Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

TheTame
- FB Fan -

6 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  13:55:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no other way round this but to come out and say it.

I was at the show at the Shepherds Bush Empire on Sunday 07/15/2007 in London. But some miracle, I managed to get myself and my buddy into the aftershow party at the level 1 bar.

To cut a long story short, basically Frank was (understandably, cause we were very drunk) ignoring us flat, even though we thought we were behaving.

You have got to understand that Frank has been my idol since I was 12 years old. I come from South Africa and never ever thought that I would get the chance to see him perform, let alone meet him!

In the end, after one approach too many, Frank pushed my friend away with a look of disgust on his face. This (and this is the crux of the matter), sent me into a flying rage and I starting screaming at him, calling him words I guess I can't repeat on a public forum.

I was just so outraged that he would do such a thing when all we wanted to do was thank him for shaping our lives and writing music that matters. 10 seconds, max.

I am now so disgusted in the way that I acted (it was completely out of character) that I need to apologise to him - otherwise I shall never be able to forgive myself or listen to his music again. And seriously, I only own Pixies and Frank albums. And some Hendrix and the Who.

Please, I don't need any of you telling me what an idiot I am etc etc.

I just need help in contacting him, to apologise.
Can anybody help me, please.

Always debasing,
Alan

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  14:03:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Alan. Are you sure your friend wasn't actually annoying him? Obviously it's unpleaseant to be snubbed by a hero, but there may have been good reason. In any case, I'm sure Frank would accept you're apology, you're obviously a big fan and regret the incident.

"I hate how the reptile dreams it's a mammal. Scaley monster: be what you are!!" - Erebus.

Edited by - Carl on 07/17/2007 14:04:12
Go to Top of Page

TheTame
- FB Fan -

6 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  14:08:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Carl,

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I think we both must have been annoying him in the end, although as I mentioned, we were behaving, if not a little incoherant.

This is mainly why I feel so bad. I was just crushed seeing the look in my friend's eyes the instant it happeded and under any other circumstances, would have reacted far more, uh, patiently.

It's just not the way I had imagined it would go down.

Thanks again,
Alan

ps: any way you can think of that I could get hold of him by? I am not a psycho or stalker freak. Just very sorry. Sho.
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  14:17:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That, sir, is quite an unfortunate story. I am cringing...I thought I did some stupid things...but that is highly regrettable. I don't mean to sound harsh, but that is one thing I'm so glad happened to someone other than myself. Ewww, ewww, ewww. You fucked up. BUT, the world has not folded up, the sun still makes it's daily pass, and Frank will still be Frank. And he will always remember those two guys that night in London. Hahahahaha! Sorta funny.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His name is Dalton. He's got a degree in philosophy.
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

TheTame
- FB Fan -

6 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  14:19:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha.
Yeah, sad but true.
Never thought I would be that guy though...
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  14:25:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I doubt you'll manage to get his contact information through this site, TheTame, but he does read this forum from time to time, and may read this thread. He may even respond here.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  15:02:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it's definitely possible he'll read this for himself. I wouldn't worry too much about it. It sounds like Frank was pretty drunk from the reviews I've read...he'll probably not even remember a thing!

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  15:07:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
try to draw some positives from the experience. you know, like...... actually, there are no positives. hahaha

"Idiot" is just her sig.
Go to Top of Page

mr.biscuitdoughhead
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1729 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  15:33:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well he met Frank... and, um, actually, never mind.

"We do beleive it ends right here."
Go to Top of Page

Miss Thing
- FB Fan -

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  00:27:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The thing is, you and your friend actually had no business being at the afterparty. Afterparties are for actual acquaintances and business associates of the artist. So to show up obliterated to a private party and attempt, as a complete stranger, to express deep heartfelt feelings while slurring and wobbling, is innapropriate, selfish, and extremely annoying to this, and most other, artists. I understand its very embarrassing now, but now you know. Everyone else, take note. AFTERPARTIES ARE NOT FOR THE FANS.
Go to Top of Page

Miss Thing
- FB Fan -

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  00:45:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...UNLESS THEY'RE FOR THE FANS! XO
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  00:51:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well TheTame, you can now consider your apology received.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  01:45:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Miss Thing is FB's wife, TheTame.

Congratulations, by the way, Violet. If it's a boy, will you let Charles name it Herman?

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  05:17:23  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Pff, that's why I never want to meet Frank.
Kurt Kobain was right about hiding when he could meet him.
Frank is such a hero that I would be very embarrassed if I would piss him off.
Though I wouldn't be acting drunk and crazy in front of him.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  06:04:16  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
TheTame, if I were you I'd send the King une bonne bouteille and some charcuterie du Massif Central.

an undisclosed number of visitors can't be wrong
Go to Top of Page

jediroller
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1718 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  06:50:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Send him some biltong. Everybody loves biltong.

"Les Blackolero, y sont forts en sacramant" - Czar | 06/26/2007 | 20:10:34

free music | Blackolero | Frank Black & Pixies Tributes
Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  07:09:24  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
a little "poulet fermier" du Gers would be nice too, we know he loves it

btw, your story shows how ridiculous it is to get drunk before a gig... I never understood that

get drunk if you want, but not at a gig

pas de bras pas de chocolat
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1995 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  07:44:14  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cassandra is
your story shows how ridiculous it is to get drunk.

FYP
Go to Top of Page

Srisaket
= Cult of Ray =

Thailand
313 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  08:33:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should have hit him back
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  08:46:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For both our sakes, I keep a good distance from all my heroes. It's best that neither of us know if the other is an asshole.

Amen, a pen, a canal: enema
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  12:24:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
KCC: Master, forgive me for I have failed.
Poe: You have not failed no one Grasshopper, only your own ambition.

IceManCometh
- FB Fan -

58 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  15:09:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man, that sounds like some odd behavior. Then again, it's odd to even approach a stranger in the first place---whether that stranger happens to be "famous" or not. I guess I just don't get approaching singers and artists. Do you think they're going to want to be your friend or something? Yeah, I know, it was just to say, "I really like your music!" but that's kind of implied if you're there in the first place, right?

Now, if you want to chastise me for something, you can just point out that I took three minutes out of my day to do something almost as equally odd: post on a fan board.
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  15:46:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's nothing wrong approaching someone you admire. But the time and place, which in this case proves the point, can cause an approach to be incredibly wrong. Not to mention unstable chemical side-effects knocking the whole thing out of whack.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His name is Dalton. He's got a degree in philosophy.
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

TheTame
- FB Fan -

6 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  16:23:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you MissThing for your stern comments.

I won't start with excuses as there is no justification for my actions.
Please may I ask that you show/convey my original post to Frank.
I don't even know if he noticed or remembered what I did, although I assume he did.
I sincerely wish that we can let this pass as a gross, drunken misjudgement.

With much gratitude and humility,
Alan

To the rest of you, thank you also for your comments. I have taken on board the insights which I have not previously considered or known, even though it was slim pickings. Special thanks though to Carl, TRANSMARINE, coastline, pixiestu and of course, MissThing.

Keep on debasing |m|,
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  00:56:23  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well, Frank once got drunk and bought the entire merchandisetable of the White Stripes, I'm sure he will understand. Did you buy any merchandise that night?

Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  04:23:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

Well, Frank once got drunk and bought the entire merchandisetable of the White Stripes, I'm sure he will understand. Did you buy any merchandise that night?

He did not! Is this a true story, billgoodman?

Go to Top of Page

PistoLaura
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  06:37:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Alan!
You're story got worse in the telling! Firstly, you had been given passes by Charlie so you weren't exactly blagging your way into a private party uninvited! A few of us witnessed the guy's icy-ness towards you, which was out of character within the context of the evening, we figured it might have been a case of mistaked identity... That doesn't excuse screaming unmentionables at him, but the incident did take place in the street- you're post suggests that you screamed at him in the bar; doesn't make it better but i'm sure you have mentally dwelled on it till its out of proportion... Everyone (else!) who met you realised you were a total sweety and you're outburst was not 'normal'... nor did you seem incredibly drunk... that's always an easy way of explaining ones way out of a sticky situation! You were highly emotional, though, and having the chance to meet someone you've followed for 14 years is a bizare situation... it's sad that it didn't 'go the way that you always imagined it would', but these things just don't. I know you must feel crap, but I think representing yourself as and utter psycho as you did above (!) is too harsh.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  06:46:53  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just when you thought all the good usernames had been taken... Here comes PistoLaura. Hi Laura!

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
Go to Top of Page

PistoLaura
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  06:47:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a thought....
I'm in no way dissing Pixies fans (I'm sure I would have been one too except I was 10 or 11 when they split), but I think one has to take care of bringing up the Pixies when Frank's not in that zone, ie, after presenting an audience with new material and a different direction its possible that he doesn't want to then be bombarded by pixie-love! And vice versa;
My boyfriend played a festival that the Pixies were headlining a while ago, and Frank was in proper rock star mode... understandably he wasn't expecting some kid in a punk band to approach him backstage to say how much he liked Honeycomb (which had just been released)... he left swiftly!
Go to Top of Page

PistoLaura
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  06:50:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

Just when you thought all the good usernames had been taken... Here comes PistoLaura. Hi Laura!

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."

Hi Denis!
And thank you!
Go to Top of Page

cptnpasty
- FB Fan -

Spain
151 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  07:41:56  Show Profile  Visit cptnpasty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
never ever approached anybody like that. i once bumped into all four of the pixies, before a gig in the mean fiddler. they were already right up there in my estimation, but i didn't say a thing - i'm always afraid of the above typr scenario...
Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  08:46:42  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oopsy.

Well that made for some uncomfortable reading.

Idiot.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  12:49:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi PistoLaura. Are you the girl from In The Time of My Ruin? Did Frank think you were so nice that he just had to date you?

PistoLaura
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  14:14:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders

Hi PistoLaura. Are you the girl from In The Time of My Ruin? Did Frank think you were so nice that he just had to date you?

hehehe, i wish! but that is 'my' song!!!!
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  14:26:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The girl from that song did post in this thread, but it surely wasn't PistoLaura.

Go to Top of Page

mr.biscuitdoughhead
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1729 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  14:28:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
coastline, how many times do i have to tell you? I'M NOT A GIRL!!!!!

"I'm in love with the world, through the eyes of a girl."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000