-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 I am a loser-please help re london aftershow party

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
TheTame Posted - 07/17/2007 : 13:55:44
There is no other way round this but to come out and say it.

I was at the show at the Shepherds Bush Empire on Sunday 07/15/2007 in London. But some miracle, I managed to get myself and my buddy into the aftershow party at the level 1 bar.

To cut a long story short, basically Frank was (understandably, cause we were very drunk) ignoring us flat, even though we thought we were behaving.

You have got to understand that Frank has been my idol since I was 12 years old. I come from South Africa and never ever thought that I would get the chance to see him perform, let alone meet him!

In the end, after one approach too many, Frank pushed my friend away with a look of disgust on his face. This (and this is the crux of the matter), sent me into a flying rage and I starting screaming at him, calling him words I guess I can't repeat on a public forum.

I was just so outraged that he would do such a thing when all we wanted to do was thank him for shaping our lives and writing music that matters. 10 seconds, max.

I am now so disgusted in the way that I acted (it was completely out of character) that I need to apologise to him - otherwise I shall never be able to forgive myself or listen to his music again. And seriously, I only own Pixies and Frank albums. And some Hendrix and the Who.

Please, I don't need any of you telling me what an idiot I am etc etc.

I just need help in contacting him, to apologise.
Can anybody help me, please.

Always debasing,
Alan
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
debaserrr Posted - 08/14/2007 : 21:36:27
i would just hug and run

"The arc of triumph!"
Blackhead Posted - 08/13/2007 : 22:03:37
FB's treatment to fans can be hot or cold, from what I can tell... Kind of like many of his fans are toward the body of his work. lol
debaserrr Posted - 08/13/2007 : 17:39:49
i want to meet frank black francis... hes seems so wise....

"The arc of triumph!"
raasclaat Posted - 08/13/2007 : 00:17:13
I originally read this thread from end to beginning so I didnt see the first post...however
(delayed reaction) This thread is GOLD...The funniest thing I have read on this forum.

Oh my, I would hate to be you, TheTame hahah. And there I was beating myself up for not having anything intelligent to say to Charles, and not chatting a bit longer to Violet.
Thanks mate! made my day.
raasclaat Posted - 08/12/2007 : 23:22:05
quote:
Originally posted by rodney

Sometimes though really interesting things happen when you approach a musician that you respect. I introduced myself to one of my favorite artists several years ago, and now we're friends. His girlfriend invited my wife and I to dinner with them last week.

true. I did get to meet and hang out with one of my faves , Neil Halstead (from Slowdive & Mojave 3) . He came back to a friends house after a gig, we all sat, chatted and drank.

I havent had a bad run come to think of it for living in old isolated Australia. I met Billy Crystal earlier this year too!
mr.biscuitdoughhead Posted - 08/12/2007 : 19:12:29
This thread makes me jealous. I wanna meet Frank!

It's 1969, okay.
raasclaat Posted - 08/12/2007 : 19:06:38
My meeting with Frank was brief enough in Amsterdam and something I re-think.

At the time i felt bad about interrupting him with his family (twice because at first i didnt have my camera). But I got the photo, just wish i got the whole family in, and wish I could have had a chat. But that kind of situation is not natural anyway, so what the hell are you going to say. Nothing is more pointless then telling him about how much his music has influenced you, you would rather say something that gets something back...but anyway.
Violet was sweet chatting to us briefly before my guilt set in and i ran off....Looking back, i shouldnt have felt bad, its been my dream to meet Frank, but more-so in a conversational manner.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bolsak/Holland2007/photo#5085255382511017170

mikaelp75 Posted - 08/07/2007 : 00:41:49
quote:
Originally posted by misterwoe

Frank Black ROCKS!!! And he's a strange feller. ha ha. YES!!!

------------------------------------------------
You're all a bunch of slaves!

Officially my favourite post ever.
misterwoe Posted - 08/06/2007 : 13:05:56
Frank Black ROCKS!!! And he's a strange feller. ha ha. YES!!!

------------------------------------------------
You're all a bunch of slaves!
debaserrr Posted - 08/05/2007 : 09:24:21
even after reading this i think the first/only thing i would do when i saw charles was give him a big ol' hug...

"The arc of triumph!"
treetime Posted - 07/26/2007 : 16:03:26
I wasn't there but, I would't worry about it, what is fan etiquette any way? Just some basic respect right.
Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo Posted - 07/26/2007 : 00:35:29
Meeting your heroes in your dreams is far more interesting and can provide new considerations.

Hey Frank ! Do you remember last time we meet in one of my dreams?
It was the night after this Toulouse gig in June. I was the guy in front of you with the camcorder, belly dancing all the show long.
During our meeting you told me a few things that really helped me out and reassured me... Then we hugged.

Thanks again for your kind words!

Oniricaly Yours.

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=gxtbJf5E9i4

++++
vanishing_spy Posted - 07/25/2007 : 16:39:12
I'm glad to hear everyone has the same anxiety about meeting heroes/celebs that I do. I think if Frank were ever a jerk to me I would hold a grudge and lose about 75% of my typical music rotation!

I had a chance to meet Frank one night in DC when he was touring for Cult of Ray. He was standing on the balcony with one his band members watching Johnny Polotsky (sp?) play and I was only about 15 feet from him. I was geeking and all of my friends were urging me to go say "hi" but...what was I really going to say? So I just stood there staring like an idiot.

you're so dark you're so strange
Ziggy Posted - 07/25/2007 : 04:49:01
Charles Normal, bless him, was happily giving out guitar advice. That red strat-a-like is a G+L. Fine guitars.
Stuart Posted - 07/25/2007 : 03:30:03
Man, never met Frank.... although I was very close to him at the 2001 Leadmill gig in Sheffield. Frank was putting his gear away and was literally a couple of metres away but i decided to leave him to get on with his stuff. Fuck, I wouldn't have known wat to say to him either and would have just made myself look like a blabbering dick.

Met Jannick Gers out of Iron Maiden once backstage at an Alice Cooper gig... was so drunk that it pretty much turned into something from Waynes World. I think all I managed was to say 'Man you guys rock.' My mate was stood drunkenly next to me and he was even more pathetic, coming out with 'Yeah, rock!' Then we walked away and that was that.

Chatting to Charles and Ding tho in Belgium was great... I was pretty drunk but not past the point of being embarrassing... those guys were chatting to us for a good half hour / hour... a very pleasant experience I have to say.

Meeting Frank though... well, it would be like meeting someone like Neil Young, Bowie or Robert Smith.. and I would just have to walk away to protect any illusions that could be shattered.

Oh... I once called Ryan Gigs a cock in a bar in Cardiff... but then again he is a cock. Vinnie Jones was there too and was being complete knob, but calling him a cock was out of the question.

Because your candle burned too bright, that I almost forgot it was twilight
Ziggy Posted - 07/25/2007 : 02:13:22
I believe so. "One of the Doctor Whos, the one with the curls".
Scarla O Posted - 07/25/2007 : 01:41:13
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy
He was telling one fan, a former U Mass student, not to be shy, cos he'd once seen Tom Baker in Birmingham, and was starstuck.

not the British Tom Baker?
rodney Posted - 07/24/2007 : 19:48:53
Album-wise, Some Stupid With a Flare Gun is my favorite Ass Ponys record. Wussy has a new one coming out in late August called Left For Dead that should be really great.

I know Anna a bit too. Nice girl.

This thread seems to have derailed into nicer territory!
Tiny Team Concerts Posted - 07/24/2007 : 09:22:19
I met Chuck and his wife/girlfriend (?) awhile back when they were visiting his daughter here in town. They kicked everybody's ass (no pun intended) at a rock & roll trivia night I was running at a local bar.

Nice folks all around, and I dug Wussy once I heard them.

Truth be told, it was his young daughter who was nailing all the harder and more obscure questions...

--
Tiny Team Concerts
"Good music for nice people"
coastline Posted - 07/24/2007 : 06:12:22
No, no, it was just funny is all. Your guy is way cooler -- he's even on the Wikipedia. If I were going to download some Ass Ponys or Wussy tunes from eMusic, what would you recommend?

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
rodney Posted - 07/24/2007 : 05:34:50
Oh. Sorry......
coastline Posted - 07/23/2007 : 15:27:08
I liked billgoodman's answer better.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
rodney Posted - 07/23/2007 : 15:07:23
No, it's a fella named Chuck Cleaver. Used to be in a band called Ass Ponys and now he's in a band called Wussy. You may not know of them. The critics seem to like them though. Nice guy and some of the best song writing I've ever heard.
billgoodman Posted - 07/23/2007 : 14:10:31
Is it Pauly Shore?

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
rodney Posted - 07/23/2007 : 09:25:37
Sometimes though really interesting things happen when you approach a musician that you respect. I introduced myself to one of my favorite artists several years ago, and now we're friends. His girlfriend invited my wife and I to dinner with them last week.
scruvs Posted - 07/22/2007 : 21:57:18
Prince sometimes invites everyone in the coliseum to his after parties. Sometimes he plays at them. I didn't know the location of the venue to which I was invited.

prozacrat Posted - 07/22/2007 : 21:35:06
I'm quite entertained by Frank's contribution to this thread.

"Wait. Hold on. This is where the Pixies draw the line. We don't do the beach ball thing." - Frank
that means soda Posted - 07/22/2007 : 21:34:27
Yeah unless I'm down in Africa and on the same safari as Frank Black, I won't talk to him. And, besides, I'd probably talk about lions or my safari hat.

I've never been famous, but I remember this time at my cousin's wedding. I could tell people were looking at me and their eyes sorta would stick on me. I'm not being an ego-maniac, or anything, but by the time we were all at tables eating dinner, I knew what was going on: I was handsome.
I think I had lost some baby fat that year, and I had about 10 aunts taking my picture and even had some 13 year old girls trying to hit on me (I was 17) that night. Sounds like fun (the attention I mean), but I tell you, once you realize why they're staring at you, it gets very weird and you sorta don't know what to do. Can't imagine a year of a hundred weddings where the same happens over and over. I assume I'd find a workaround, but I'm sorta glad I don't get handsome more than 3-4 times a year.

Montreal, October 1st 2002
PixieSteve Posted - 07/22/2007 : 17:28:14
you all have your depressive, cynical, indie types in mind when you talk about approaching rock stars. there are some who fucking love attention and being called out on the streets. not that FB falls neatly into either of these two groups.

"Idiot" is just her sig.
Zsolt G. Posted - 07/22/2007 : 16:33:05
Well this brings up a good point....as in, what sense is there talking to artist you like? They're basically like talking to a really sexy girl. There's nothing you can say they haven't heard already, and they've always got their guard up, cause they know that people want to tell them how pretty they are, and get them in the sack. I mean what the fuck does FB care if you tell him you totally dig surfer rosa. Everybody has had their tongues up his ass about the pixies for some time now.

I don't think it should be a new topic but I do wonder what actually IS a good rock star pick-up line.
TheTame Posted - 07/22/2007 : 15:13:45
yes it is funny...

i don't know what i regret more now - what i actually did (whatver it was in the end) or posting it on this site...
Ziggy Posted - 07/22/2007 : 14:43:28
I was at the aftershow, thanks to Jason Carter, who I'd interviewed earlier in the day [it'll be online soon, just waiting for clearance].

from a fan's point of view, i kept thinking not so much shyness, but just, what do you say apart from "great show/i like the new album" etc? so it was nice to shake hands with fb, but i was happier keeping away. Later on I jokingly said "when are you going to play guitar again?" , which, on reflection, was probably rather rude, but he laughed it off, gave me a hug, and pushed us away with a big theatrical gesture. He was telling one fan, a former U Mass student, not to be shy, cos he'd once seen Tom Baker in Birmingham, and was starstuck. fb explained, politely, that he needed to talk to his manager, so that was that.

It's rather odd detailing things like this, and it's more detail than i'd otherwise have posted, but just felt like redressing the balance a little.

frnck blck Posted - 07/22/2007 : 14:16:43
this is funny...
tisasawath Posted - 07/20/2007 : 04:47:22
yeah, billgoodman, we'll have to wait till it gets on dimeadozen or youtube

-----
AAAAWWWWWRRRIIGGHHTTTTT !! !
PixieSteve Posted - 07/20/2007 : 04:45:25
well actually, i was there, and it didn't happen at all like that.

thetame approached frank black, they hugged and kissed, thetame said how awesome frank black was and frank black blushed.

they exchanged numbers and then high fived each other, and that was it.

"Idiot" is just her sig.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000