New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Luis Bunuel
- FB Fan -

76 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  12:32:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...people like me."

Watched LOUDquietLOUD last night. I thought it was a decent enough movie, but was wondering about the scene when FB crawls into a bed on the tour bus, pops in a tape, and recites a self-help mantra to himself. Was it a joke? Or does[did?] he actually do that in earnest?

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  12:51:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think it was a joke.

It kind of made me uncomfortable at the time because it was so raw, but on reflection I think it's interesting. I bet most of us at sometimes (or always) deal with feeling like we aren't as successful, productive, well-liked, and settled as we would like to be. And then there's Frank who we would all agree is successful, talented, admired, and will withstand the test of time as one of the greatest musicians in the late 20th century and he deals with the same self-doubts that we (or maybe it's just me) have. Our intelligence allows us to do so many things, but we pay the price with our neuroses [Erebus writes much better about this.]

The whole documentary has stuck with me as being a glimpse at them as real people. Maybe the editing pushed storylines more than the Pixies wanted, but it was still an interesting document.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  13:23:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think he was half kidding. i mean, there may have been some truth behind it, but it's also an SNL sketch..

jamming good with Weird and Gilly
Go to Top of Page

Luis Bunuel
- FB Fan -

76 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  13:42:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, darwin, that the documentary was an uncomfortable watch. The Pixies just seemed so sad, David with his metal detector and Kim knitting sweaters and drinking non-alcoholic beer. Even Frank and Joey seemed kind of depressed, maybe it was just awkward for them to be on camera and together again.

It was nice to see them as real people, but maybe they were made out to be a little more fragile and tortured than they really are? Maybe Frank was serious with the self-help tape, but, I don't know, he never struck me as the kind of person to listen to those. I mean, he's like an intellectual, right? My mom listens to self-help tapes, not my fucking rock and roll idol.

floop, that's what I thought too, I was also struck at the eerie similarity to the Al Franken sketch.
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  13:51:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by floop

i think he was half kidding. i mean, there may have been some truth behind it, but it's also an SNL sketch..

He didn't actually say the SNL lines, did he? It was close, but more along the lines of "People like me." Nothing else in the movie seemed like a staged joke for the camera.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  13:57:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Surely he was aware of being filmed. Or maybe it's Big Brother syndrome, where you forgot the cameras are there after a while!
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  14:02:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i wasn't implying it was a "staged joke" for the camera. i do think he was referencing the Franken sketch though.. i don't remember the exact lines he said, but it seemed obvious that he was doing his own version of it.

like i said above, i think he was "half kidding"

i don't know for sure how much he was kidding, but i do know that i'd like to get into a drawn-out argument about it

Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  14:04:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damn, I lent out my copy, so I can't check it tonight. But he does finish the mantra with "I'm cute." I love that part.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  15:15:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Irony? Doesn't that explain the self-help mantra? We're masters of it, we're slaves to it etc.

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000