girl fan picking it up by mistake and diluting my enjoyment, as i would be forced to admit that i had something more in common with them. I already feel bad that so much of our DNA is common.

marketing smarketing.

Go on give me the tired line that the packaging is also art. A tangible grounding for something so ethereal as the concept of music is useful. Bull.

I'm being intolerant this morning. Don't mind me.

Edited by - lonely persuader on 09/04/2007 01:17:13
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1066 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2007 :  03:57:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lonely persuader

I'm being intolerant this morning. Don't mind me.

Welcome to the forum!

++++
Go to Top of Page

jimmy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
876 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2007 :  12:42:17  Show Profile  Visit jimmy's Homepage  Reply with Quote

All I've seen is the album cover on amazon.com. I knew not to expect anything good, but this is a new low.

If Toby Keith did a benefit album for autism, that could easily be the cover.

I know that the 4AD/v23 artwork was a hard act to follow, but almost all of FB's record sleeves since 1996 have been gay &/or lame &/or ugly.

check out my friend's paintings at http://myspace.com/landspeedsong
Go to Top of Page

Triakel
- FB Fan -

119 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2007 :  14:38:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe the technical term is "galambugly."
Go to Top of Page

lonely persuader
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
488 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  02:30:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy

All I've seen is the album cover on amazon.com. I knew not to expect anything good, but this is a new low.

I know that the 4AD/v23 artwork was a hard act to follow, but almost all of FB's record sleeves since 1996 have been gay &/or lame &/or ugly.

Your friend is gay
Go to Top of Page

gyaneshwar
- FB Fan -

194 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  06:26:23  Show Profile  Visit gyaneshwar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've only seen the cover art online as well, and I don't think it looks all that bad. I don't really agree with you, Jimmy, but you made me laugh, and that's what's important.

-------

I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6118 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  07:19:04  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lonely persuader

quote:

Your friend is gay

haha!

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1066 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  13:00:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Frank Black should stop releasing albums every year and focus on his albums' covers, cause that's what rock'n roll is all about for modern kids!

Yeah!

++++
Go to Top of Page

lonely persuader
= Cult of Ray =

Ireland
488 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  01:37:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
seconded.

my record collection looks so beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  05:43:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did anybody get the poster that came with the online Cooking Vinyl (pre)order? What is it?

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

Hatchetman
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  03:47:45  Show Profile  Visit Hatchetman's Homepage  Click to see Hatchetman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

You gotta admit though, the packaging IS annoying... I took the CD off of it and put it in a jewel case.
I like Jason's artwork quite a bit. The two-headed monster is pretty cool.

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."

I would say that the 'two headed monster' is a visual representation of 'your mouth into mine'

Ade

As the air conditioner hummed....
Go to Top of Page

The King of Siam
- FB Fan -

Sweden
21 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  07:47:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got mine today! It looks and fells wonderful. Been waiting for this album since i first heard about it in April. And downloaded it at the same time. But the real thing is the best!

Worth waiting for...

"Turn my f..king headphones up!"
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3426 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  02:31:21  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
bought my copy today.
like the packaging a lot.
i like how the cd has no sticker on the front saying 'lead singer of seminal rock band the pixies' or somesuch.

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2007 :  14:24:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Took a quick look in a couple of music stores today, couldn't find it! It has been released over here, hasn't it?!

Anyone for knob Marmite?
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2007 :  14:31:50  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl

Took a quick look in a couple of music stores today, couldn't find it! It has been released over here, hasn't it?!

Anyone for knob Marmite?

It's really thin - maybe you couldn't see it. Then again, Equatorial Guinea has a slow mail system from what I hear.

Qu'ils aillent se faire foutre <-- yeah, what he said.
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5453 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2007 :  14:47:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought it yesterday. The store had some under "Black Francis" and some others under "Black, Frank" about 6 inches from each other. $9.99.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2007 :  21:08:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like these cardboard sleeves and I think they're an improvement over digipaks. While digipaks today don't seem to be made with those fragile teeth anymore that made up the circular thing that holds the CD in place--those things that broke so easily and often 10 years ago and left you with a screwed up digipak that no longer held the CD properly--the improved design still feels vulnerable. Much more durable, for sure, but still susceptible to being broken and to manufacturing flaws like any other piece of plastic. A sleeve that the disc just slides into is better. Not much can happen--in terms of hurting their functionality--to those that you can't fix with scotch tape.

Some complain of scratches, but I don't have this experience. My Frank Black Francis discs that I bought three years ago, played often, and never transplanted to a jewel case still look fine.
Go to Top of Page

kfs
= Cult of Ray =

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  05:44:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really like the handwritten lyrics!
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2007 :  22:27:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kfs

I really like the handwritten lyrics!

Maybe you could read them to me, kfs. FB's writing kills my eyes. Still, I'm grateful he included them. It's my silly fantasy that he did it because I made a post on here, begging him to do so.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

quadrophenic
- FB Fan -

16 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  07:07:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well...any time I get a CD in this kind of packaging, I copy it to a CD-R and keep the CD-R in a jewel case, and put the original on my shelf. I got tired of rebuying CDs that got scratched up from sliding in and out of the cardboard.

These sleeves are NOT more durable than digipaks... As far as paper-quality, they're pretty much the same...but they do LESS to protect your disc. The "scratch" problem is the most obvious... But if you're the type of person who occasionally ends up with a CD on the floor of their house or car (in my case, the latter), these cases are virtually worthless when it comes to keeping the CD--how should I say it--unbroken. Someone gets into your car and before you can say "Hey grab that CD off the floor before you..." It's "CRUNCH" and you've lost a CD. (It's happened to me at least three times.) The digipaks, with their plastic--even if the teeth are gone--at least provide a little support, and any crunching you hear is likely just the plastic and not your music.

Of course, personally, I prefer the jewel-cases. Best protection you can get for your CD, and I don't know why the current fashion is to avoid them...

I really dig the BlueFinger art. I just wish it'd been in a jewel case.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  17:31:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quadrophenic
Of course, personally, I prefer the jewel-cases. Best protection you can get for your CD, and I don't know why the current fashion is to avoid them...

Some labels avoid jewel cases for environmental reasons.

Sony/BMG have adopted a no-jewel case policy for their CDs for that reason.
Go to Top of Page

johnnyribcage
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  18:03:28  Show Profile  Visit johnnyribcage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got mine a couple days after it came out, but I actually haven't listened to it. I hung it up on the wall next the rest of my music collection, which I have also never listened to. I don't even own a stereo, but I do have some lovely track lighting in my den.

I love this part... Yeah, we did it!
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  07:25:34  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Jewel cases look a lot better on the shelf, but they DO break quite easily.

As for Bluefinger in particular, you'd think an album inspired by a painter would have more visual art. The handwritten lyrics are cool, though.

"If you doze much longer, then life turns to dreaming. If you doze much longer, then dreams turn to nightmares."
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2452 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  09:37:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bear in mind that it might have been tricky reaching a settlement with Brood's estate.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  14:05:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I prefer digipaks. Best of both worlds. I'd like to get some blank ones and get friends to design covers for me (ones that can draw)

Gatefold cardboard like FBF, 93-03 and Bluefinger aren't safe and jewel cases are just cheap and nasty.

Shame that Brood artwork is missing but anyway it's a nice touch that Bluefinger is a family affair.

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  14:57:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what is the cost differential between jewel cases and digipaks and gatefolds? it would seem digis are the most expensive because you have to print/fold/assemble including glue? it's not like you could get a blank digipak and run it through a printer, ot could you? gatefolds seem cheapest, however, you get the least amount of information. i like jewel case inserts with multi pages. a cd single in a full jewel case with only a single piece of 2-sided paper seems a waste. ie. hang on to your ego. i tried to get the digi edition for this reason, oh well....

The waxworks were an immensely eloquent dissertation on the wonderful ordinariness of mankind.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  23:16:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This question--the question of the financial burden of CD packaging--came up on the Matador Records forum awhile back and someone from the label responded that digipak packaging is more expensive than jewel case packaging. If you think about it, most seriously low-budget record releases are in jewel cases. It's mostly major labels and large independents (like a Matador) who issue many CDs in digipaks.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6118 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  08:39:17  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders

I prefer digipaks. Best of both worlds. I'd like to get some blank ones and get friends to design covers for me (ones that can draw)

Gatefold cardboard like FBF, 93-03 and Bluefinger aren't safe and jewel cases are just cheap and nasty.

Shame that Brood artwork is missing but anyway it's a nice touch that Bluefinger is a family affair.

where can you get those?

Go to Top of Page

Tiny Team Concerts
- FB Fan -

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  14:12:38  Show Profile  Visit Tiny Team Concerts's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can order blank white Digipaks from www.discmakers.com.

--
Tiny Team Concerts
"Good music for nice people"
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6118 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  12:39:15  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
you need to order at least 200, that's a bit too much for me.
But thanks any way ttc! Do you know another site trobrianders?

Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  10:39:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No luck. I searchd on 'blank digipak' but all sell in bulk. There was this one. Packs of 50 for £26
http://www.rivierapublishing.co.uk/acatalog/Digipaks.html

billgoodman

Netherlands
6118 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  13:29:51  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thanks!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000