Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

jediroller
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1718 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2007 :  06:06:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He'd quit drumming because he had a family to support, a new graphic design business to run, and so on. I've never heard anything about an injury. You might want to ask that question over at throwingmusic.com though.

free music | Blackolero | Frank Black & Pixies Tributes
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2007 :  13:11:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Graphic design. Cool. I once asked him to do me a doodle at a record signing. He drew himself giving a two finger salute (fuck off not victory). Ha. Relieved to hear no injury.

Edited by - trobrianders on 02/03/2007 13:12:51
Go to Top of Page

jediroller
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1718 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2007 :  15:11:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He designed a few of Kristin's latest records' covers, including Learn to Sing Like a Star, and I believe he did every 50FootWave cover.

Go to Top of Page

rbarthjr
- FB Fan -

1 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  13:16:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darwin

Is really traveling the US just doing in store appearances?

I asked Billy O'Connell at Kristin's Chicago Borders instore appearance Tuesday when she'd be touring the US, and he told me it would be shortly after returning from Europe. She is definitely doing a US tour.

Edited by - rbarthjr on 02/10/2007 13:18:01
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  13:31:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info.
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  16:29:58  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kristin's new record is phenomenal.
I've had mp3's for a while, and am very much looking forward to getting my hands on a real cd version tomorrow.
the grotto had pieces of absolutel magic (vitamins v being one of the best songs she's ever recorded) but the new one is astounding.
i love how she still finds time to put out amazing record after amazing record.
she's a true legend.

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  10:14:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She's playing the Temple Bar Music Centre here on 12th March. I actually played there with my friend's band.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2007-03-01/music/kristin-hersh

Kristin Hersh
Learn to Sing Like a Star (Yep Roc)
By D.X. Ferris
Published: March 1, 2007

Sexually inquisitive college girls have Ani DiFranco. Metaphysically minded faerie fetishists have Tori Amos. And aging Gen-X hipsters have Kristin Hersh. Of the three women, the latter is the most underrated and vital artist, and probably the most normal. On Learn to Sing Like a Star — her 21st release in the 21 years since she founded Throwing Muses — Hersh is still one of rock's few married parents who can write and sing as urgently as a tortured single white female fumbling through her twenties. On "Day Glo" she groans, "This isn't anything/Nice silver lining/Getting up is what hurts/Then you'll melt into the background." Maybe it's about a hangover. Maybe it's about aging. Whether you're 21 or 35, it'll hit a nerve. The bleak content won't faze her regular listeners, but the music will impress those who felt her solo material had faded since 2001's electrifying Sunny Border Blue. Serving as her backing band and fleshing out Hersh's acoustic guitar and trademark strings are Muses drummer David Narcizo, along with the McCarricks, an experimental duo who bring along tubular bells, a shaker, and backward piano loops. Blend all of that together and you've got an album full of haunting chamber rock, jarring dynamics, and a morose ambience evoking the Pixies and Nirvana's Unplugged. — D.X. Ferri

Edited by - Carl on 03/04/2007 12:18:36
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  10:18:13  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl

I actually played there with my friend's band.

What, Headers and Volleys?

http://www.freewebgamez.com/game/699/Headers-and-Volleys.html

Edited by - fbc on 03/02/2007 10:19:57
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  10:20:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hehe, yeah, we had a little match on the stage! The audience left after two minutes. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  12:19:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seeing her in Birmingham on Sunday. Can't wait!
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  17:00:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Koko on Tuesday, can't wait either.

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  17:15:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent show tonight, in Birmingham. I heartily recommend the latest record!
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  14:00:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

Excellent show tonight, in Birmingham. I heartily recommend the latest record!

Solo or band?

jediroller
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1718 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  23:46:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a sort of "full band solo tour". She plays with the McCarricks on cello and violin (who also open for her), Bernard Georges on bass and Rob Ahlers on drums. The latter are also two-thirds of 50 Foot Wave, but here they play "sensitive" songs. She calls it "Pussyfoot Wave".

You can confirm the genuineness of the deceased death by clicking on this website

Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  09:23:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I gave a mate the album to see if he wanted to come to the Glasgow gig with me. He hated it.

Scratching the surface without a purpose won't accomplish anything new

Upload your Frank photos here - fb.net gallery

Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  12:04:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jediroller

It's a sort of "full band solo tour". She plays with the McCarricks on cello and violin (who also open for her), Bernard Georges on bass and Rob Ahlers on drums. The latter are also two-thirds of 50 Foot Wave, but here they play "sensitive" songs. She calls it "Pussyfoot Wave".

You can confirm the genuineness of the deceased death by clicking on this website

I laughed so hard at the last 50 Foot Wave gig. Tell me I'm right. They're a riot, no? I'm just now heading off to Koko. Bliss.

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2007 :  20:18:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Came across a blog review here:

http://redmedicine.wordpress.com/2007/03/21/kristen-hersh-learn-to-sing-like-a-star-2007/
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  12:33:03  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
a truly phenomenally good soundboard kristin show from 2002 has been posted to dimeadozen and also for download from wildvanilla.co.uk
is a must have
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=139397
http://www.wildvanilla.co.uk/

Kristin Hersh, Live SBD CDR FT 02-May-2002 Somerville, MA

Live Soundboard recording of Kristin Hersh Solo acoustic doing lots of new material..including new Throwing Muses songs. Recorded on DAT.

This is really an incredibly good recording and contains two previously unreleased tracks! What more could you ask for? Acustic version of some Throwing Muses and 50 Foot Wave songs? Done.

Setlist

01. Civil Disobedience
02. Diving
03. Blessed
04. Somewhere In America
05. Deep Wilson
06. Pandora's Box
07. Vitamins V
08. Mercury
09. White Suckers
10. Lavender
11. Milk Street
12. Speed and sleep
13. Costa Rica
14. Like A Baby (Ether)
15. Trouble
16. Snakeface
17. Your Dirty Answer

Soundboard->DAT->???->Received in trade on CDR -> xAct -> flac

this one really deserves some fantastic artwork....jedi??????

Go to Top of Page

jediroller
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1718 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  23:09:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am flattered :) I've been thinking about making a cover for this one actually.
No time yet, but I will.

Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  00:38:41  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well all the artwork i've got that you made is outstanding.
and an outstanding recording deserves some brilliant artwork...
makes sense to me.

well fingers crossed that you get time at some stage to put some time into this....

Go to Top of Page

kelladwella
= Cult of Ray =

Germany
729 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  01:53:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw her play yesterday. Good show, great set. And I really liked the cello/violin enhanced 50Ft.Wave setting they had. She sure has a great voice. And did more screaming than I expected. Which totally rocks! I would love to hear her cover Tame someday.

Only thing was - once again in Berlin I have to say - the rather small crowd. Maybe it was just the monday evening date.

And I have to get the show from dime benji mentioned. Hhmmm. Soundboard.

Go to Top of Page

jediroller
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1718 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  15:19:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Benji - thanks again. So here it is - a total ripoff, but I hope you like it anyway. After all, I'm only ripping off talented people.

Front | Back

Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  17:07:05  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks a bunch jedi...
once again, outstanding work...

maybe just one thing...billyO's intro is a seperate track on the download...not a biggy obviously, but just in case you didn't know...

you going to post these links on the thread at tm.com and dime?

Edited by - benji on 03/30/2007 17:08:39
Go to Top of Page

jediroller
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1718 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  13:18:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heh. I've not even listened to the damn thing yet :)
It's corrected now. Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2007 :  14:10:39  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Front | Back

Magnifique !

-----
BLACKOLERO le only Frank Black / Pixies site 100% in français
Go to Top of Page

jediroller
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1718 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  10:54:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Somerville bootleg is now available on archive.org

http://www.archive.org/details/KristinHersh2002-05-02.flac16

Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  13:37:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Somerville bootleg is now available on archive.org

http://www.archive.org/details/KristinHersh2002-05-02.flac16

This is just fantastic. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  05:23:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benji

a truly phenomenally good soundboard kristin show from 2002 has been posted to dimeadozen and also for download from wildvanilla.co.uk
is a must have
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=139397
http://www.wildvanilla.co.uk/

Wonderful. Thank you so much.

Edited by - trobrianders on 04/15/2007 05:24:17
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  15:47:48  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i've been trying to upload the Sparkle bootleg to various sites with absolutely zero luck.
dime wouldn't take it cause dates and venues aren't known.
archive.org wouldn't take it cause it's a compilation of 5 different live sets....
think i might try bt.etree.org next, but will see what the archive.org dude says one more time...

anyways, i uppped 3 songs as samplers to throwingmusic.com and thought some people here might be interested to boot.
me and my charms http://www.sendspace.com/file/k7uk1g
your ghost http://www.sendspace.com/file/zny8mb
cottonmouth http://www.sendspace.com/file/ooma2b

Edited by - benji on 04/25/2007 15:50:40
Go to Top of Page

cptnpasty
- FB Fan -

Spain
151 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2007 :  08:00:35  Show Profile  Visit cptnpasty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
she seems to play mondays a lot, every time i've seen her its ben a monday. what's the story with that?
Go to Top of Page

trobrianders
> Teenager of the Year <

Papua New Guinea
3302 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  05:47:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I noticed that. And it always rains cos she always says 'Thanks for coming out in the rain'.

Edited by - trobrianders on 05/07/2007 05:59:38
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2007 :  15:42:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got this email today. . . .

The "family bus" has dealt Kristin's touring party a near-death blow today. Yesterday, outside Coeur d'Alene, Idaho they blew a hydraulic hose. Everyone sat in a crippled, over-heating bus, in the middle of the woods and mountains with no cell service for miles. A service station employee down a lonely road took pity on them, called a friend and had that friend search out a bus and truck mechanic who could not only fix our bus, but also come to us -- 34 miles from anywhere.

The band, crew, kids & dogs slept on the 1 bed, couches and floors of the bus in the parking lot of a country coffee shop waiting for a part to be delivered. At 9 a.m. this morning, $800 later, they got rolling again -- for a whole 9 miles -- before another hose blew again!

Everyone's now holed-up in a motel in Northern Idaho, the bus has been towed to a shop where it will be out of commission until Tuesday at the earliest. Kristin and Billy are scrambling to acquire adequate transport so they can finish this tour. The Minneapolis show will not happen. We hope it's the only one to be canceled and that all can make it to Chicago by Tuesday.

What a bummer. Thousands and thousands of dollars lost, challenge heaped upon challenge...we're pretty sure the universe is trying to tell us something. More on that later. In the meantime, follow along with the discussion on our message board: http://www.throwingmusic.com/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=2832&tstart=0

Wish us luck...hope for the best...expect the worst and maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Love from,

Your Friends at ThrowingMusic

bluefinger
Go to Top of Page

kelladwella
= Cult of Ray =

Germany
729 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2007 :  18:10:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! There are still lots of seeders for the torrent on Dime. Super fast download, too.
Thank you Daisy for bringing this thread to my attention again. I had almost forgotten...
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2007 :  00:08:58  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
there's been a very good audience video from march this year with soundboard audio uploaded to dime recently as well for those who haven't seen it yet:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=146422

Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2007 :  00:22:26  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
such bad/sad luck.
billyo's posted a couple more on the tm board.
makes me so very sad that it's reached this level when it's such amazing music:

In the spirit of openness and to answer TurboC's question -- unfortunately yes, the tour(s) as a whole have been a money pit. It's so disappointing, especially as we thought that by bringing the Big Show out on the road, we'd have the opportunity to draw more people and regain some ground lost over the last few years. It's so bad out here these days that we'd be just covering expenses even if we'd toured solo-acoustic -- I have to say it's been bleak with very few exceptions.

Thank you all for your concern. We've managed to rent a truck and a minivan...and are in the process of loading kids, gear, adults and dogs into these vehicles at noon today, local time. More expense, added hotel rooms, more hardship (ever tried doing 1800 miles in 2 1/2 days with a car filled like ours will be?) This will break us. Such a drag and so many tears. Music is the only good reason to suffer all this -- but something's going to have to change. We're now officially destitute.

All our love back to all of you for the concern, love and good vibes.

and the next one:
We're under way and en route to Chicago...we made Bozeman, MT this evening, which isn't bad considering our necessarily late start from Idaho. Everyone in our camp is being remarkably sweet and buoyant and we're so grateful for their patience and good natures.

You all are another story. We've cried reading your posts and seeing your generous gifts roll in. We could not be more touched, humbled or proud -- proud of the love and friendship that this music has inspired. It's a huge gift and not one we've ever sought or expected. Thank you is all we can really say. Thank you. We sincerely hope that none of you have given more than you can or should. The pit in our stomachs at that very thought is bottomless. Please do not give a gift that you yourself can't afford.

We'll stay in touch...and see you in Chicago!

Love,
Us

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000