Other bands/songs that remind you of FB
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

someguy51
- FB Fan -

Canada
30 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2006 :  21:58:44  Show Profile  Visit someguy51's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was listening to the new NoFX album today. There was a song called "Cool And Unusual Punishment" that had a guitar part in it that was very "Frankish". Anyone hear that song? Know what I mean? What other bands or songs remind you of Frank Black or the Pixies?

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  12:17:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was an 80s/90s alt band ... sang something about a monkey going to heaven ...

Shiny!
Go to Top of Page

Doog
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1220 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  17:34:58  Show Profile  Visit Doog's Homepage  Click to see Doog's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The main chord progression to Say It Ain't So by Weezer is the same as Where Is My Mind, it just starts on a different chord..

------------------
www.myspace.com/doog = solo choons
www.myspace.com/casabonitaband = noisey stuff
www.myspace.com/WKtheband = surfrockpop geekery
www.myspace.com/ukpixiestribute = Nimrod's Son
Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  17:54:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"There's only so many notes available. Even considering order and syncopation there's not infinite possibilities, dude!" "It's all mathematical!"

This is what a guy told me who had proudly performed his "new song" for me that was a cut and dried rip off of McCartney's Blackbird. I guess he's right to a degree, but just don't run out of ideas in The Beatles neighborhood, alright? Next....
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  19:57:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is so cliche but Stephen Malkamus in the songwriting definately. Honeycomb and FMRM remind me of Dylan.
Go to Top of Page

switchy
- Gigographer -

324 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  20:13:22  Show Profile  Visit switchy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
anybody see The Who on Letterman last night? the song they did ("man in a purple dress" or something?) kinda reminded me of a Frank song.. "manitoba" i think.

gapu
- FB Fan -

Austria
106 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  07:29:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yakuza have a song called marycan... the singers voice reminds me on fb and actually the whole atmosphere. but theres are particular part in the song that sounds very frank blackish to me...
Go to Top of Page

zippermouth29
- FB Fan -

Canada
40 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  13:38:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone heard Carribean Wind by Dylan? For some reason everytime I hear it I can't help but imagine FB and the C's playing it.

Forget your yin and go f*ck your yang.
Go to Top of Page

Doog
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1220 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  14:18:53  Show Profile  Visit Doog's Homepage  Click to see Doog's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ScottP

"There's only so many notes available. Even considering order and syncopation there's not infinite possibilities, dude!" "It's all mathematical!"

This is what a guy told me who had proudly performed his "new song" for me that was a cut and dried rip off of McCartney's Blackbird. I guess he's right to a degree, but just don't run out of ideas in The Beatles neighborhood, alright? Next....

Sounds like a douche. I know loads of current bands who don't rip off old songs.

------------------
www.myspace.com/doog = solo choons
www.myspace.com/casabonitaband = noisey stuff
www.myspace.com/WKtheband = surfrockpop geekery
www.myspace.com/ukpixiestribute = Nimrod's Son
Go to Top of Page

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo
* Dog in the Sand *

1056 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  18:18:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nick Cave sometimes. Particularly on the song "babe I got you bad"

++++
Go to Top of Page

Jason
* Dog in the Sand *

1446 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  10:21:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Older stuff:

Many tracks on Lee Hazlwood's Cowboy in Sweden have that same country-music-with-a-subtle-eccentric-undercurrent quality of some of Frank's Catholics stuff. (And Frank's Nancy Sinatra CD in that clip on YouTube verifies that Frank is familiar with Lee Hazlewood's work).

Lou Reed's song "Goodby Mass" off of Magic & Loss is a song from 1990 or so that I just heard a few years ago and it instantly reminded me of some of Frank and the Catholics elegant "cabaret" (or that's what I call them at least) style songs, like "This Old Heartache".

Edited by - Jason on 09/17/2006 10:22:37
Go to Top of Page

Billy Radcliffe
- FB Fan -

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  11:15:19  Show Profile  Visit Billy Radcliffe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Breeders kinda reminds me of Pixies

...And if I'm right, the urban plight is not the problem.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000