Nov. 12th, 2006 - Vancouver, BC
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  02:30:05  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.hob.com/venues/concerts/commodore/

Tickets requests, pre-gig meetings, setlists, reviews... please post here.

Denis

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  08:48:21  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll be there, if anyone wants to meet up for drinks or something drop me a line.

Nothing is ever something.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  04:26:13  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is this show confirmed? Someone pointed out that the venue website doesn't say anything about it.

Denis

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  07:28:58  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I haven't heard anything otherwise, but if we keep hearing things, I'll inquire.

From my experience with Regina I'd venture that the show is confirmed but the venue is not/there is some negotiating to be done yet.

"Now you're officially my woman. Kudos. I can't say I don't envy you."
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  23:32:20  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oooh..by some fate of chance i'll actually be in Van on the 12th...(bike races at the Burnaby Velodrome on the 11th & 12th) - i'll consider jumping in there..!

"Live life like you're gonna die...because you are." - William Shatner, You'll Have Time / Has Been
Go to Top of Page

blackletterdays
- FB Fan -

2 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  01:30:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AWESOME!!! Granted, I'm totally biased because he could fart into a tuba on stage and I'd probably still love it. Truthfully, the songs off of Honeycomb and Fastman/raiderman were played absolutely stellar.. I thought the Catholics stuff could have been better.. but really.. how can I complain??? But, it was still everything I had hoped for...

I took my friend to the show.. It was her first concert! How cool is that? Her first concert is Frank Black!
Go to Top of Page

markom
- FB Fan -

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  10:29:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great concert. The solo acoustic set gave me chills, I'd love to see a full solo show. The first song the full band played was the only one I didn't know, but thanks to the handy Frank Black Discopedia on this site, I searched for "queen" and found out the song was "Remake/Remodel".

He played all the classic b-sides like Gyaneshwar, Burnt Out Rock-and-Roll, and Dead Man's Curve. He started with Cactus and ended with Song of Joy.

Unfortunately, I feel like not many people knew the songs very well. I got a few "how the hell do you know all the words" comments when I figured Frank Black was so good everyone should know all the words. There were a lot of people who were just talking to each other during the whole concert.

And what's the deal with that Kentucky Prophet guy...
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  10:36:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it wouldn't take a genius to sing along with the last 90 percent of Gyaneshwar, even if it were the first time you'd heard it. Kinda repetitive. Anyone who can't figure that out is ... well, like you said, they're not listening, they're chatting.

I could not find my honeycomb.
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  11:41:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kentucky prophet - made a few disparaging remarks about calgary so i read the calgary thread and sure enough i guess he had reason to be disappointed. his set wasn't bad and the crowd that was there (vancouver crowds always arrive late) seemed to enjoy it. my wife talked us into buying a cd after it became painfully obvious frank wasn't selling shirts or any other merch for that matter. we bought it off kentucky prophet after the show in person and he seemed like an alright guy, talked to him about kentucky (my cousin lives there, i haven't visited yet) and avoided praising his work, after all it was a little crass, but still amusing. haven't talked to my wife yet this morning but i'm sure we will be joking about actually supporting the guy by buying a cd which will get played once and then she'll look at me with those "what was i thinking, how drunk was i?" eyes, and then we'll vow to pass it onto my 14 year-old brother who will be totally in awe and realise he can do the exact same thing, and probably will. can't wait for the phone call where he asks me for a word that rhymes with "hootchie mama". hehe, anyways on to frank.....

frank black - the fact my wife came to the show put in a great mood from the start (she doesn't like frank at all, she says his voice sounds like he needs to clear his throat). she put on a brave face and actually said she liked a couple songs, sing for joy and one i didn't recognise. he started out acoustic and played:

cactus
los angeles
wave of mutilation

then the band joined and they played: (in no particular order and what i can remember)

remake/remodel
ten percenter
raiderman
gyaneshwar
six-sixty-six
all my ghosts
johnny barleycorn
pittsburgh
terrible ways
headache
black rider
bullet
nadine (my favorite of the night)
song of joy
at least two i didn't recognise
and probably about 4 or 5 more i just can't remember right now

all in all, a great show! can't wait 'til he comes again in any non-pixies format. my wife won't be joining me the next time. ;(

The waxworks were an immensely eloquent dissertation on the wonderful ordinariness of mankind.
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  11:43:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my wife just came into the room and took my beta band cd out of the player and inserted KP, hehe.

The waxworks were an immensely eloquent dissertation on the wonderful ordinariness of mankind.
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  11:48:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it took 1 song for her to say "what were we thinking?"

Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  11:54:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha! Classic.
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  11:57:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
now she has taken the cd out and is covering up by saying he is so much better live. she asked my to say "free shipping and handling to anyone who wants it" 10 bucks canadian. beta band heroes to zeroes is a great fucking album!

Go to Top of Page

markom
- FB Fan -

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  14:03:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I don't think you're gonna be pawning off that KP CD to anyone who's actually heard him.
Go to Top of Page

kenten
- FB Fan -

10 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  18:26:13  Show Profile  Visit kenten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, here's the setlist I posted right after the show in a different thread (couldn't find this one in my lazy 6 seconds of looking):

Another great show by Frank here in Vancouver. Here's the setlist, with titles as written on the floor:

Acoustic (Frank played Cactus, Los Angeles, Wave of Mutilation), Remake, Soul, Black, Bullet, Blue, 10%, Terrible, Raider, Headache (the list said next was Gyanshwr, Suffering, Ghosts, Burn, Pittsburg, but that's not the way he played it), Pittsburgh, Burn, Suffering, Ghosts, Horrible, Johnny, Curve, Rock N Roll, World, 666, Nadine, Joy.

(I could be a little bit off because of the skipping around. Can anyone correct me? Thanks.)
Go to Top of Page

BobbyPin
- FB Fan -

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  05:58:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here's audio of Cactus from the vancouver show
http://dl2.ohshare.com/v/3990866/Frank_Bla...Cactus.wav.html

I spoke like a child,
You destroyed me with a smile

Living is easy with eyes closed,
Misunderstanding all you see
Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  20:18:15  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's been too long, I can't remember exactly where they deviated from the setlist, but the one above is pretty close anyway.

I came to this show with dejection in my gait, a result of a terrible football game I attended earlier in the day. Anyone from Saskatchewan surely feels my pain. By the end of the evening though, that was all forgotten thanks to a splendid example of a rock 'n' roll show.

This was the last of four shows for which my good friend Kevin and I put our lives on hold; maybe it was just knowing this was the end or maybe I was wiped from so much driving, but I found myself dancing less and just closely observing the performance. Kentucky Prophet was slightly more entertaining than before, and had easily the most receptive audience I saw for him - it sounded like he was working off this a bit, so good for him. He'll never be my cup o' tea, but I'm glad he found a crowd this ready to embrace him.

I've always been told Vancouver was a city with extreme love for Frank Black, but had only ever been in the city for a Pixies show - needless to say, that was nuts. On this evening, the club was packed (not bad for a long weekend Sunday) and ready for a great time. I wouldn't want to be the guy who had to count all the joints that were lit as soon as he hit the stage and started tearing into Pixies songs, although Los Angeles got just as much of a reaction as the other acoustic tunes. Kevin commented that the band seemed to be playing to the stoners on this night; I don't know if I quite agree with that, but there was definitely a little more jazz in their step this night than those previous. Not a single stinker in the whole set, and I feel it was the best I heard them do Bullet, I'll Be Blue, My Terrible Ways, I Burn Today, Horrible Day, Johnny Barleycorn, and Six-sixty-six. All My Ghosts was head and shoulders above any of the other nights I heard it as well. The showstopper, though, as I believe someone mentioned above, was Nadine. I've heard this song 17,489,277 times or so, but its greatness was renewed in my memory on this night. I couldn't stop moving while they were playing it, the vocals were perfect for the mood of the night, and the quick grunt the singer lets out after the last chorus was one of the most movingly memorable motions for which I've ever been on this planet.

Very friendly and exuberant crowd, I met a couple of cool people and saw plenty more of the same. Everyone was there for a good time, nobody had shown up just because they heard the guy from the Pixies was in town, and I can think of no better city in which to end a trip such as this. I've a lot to be thankful for...

Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  20:19:07  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As soon as there's a page for it, I'll upload my photos from this show too. My camera died during I'll Be Blue, but I got a few good pics anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Llamadance
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  02:31:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you want me to create a folder for it Crispy? Will do later today.

[edit] - here you go - Vancouver 2006-11-12 Gallery

As well as process some photos that other people have kindly uploaded. Sorry for the delay, busy weekend.

Scratching the surface without a purpose won't accomplish anything new

Upload your Frank photos here - fb.net gallery

Edited by - Llamadance on 11/21/2006 02:41:56
Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  07:49:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey crispy, were you and your buddy wearing roughriders jerseys? and you were with a third guy not in any saskatchewan memorabilia? if so, i saw you guys.

Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  14:05:51  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nah, that wasn't us, but we did chat with those guys for a minute after the show, not that I remember the conversation. The third guy was wearing a Riders sweater. I was stuck with a bunch of Lions fans.

Go to Top of Page

shineoftheever
> Teenager of the Year <

Canada
4307 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2007 :  02:16:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good, cause, my wife totally spazzed while they figured out a way to check there stuff at coai check and were taking forever and hogging all the space and dilly-dallying to save a loonie. i was embarrassed but you know what, she does a lot of the stuff i think about doing so it's all good! great show though eh?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000