gotmeamovie
- FB Fan -

158 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  03:20:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey

i know this is a pixies song but there is more response in this forum

Not one of you can tell me this isnt in his top 10 best songs
been listening to it over and over

what a perfect recording, if this album was released today it would win a grammy, way ahead of its time

anyway back to the song

i love his singing. It playful yet some what yearning as only frank can do it

and the ending with tho oohs and the 'down, down , down....' that is genius

god he is the perfect song writer

im so jealous

i luv playing on my guitar also

"If all you've seen, is violence!"

Cheeseman1000
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  03:48:33  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tissue?

Numberwang?
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  09:53:34  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
too hard to think right now if it's top ten best, but it's definately in top 10 trompe songs.

i don't mean to exclude mosters such as Subba, Trompe and Planet etc etc etc, but Motorway to Roswell is in my trio of "wow!! this is something fecking special here, so simple yet so give the world two decades and a half to collaborate and I guarantee we'll never write anything like this or even come close" Trompe Le Monde songs along with Alec Eiffel and Letter to Memphis.
Go to Top of Page

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  10:18:33  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's certainly in my top 10 songs of all time, I love it. I like the end the best, it goes on and on, in a good way though, and all the layers of vocals are great! The little "down down down"'s are magical!

http://www.myspace.com/monkeyhelperband http://www.myspace.com/imnimrodsson
Go to Top of Page

blue cadet3
- FB Fan -

USA
146 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  10:32:47  Show Profile  Visit blue cadet3's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This song is great. I love the guitar loop that pans across and the way the piano ends the song. I'd say it is in my top 10 but, that could change by next week. It is always in the top 20 though.
Go to Top of Page

kromkamp
= Cult of Ray =

291 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  11:05:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always thought this song would have actually fit *better* on a Frank Black album than a Pixies album.

One of my favorites also!
Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1036 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  12:56:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazing, amazing song. Too bad they didn't play it during the reunion. One of the all-time greatest Pixies songs. I get chillls when I listen to it; in fact, I space out the times I do listen to this song so I don't burn it out.

A majestic song that's an epic climax to Trompe. I like to think of Navajo as the epilogue to the album, kind of the breeze following in the wake of Motorway.

Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  14:21:01  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
oh yeah, i forgot to say how great Joey's lead is.

Go to Top of Page

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  14:43:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brilliant song.

I'd write more, but that pretty much sums it up.

I'd say it just misses top 10 for me though.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  15:27:26  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pixie Steve doesn't like this song or All Over The World. I still think those are two of the best Pixies songs ever.
Go to Top of Page

gotmeamovie
- FB Fan -

158 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  21:31:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i love listening to it when i drive

particuarly cose im sort feeling moody lately

so the part of ' i was feeling down' and ' he starting heading for the motorway' are great and the outro sends me into a state

"If all you've seen, is violence!"
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  01:37:36  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All Pixies music is great for driving.

In another thread, album lengths were discussed, and I always thought it was great that most Pixies albums are around 40 minutes or less - perfect for a drive. You can listen to the whole thing and appreciate them as masterpieces all the more because you always listen to the whole thing.

And yeah, I agree - Navajo always feels to me like an epilogue. Motorway is the grand finale, and Navajo is like the little mint you get as you leave the restaurant.

== jeffamerica ==
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  06:49:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IceCream

Pixie Steve doesn't like this song or All Over The World. I still think those are two of the best Pixies songs ever.

woah, do you have an archive of all my posts or something?

heh. that's not the case now. i love motorway to roswell. all over the world is brilliant too.

"After coming into contact with a religious man I always feel I must wash my hands." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  01:03:33  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jefrey

All Pixies music is great for driving.

In another thread, album lengths were discussed, and I always thought it was great that most Pixies albums are around 40 minutes or less - perfect for a drive. You can listen to the whole thing and appreciate them as masterpieces all the more because you always listen to the whole thing.

And yeah, I agree - Navajo always feels to me like an epilogue. Motorway is the grand finale, and Navajo is like the little mint you get as you leave the restaurant.

== jeffamerica ==

I agree. The Navajo Know couldn't really fit anywhere else on the album. It's so weird and ethereal - alien, almost. It's one of the weirdest songs of their career. What kind of chord progression is that? ALL minor chords? That weird distortion effect on FB's vocals and there isn't really a chorus, just a tag...2 minutes 19 seconds, and it just kind of floats in outer space without going anywhere. A stagnant song, yet it does so much....

I hope to God Pixies don't record a new album just because Trompe is the perfect way to bow out.

But, I digress.
Go to Top of Page

jackruby
- FB Fan -

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  14:57:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bumblebeeboy2

It's certainly in my top 10 songs of all time, I love it. I like the end the best, it goes on and on, in a good way though, and all the layers of vocals are great! The little "down down down"'s are magical!

http://www.myspace.com/monkeyhelperband http://www.myspace.com/imnimrodsson

I agree whole-heartedly. Motorway is by far my favorite pixies track. There is a three-way tie between it, Tripping Daisy's Human Contact, and Cracker's Big Dipper for greatest song of all time. But that's just my opinion...

Edited by - jackruby on 04/18/2007 14:58:30
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000