Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 Frank's Dynamic Megaphone Accompanyment?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

frank_black_francis
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
895 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  06:46:14  Show Profile  Visit frank_black_francis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I always enjoyed Frank's use of the megaphone to accompany Pixies and early Frank Black tunes. Particularly with "Ole for Mulholland". It was one of the aspects that I really enjoyed about some of his songs and his music in general.

This kinda dynamism, in terms of arrangements, has not been around for awhile and I miss it. That is not to say that I do not like the new directions he has been going in over the last few years....I just miss things like the megaphone.

It seemed, especially in the case of Mulholland, to be a incredibly inspired and creative tool that is an example of Frank's musical capabilities. It was genius.

mr.biscuitdoughhead
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1729 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  09:02:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Megaphones in songs are awesome.

Was it a megaphone in Trompe le Monde when he says the "we went to the store" part?

"Am I the one you're thinking of
when the sun goes down into the water...?"
Go to Top of Page

Doog
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1220 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  09:02:49  Show Profile  Visit Doog's Homepage  Click to see Doog's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's neat and that, but it's not like it hadn't be done (or at least simulated) before.

------------------
www.myspace.com/doog = solo choons
www.myspace.com/casabonitaband = noisey stuff
www.myspace.com/WKtheband = surfrockpop geekery
www.myspace.com/ukpixiestribute = Nimrod's Son
Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  09:15:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes, if you can holler real good, you can get a mic to crap out and the resulting effect might sound megaphonish to some ears.
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  09:28:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

"I've got a fever and the only prescription is more MEGAPHO..." eh, that joke is so worn out.

quote:
Originally posted by mr.biscuitdoughhead

Megaphones in songs are awesome.

Was it a megaphone in Trompe le Monde when he says the "we went to the store" part?

I read somewhere it's a CB. It sounds like a walkie talkie to me, though.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  10:48:32  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree, fbf. Ole Mulholland is one of my favourite Charles Thompson songs, and the part you mention, along with the music sends shivers. I'm trying to remember if the intro to 'Dead' had some sort of effect going on without me having to find Doolittle, and if there's a Catholics song out there with CB/megaphoney thingy. My mind's gone blank.

Whatever it be, here it is in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oncqJb-nzFI

Edited by - fbc on 02/25/2007 10:57:52
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  11:33:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apart from the megaphone, there is an infinity of sound textures and odd instruments that could be good choices along with Frank's original songwriting.
If one day Tom Waits produces, no doubt that there will be a lot of those strange sounds.
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_francis
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
895 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  12:46:52  Show Profile  Visit frank_black_francis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doog

It's neat and that, but it's not like it hadn't be done (or at least simulated) before.

That's hardly the point...yes, of course its "been done". But, the way it has been used, especially in Ole for Mulholland is particularly creative. Its not just a point-blank additive that just sounds cool.

There is an infinite numbers of things a musician has at his or her disposal to make a song more interesting or multi-dimensional. However, it is the CHOICES that are made that make all the difference. My point is, it was a great choice on his part.
Go to Top of Page

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  14:17:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frank_black_francis

quote:

That's hardly the point...yes, of course its "been done". But, the way it has been used, especially in Ole for Mulholland is particularly creative. Its not just a point-blank additive that just sounds cool.

There is an infinite numbers of things a musician has at his or her disposal to make a song more interesting or multi-dimensional. However, it is the CHOICES that are made that make all the difference. My point is, it was a great choice on his part.

I see what you mean in Mulholland. The natural compression of the megaphone and the tone of Frank's speech makes it sound like a mix beetween rap and a weird political speech.
It's actualy very close to "Help Me Somebody" by David Byrne and Brian Eno (in "My life in the bush of Ghosts"). Wow, I haven't been listening this for ten years or so, I got to put the hand on it. If I remember well, it's really really good.
In TOTY there is another weird voice, at the end of Pure Denizen, with an odd rock'n'roll riff. I don't think it's a megaphone, but the singing is great because it's totally out of tune and sweet to listen at the same time. Like a Roy Orbison from another planet.
Go to Top of Page

hammerhands
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1592 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  14:29:47  Show Profile  Visit hammerhands's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is this known as a talk-back microphone?
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  16:17:25  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grotesque

quote:
Originally posted by frank_black_francis

quote:

I see what you mean in Mulholland. The natural compression of the megaphone and the tone of Frank's speech makes it sound like a mix beetween rap and a weird political speech.
It's actualy very close to "Help Me Somebody" by David Byrne and Brian Eno (in "My life in the bush of Ghosts"). Wow, I haven't been listening this for ten years or so, I got to put the hand on it. If I remember well, it's really really good.
In TOTY there is another weird voice, at the end of Pure Denizen, with an odd rock'n'roll riff. I don't think it's a megaphone, but the singing is great because it's totally out of tune and sweet to listen at the same time. Like a Roy Orbison from another planet.

The vocals at the end of "Pure Denizen" mark one of the few times FB has sung in a low register. It might be a megaphone. I hear some sort of distortion (but it could just be these headphones).
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_francis
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
895 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  02:22:45  Show Profile  Visit frank_black_francis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blckfrncs

Interesting thread. Glad you dig megaphone, or megaphone-like eq. I guess the hesitation in using something like that is that it can be done A LOT, and one does not want to use a sound so specific if one thinks that it is being heavily used in other recordings. I feel the same way about "b-3" hammond organ, which I love, but it has been used so much in a syrupy kind of way that one is tempted to NOT USE it as a color out of a kind of FEAR. Also, the FB & The Cs records, being live, were not intending to utilize production so much as they were to utilizing instruments and recording equipment in a less processed manner. blah blah blah.

bf

Thanks for your response...much appreciated....and again, Its use in Ole For Mulholland, brilliant!
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  04:46:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Using the megaphone effect only makes sense in a song like "Ole Mulholland," where it's being used to let another "character" speak in the song. Beyond that, I can see how it could be overused. The screen shot from the SNL cowbell skit is really apt here, Jason, though I think you were posting it mainly to be funny. A little cowbell -- like a little megaphone -- goes a long way. And if I'm not mistaken, "Ole Mulholland" has a little cowbell.

I like what Frank says about using the instruments more than the production in the Catholics era. For my money, the live recording method is the truer way. The musicians' souls are bared more. But I'm more into stripped-down versions of everything than I think most fans are. I really enjoyed the solo acoustic shows last year -- where the two "tone colors" were voice and acoustic guitar -- whereas I got the sense a lot people were longing to hear full productions of songs like "Cactus" and "Two Reelers."

Please pardon me, for these my wrongs.
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  08:23:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's been playing stripped-down CACTUS for years...since Bowie revived it...probably even before that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His name is Dalton. He's got a degree in philosophy.
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

Otherfellers
- FB Fan -

Ireland
87 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  21:20:34  Show Profile  Click to see Otherfellers's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Tom Waits is the megaphone king.

A little bit of fire never hurt anyone.
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  22:16:34  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"....and your car is bitchin'" - best megaphone line ever.

Kim Deal ran with the megaphone thing for a while too with the Breeders, but I think it was actually that Shure "green bullet" mic (for harmonicas I think?).

I've seen a bunch of people use that green bullet as a second mic for vocal effects. If you sing with your lips touching the mic, you get that megaphone effect.

========
jeffamerica
========
Go to Top of Page

Steak n Sabre
* Dog in the Sand *

Uzbekistan
1013 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  05:17:32  Show Profile  Visit Steak n Sabre's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Man often had a 2 mic setup for vocals back in the day. Of course, I had imagined the second mic running into a rack of exotic voice-altering gear, and it turns out to be the 'ol megaphone EQ trick...DOH!

What?... Me Worry???
Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  16:35:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, tweaking the EQ will give you the "1970 Chevy Pickup 1-speaker AM radio effect" which is super important if you are trying to portray an old timey sounding announcement-y type of thing. But if you really crap out a mic, then you have done something noteworthy. Has anyone ever crapped out a microphone on purpose?

Tee! HA! Hmmphh!(covers mouth)

Oh dang, I gave it away.
Go to Top of Page

moksha23x
- FB Fan -

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  19:42:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZPf3Vp3nzw
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  05:02:57  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jefrey

Kim Deal ran with the megaphone thing for a while too with the Breeders, but I think it was actually that Shure "green bullet" mic (for harmonicas I think?).

I've seen a bunch of people use that green bullet as a second mic for vocal effects. If you sing with your lips touching the mic, you get that megaphone effect.

========
jeffamerica
========

what about the weird vocal effect on 'planet of sound'? It's on the album but it's different on the single version. Sounds like a voice breaker, I love how it sounds with lyrics like 'and on the planet of glass'. I mean it does sound like glass

Also,
I believe FB had a green bullit with him in the Pixies days.

---------------------------
God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  11:48:35  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

quote:
Originally posted by Jefrey

========
jeffamerica
========

what about the weird vocal effect on 'planet of sound'? It's on the album but it's different on the single version. Sounds like a voice breaker, I love how it sounds with lyrics like 'and on the planet of glass'. I mean it does sound like glass

Also,
I believe FB had a green bullit with him in the Pixies days.

---------------------------
God save the Noisies

I thought the vocal effect on Planet of Sound sounded more like a deep chorus or phaser with a really rapid cycle. I'm glad there's two versions of the songs though - on the original single, you couldn't really make out the lyrics with all the effects. I remember when that EP came out and it was so noisy and spacy, it was like a big "fuck you" to all the Bossanova haters.

========
jeffamerica
========
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  09:32:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to think the "Your car is bitchin'" line in Is She Weird? was sampled from a movie. I love the way that's done.
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_francis
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
895 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  05:10:33  Show Profile  Visit frank_black_francis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"The concrete of the aqueduct,will last as long as the Pyramids of Egypt,
Or the Parthenon of Athens, long after Joe Harryman is elected mayor of Los Angeles"
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  01:48:18  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl

I used to think the "Your car is bitchin'" line in Is She Weird? was sampled from a movie. I love the way that's done.

it's "and your car is bitchin'"

don't leave out the "and" - it loses all effectiveness.

========
jeffamerica
========
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  11:51:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgive me.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  14:58:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Apart from the megaphone, there is an infinity of sound textures and odd instruments that could be good choices along with Frank's original songwriting.
If one day Tom Waits produces, no doubt that there will be a lot of those strange sounds.

I'm really hoping it happens. Can't someone get on to Tom about it. I've asked this before, his album Bone Machine. Was that any kind of reference to Surfer Rosa's opener? Tom is megaphone king for sure and Mark E Smith is a mean exponent too. 'We can't think of nuthin'

Grotesque
= Cult of Ray =

France
777 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  11:01:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders

quote:

I'm really hoping it happens. Can't someone get on to Tom about it. I've asked this before, his album Bone Machine. Was that any kind of reference to Surfer Rosa's opener? Tom is megaphone king for sure and Mark E Smith is a mean exponent too. 'We can't think of nuthin'

If this thread has to become "Support the participation of Tom Waits as a producer" I have to add because someone asked "did he ever sat in the producer's chair" - YES he produces his own albums, and that's not a small job.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  18:43:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At last some momentum. This campaign's gotta work. Next step?

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000