Nov. 19th, 2006 - Anaheim, CA
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  02:33:21  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.hob.com/tickets/eventdetail.asp?eventid=40675

Tickets requests, pre-gig meetings, setlists, reviews... please post here.

Denis

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  10:16:00  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
not to be a prick, but I think all those empty topics, 2 months in advance, are a bit distracting from the ones I really want to read. But I admire your hard work, Denis.

---------------------------
God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  11:32:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
since we're here though, we may as well talk about the show..

do you think it will be good?
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  13:29:03  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

not to be a prick, but I think all those empty topics, 2 months in advance, are a bit distracting from the ones I really want to read. But I admire your hard work, Denis.

Well that was extremely tedious, so thanks. It's just a test, we'll see if it works or not.

Denis

Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  10:13:26  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
point taken

---------------------------
God save the Noisies
Go to Top of Page

anazgnos
= Cult of Ray =

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  13:41:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This show sucked. Because it's not for another two months.
Go to Top of Page

HeywoodJablome
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  08:20:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank in my backyard on the last show of the tour, and my first Frank show to boot! Time to go say hello to Heinrich Himmler and the rest of the S.S. police at HOB Anaheim!!!

_______________________________________________________________________________________
"My name is Doug and I'm outta hhhhheeeere."
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  12:51:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm going to the Hollywood show already, but i may have to go to this one too, since it's the last one of the tour and all (which are usually the best ones)..
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  13:01:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm gonna go to all three. L.A. on the 17th, San Diego on 18th, and Anaheim on the 19th. Although I HATE the Anaheim HOB. Really, really hard to see the stage.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His name is Dalton. He's got a degree in philosophy.
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

HeywoodJablome
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  14:04:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's okay, the Hollywood location is better but the sight lines are still pretty good and they always do a good job with the sound. The thing I hate is how they make you walk through that entire Downtown Disney schlock-fest to get to the venue, I'm sure they designed it like that purely by accident:).

_______________________________________________________________________________________
"My name is Doug and I'm outta hhhhheeeere."
Go to Top of Page

bobo plenty
- FB Fan -

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  22:09:55  Show Profile  Visit bobo plenty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
on that not to be a prick thing, I kind of got shat on the other day for starting an LA foo topic (after I had actually attended the show) that had already been generically started several days earlier and disappeared down the pages due to lack of postings. didn't really search yet but is there a generic topic for every show on the tour? seems a bit tediuos...
Go to Top of Page

josephmichael
- FB Fan -

27 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  22:16:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to this one too. Last show should be real good. Downtown Disney is just an added bonus, except when it reminds me of all the times I was there with my ex (she loved the Disney and the Frank, then she left me...I'm going to go cry now.)
Go to Top of Page

anazgnos
= Cult of Ray =

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  07:32:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This show was AWESOME. Was it just me, or was this 20x better than LA Friday? It seemed like with it being the last night of the tour, they were really going for it the whole time. On Friday, they'd rock, and then they'd slow it down, and then later they'd rock a little more, but last night it was just solid rock, and everything rocked harder. Lots of setlist variations too. On Friday I couldn't help but comparing the band semi-unfavorably to the Catholics, but last night it barely crossed my mind. It was great. Everything I love about a Frank rock show.
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  08:10:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anazgnos

This show was AWESOME. Was it just me, or was this 20x better than LA Friday? It seemed like with it being the last night of the tour, they were really going for it the whole time. On Friday, they'd rock, and then they'd slow it down, and then later they'd rock a little more, but last night it was just solid rock, and everything rocked harder. Lots of setlist variations too. On Friday I couldn't help but comparing the band semi-unfavorably to the Catholics, but last night it barely crossed my mind. It was great. Everything I love about a Frank rock show.

Great show. However, I liked Friday better. Not that anything was wrong or bad...just preferred Friday. Maybe it had to do with the fucking annoying drunk motherfucker and his stupid fucking girlfriend and their stupid fucking drunk-ass friends trying to mosh down front and spilling beer all over me. Motherfuckers. DIE.

-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

HeywoodJablome
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  08:27:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great show. We got Calistan and Dog Gone which was a nice treat. Anyone else remember anything different? I got a quick glance at the set list and it seems like they pretty much ignored it entirely. Mostly the same songs from the other setlists but in totally different order. We missed Kentucky Prophet and Franks acoustic intro songs due to some pre-party procrastination. Walked in right as they were going into Black Rider. Nice and loose feel to the show. Frank had his shades on the whole night. At one point I yelled that it was okay to take them off, he wasn't in Hollywood any more. His reply? "Fuck off man, they're prescription". Pretty damn funny.

Thanks to Frank and the band for the tour, hope it ain't too long before you do it again.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"No one cares about your shitty band."
Go to Top of Page

HeywoodJablome
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  08:36:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Maybe it had to do with the fucking annoying drunk motherfucker and his stupid fucking girlfriend and their stupid fucking drunk-ass friends trying to mosh down front and spilling beer all over me. Motherfuckers. DIE.

Was that the guy with the tattoos all over his fore arms? Yeah, someone he was with spilled beer all over the back of my shirt. Good times...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  09:12:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HeywoodJablome

quote:
Maybe it had to do with the fucking annoying drunk motherfucker and his stupid fucking girlfriend and their stupid fucking drunk-ass friends trying to mosh down front and spilling beer all over me. Motherfuckers. DIE.

Was that the guy with the tattoos all over his fore arms? Yeah, someone he was with spilled beer all over the back of my shirt. Good times...

This was the guy. His girlfriend was so annoying. I spent a good 10 minutes envisioning their deaths...I had thoughts of murder and how I was going to kill them right there on the floor...and it bothered me because it distracted from my enjoying Frank. Anyway, I think Jarvis (sp?) is great on guitar. And EDF is always so weird and hilarious. He looks like a cross between Patrick McGoohan and my landlord. The funniest line of the night:

FB: "Remember when we got those delicious tomatoes in Omaha?"

EDF: "That was a GREAT day."

You had to be there.

-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

anazgnos
= Cult of Ray =

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  09:23:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HeywoodJablomeAt one point I yelled that it was okay to take them off, he wasn't in Hollywood any more. His reply? "Fuck off man, they're prescription".

That was excellent.

Those people were awful but, at least from where I was standing, the disruption was brief.
Go to Top of Page

bobo plenty
- FB Fan -

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  09:54:20  Show Profile  Visit bobo plenty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great show but I think I liked the friday (electric portion) better, the acoustic portion in Anaheim was probably the best out of the last three nights. Setlist was:
Nimrod's Son
I Gotta Move
Cactus
Manitoba
Western Star
------------
Black Rider
Pittsburgh
I'll Be Blue
Nadine
Burnt Out Rock n Roll
Living on Soul
Calistan
Bullet
Gyaneshwar
All Around the World
All My Ghosts
Dog Gone
10%
Terrible Ways
The Swimmer
Horrible Day
Johnny Barleycorn
------------
Sing For Joy

Lots of banter but no Remake/Remodel. Took my dad for his first Frank electric show and he loved it.
Go to Top of Page

Jefrey
= Cult of Ray =

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  12:50:24  Show Profile  Visit Jefrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Seems like the setlist that that don't play that's been posted has been kinda the same every time. I guess they just have all the songs listed and play whatever they're in the mood for that night. Maybe they tear one of the setlists up, throw the songs in a hat, and then play the first 19 or 20 songs that come out.

========
jeffamerica
========
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  13:14:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those who went, what were you guys wearing? Where were you standing? I knew you guys were out there, but didn't know who to look for. I almost shouted out "FLOOP!" and "EDBANKY!" before the show just to see if there would be a response. I was standing about 3-people back on EDF's side of the stage. I was wearing a light grey polo over a white thermal shirt and my hair was buzzed. I was with my brother. Occasionally I would make eye contact with people, wondering if they were FB.NETters, and wondering if they were wondering if I was too. I don't know. It woulda been fun to meet you guys. Guess we'll have to wait till next tour. Oh! I did hear some people behind me singing out backing vocals for I GOTTA MOVE. Were they any of you?

-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  13:57:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was on the left side with longsleeve black shirt, jeans, shoes, with my girlfriend and edbankey, aka johndietzel (a fine, young formerly-mormon chap). we looked for you tranny, but it was hard not knowing what you look like. i was trying to figure out if anyone was someone but i don't know..
i remember those ass heads on the right. at least they were into the show, but i'm glad i wasn't near them. i remember the sunglass thing too. that was funny. we kept yelling "prescription" after that, for no reason..
i saw two dudes from the friday show at this show, both were singing every work of every song, so i figured they were fb nerds.. were any of you those guys?

my girlfriend thought last night was better than Friday, but i thought Friday was better myself. last night was great, but Friday was a better show. and who is she to judge? i'm the expert here.

tranny, you owe us a drink

at least that's what your mom said
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  15:23:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw you then, Floop. In fact I was sure for some reason you were you. In fact, I made eye contact with you outside on the bar patio before the show when you walked by once. I was sitting at a little table with my bro by the stairs. Was Edbanky wearing the Dinosaur Jr. T-shirt? I should have been easy to spot...I was the guy throwing the Catholics dummies!

-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

Blues Drive Monster
- FB Fan -

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  16:22:50  Show Profile  Click to see Blues Drive Monster's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I also saw you. In fact, your girfriend scratched my nephew when Frank's first setlist was thrown into the crowd. My nephew grabbed it, but she also made a grab for it and she scratched his hand so she could take it. =/

Other than that, though, great show. My first Frank Black show, and I loved it.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  18:34:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tranny, you should have come up and said hello. Had a pre- and post-show beer with Mr Bankey, you could have joined us (and paid).

Blues Monser, sorry bout your nephew. for what it's worth, i can sympathize with him having been in a tug-o-war match with her before. not a fun place to be.

at least that's what your mom said
Go to Top of Page

bobo plenty
- FB Fan -

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  19:05:03  Show Profile  Visit bobo plenty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I saw the Dinosaur Jr shirt walk by but didn't have time for a snarky comment about laying out clothes 3 days in advance (my mouth was full of beer). Alas, he didn't walk by a second time. I was upstairs seated on a stool along the rail in front of EDF (behind the super special reserved seating). Levis and a navy Dickies work shirt, DMs. Bald like Frank (although I went there first so I guess he's bald like me) and sometimes sporting a stocking cap when my head got cold. My brother probably stood out more as he was the only one in attendance wearing a tiedye. One thing I found interesting (my brother noticed it too), in SD the PA was piped into the restrooms but in Anaheim it was Depeche Mode.
Go to Top of Page

HeywoodJablome
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  20:04:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was directly in front of Frank about 3 or 4 back in a plain white t-shirt. I don't think I was looking in your direction floop, I may have caught Tranny but it's hard to tell even with your description. All us pasty faced white boys start to look the same after a while.

Edited by - HeywoodJablome on 11/20/2006 20:05:18
Go to Top of Page

edbanky
= Cult of Ray =

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
388 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  09:31:19  Show Profile  Visit edbanky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Someone right in front of Frank knew ALL THE WORDS to "Dead Man's Curve", so maybe it was you, Heywood? Skinny, dark haired guy? I mean who, other than us, could be singing along to the entire song?

One time as I walked along the back of the balcony, someone just said "Dinosaur Jr" as I walked by. So, on my return past them, I found an open stool and sat right next to them. Then they decided to stop talking. It was weird.

I really enjoyed the show. Watching Billy was worth the price of admission (Floop: shhh). Frank was good too; he must've had them on their toes for some of the songs, dragging out lines for extra bars, etc. Mr. Jarvis looks like Lyle Fogherty or John Lovett. EDF is like a living work of art.

To add a bit of color to the story of Setlist Wrestlemania 2006, Frank accidentally slipped on, and tore his setlist from the floor, making some comment about being unable to proceed without it. So a very responsive tech guy quickly replaced it with a new one, which Frank proceeded to destroy, saying "Nah, it's too late now man. It's all fucked up" or something like that.

We tried hard to find you Transmo, but we failed. Then they kicked us off the premises. THEN I apparently violated some statute by carrying a beer outside the shadow of the HoB. Then Floop and GF and I parted ways. It was a lot of trauma to handle all in such a short period of time.

Anyway, thanks go to the Floop Troop for the drinks. Like you said, NEXT TIME I pay, for true.

Tiny Axe (MySpace)
Me singing
Go to Top of Page

HeywoodJablome
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  11:14:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
so maybe it was you, Heywood?

Nope, I had never heard that song until these last two shows.

Go to Top of Page

frankblackphx
= Cult of Ray =

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  14:54:06  Show Profile  Visit frankblackphx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What a great trip. Me and my friend drove in from Phoenix and caught the last three shows of the tour. It was amazing. I can never get enough Frank.

I was right in front of Frank for all 3 shows and it was simply amazing. Could have been me singing along to Deadman's Curve. One of my favorites. I had a black Dickies T-Shirt on. I actually think I enjoyed the San Diego show the best but all 3 nights were amazing. It seemed that I sang along with Billy Block for all 3 shows. He is amazing.

Too bad I didn't get to meet anyone from the board. It is a wonderful feeling when you are with a group of people that can understand and respect something the same way you do.

Dan

Here I am for your judgement
When the paint grows darker still
Go to Top of Page

edbanky
= Cult of Ray =

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
388 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  11:00:42  Show Profile  Visit edbanky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's some Shitakes from the show (phone camera):

Tiny Axe (MySpace)
Me singing
Go to Top of Page

oldmandavid
- FB Fan -

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  10:54:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got to attend the sunday night show too, but I almost killed my self and everybody with me, cuz i relied on them for diections, but they got shitty ones(from mapquest), and we missed more han half the show(coming in at 666), driving around in circles at disney land instead. If that weren't shity enough, we drove for like a million hours to get there, and had to drive back the very next day cuz i could only get two days off work. We left from Tempe, AZ(very close to Pheonix), drove to San Diego to pick up my two friends, and then got lost before finally getting to the concert. WHAT I DID SEE THOUGH WAS INCREDIBLE, AND ALTHOUGH WE TOO GOT KICKED OUT AFTER THE SHOW, WE HUNG AROUND LONG ENOUGH TO TALK WITH BILLY BLOC( HE CAME OUT FRONT AND WAS OUT THERE FOR LIKE 30 MINUTES). He is such a nice guy, and he even remembered me from backstage at the tempe show. I was the guy about four or five people back from EDF with a mostly black with some white button up shirt and blue jeans. i had no idea so many of you were gonna be there. Did any of you attend the tempe show?
Go to Top of Page

frankblackphx
= Cult of Ray =

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  15:59:25  Show Profile  Visit frankblackphx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I also attended the Tempe show. It was great. I think the band was a little tighter of course by the end of the tour.

I met Billy before the Anaheim show and he was amazing. A real gentleman. He recognized me from the two previous nights and came right up to me and thanked me for coming. He went on to tell me that Frank is the nicest and most talented musician he has ever worked with and hopes to continue to work with him in the future. He spent a good 10 minutes talking to me.

Thank you Billy for taking the time out to talk with us. It is really appreciated.

Dan

Here I am for your judgement
When the paint grows darker still
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  16:56:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oldmandavid

I was the guy about four or five people back from EDF with a mostly black with some white button up shirt and blue jeans. i had no idea so many of you were gonna be there. Did any of you attend the tempe show?

My goodness, you must have been standing right next to me.

-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  17:55:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whatever happened with this?
Go to Top of Page

oldmandavid
- FB Fan -

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  21:05:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was the really tall guy(6'5"). Pretty slim, Oh and of course devilishly handsome.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000