* Dog in the Sand *

France
1718 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2007 :  03:30:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benji

makes me so very sad that it's reached this level when it's such amazing music

Seconded.

You can confirm the genuineness of the deceased death by clicking on this website

free music | Blackolero | Frank Black & Pixies Tributes
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2007 :  04:47:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gotta help them out.

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  03:01:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it's really upsetting. The show in Birmingham a few months ago was amazing, utterly sublime.
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  04:55:39  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I feel a Throwing Muses/Pixies/Belly Tour coming on

Edited by - fbc on 05/21/2007 04:57:05
Go to Top of Page

mr.biscuitdoughhead
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1729 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  14:13:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Too bad I won't be able to see her at the Ark this Thursday. This happens everytime someone good comes here. When I missed Morrissey I thought I'd make up for it by going to this.

I'm gonna stop complaining now.

Still hooked on cellophane...
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  01:55:24  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Amazon.fr has a few Hersh records for cheap: Sky Motel, Strange Angels and Sunny Border Blue. Which one should I get? "All of them" isn't a valid answer, although I might end up actually buying all 3.

Denis

"Can you hear me? I aint got shit to say."
Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  02:02:50  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would say Sunny Border Blue is perfect for a start, but hey: Jedi is the expert concerning Kristin

pas de bras pas de chocolat
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  02:42:30  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd go for Sunny Border Blue out of those, although Strange Angels has some really sublime moments. The latter is almost totally acoustic, whereas SBB is more full-band.
Go to Top of Page

jediroller
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1718 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  02:43:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not an expert, I'm a zealot :)

Definitely get "SBB", it's just an amazing record. It's got a "full band" sound, with Kristin playing all the instruments (except drums on one song). The songs are just great.

"Strange Angels" is a fan favourite, often considered a very good introduction - it's acoustic and folky and generally accessible.

"Sky Motel" is probably Kristin's most overlooked record. It navigates between almost radio-friendly pop-rock type songs ("A Cleaner Light", "Echo") and strange melancholy tunes with shimmering guitars and gently swaying beats. It's probably not her easiest album to get into, but it's obviously worth getting, if only for the lovely "Spring" and the haunting "Cathedral Heat". (The tracklisting on Amazon is completely imaginary. There's only one CD, it's not a best of. The actual tracklisting: 1. Echo 2. White Trash Moon 3. Fog 4. Costa Rica 5. A Cleaner Light 6. San Francisco 7. Cathedral Heat 8. Husk 9. Caffeine 10. Spring 11. Clay Feet 12. Faith)

Awesome! I fuckin' shot this!
"Les Blackolero, y sont forts en sacramant" - Czar | 06/26/2007 | 20:10:34

Edited by - jediroller on 08/09/2007 02:45:42
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  06:15:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'd endorse SBB, but they're all wonderful records.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  06:56:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy birthday, Kristin, by the way. She turned 41 on Tuesday -- the same day I turned 35.

There's a perfect explanation for the shit that I've been in. As soon as I find out, I'll let you know.
Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  07:48:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

Happy birthday, Kristin, by the way. She turned 41 on Tuesday -- the same day I turned 35.

And the same day my son turned 3.

I know Denis didn't mention The Grotto as one of the albums going cheap on Amazon, but I love it.

No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God George Bush snr
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  09:26:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Birthday Kristin, and Llama Jr. :)
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  15:04:03  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If I'm not too late:

get Sunny Border Blue, the best of the bunch. Strange Angles is ok, but my least favourite Kristen-cd.
Sky Motel is great powerpoppy music.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  13:25:53  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sunny Border Blue.

an undisclosed number of visitors can't be wrong
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  13:52:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get Sky Motel if you want something closer to Throwing Muses (although it's not that close). Sunny Border Blue sounds more like a solo Kristin Hersh record. I'm not a big fan of the songs on SBB, but it seems to be a favorite amongst fans.
Go to Top of Page

jediroller
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1718 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  08:50:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From Kristin's latest blog:

"Thoughts On Sustainability

• I often feel there is an inverse relationship between quality of output and material success in the music business. This is distressing, but not out of line with what I've come to expect. Throwing Muses would wander the halls of Warner Brothers back in the day, muttering, "You don't have to suck in order to work here, but it helps."

• Now, however, the financial climate and current upheaval in the music business mean that musicians like me are genuinely poor investments for the traditional powers that be. We do not engage in lowest common denominator trendiness, and so don't warrant the expenses of marketing dollars and company overhead.

• Okay, I get that; this is a business. However, I believe that when you sell toothpaste, you should be selling a goo that helps prevent cavities and when you sell music, you should be selling sound that enriches the listener's inner life. There is today a twisted kind of natural selection in the entertainment industry -- a sort of "survival of the blandest" -- the result, I imagine, of mind-fucking marketing techniques, bandwagon appeal, hype. To me this stuff is ugly, not beautiful.

• Given this, I can only assume that record labels are not for me. I've said it before -- I will always play music -- but in the past, it was a record company's job to make sure you heard that music. They sold their product; they had funded it, it was theirs to sell. How to sell music without them? I liken our situation to that of the family farmer's -- how can we keep from going under without going corporate?

• This is what I think: we specialize -- we offer an organic product. It is lumpy and expensive and made with love and it can save you. It's the right thing to do. It isn't shiny or poisonous, which can be disconcerting to people who've been raised on shiny poison, but it's natural, it's high-end and we want you to eat it.

• To that end, I think I need to engage in a grassroots kind of capitalism, choosing principles over profits, values over image, ideals over marketing. I have to create a permeable membrane between artist and listener -- I'm a craftsperson, after all. The church of the rock star that the music industry televangelists hawk has always been anathema to me anyway. This is about songs and sounds, nothing else.

• Music is a tenuous profession in good times, hard times mean some of us disappear. I'm not looking for pity, but collaboration. Coming to you is the best way I can think of to continue being a musician.

• The model is not new, it's akin to public radio's listener supported programming and Community Supported Agriculture's subscriptions to underwrite crops. In other words, music grows on trees, but money doesn't and I'm unwilling to suck in order to work here. Therein lies the value proposition. This little business will be interactive and intelligent; you will not be lied to, no shiny poison, no middle man.

• The idea of relying on listeners, treating music as a cooperative, is humbling, yet interesting to me. This is a bit of a manifesto, I'm sorry, and now I'll shut up, but I wonder if we might be able to do this together."

And this is from the latest ThrowingMusic newsletter:

"CASH Music Project - An Introduction:

ThrowingMusic is happy to announce an entirely new musical endeavor. We're calling it the Coalition of Artists & Stake Holders, or the "CASH Music Project". CASH Music represents a new music business model which we hope you'll not only support but also help us shape, by sharing with us your thoughts, suggestions & opinions.

Over the next couple of weeks, we will come to you with a new kind of offering from Kristin. We're planning lots of great new content, including a brand-new studio recording posted to Kristin's blog every month - free of charge.

We're committed to not holding music hostage, the music will be free. We’ll be asking for donations and offer you the opportunity to subscribe to Kristin’s career – past, present and future.

The business of music clearly needs an overhaul. We're going to present our ideas - and with your help, we'll endeavor to create a sustainable, fair-trade music business model.

This will be a strictly independent and self-sustaining venture -- for better or for worse. No record label, no distributor, no middle-man -- just Kristin, the songs and you.

We're hoping to finally take the leap and see what all of us together, as a small but enthusiastic community of 'stake-holders' can do for ourselves.

Thank you for reading this far -- we'll be in touch soon!"

Awesome! I fuckin' shot this!
"Les Blackolero, y sont forts en sacramant" - Czar | 06/26/2007 | 20:10:34

Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  09:07:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeha, it's an exciting prospect.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  01:44:44  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I love Kristin's music, but sometimes I think she is exaggerating the whole ''I don't make a lot of money, because I don't suck and my music is for the soul and real instead of fake''.
She has a good point and isn't searching for pity, still there is some music that doesn't suck
and is real and that does make some decent money. That ''shiny poison''strucks the wrong chord with me. Something a bitter elite-person would say.
Not saying that Kristin did anything wrong, and I reckon the music bussiness is not a fair bussiness, and she should be rewarded with more money than she possibly makes now.

Go to Top of Page

mr.biscuitdoughhead
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1729 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  12:22:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol

Into the sea, you and me, all these years and no one heard.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  15:55:44  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
it was such a good point I had to make it more than once
but I deleted the extra two
maybe you should do to mr.b

Go to Top of Page

jimmy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
876 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  18:42:53  Show Profile  Visit jimmy's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I agree, bill. I love TM/KH/50' but sometimes that attitude turns me off. Even on the radio there are sometimes good songs that become popular & make money, like that song "Crazy" from last summer.

By the way, there's this song, reminds me of Doolittle Side Two, I think it's called "Wolfboy", lyrics: "Old gypsy woman spoke to me/ said "You're a wolfboy, get out of this town"
Does anyone know the name & band?

check out my friend's paintings at http://myspace.com/landspeedsong
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  16:13:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NZ Herald.

Songs of a spiritual mind

5:00AM
Friday October 12, 2007
By Scott Kara

PERFORMANCE
Who:
Kristin Hersh, from Throwing Muses
Playing: Kings Arms, Sunday, October 14.
Essential albums: Throwing Muses - Hunkpapa (1989), The Real Ramona (1991), Red Heaven (1993), University (1995). Solo - Hips and Makers (1994), Learn To Sing Like A Star (2006).

Kristin Hersh battles with her songs and sometimes they almost kill her. But despite a prolific career, during which she has released eight Throwing Muses albums, seven solo albums, and one as 50 Foot Wave, a power trio she started so she could vent, the songs haven't got her just yet.

Hersh, who suffered from a form of bipolar disorder that caused her to hallucinate, is a happy and cheery talker despite the dark and troubled subjects she delves into. She also has a unique way of explaining her music.

"I never know, when I go off to write a song, if I'm going to come back because it's like going to a place that would make you psychotic, make you a junkie, or would make you dead. All I can do is approach it without my brain, I have to see it as a spiritual response and that's when I can live with it. And that's not comfortable.

"I don't think it [music] is going to kill me anymore, and I'm still honoured to hang out with music, but it has a huge impact and it's frightening."

She admits she is "excruciatingly shy" and playing live is also a hard thing to do.

"Before I play, I'm thinking, 'How do I get out of here? You've got the wrong girl. This is not good'. But when I'm playing I'm not there anyway so it really doesn't matter. I can't be shy on stage because only the songs are on stage as far as I'm concerned."

Back when she first started a band as a teenager in 1981 in Newport, Rhode Island, with her stepsister Tanya Donnelly (who went on to form Belly), she was into Los Angeles punks X, the Violent Femmes and the Meat Puppets.

"Songwriting, initially anyway, was a psychotic episode in my life and to hear other people making sounds that were just as moving to me as the songs I was writing probably kept me here," she says. "I'm not exaggerating when I tell you that those bands saved my life."

In the mid-80s Throwing Muses signed to pioneering independent label 4AD, whose roster included top indie bands of the times like the Pixies and Cocteau Twins.

She describes the late 80s, early 90s as her "lost years" but they would prove to be formative years for Hersh's growing fan base. Although Throwing Muses didn't quite reach the heights of contemporaries the Pixies (a band Hersh lived with at one stage in a Los Angeles apartment building), thanks to albums like Hunkpapa (1989), The Real Ramona (1991), and University (1995) the band's angular, spirited and hallucinatory rock sound gained them a large following. She released her first solo album, Hips and Makers, in 1994.

As for her latest album, Hersh is confused by it.

"I'm often confused by my records," she laughs. "The one before it was called The Grotto and it's so small it's almost silent. It's this fragile little atmospheric thing. I couldn't even put a guitar on it, and I play guitar. It wouldn't take backing vocals. It's this funny little midnight session of a piece."

So, with Sing Like A Star she has made the "biggest record I've ever made". Although, she confesses, "I don't even like big records."

Hersh has lived a nomadic life, touring a lot and moving her family from town to town in the US, but in the last few years she has been looking at moving to New Zealand.

"It's my favourite place on planet earth and I don't say that to every country that calls," she laughs. "In fact when Bush was re-elected I tried to move there and you lot were very sweet about it. I've just taken a while doing it but sometimes they call and say, 'How's it going? Are you comin' over?' I'm like, 'Any day now'."

Kristin Hersh says music saved her life.
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  17:02:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow. what a great interview. what a great personal journey. i wasn't aware of that. how courageous to come out about the bi polar disorder. amazing.

We're all obscure fans.- trobrianders
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2009 :  10:05:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
50 Foot Wave's latest 25 minute opus, Power + Light, available for free download. Or donate.
http://50footwave.cashmusic.org/

And everything by them in one 400MB dowload; 50 Foot Wave, Golden Ocean and Free Music
http://50footwave.cashmusic.org/freemusic/

The whole thing's financed by voluntary contributions.

"CASH Music is a non-profit organization dedicated to improving the music experience for artists and listeners alike. We're building a free open-source platform that is designed to serve and benefit all facets of the music industry and greater music community.

We're working directly with artists to find the best way forward for them and their music, helping to build unique experiences online and off. But more than anything we're trying to make sure that music remains a vital part of our culture, and an integral part of our increasingly digital lives".

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2009 :  10:36:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a taste
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQFgq6WVUyo

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2009 :  22:05:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quality clip from Burnley library of all places.
Slippershell http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFONNkZ4v1A

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  23:55:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New song, Bliss, on Kristin's site
http://kristinhersh.cashmusic.org/

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  14:59:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha. 4 posts in a year and they're all mine. Whatever!

July dates UK. Sweet.

June 03 - Kristin Hersh
Iron Horse, Northampton, MA

June 04 - Kristin Hersh
Rubin Museum - Naked Soul
New York, NY

July 18 - Kristin Hersh
TBC, UK

July 22 - Kristin Hersh
TBC, UK

July 23 - Kristin Hersh
TBC, UK

jimmy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
876 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  15:46:51  Show Profile  Visit jimmy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm going to the show at the Iron Horse in Northampton, MA; if anyone wants to meet up and buy me a few drinks let me know.

FB, Pixies, Breeders, Belly, record sleeves at my blog, RJ Battles http://rjbattles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  12:40:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, jimmy. Thanks for the invite. I live very far away can't join you, but will be there in spirit.
Go to Top of Page

jimmy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
876 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  14:49:47  Show Profile  Visit jimmy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Come on, DG, it's still a couple months away, don't give up so easily, I think it'd be a lot of fun.

If you're not going, I'm not going.

FB, Pixies, Breeders, Belly, record sleeves at my blog, RJ Battles http://rjbattles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  18:22:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You rock jimmy. It would be very cool. I wish $ grew on trees :)

Have you been to the Iron Horse before?
Go to Top of Page

jimmy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
876 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  11:38:04  Show Profile  Visit jimmy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi DG, yeah, it's a really cool place, intimate. I've been there a few times-

Frank Black & the Catholics on the "Dog In The Sand" tour (he started the show say, "Let's break the ice with some Tom Waits" and everyone went crazy and they played the best version of "The Black Rider" I've heard from them; "I've Seen Your Picture" was awesome too).

This cool band from Canada, The Hidden Cameras.

And I saw Kristin Hersh with a full band in 2007 when she was touring for "Learn to Sing Like a Star". That was fun- I'd gone alone but I met another guy and we went to some other bars and played pool and he bought me the first 50 Foot Wave EP.

Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2010 :  09:58:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey jimmy, that's so cool. Seems like a great venue.

So are you counting down the days to the show?

I can't wait to see what songs she ends up playing.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000