Nov. 17th, 2006 - West Hollywood, CA
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  02:32:15  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.hob.com/tickets/eventdetail.asp?eventid=40702

Tickets requests, pre-gig meetings, setlists, reviews... please post here.

Denis

The New Bolero
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  12:30:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw Frank and the Catholics play with X here many years ago. It's a great, intimate place to rock out with Frank.
Go to Top of Page

HeywoodJablome
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  08:30:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last time I went to this place the house MC got on the mic and was encouraging people to smoke whatever herb they had. I thought that was a bit strange but it WAS a Yellowman show. Every show I've seen here has been good.

_______________________________________________________________________________________
"My name is Doug and I'm outta hhhhheeeere."

Edited by - HeywoodJablome on 09/06/2006 08:31:33
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  13:21:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reminds me of years ago at Armadillo World Headquarters in Austin when the MC encouraged everybody to vote for the incumbent sheriff because he had been so good about turning the blind eye and nose toward the blatently chronic toking at the Armadillo. Our man was re-elected.

Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  14:21:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A word to the wise: Do NOT park in the HOB valet parking unless you want to stand in line scratching your ass for an hour after the show.
Go to Top of Page

HeywoodJablome
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  14:59:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ass scratching is so underrated these days.

_______________________________________________________________________________________
"My name is Doug and I'm outta hhhhheeeere."
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  15:05:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i've been able to find parking on Santa Monica the last few times. it means walking a bit, but not dealing with post-show valet suckiness.

Edited by - floop on 09/07/2006 15:08:22
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  16:45:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Santa Monica, parking, suckiness, ass-scratching....hee hee hee.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
His name is Dalton. He's got a degree in philosophy.
-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

ramacat
- FB Fan -

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  15:28:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First ever posting on a chat. Going to HOB SD and wanting to know about the "dinner" thing. Good idea? Coming from Newport. Haven't seen my BIG sweaty man in a few years.

Making me foreign...
Go to Top of Page

josephmichael
- FB Fan -

27 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  22:04:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw Frank Black here right when he started with the Catholics and before the FB&C album came out. I was an intern and had a upcoming 36 hour shift delivering babies the next day, but figured it would be no problem since it started at 8pm on a weekday. I couldn't find parking except at some lot a couple streets away. The concert didn't finish until 1 am and by the time I got back to my car, the lot was locked down. My friend and I considered getting a motel room, but it was West Hollywood, and we thought that wouldn't look right. Called people and everyone was asleep. Ended up taking a cab home (first cab drive in L.A.) waking up at 5 am the next day and driving back out there in my friends car. That sucked. Good concert though.
Go to Top of Page

beckett trance
- FB Fan -

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  00:59:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome show! Frank Black rocks!

Here's the setlist from the soundman (Thanks! And kickass sound job!)

The set list is not right, though. No Terrible Ways, Raider Man, or Horrible Day. And the order is wrong... Here's how it went:

The acoustic set was:

1. Los Angeles
2. The Water (Come on in, the Water's Fine)
3. Cactus
4. Wave of Mutilation
5. California Bound
6. Holiday Song
7. My Life is in Storage (with band intros)

Full band
8. Black Rider
9. I Burn Today
10. Headache
11. I'm Not Dead (I'm in Pittsburgh)
12. Bullet
13. I'll Be Blue
14. Ten Percenter
15. Remake/Remodel
16. Living on Soul
17. The Swimmer
18. (Do What You Want) Gyaneshwar
19. All Around the World
20. All My Ghosts
21. Suffering
22. That Burnt Out Rock & Roll
23. Johnny Barleycorn
24. Six-Sixty-Six
25. Nadine
26. Dead Man's Curve

Encore
27. Sing for Joy

Gotta catch some sleep. More tomorrow. Couple things, though:

LIVING ON SOUL RULES! That song is awesome with the full band rockin' it.

Also, I'm not a big fan of Six-Sixty-Six on FB&TC (which is my favorite CD). BUT THEY ROCKED IT. I will never think of that tune the same way.

Hopefully somebody got some good recordings. HOB is pretty strict. I got the entire show on my little voice recorder, but it's not worth sharing because it sounds awful... oh well.

EDIT: Corrected set list order.

Edited by - beckett trance on 11/18/2006 15:58:58
Go to Top of Page

HeywoodJablome
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  09:13:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice show indeed, first Frank experience was a goody. I was standing next to a cool dude with two enormous/very expensive looking cameras. He took a lot of pics and said they'll be posted on gettyimages.com so I'll keep checking and provide a link when they are up. Kentucky Prophet wasn't so good I'm afraid, he had the right idea but he tried a little too hard, was funny for about 5 minutes but then it got a little obnoxious. He even kept apologizing about his set.

Highlights for me was the song (don't know what it's called cause i never heard it before) where Frank has a lot of "Ta ta ta ta ta ta" sounding vocals right before the chorus, sounded great. Probably Remake/Remodel or Living on Soul? Help. And Ten Percenter was always my least favorite song on Frank's initial solo album but I must admit it sounded pretty bad ass last night. Kicked my ass. I was right in front of Duane who was obviously having a great time & definitely handling it, enjoyed his finger work very much. Billy Block looked like he had a Happy Helmet on, a pleasure to watch. Feldman kind of had the perpetual look of,"Are we done yet?" Just a low key dude I guess.

But kids, the biggest highlight of all was the freebee given to me at the door pictured below. What can I say except life is sweet as a Hollywood mogul. Read it and weep!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"No one cares about your shitty band."
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  09:24:02  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
!!! Bonus.

K-Fed, dude, you have to go.

I shouldn't be sayin' keep my damn name outcha mouth, but y'all keep increasin' my change ...
Go ahead and say whatcha wanna. I'm gonna sell about 2 mil, uh, then I'm goner, uh
Go to Top of Page

anazgnos
= Cult of Ray =

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  10:16:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The show last night was pretty great. I find myself wanting to be hair-splittingly critical over song-selection or comparing the band to the Catholics, and I feel like I shouldn't be, because the show was really great in terms of spirit and energy (mostly). Everybody seemed to be having a great time, and there were a lot of great, fun, loose, off the cuff moments. The best Catholics shows were just roaring bursts of energy over the course of two hours, but that's not this band's bag. There were a number of really terrific peaks. Certain songs I thought did not sound as natural or "lived in" as they used to with the C's, but that's to be expected. The mid-set trifecta of Ten Percenter > Remake/Remodel > Living on Soul (leading directly out of Frank's "solo" in that song...now if they had gone back into R/R after the end, like the Pixies did [with different songs] that would have put them over the top...) was enough to satisfy my total rock cravings. Dead Man's Curve was awesome...does anybody know who exactly he was dedicating it to? Didn't pick up on that.

I probably like Duane's lead guitaring better than Rich or Lyle in terms of style (Rich at least brought more in terms of rock action than just skronky soloing), he's much more into the Nashville licks than big ripping solos.

Edited by - anazgnos on 11/18/2006 10:19:24
Go to Top of Page

tonyvose
- FB Fan -

1 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  10:48:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm quite sure the person alluded to re: "Dead Man's Curve" was Freddy Fender, as Billy Block had worked with him.
Go to Top of Page

bobo plenty
- FB Fan -

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  12:38:12  Show Profile  Visit bobo plenty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Awesome show. Hadn't been to HOB since Frank played there with John Doe for Pistolero and it was a smaller venue than I remember. Perched in the back behind the soundboard, great view awesome sound. Kentucky Prophet has gotten a bad rap (no pun intended). I have seen some HORRIBLE opening bands in my day and he was definitely not in the bottom ten on that list. I must say it's a bit ironic that Frank records 3 albums in Nashville and then tours for the first time in 10 years without dueling steel guitars... I like the new band, very tight and energetic, Billy looks like a muppet and Duane is interesting to watch, Eric was Eric. Frank sounded great and is still looking slim. I do miss the Catholics. Anyone else see Joey Santiago wandering around all night? He kept walking by our spot and I gave him a smile every time but never caught his eye. I assume David Lovering was probably in the crowd as he's local too. Looking forward to San Diego tonight and Anaheim tomorrow!
Go to Top of Page

dmarkcox
- FB Fan -

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  15:06:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw Joey at the breeders show a few years ago. lot's of leather jacketed ladies in that crowd. The show last night was FB and that always makes me smile. He's great, relaxed, matured in his postion, and he plays with the songs and with the crowd too. I always feel privileged to see him. Oh, there was a very sleek black targa parked outside in front of his bus. Nice!

Ten Miles to Kingwood
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  10:59:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
excellent show. we were up in the very very front, on EDF's side. the show rocked harder than i expected it to. given Frank's last two albums, i was thinking he'd do a mellow Nashville Honeycombey kind off set, but i'm surprised and happy that he's decided to rock out instead. this tour is definitely a rock show (it doesn't get much more rock than All My Ghosts and Suffering).
and the new material all sounds great. if he keeps writing songs like this the next album is going to be amazing.
and yeah, the 10 percenter / RemakeReModel / Living On Soul section was insane. i was also blown away by bullet (with Frank playing electric instead of acoustic) ..
i could be hallucinating but i could have sworn that when he started the opening chords for that he was looking me straight in the eye, as if to say, "this song is dedicated to you floop, you're the reason why i make music and i am going to proceed to rock you the fuck out. are you ready? are you up for a burrito after the show?" but i could be reading into it too much.
during the show some girl was taking photos with a big camera and said she was hired by Frank directly to take photos. not for a magazine or HOB or anything.. thought that was interesting. she said he was in good spirits but kind of tired before the show, having gone to Disneyland all day with the kids.

looking forward to the show tonight, but not driving home from Ahaheim afterwards..

at least that's what your mom said

Edited by - floop on 11/19/2006 11:25:43
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  09:00:01  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised Carl still hasn't posted this:

http://www.defamer.com/hollywood/kevin-federline/house-of-blues-staff-unable-to-trick-people-into-taking-free-kfed-tickets-216180.php

<<House Of Blues Staff Unable To Trick People Into Taking Free K-Fed Tickets

For those of you worried that the avalanche of publicity stemming from background dancing impresario Kevin Federline's public dumping by longtime bling-enabler Britney Spears might cause a spike in demand for his L.A. live shows (hey, some of you might have incapacitating Glade-huffing habits that would allow you to think such a thing), this report from a concertgoing operative should put your drug-addled mind at ease, revealing that House of Blues staffers couldn't even give away tickets to K-Fed's upcoming, Wednesday night show, even when resorting to chicanery:

"[Friday night] at the Frank Black show at House of Blues on Sunset, the staff at the queue outside was trying to give away tickets for Kevin Federline's Nov. 22nd concert there. Several of them had large stacks of tix and were pleading (with little success) for incoming concert-goers to take a few tickets.
"One of the women at the door kept telling people they were the 200th (or 300th) person at the show and had won free K-Fed tix. Despite the clever gambit, everyone we saw laughed at the very thought and turned her down. We watched them go 0-for-10 or 15. (To be fair, the Frank Black, Kevin Federline fan overlap is somewhat limited, but there was nothing but resounding denial at the prospect of a free show.)
Later, inside, before the show started, HOB put a K-Fed promotional ad up on the screen onstage. It was summarily (and viciously) booed each time it appeared."

We beg of you: Please contact the House of Blues immediately and snap up every available ticket. This is going to be Federline's first Thanksgiving alone (that bitch got the kids, yo, and her yam game is ridiculous), and we can't bear the thought of an emotionally devastated Federline having to kick off his holiday weekend by taking the stage at an empty venue, trying to muster a half-heartened burst of delusional self-esteem to rap in the general direction of some disinterested bartenders.>>

Denis

Go to Top of Page

HeywoodJablome
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  11:30:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like ol' Heywood'll have the Fed-Man all to himself!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"No one cares about your shitty band."
Go to Top of Page

scruvs
= Cult of Ray =

353 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2006 :  22:13:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by floop
"this song is dedicated to you floop, you're the reason why i make music and i am going to proceed to rock you the fuck out. are you ready? are you up for a burrito after the show?"

he calls you floop?

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  19:46:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scruvs

quote:
Originally posted by floop
"this song is dedicated to you floop, you're the reason why i make music and i am going to proceed to rock you the fuck out. are you ready? are you up for a burrito after the show?"

he calls you floop?

yes, he does.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  09:36:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And floop calls him frnck.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic