Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Cheeseman1000
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  05:46:14  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here commences the petition to have more moderators and admin - i.e. more people that are able to completely ban and lock accounts, more that are able to edit posts. Don't give any more power to tre, she'll go completely power-mad, but there must be some responsible individuals to share the load...

Numberwang?

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  05:53:21  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey,

My crazy work season ends Sunday, so i should be much more present. It is not my decision as to how many mods/which mods we have. But it is a more complicated issue that it seems.
And on top of that, banning and locking of accounts can only be done by Dave and Dean - so a new mod wouldn't help that - just locking/moving threads.

-Brian - http://bvsrant.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  05:58:45  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hence more mods and admin, folks that can ban, lock, hopefully kill certain people. Not to knock your fine foruming skills, of course.

Numberwang?
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  06:53:58  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No offense taken, friend. I could use all the help i can get.

PS Simon - i had a dream last night that you and Tre came to the States and we hung out and you had a pretty boss beard. Like a beard of bees made of hair.

Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  07:12:53  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did it sting? Sweet.

Numberwang?
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  08:03:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes make a couple more admins for banning purposes. and extra mods. maybe 4, one for each section. don't you think fbc would be a perfect mod for the tabs and trading forums?

"I'm such a a news nerd." - Carl

Edited by - PixieSteve on 04/25/2007 08:03:52
Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  08:03:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't understand why when Dave is never here and Dean knows he's going away that there isn't at least one more admin with the power to do all this. Especially one on the other side of the Atlantic (eg Europe) to try and give more mod coverage. Really, that should be the case anyway, regardless of Dave & Dean's status.

When you're going through hell, keep going. Winston Churchill
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  08:31:14  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nominate Llamasteve and FBC.

Numberwang?
Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  08:36:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Llama is a wise man.

Edited by - remig on 04/25/2007 08:36:45
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  08:36:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
seconded

Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  09:18:35  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thirded

pas de bras pas de chocolat
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  09:54:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree. Add another admin. Maybe promote Brian (or Brain) or Tre if they want it. And add a couple of new mods. Steve and Carolyn would be great.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  11:20:16  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There are a few more issues here, by the way. There has to be a high level of trust, and with Dave rarely around, it is hard to find people who get unanimous approval from Dean and Dave (and i suppose i have a small say, as should Tre). Not just trust in terms of making the proper decisions w/ locking/moving threads, but also just as a good representative for the site, and also someone who we can get along with (relatively speaking) decently, and also someone who can be trusted in terms of not being a baby about things and flipping out and not taking things personally and whatnot.

That being said, i think everyone that has been recommended would do a great job, but it is not my decision to make.

Go to Top of Page

starmekitten
-= Forum Pistolera =-

United Kingdom
6370 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  11:59:31  Show Profile  Visit starmekitten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well I have to confess, at home, I've been whinging like crazy the last couple of days (weeks Simone?). Especially with this Lobster guy. I teach four out of six periods on a tuesday, in my free time I could be lesson planning, evaluating, a whole heap of stuff but instead I feel obliged to tidy up after some spammer.

I know you guys are horribly busy but when it is like this there should be some back up. There's only so very little I can do on my own.

With Dave never around how can we get him to give the nod to anyone?

Idiot.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  13:13:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Llamadance

I don't understand why when Dave is never here and Dean knows he's going away that there isn't at least one more admin with the power to do all this. Especially one on the other side of the Atlantic (eg Europe) to try and give more mod coverage. Really, that should be the case anyway, regardless of Dave & Dean's status.

When you're going through hell, keep going. Winston Churchill

I'm certain Llamadance wasn't nominating himself to be the other European mod -- if such a thing were to happen -- but I'll nominate him. If anyone was made for the job, it's Steve. He's wise, he's decent, he knows FB, he knows this community, and I'm sure he'd do an admirable job staying on top of spam and keeping us kids in order. Thar's my two cents' worth.

Oh, and all that assumes he'd want to do it. Forgive me, LlamaSteve, if that's completely not the case.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.

Edited by - coastline on 04/25/2007 13:15:17
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  13:30:04  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been trying Tre, i have been. But i've also been left to podcast alone, and i'm trying to stay on top of that as well (poorly, most would say). Shoot me an email Tre, k?

Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  13:35:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darwin

I agree. Add another admin. Maybe promote Brian (or Brain) or Tre if they want it. And add a couple of new mods. Steve and Carolyn would be great.

At first I thought you meant pixiesteve.
Because he's also very fair and open-minded... j/k

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  13:53:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carolynanna

quote:
Originally posted by darwin

At first I thought you meant pixiesteve.
Because he's also very fair and open-minded... j/k

You two do seem like a natural pair.
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  13:54:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'd make an awesome mod.

Edited by - PixieSteve on 04/25/2007 13:59:37
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  22:15:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd be terrible at it. I bet even floop would do a better job than me.

"Join the Cult of Bluto and become an abusive prick"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  09:39:34  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've thought about moving Brian up to an admin, but as has been stated, he's hardly around too. I'm not adding a new mod from scratch. I'd rather move up someone volunteering, but as we have very few volunteers right now, well, there's not much I can do.

So if people want to put their money where their mouths are, maybe a little volunteering on other sections would help. The forum is only part of the site as a whole, even if its our favourites.

Llama does volunteer with the photo gallery and he is correct about us needing a contingency, but fails to take into account that we're better off with slow moderator response (no offense Tre, it's just too much for one person, nevermind three) than bad moderation. Someone power hungry or incompetent. This is part of why I like to know the person and work with them first.

Also, while I'm saying that we have no volunteers, I'd like to thank Coastline for helping out too by recently joining us to revitalize the video section.

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  13:17:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dean you are such a moron sometimes.

quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

I've thought about moving Brian up to an admin, but as has been stated, he's hardly around too.

you might as well give up your admin status if that's what you think

quote:
I'm not adding a new mod from scratch.

why not?

quote:
I'd rather move up someone volunteering, but as we have very few volunteers right now, well, there's not much I can do.

So if people want to put their money where their mouths are, maybe a little volunteering on other sections would help. The forum is only part of the site as a whole, even if its our favourites.

so you want volunteers to work on the site AND moderate the forum, whilst you go on holiday and still think you're the boss? no. like you say, the forum is just a section of the site so why can't be people volunteer to help out with this section only?

quote:
Llama does volunteer with the photo gallery and he is correct about us needing a contingency, but fails to take into account that we're better off with slow moderator response (no offense Tre, it's just too much for one person, nevermind three) than bad moderation.

why say you'd prefer slow moderation but refuse to make brian admin because he's not around much. what's the harm?

quote:
Someone power hungry or incompetent.

like dave noisy deleting the beautiful women thread?
or your unwillingness to share more power?

quote:
This is part of why I like to know the person and work with them first.

you're not around enough to know them first.

Edited by - PixieSteve on 04/27/2007 13:36:36
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  15:05:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For awhile I was like "what's PixieSteve's problem" and then I found out in that "5 years" thread that's he's 20 and I was like "oh".

maybe I'll kick it

Edited by - speedy_m on 04/27/2007 15:25:19
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  16:35:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
huh?

me in this thread: making helpful suggestions and arguing for the good of the community.
you in this thread: taking pointless cheap shots

how old are you?

Edited by - PixieSteve on 04/27/2007 16:41:27
Go to Top of Page

50 Pence
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
284 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  20:19:06  Show Profile  Visit 50 Pence's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Smack down.

I think I should be a mod. I'm the bomb.

Blats
Go to Top of Page

remig
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1734 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  04:21:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Dean,

You're not FrankBlack.net community's slave and you've got the absolute right to leave it for a while, as it's Dave's choice to not get involved with it anymore.
I really loved what you both have done for us, a great website, a cool forum and all, the podcast were great, the tributes,I thank you for that. I can understand that you might sometimes feel like you don't receive as much as you gave.

But:
* About the website: there ain't no news update anymore, but if one considers Frankblack.net ain't a community portal but one particular frank black fansite, that's the owner's choice.

* About the forum: The forum has been down many times, it gets spam, and the moderating work is too much for one person in Europe and a one in America, has both have a life too and admins ain't here anymore (but as I said above)
Nethertheless, you should understand that this community don't belong to anyone, nor dave, you or even Charles Thomson. That's the community that made the success of this forum (i don't forget the podcast and the tributes).
So maybe a little democracy would be fine, 1000 posts users should have the right to propose some new people to help. Maybe you could set up elections for mods or somethig like that.

And in my opinion, Brian deserves to be an admin. A forum admin don't have to make a moderator work.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  06:33:59  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, first of all, when I say "I've thought about moving Brian up to an admin", I should clarify that I have to have Dave do that, I can't. I meant more that I have though about convincing Dave to do so.

Secondly, Dave and Phil still hold the keys to this server. The community of FB fans may not belong to anyone, but this site, in spite of all the contributions that everyone in the community makes in one way or another, positive or negative make, belong and will always belong to them. They may have nothing to do with it other than some tech support (which at time is plenty since I couldn't do some of it at all) and keeping a server running for us so we don't have to do a really disgusting migration, but they built the site that you're using and that's all there is to it. I've done a lot for this site (anyone arguing that can take the degraded service in my absence as an example) and if I can accept and understand it, then surely you can to.

So I hope that answers your concerns Remig. I CAN appoint new mods (not admins), but they have to be on the same page as existing ones or it creates more problems than it solves. We've been there before, and if you thought what you may have seen in the past was anything, you should've seen it between emails. I don't claim or want to own the community nor even the site, but I basically am one of the site's stewards and do as much as I can in spite of being on holiday and everything else. I have no problem with your suggestions and you may recall many people suggesting that Tre would be a good moderator sometime back.

Steve. Calling me a moron and telling me I'm power hungry are not what I would call helpful and community building. I suppose we have different definitions. I've been looking for volunteers forever and you know it. The fact that I'm not in a stable place right now where I can afford to spend the amounts of time and money in expensive and slow Australian internet cafes managing this site and doing all the little things that you probably don't notice until I'm not here doing them doesn't mean that I've washed my hands of the site and everything I've done until now is irrelevant.

I don't especially think of being an admin as "power" so much as a responsibility. To think that being an admin of a website is 'power' is laughable and I certainly don't. Still, it is a responsibility that I may not have been able to keep up as much as I'd like lately, but I'm not going to compound that by just throwing my responsibility away. In the meantime, feel free to continue to suggest moderators amongst yourself. I've thought on Llama and will probably chat with him via email in the near future as he has demonstrated a commitment to the community by trying to get our photo gallery going; it's not really his fault that our software for that is pretty terrible and makes his job difficult.

<exhale>

Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  09:47:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Steve. Calling me a moron and telling me I'm power hungry are not what I would call helpful and community building. I suppose we have different definitions.

calling you a moron was not the only contribution i made to this thread, so let's move on.

quote:
... doing all the little things that you probably don't notice

like what? remember we are talking about the moderation of the forum here, not the website.

quote:
... doesn't mean that I've washed my hands of the site and everything I've done until now is irrelevant.

i never suggested that, i just thought it would be more responsible for you to let someone else help in the meantime. i did't realise you couldn't create admins yourself, sorry.

quote:
... it is a responsibility that I may not have been able to keep up as much as I'd like lately, but I'm not going to compound that by just throwing my responsibility away.

this is why i think it's nonsense not to make brian admin because (apparently) he's not around much. there's no harm. he's proved himself trustworthy and a great contributor to the site in general.

Edited by - PixieSteve on 04/29/2007 09:49:41
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  18:06:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PixieSteve

huh?

me in this thread: making helpful suggestions and arguing for the good of the community.

how old are you?

With a little age, Steve, will come the sort of maturity that lets you know when it's time to shut up and move on. That's what speedy_m was talking about. And lay off of Dean. He's done one hell of a lot for this community, and continues to do what he can despite his limited access. If he needs help, he'll ask the right people. We owe it to him to trust that he'll do the right thing. You aren't helping.

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  18:47:18  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just checked into this thread for the first time since posting a response to Tre a few days ago, and wow, this has gotten out of hand.

I appreciate the support for getting us more help - i truly do. However, i think that everyone involved needs to take a step back and look at what we really need right now on this site :

1) A solution to the spam problem

This will, probably, never happen. Every forum of this magnitude on Earth gets spammed, and this is no different. However, if we can make an effort as a community to simply ignore the spam until a mod/admin gets to it, that would probably be best. I know this is a bit of sticking our collective head in the sand, but even with 15 mods, there would still be times spammers would strike. So, let's just leave it be and attempt to refrain from posting "SPAMMER!" in those threads.

2) More moderation

This can be achieved in a number of ways. First off, lead by example. If someone is being a prick, show them (in a mature manner) how they should be acting. Secondly, if a thread has existed for more than a day or so in a wrong area, email a mod and we'll move it. The truth of the matter is that we are all busy and, once again, if there were 15 of us moderating, there would still be gaps in service. Third of all - lay off the newbies - we were all once new here. We will be adding more mods eventually - but this very second is probably not a very convenient time for it. Let's let Dean get situated and then we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. And finally, show a little tact when dealing with anyone here. Good citizens breed good communties (of which we have a fine one here).

3) A Reality Check

We are not paid for this - we take time out of our personal lives; time away from our familes, jobs, hobbies, friends and significant others to do this. I am not saying this to complain - i fucking love my duties here - i've gotten to meet many cool people, have been exposed to more cool music, film and literature than i would've ever imagined, and i get to do a podcast about the world's greatest songwriter. I'm a lucky guy. However, i am a lucky guy who puts in a full time job, who is trying to plan a wedding, find a place to live and also have some fun and write some songs. Dean is on a once in a lifetime trip - and he's getting shit for it. Dave has decided to step back his involvelemt on the site. Which is fine; he doesn't owe us anything. Tre has been a trooper through all of this and deserves our sincerest thanks. The point is that we can all try and decide what we feel is best for this site/forum/community, but for right now, what is best is some civility and some cooperation.

If that isn't good enough, sorry.

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  18:57:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

quote:
Originally posted by PixieSteve

huh?

how old are you?

With a little age, Steve, will come the sort of maturity that lets you know when it's time to shut up and move on. That's what speedy_m was talking about. And lay off of Dean. He's done one hell of a lot for this community, and continues to do what he can despite his limited access. If he needs help, he'll ask the right people. We owe it to him to trust that he'll do the right thing. You aren't helping.

calling dean a moron wasn't the best move, but every other question steve brings up is a valid one. and still hasn't been answered. why can't brian and tre be moderators? why not nominate more moderators? (how about fbc and llama)??

if anything, he got some discussion going about some pretty good questions. i think the condescending "listen to me i'm an old man with much wisdom" response might be out of place on this one

jamming good with Weird and Gilly

Edited by - floop on 04/29/2007 18:59:46
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  20:48:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face
Dean is on a once in a lifetime trip - and he's getting shit for it.

He used up his "once in a lifetime trip" card in Europe last year. The bastard.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  01:15:51  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heh, true. Though this is actually an extension of that trip that I didn't complete at the time for personal/work reasons. Still, I am a bastard and know it.

As for Steve's points, I do agree that Brian being an admin could only help rather than hurt even if he's not here much, I just need to organize a time to chat with Dave on it. I'm pretty sure I addressed the rest as well. Like I said, feel free to continue discussing potential mods or people to help with other parts of the site. I'll have to chat with Tre and Brian before doing anything regardless.

Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  01:26:05  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Heh, true. Though this is actually an extension of that trip that I didn't complete at the time for personal/work reasons. Still, I am a bastard and know it.

Plus, you smell.

Numberwang?
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  01:27:43  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You had to make this personal...

Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  06:09:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dean, i apologise. i didn't want to get drawn in to a debate about name calling. slip of the tongue. although, can i transfer moron status to coastline?

Edited by - PixieSteve on 04/30/2007 06:15:21
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000