Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

mikaelp75
- FB Fan -

131 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  15:15:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Alan,

still feel a bit sorry for you, but as Laura wrote, it isn't that bad. A little more back story:

You guys asked if you could buy Frank a drink, he said he'd like some red wine, and you got it from the bar, right? Looked like he quite enjoyed that.

Then later when he decided there were others at the party he'd like to chat to at the time, you were disappointed but left quietly, without being asked or anything. You sulked a bit outside, understandably, although you probably wouldn't have taken it personally if you'd been totally sober.

Then when Frank and a few friends stepped out of the Empire a half hour - hour later and started walking down the street just as you were talking about your disappointment you shouted stuff but it's not as if he turned around or anything. I was standing between you at the time and seriously didn't think he took notice. At least he didn't show it, didn't stop, didn't turn around, just kept talking to his mate, as far as I could tell. I imagine he thought it was Celtic fans from next door making the noise or something.

So cheer up, I know you enjoyed the gig, and it's now up on dimeadozen for your listening pleasure!
Go to Top of Page

rodney
- FB Fan -

USA
127 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  15:23:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Charles was pleasant, though brief when I met him, but the first few times I was afraid to meet him. It's all about the time and the place, and it sounds as though you got more of an opportunity than most of us get. A pity for all involved that it wound up this way.

Edited by - rodney on 07/19/2007 15:24:46
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  03:38:14  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikaelp75

Hi Alan,

still feel a bit sorry for you, but as Laura wrote, it isn't that bad. A little more back story:

You guys asked if you could buy Frank a drink, he said he'd like some red wine, and you got it from the bar, right? Looked like he quite enjoyed that.

Then later when he decided there were others at the party he'd like to chat to at the time, you were disappointed but left quietly, without being asked or anything. You sulked a bit outside, understandably, although you probably wouldn't have taken it personally if you'd been totally sober.

Then when Frank and a few friends stepped out of the Empire a half hour - hour later and started walking down the street just as you were talking about your disappointment you shouted stuff but it's not as if he turned around or anything. I was standing between you at the time and seriously didn't think he took notice. At least he didn't show it, didn't stop, didn't turn around, just kept talking to his mate, as far as I could tell. I imagine he thought it was Celtic fans from next door making the noise or something.

So cheer up, I know you enjoyed the gig, and it's now up on dimeadozen for your listening pleasure!

so now we have 4 versions of the same story (the tame, miss thing, pistolaur and mikealp)
and each one is a little bit softer in tone

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  04:45:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well actually, i was there, and it didn't happen at all like that.

thetame approached frank black, they hugged and kissed, thetame said how awesome frank black was and frank black blushed.

they exchanged numbers and then high fived each other, and that was it.

"Idiot" is just her sig.
Go to Top of Page

tisasawath
= Cult of Ray =

Wallis and Futuna Islands
783 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  04:47:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, billgoodman, we'll have to wait till it gets on dimeadozen or youtube

-----
AAAAWWWWWRRRIIGGHHTTTTT !! !

Edited by - tisasawath on 07/20/2007 04:49:58
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  14:16:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this is funny...
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  14:43:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was at the aftershow, thanks to Jason Carter, who I'd interviewed earlier in the day [it'll be online soon, just waiting for clearance].

from a fan's point of view, i kept thinking not so much shyness, but just, what do you say apart from "great show/i like the new album" etc? so it was nice to shake hands with fb, but i was happier keeping away. Later on I jokingly said "when are you going to play guitar again?" , which, on reflection, was probably rather rude, but he laughed it off, gave me a hug, and pushed us away with a big theatrical gesture. He was telling one fan, a former U Mass student, not to be shy, cos he'd once seen Tom Baker in Birmingham, and was starstuck. fb explained, politely, that he needed to talk to his manager, so that was that.

It's rather odd detailing things like this, and it's more detail than i'd otherwise have posted, but just felt like redressing the balance a little.

Go to Top of Page

TheTame
- FB Fan -

6 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  15:13:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes it is funny...

i don't know what i regret more now - what i actually did (whatver it was in the end) or posting it on this site...
Go to Top of Page

Zsolt G.
- FB Fan -

117 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  16:33:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well this brings up a good point....as in, what sense is there talking to artist you like? They're basically like talking to a really sexy girl. There's nothing you can say they haven't heard already, and they've always got their guard up, cause they know that people want to tell them how pretty they are, and get them in the sack. I mean what the fuck does FB care if you tell him you totally dig surfer rosa. Everybody has had their tongues up his ass about the pixies for some time now.

I don't think it should be a new topic but I do wonder what actually IS a good rock star pick-up line.
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  17:28:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you all have your depressive, cynical, indie types in mind when you talk about approaching rock stars. there are some who fucking love attention and being called out on the streets. not that FB falls neatly into either of these two groups.

"Idiot" is just her sig.
Go to Top of Page

that means soda
- FB Fan -

Canada
73 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  21:34:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah unless I'm down in Africa and on the same safari as Frank Black, I won't talk to him. And, besides, I'd probably talk about lions or my safari hat.

I've never been famous, but I remember this time at my cousin's wedding. I could tell people were looking at me and their eyes sorta would stick on me. I'm not being an ego-maniac, or anything, but by the time we were all at tables eating dinner, I knew what was going on: I was handsome.
I think I had lost some baby fat that year, and I had about 10 aunts taking my picture and even had some 13 year old girls trying to hit on me (I was 17) that night. Sounds like fun (the attention I mean), but I tell you, once you realize why they're staring at you, it gets very weird and you sorta don't know what to do. Can't imagine a year of a hundred weddings where the same happens over and over. I assume I'd find a workaround, but I'm sorta glad I don't get handsome more than 3-4 times a year.

Montreal, October 1st 2002
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  21:35:06  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm quite entertained by Frank's contribution to this thread.

"Wait. Hold on. This is where the Pixies draw the line. We don't do the beach ball thing." - Frank
Go to Top of Page

scruvs
= Cult of Ray =

353 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  21:57:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prince sometimes invites everyone in the coliseum to his after parties. Sometimes he plays at them. I didn't know the location of the venue to which I was invited.

rodney
- FB Fan -

USA
127 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  09:25:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes though really interesting things happen when you approach a musician that you respect. I introduced myself to one of my favorite artists several years ago, and now we're friends. His girlfriend invited my wife and I to dinner with them last week.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  14:10:31  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Is it Pauly Shore?

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

rodney
- FB Fan -

USA
127 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  15:07:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, it's a fella named Chuck Cleaver. Used to be in a band called Ass Ponys and now he's in a band called Wussy. You may not know of them. The critics seem to like them though. Nice guy and some of the best song writing I've ever heard.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  15:27:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I liked billgoodman's answer better.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

rodney
- FB Fan -

USA
127 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  05:34:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh. Sorry......
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  06:12:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, no, it was just funny is all. Your guy is way cooler -- he's even on the Wikipedia. If I were going to download some Ass Ponys or Wussy tunes from eMusic, what would you recommend?

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

Tiny Team Concerts
- FB Fan -

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  09:22:19  Show Profile  Visit Tiny Team Concerts's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I met Chuck and his wife/girlfriend (?) awhile back when they were visiting his daughter here in town. They kicked everybody's ass (no pun intended) at a rock & roll trivia night I was running at a local bar.

Nice folks all around, and I dug Wussy once I heard them.

Truth be told, it was his young daughter who was nailing all the harder and more obscure questions...

--
Tiny Team Concerts
"Good music for nice people"
Go to Top of Page

rodney
- FB Fan -

USA
127 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  19:48:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Album-wise, Some Stupid With a Flare Gun is my favorite Ass Ponys record. Wussy has a new one coming out in late August called Left For Dead that should be really great.

I know Anna a bit too. Nice girl.

This thread seems to have derailed into nicer territory!

Edited by - rodney on 07/24/2007 19:49:20
Go to Top of Page

Scarla O
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
947 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2007 :  01:41:13  Show Profile  Visit Scarla O's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy
He was telling one fan, a former U Mass student, not to be shy, cos he'd once seen Tom Baker in Birmingham, and was starstuck.

not the British Tom Baker?
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2007 :  02:13:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe so. "One of the Doctor Whos, the one with the curls".
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2007 :  03:30:03  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Man, never met Frank.... although I was very close to him at the 2001 Leadmill gig in Sheffield. Frank was putting his gear away and was literally a couple of metres away but i decided to leave him to get on with his stuff. Fuck, I wouldn't have known wat to say to him either and would have just made myself look like a blabbering dick.

Met Jannick Gers out of Iron Maiden once backstage at an Alice Cooper gig... was so drunk that it pretty much turned into something from Waynes World. I think all I managed was to say 'Man you guys rock.' My mate was stood drunkenly next to me and he was even more pathetic, coming out with 'Yeah, rock!' Then we walked away and that was that.

Chatting to Charles and Ding tho in Belgium was great... I was pretty drunk but not past the point of being embarrassing... those guys were chatting to us for a good half hour / hour... a very pleasant experience I have to say.

Meeting Frank though... well, it would be like meeting someone like Neil Young, Bowie or Robert Smith.. and I would just have to walk away to protect any illusions that could be shattered.

Oh... I once called Ryan Gigs a cock in a bar in Cardiff... but then again he is a cock. Vinnie Jones was there too and was being complete knob, but calling him a cock was out of the question.

Because your candle burned too bright, that I almost forgot it was twilight
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2007 :  04:49:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Charles Normal, bless him, was happily giving out guitar advice. That red strat-a-like is a G+L. Fine guitars.
Go to Top of Page

vanishing_spy
- FB Fan -

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2007 :  16:39:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad to hear everyone has the same anxiety about meeting heroes/celebs that I do. I think if Frank were ever a jerk to me I would hold a grudge and lose about 75% of my typical music rotation!

I had a chance to meet Frank one night in DC when he was touring for Cult of Ray. He was standing on the balcony with one his band members watching Johnny Polotsky (sp?) play and I was only about 15 feet from him. I was geeking and all of my friends were urging me to go say "hi" but...what was I really going to say? So I just stood there staring like an idiot.

you're so dark you're so strange
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  00:35:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Meeting your heroes in your dreams is far more interesting and can provide new considerations.

Hey Frank ! Do you remember last time we meet in one of my dreams?
It was the night after this Toulouse gig in June. I was the guy in front of you with the camcorder, belly dancing all the show long.
During our meeting you told me a few things that really helped me out and reassured me... Then we hugged.

Thanks again for your kind words!

Oniricaly Yours.

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=gxtbJf5E9i4

++++
Go to Top of Page

treetime
- FB Fan -

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  16:03:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wasn't there but, I would't worry about it, what is fan etiquette any way? Just some basic respect right.
Go to Top of Page

debaserrr
- FB Fan -

121 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  09:24:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
even after reading this i think the first/only thing i would do when i saw charles was give him a big ol' hug...

"The arc of triumph!"
Go to Top of Page

misterwoe
= Cult of Ray =

Greece
675 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  13:05:56  Show Profile  Visit misterwoe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank Black ROCKS!!! And he's a strange feller. ha ha. YES!!!

------------------------------------------------
You're all a bunch of slaves!
Go to Top of Page

mikaelp75
- FB Fan -

131 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  00:41:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by misterwoe

Frank Black ROCKS!!! And he's a strange feller. ha ha. YES!!!

------------------------------------------------
You're all a bunch of slaves!

Officially my favourite post ever.
Go to Top of Page

raasclaat
- FB Fan -

Australia
62 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  19:06:38  Show Profile  Click to see raasclaat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My meeting with Frank was brief enough in Amsterdam and something I re-think.

At the time i felt bad about interrupting him with his family (twice because at first i didnt have my camera). But I got the photo, just wish i got the whole family in, and wish I could have had a chat. But that kind of situation is not natural anyway, so what the hell are you going to say. Nothing is more pointless then telling him about how much his music has influenced you, you would rather say something that gets something back...but anyway.
Violet was sweet chatting to us briefly before my guilt set in and i ran off....Looking back, i shouldnt have felt bad, its been my dream to meet Frank, but more-so in a conversational manner.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bolsak/Holland2007/photo#5085255382511017170

Go to Top of Page

mr.biscuitdoughhead
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1729 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  19:12:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This thread makes me jealous. I wanna meet Frank!

It's 1969, okay.

Edited by - mr.biscuitdoughhead on 08/12/2007 19:12:40
Go to Top of Page

raasclaat
- FB Fan -

Australia
62 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  23:22:05  Show Profile  Click to see raasclaat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rodney

Sometimes though really interesting things happen when you approach a musician that you respect. I introduced myself to one of my favorite artists several years ago, and now we're friends. His girlfriend invited my wife and I to dinner with them last week.

true. I did get to meet and hang out with one of my faves , Neil Halstead (from Slowdive & Mojave 3) . He came back to a friends house after a gig, we all sat, chatted and drank.

I havent had a bad run come to think of it for living in old isolated Australia. I met Billy Crystal earlier this year too!

Edited by - raasclaat on 08/12/2007 23:23:12
Go to Top of Page

raasclaat
- FB Fan -

Australia
62 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  00:17:13  Show Profile  Click to see raasclaat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I originally read this thread from end to beginning so I didnt see the first post...however
(delayed reaction) This thread is GOLD...The funniest thing I have read on this forum.

Oh my, I would hate to be you, TheTame hahah. And there I was beating myself up for not having anything intelligent to say to Charles, and not chatting a bit longer to Violet.
Thanks mate! made my day.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000