Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 24

pixiestu
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2564 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  16:59:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bluefinfer is starting to become my favourite track on the album. It has just crept up on me from nowhere. I like the backing vocals and just the overall feel of it, like the quietness between Frank's singing in the verses (basically the 'plodding' Steve is on about).

It's a great song to close the album.

"The arc of triumph"
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  17:04:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the melody is so slow, first few times i listened to it i was worried the melody wasn't going to go anywhere with the next word, but when it does come out, it's a relief. it holds up. and the chorus is obviously great.

"Idiot" is just her sig.
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  17:06:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, today I listened to the whole record on the train back from Birmingham. I only ever skip a couple ('Test Pilot Blues' and 'Angels Come to Comfort You').

As for the 'thing on my back' line, I wondered if it's a reference to Brood's terminal illness? Cancer?
Go to Top of Page

cptnpasty
- FB Fan -

Spain
151 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  01:11:36  Show Profile  Visit cptnpasty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PixieSteve

i find the song bluefinger probably one of the catchiest songs on the album... i listened to it just before a week in spain with no access to music and i just kept singing it to myself.

i love the way the verses plod along

i don't need a do not... disturb.. me sign
the manager here.... is a friend... of mine

and the kind of lazy guitar playing, which is actually very skillfull.

also, what does "I'm a jumping jack to this thing on my back" mean? it sounds cool.
"Idiot" is just her sig.

to have a monkey on your back is a metaphor for addiction, maybe it's that
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  04:44:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Again. Brood famously sung My Way so has everyone made the connection with Bluefinger's title track? Like it's a more personal version of My Way that Brood might have sung. Youtube of the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K1fRY9Oe8U

Edited by - trobrianders on 07/13/2007 14:36:55
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  04:48:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what is with this whole "kitsch" thing. you read a book on it? quick, read another one.

"Idiot" is just her sig.
Go to Top of Page

langdonboom
= Cult of Ray =

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  05:04:00  Show Profile  Click to see langdonboom's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Its all kitsch, baby!

And that makes sense about the monkey on the back -- "my choices were poor" but "I MADE THEM" I love this sentiment. Making ANY choice is really better than getting stuck in indecision.
Go to Top of Page

kelladwella
= Cult of Ray =

Germany
729 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  05:10:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by langdonboom

Making ANY choice is really better than getting stuck in indecision.

So true...
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  14:38:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PixieSteve

what is with this whole "kitsch" thing. you read a book on it? quick, read another one.

"Idiot" is just her sig.

Doh! I copied and pasted. My mistake. I've removed the offending article. Thanks

Edited by - trobrianders on 07/13/2007 15:11:02
Go to Top of Page

OLDMANOTY
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2007 :  03:46:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this the first 'official' review of Bluefinger?
www.fwweekly.com/content.asp?article=6142
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2007 :  03:57:42  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
and a rather positive one!

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

mr.biscuitdoughhead
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1729 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2007 :  08:03:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm loving "discotheque" and "bluefinger" right now. i didn't like either at first, well not as much as captain pasty and threshold, but they kinda like burrowed into my head and i find all the other tracks boring. and violet's vocals are the best!

"In the future the president is a panda bear with chainsaws for arms." -Andy Milonakis
Go to Top of Page

Bartholomew
= Cult of Ray =

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  07:35:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just got bluefinger the other day. i had decided to wait until the official release, but after realizing a dj friend (and recent FB convert) had access to a promo copy i broke down. it seems almost too early to say, but it sure sounds like a masterpiece. it's the most excited i've been front to back about a new album since FB & the C's came out after the COR letdown. Definitely in the top 3 albums of Frank's solo career. Maybe #2 after Teenager. Top 5 of Pixies/FB. LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT! favorites so far are threshold apprehension and tight black rubber. but really they're all great.

it did take me a listen or two to get into it, though. from all I'd read I was expecting an out and out return to Pixies Black Francis and/or early FB sound. it's really more of a combination of the recent FB sound melded with the old. it's actually a pretty great combination. so glad frank returned to flat-out rockin' out. the rootsy stuff is great, but nobody does rock like Frank. can't wait to see this tour when it comes to the US (assuming it does). love the backing band. great bass and guitar work in particular. the only nitpick i have is the production. a little bare bones. still sounds great, but I would've loved to hear what EDF would've added to it. then again, I'd like to hear what he would add to every album. RAWK ON, BLUE FRANCIS! RAWK ON!
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  07:42:23  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bartholomew
it's the most excited i've been front to back about a new album since FB & the C's came out after the COR letdown.

You mean "... since DiTS came out after the Pistolero letdown", right?

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
Go to Top of Page

Bartholomew
= Cult of Ray =

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  08:56:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BLASPHEMY! Leave this man's body, Demon. I cast ye out!
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

quote:
Originally posted by Bartholomew
it's the most excited i've been front to back about a new album since FB & the C's came out after the COR letdown.

You mean "... since DiTS came out after the Pistolero letdown", right?

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."

Go to Top of Page

helium
- FB Fan -

Belgium
12 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  15:46:30  Show Profile  Visit helium's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had the chance to download Bluefinger today and listen to this album for the first time.
I was wondering how you guys can get it in March 2007 (first post of this topic)
I am a newbe in this forum, but I need to say it:

AMAZING !

Listen to HElium: http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?songs=273239
Go to Top of Page

kotvana
- FB Fan -

Israel
99 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  08:31:17  Show Profile  Visit kotvana's Homepage  Click to see kotvana's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
cause santa-frank sent it to EVERYBODY right after leaving the studio
quote:
Originally posted by helium

I had the chance to download Bluefinger today and listen to this album for the first time.
I was wondering how you guys can get it in March 2007 (first post of this topic)
I am a newbe in this forum, but I need to say it:

AMAZING !

Listen to HElium: http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?songs=273239

Go to Top of Page

two__spaces
- FB Fan -

5 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  07:52:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, new to the forum. I've been a Pixies' fan for a long time and have recently started listening to Frank's solo career, I started with Bluefinger because with it being a "Black Francis" album I figured it would be the closest thing to sounding like the Pixies. Anyway I'm loving it and have just got his first solo album which I also think is fantastic. That's pretty much it really!
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  08:36:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi two spaces! You need to check out TOTY, and give The Catholics albums a try!

"I hate how the reptile dreams it's a mammal. Scaley monster: be what you are!!" - Erebus.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  09:54:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome, two spaces. Love your username, with the two spaces between "two" and "spaces."

So weird how pretty much anyone can get "Bluefinger" nowadays, and it's not due out for six more weeks.

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

two__spaces
- FB Fan -

5 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  13:09:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. Bluefinger took me a while to find, I plan on buying a physical copy, naturally. TOTY is next on the list but which Catholics album should I try first and do they differ a lot from Frank on his own?
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2007 :  14:52:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't seen this little interview around the forum, so I'm posting it here. Frank talks about Bluefinger and the Pixies.
http://www.revu.nl/5801.Video-interview_met_Black_Francis

Edited by - velvety on 07/25/2007 14:53:37
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  05:36:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by two__spaces

Thanks guys. Bluefinger took me a while to find, I plan on buying a physical copy, naturally. TOTY is next on the list but which Catholics album should I try first and do they differ a lot from Frank on his own?

Hi two spaces. Great that you picked one of FB's most underated songs for your nick. You might try the Catholics albums in order. I mean why not? But if you want the most accessible first then I'd go for Pistolero. My favourite though is Dog In The Sand, generally considered to be second only to TOTY from all of Frank's solo work.

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  10:01:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot velvety, great find. That's not clips of the actual Threshold vid?

"I hate how the reptile dreams it's a mammal. Scaley monster: be what you are!!" - Erebus.
Go to Top of Page

sandy
- FB Fan -

3 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  13:34:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anybody give me a hint where i can download the album bluefinger?
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  15:43:48  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe ol' Frank is doing an experiment to see if intentionally leaking a (good) album way early will affect record sales. He always tries new things. He knows it's good - having the leak generates buzz - the buzz leaks to the press, and the press has no choice but to give it 5 stars and praise its gloriousness. Mention Nirvana in the article about bluefinger, and viola! Gold record in the first week.

== jeffamerica ==
Go to Top of Page

Born to Lose
- FB Fan -

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  14:26:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After waiting anxiously, I downloaded the advance copy on eMusic this morning. I am totally blown away by this album! My current favorites are Captain Pasty, Threshold, Lolita, and Discotheque 36.
Go to Top of Page

mr.biscuitdoughhead
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1729 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  19:20:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sandy

emusic. hint hint.

"I have sex with only men." - Coastline
Go to Top of Page

Triakel
- FB Fan -

119 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  06:02:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr.biscuitdoughhead

quote:
Originally posted by sandy

emusic. hint hint.

"I have sex with only men." - Coastline

I downloaded Bluefinger from eMusic about a week ago, but it wasn't up very long. As others have said, it was removed and might have been posted erroneously (and early).

In the meantime, if you're seeking a copy, I'd suggest that you spend time doing a good soul seek.

(Ahem)
Go to Top of Page

callahan
- FB Fan -

149 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2007 :  16:30:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders

My friend Oona babysat Björk. Grotesque, check Kundera's L'insoutenable légèreté de l'être for an eye-opening definition of kitsch. Springsteen? I guess so.

My dog's name is Oonagh. Springsteen, as a lyricist, is second only to Dylan, who's second to none!

Edited by - callahan on 08/17/2007 16:36:08
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  13:12:14  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For the people that downloaded the leaked version of the final album from emusic, can we have some spoilers?

== jeffamerica ==
Go to Top of Page

the_great_stupido
- FB Fan -

16 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  22:09:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FYI, Bluefinger will be BBC 6Music's album of the day shortly. It was due to be this coming Monday, but I think it's been put back a week.
Go to Top of Page

wolperdevelop
- FB Fan -

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  00:28:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
random question: is HOLLAND TOWN off of FMRM also inspired by Herman Brood?
Go to Top of Page

= Cult of Ray =

Australia
799 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  07:47:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wolperdevelop

random question: is HOLLAND TOWN off of FMRM also inspired by Herman Brood?

No apparently not. I asked the same question a while back, HT is about someone else, who I can't recall sorry. Chet Baker? I'm not sure, but definitely not Brood.

I have the key to #902
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  08:18:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That might have been me giving the wrong answer. Everything is New is partially about Chet Baker. For Holland Town I think there was some speculation that it could be about Herman Brood.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000