Oct. 15th, 2006 - Savannah, GA
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  00:26:36  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Grab your tickets at http://www.tinyteamconcerts.info/ , and post everything related to the gig (transportation, setlists, reviews) here.

Denis

IceManCometh
- FB Fan -

58 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  05:56:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info! This is one I might end up attending, as it may be the closest to me. Anyone else?
Go to Top of Page

Tiny Team Concerts
- FB Fan -

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  11:39:55  Show Profile  Visit Tiny Team Concerts's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just a quick note to let everyone know that there are still some tix available for this intimate club gig in Savannah. Capacity is limited to just 400 people!

If you want to make this gig, I'd recommend ordering tickets ASAP, as they are really starting to fly. You can charge them securely online at the website listed at the top of this thread for only $30 (plus a $2 service charge).

21+ only (sorry, but it's the law here), and NO Ticketmaster.

See you at the show...

--
Tiny Team Concerts
"Good music for nice people"
Go to Top of Page

Tiny Team Concerts
- FB Fan -

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  18:58:01  Show Profile  Visit Tiny Team Concerts's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Howdy.

Here's a gander at the limited-edition posters we've done for the Savannah show. They're printed beautifully on a very thick, textured cream-colored cardstock with a soft matte finish.

The bumblebee's obviously a Honeycomb/Queen Of Love reference, and though it might be hard to see in this image, the background is made up of a bunch of heiroglyphic-style drawings which allude to some of Frank's lyrics as well as to a lot of Jainist mythology and religious symbolism.

Our designer did a really nice job. There are less than 50 of these that were printed which we held back and did ot put up. We'll have them for sale (and hopefully for signing) at the gig on October 15.

We still have advance tickets available through our website (www.tinyteamconcerts.info), but we'll be shutting down online sales this Thursday afternoon at the latest and consolidating all the remaining tickets at our local outlets.

So, if anyone was planning on making the drive to beautiful Savannah for this show, I'd go ahead and order a ticket online now, or there's no guarantee you'll be able to get in the night of the gig.

Thanks!

--
Tiny Team Concerts
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  01:10:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That might just be the most beautiful gig poster I've ever seen. You guys should print five hundred and sell them online at thirty bucks a pop. I'd love to have one.

Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  08:45:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sure is nice.

Go to Top of Page

Tiny Team Concerts
- FB Fan -

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2006 :  10:07:08  Show Profile  Visit Tiny Team Concerts's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone - we're gonna cut off online ticket sales for the Savannah show at 6 pm tonight (Saturday).

After that, the only place you'll be able to get them is at the door the night of the show starting at 7 pm. They'll be $33 there, cash only.

Anyone thinking of making the drive to Savannah, come on!

It's a lovely town, and this venue is smack in the heart of the Historic District, which has often been called "the prettiest city in America."

Thanks for considering attending this particular gig, and for supporting both Frank Black and independent promoters.

- TTC

www.tinyteamconcerts.info

--
Tiny Team Concerts
Go to Top of Page

FranknWeezer
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  21:21:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So how was it? Pics, setlists, anything?
Man, I love me some Savannah GA.
Bring it on...
-FranknWeezer
Go to Top of Page

Tiny Team Concerts
- FB Fan -

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  09:16:40  Show Profile  Visit Tiny Team Concerts's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm busy at work now, but I'll have full details and incredible photos later on.

Thanks to all who came out and made this a magical night in many ways.

--
Tiny Team Concerts
Go to Top of Page

hfalola
- FB Fan -

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  15:03:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Savannah embarrassed itself last night. Frank Black deserves a million times more respect than the drunken morons gave him last night. The promoters should be ashamed of themselves for letting as much go on as they did. This was my third Frank Black solo show, and it was by far the shortest-though, I would'nt have blamed Frank Black if he had left about 10 minutes into the show. In particular,
there were two very drunk girls right up front who kept making physical contact with FB and an idiot with his sunglasses in his hair that held a digital camera in FB's face for the first 45 minutes he was on stage. I know for a fact that the guy from Tiny Team knew what was going on because his ridiculous ass was right up front with them. Savannah is a backwards, redneck piece of crap city, and it always will be. I was born and raised here so I'm qualified to say that. There is no helping it.

The band did sound great though. I would like to apologize to FB on behalf of the 300 or so fans in attendance that were actually there to hear one of the greatest musicians of all time.
Go to Top of Page

rodney
- FB Fan -

USA
127 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  15:29:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why is it the promoter's fault that the crowd was unruly?
Go to Top of Page

hfalola
- FB Fan -

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  16:10:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Were you at the show? He seemed to know the 2 drunk girls and generally let them ruin the show for everyone else.
Go to Top of Page

Tiny Team Concerts
- FB Fan -

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  16:37:35  Show Profile  Visit Tiny Team Concerts's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would like to take just a moment to respond to hfalola's post.

For those of you who were not able to attend the show, it may help to understand the following:

99% of the people in attendance at the show were attentive, respectful, gracious, and totally into the music.

Approximately 4 patrons out of an audience of almost 400 were out of line. These included A) a drunken fan with a digital camera who stood in the front row and repeatedly took closeup pictures of Charles until I'm told (as I did not see this happen) Charles physically knocked the guy's hand away after making a brief plea with him to stop invading his personal space, B) two young, intoxicated girls who flirted with Charles throughout the show, mostly by reaching out and touching his left pants leg or shoe while he was playing, and occasionally reaching near his guitar, and C) a real loser who, mid-way through the final song (for no apparent reason) threw the contents of either a beer or a bottle of water towards the stage while Charles' back was partially turned. He got wet, as did some of their gear.

At the conclusion of that tune, Charles put down his guitar, waved to the crowd, and walked straight to his bus. I spoke to him en route and apologized profusely for the jerk's behavior, and while he was understandably frustrated, he was both pragmatic and a consummate gentleman about the incident.

The show was not cut short at all. The band only knows roughly 23 songs at this point, and it seemed that they played every tune they felt comfortable with.

I spoke at length to everyone in the band and most of the crew, and the general consensus was that despite those few interruptions, the show went very well from their point of view and they all enjoyed themselves.

The band received thunderous applause, and - unlike many FB shows I have attended - from my various vantage points around the venue that night, there was virtually no loud yelling, heckling, or otherwise distracting or rude behavior on anyone's part.

Here is what hfalola did not mention about the show: As the Tiny Team is unfortunately aware that Savannah crowds have been known to be chatty and intrusive, I personally made a lengthy speech just before the band went onstage, explaining to people that for us to bring in an artist of this caliber into what was essentially a slightly modified Dueling Pianos bar, was basically the result of an awful lot of mutual respect.

It took respect on Charles' part (and that of his agent) to accept our offer rather than head to an established rock club in Gainesville, FL that he has played many times in the past with the Catholics.

It took respect on our part to care enough for the man and his music to go to great lengths (which no one at the show or on this board will ever understand or know of) in order to even make an event of this cailber and scope happen in Savannah, a town that is not known for hosting club shows of this size or caliber.

It took respect for our fledgling promotion group for the owner of the venue (who had no idea who Charles even was at first) to allow us to come in and turn his place upside down for a solid 18 hours of hard, hard labor.

But most of all, I wanted the crowd to know that it would take respect on their part for the show to go smoothly and for them to get the best performance that the band could deliver.

I told them to refrain from taking pictures of any kind with a flash, as no artists likes to feel like a deer in the headlights. I also told them the band was operating from a static setlist and that they were not a jukebox and would not be taking requests, so to please refrain from screaming incessantly for songs they likely wouldn't play and bothering both the band and the rest of the crowd.

I firmly believe that without that admonition (which I'm sure many people felt was uncalled for and haughty) that the crowd would have not been nearly as wonderful to the band as they were.

Regarding the fellow with the camera. I was in the back of the room when he was told from the stage to get out of Charles' space. By the time I made my way back to the front (I watched the first 4 songs from the 2nd row), he appeared to have finally calmed down. I was initially unaware that he was causing a disturbance. That was likely because all of us in the TTC were running around most of the night trying to make sure everything was cool, not just on the stage.

When I realized the girls were messing with Charles, I specifically took my "ridiculous ass" to the front of the stage, directly in front of him, and stood right next to them for quite a while, physically making them stop by chatting with them, and encouraging them to be cool. I did not know them, and have never seen them before in my life.

What I opted to do was to have them focus their ridiculous antics on me, rather than Charles, so that there wouldn't be an even bigger distraction as far as forcing them to the back. Unforuntaely, i could not stay up there the whole time, but i did the best I could until it seemed they had chilled out.

I was later thanked profusely for this by a member of the band's crew who told me that I had handled the whole thing in a very smooth manner, and that he was impressed with the way I calmed them down without having to have them drug to the back. They were very drunk, and honestly meant no harm. It was annoying, but innocent and without malice.

I saw no one else around them make any attempt whatsoever to convince these girls to change their behavior in any way.

During the last song (which was their "encore without leaving the stage") when the jackass threw the drink, the Tiny Team were alerted to this, and I went and got our off-duty police officer to have the jerk thrown out, even though there were only about 2 minutes left in the show.

We found the guy as he tried to split, and he was told in the harshest possible terms that he will never be allowed into any one of our shows again, regardless of whether or not he is holding a ticket. I physically ran him off the premises, and he wound up being loudly heckled for a full block by myself and a handful of other fans who were extremely ashamed and upset about what had happened.

Ironically, he later turned up at another bar where many in the audience went after the show (as well as myself, the rest of the TTC and some of Charles' band and crew). It was a good thing for him that he had left by the time I arrived, but I was told that four or five people confronted him at the second bar and essentially ran him out of there as well.

If I seem overly defensive about the accusations that were made, it is because I feel that they provide a very skewed view of the show, and of the crowd. When hfalola makes a staement like, "Savannah is a backwards, redneck piece of crap city, and it always will be. I was born and raised here so I'm qualified to say that," it is obvious that he has serious issues with this town that far surpass the events of last night. He may want to consider looking for greener pastures.

Had we brought our uniformed police officer to the front of stage to act as security, it would have been off-putting and jarring, and frankly, quite unneccesary, as - like I said - everyone in the crowd save these four individuals seemed to act responsibly and politely.

If we made a mistake in not having an adequate security presence at the front of the stage, rest assured, we have learned a valuable lesson, and we will not make that mistake at future Tiny Team shows.

Then again, if someone decides to toss a drink with no warning, it is virtually impossible to stop them from doing so.

This is the third major show we have promoted, and our first ever at this particular venue. All things considered, it was a magical night, and I have already received dozens of congratulatory e-mails, phone calls and face-to-face thank yous from folks who were there, many of whom are calling it the single best rock show they've ever seen in Savannah.

Charles' tour manager said they had a blast, and that he feels they would be happy to return and work with us again if the opportunity presented itself. I'll take him at his word.

In closing, if any member of the FB band, crew, management or agency happens to read this thread, allow me to reiterate: Thanks so much for being trusting enough to deal with a small, new company, for being understanding of the challenges presented by appearing in such a non-traditional room, and for being so easy and professional to work alongside.

It was truly a pleasure.

--
Tiny Team Concerts

Edited by - Tiny Team Concerts on 10/16/2006 16:41:16
Go to Top of Page

hfalola
- FB Fan -

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  17:05:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I shouldn't have written "ridiculous ass." That was distasteful. After reading your reply, I realize that you were attempting to do the right thing. I was just very frustrated and felt like FB would probably never come back to Savannah--which would be a shame.
I apologize for my rudeness and you were right--it was a very good show.
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  17:14:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a gracious reply. And what a passionate post by TTC. Good stuff. I love when people get worked up about Frank Black. It reminds me of what's right in the world.

When do I get my first bee, damnit?
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  17:44:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha, I agree. You guys ahve talked this over in a very good manner. I just wish that I could have been at the show!
Go to Top of Page

Superabounder
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  19:28:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats on what sounds like overall it was a very successful night. Especially when you out-draw a major city like Dallas for your show. Hell, I'm embarassed about the backwards-assed rednecks in Dallas that failed to come out for the show. I was born and raised here so I'm qualified to say THAT!

I'd rather be anywhere or doing anything
Go to Top of Page

FranknWeezer
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  20:02:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess, TTC, that you learned this the hard way, but at the Memphis show, there was a security guard directly under FB's mike with his back to the stage the entire night. It seemed a little odd, but there were no such incidents as described above.
-FranknWeezer
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  02:10:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know, when we saw Frank solo in Sacramento I didn’t even see any security. I’m sure they were there but we were too far into the moments to notice. Kinda hate to say it but the place was like a temple to me. Nobody but the faithful in attendance. It would have been so easy for dickheads to disrupt the proceedings. Guess we got off easy. Then again, it wasn’t a loud, raucous, full band show. I feel really fortunate to finally catch him solo in a relatively classy bar (if that’s not too much of an oxymoron). Sounds like you folks in Savannah did OK. Best wishes Tiny Team.

p.s. I still want one of those posters.

Go to Top of Page

Tiny Team Concerts
- FB Fan -

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  15:01:36  Show Profile  Visit Tiny Team Concerts's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hfalola - Thanks very much for your kind response. It makes me glad to know that things like this can still get talked through so easily (especially on the internet!). I hope you come out to future TTC shows, and that you enjoy yourself. I'm sure we'll continue to get better at all of this as time goes by.

coastline - Great, passionate shows like the one on 10/15 remind me of what's right in the world. Thanks.

Superabounder - Yeah, I too have been surprised at the less than stellar turnout in some major cities on this tour. Savannah doesn't see many shows of this caliber (which is exactly why we formed TTC), so I think it's more of a special event here than in bigger markets where the crowds may have come to expect such things.

It was great to see so many people singing along with the songs - and not in that obnoxious, scream-in-your-ear way. It seemed like most of the people there were FB solo material fans as much if not more than Pixies-heads, who never thought they'd get to see the man up so close.

Erebus - We have only a few of the limited show posters left, and they're $10 each plus S & H. If you (or anyone else) wants one, just drop us a line at: info@tinyteamconcerts.info, and we'll do our best to hold one for you. You'll be in good company, as Charles took 4 for himself and his family!

- TTC

--
Tiny Team Concerts
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  18:04:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks TTC. I sent you an email.

Go to Top of Page

flounder
- FB Fan -

1 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  22:25:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to weigh in with my own take on the Savannah show. I was helping the TTC guys all day move gear and help make the band/crew comfortable, so I was there well before the show and then well after.

I had talked to Billy and Duane throughout the day and they were both really impressed with the venue, the sound system, the organization TTC had going, and of course the near-sellout of the room. During Reid Paley's great opening set I spoke to Duane and he thought the whole rooom looked and sounded great and he noted that it was packed with people who were already digging Reid and he was eager to get on stage in front of them. I saw Billy before they went on and he was really excited about the room and the crowd too.

When the show started I got right in the middle of the crowd about 3 rows back and right between Duane and Frank. The sound coming off the stage was fantastic and the vocals were perfectly understandable which was great because Frank was really giving a nuanced performance with losts of little changes.

Billy had a giant open-mouth grin on his face through the entire show and you could tell he was having an absolute blast. Duane was smiling and pointing out people in the crowd and playing his ass off. No one around me was yelling at them or dooing any of the annoying crowd bullshit that has become commonplace at shows nowadays. Just about the entire crowd knew the lyrics to all but the two new songs he played and people were jumping around (including me) and singing along, but in the nice, we're-all-having-a-great-time way and not the one-dude-at-the-Dylan-show-trying-to-prove-something way that we all hate. A lot of us just kept grabbing each other and shouting "This is fucking awesome!" while we jumped around and had a blast.

The only annoying shit were the cell phone cameras and little digi-cams that a small handful of people in the front kept waving around. People just want pictures and a few people got out of hand with it. I told a couple of people to lay off but I wasn't at the front. It should also be noted that after Frank swatted the guys camera away, he apologized for "getting physical" and asked people to be cool with the cameras and that was really the end of the camera phenomenon. Likewise with the shoe touching, he made a joke out of it referring to "tickle tests" from when he was a kid which he then tried out on Feldman, but Frank couldn't get him to laugh.

While it is just shitty that some dipshit threw a beer on him at the end, the guy was about 6 or 7 bodies back into the main crowd so even if there had been a uniform standing at the front of the stage, it wouldn't have done any good. I was pretty impressed that so many people pointed him out immediately and then got in his face about it there at the venue and then later at a bar.

Finally, both Billy and Duane hung out at bar after the show and they told me they had a great time, they loved the room, the crowd, the sound, the posters, the tickets, and would not hesitate to come back here. In 5 years people in Savannah who were there are still going to be talking about that great show and they are not going to remember the beer-throwing at all.

I have been trying to see a Frank Black show for 8 years and this one filled every expectation I had and surpassed it. If TTC ever puts on another Frank Black show down here, I highy recommend people here try to make it to Savannah!
Go to Top of Page

frnck blck
-= The Man =-

312 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  23:21:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great job TIny Team (hey! it even sold out!). problems were very small and dealt with just fine. would love to make savannah a regular stop in the future. one complaint: where's a good espresso there? we pacific rimmers are such snobs about the brown water.

fb
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  07:13:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Praise indeed!
Go to Top of Page

Tiny Team Concerts
- FB Fan -

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  10:15:05  Show Profile  Visit Tiny Team Concerts's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Charles,
Thanks so much for the kind words. Like I told Billy and EDF when you guys first arrived, all we cared about was that the crowd enjoyed themselves and that you and the rest of the band walked away happy at the end of the night with a good feeling about Savannah.

Since it seems this is what happened, I feel like we accomplished our goals!

I forgot about your "old black dawning" jones. I'm a tea man, myself, but there's only one kickass java joint near the Historic Downtown (free trade beans, as well). They also boast a cool, 60-seat live music room that doubles as a screening room for indie cinema.

Check 'em out here: www.sentientbean.com

I curate a cult film series there, and it looks like we'll be showing LoudQuietLoud there early next month as part of our 4th Annual Psychotronic Film Festival.

The Tiny Team looks forward to a return collaboration the next time you swing through the Southeast. The new band sounds great, and I hope this unit stays together for as long as everybody's enjoying themselves. Good luck at the NYC sessions, and if you get a chance, drop me a PM and lemme know if you guys dug that Odenkirk/Lou Reed DVD...

--
Tiny Team Concerts
Go to Top of Page

freedom rocker
- FB Fan -

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  15:30:01  Show Profile  Visit freedom rocker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Tiny Team, is that slogan "Good music for nice people" a play off the slogan of a local car dealership slogan "Nice cars for good people"?

the blues isn't an art-form, it's a product-- not unlike computer chips and tampons.
--dead milkmen
Go to Top of Page

Tiny Team Concerts
- FB Fan -

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  08:48:29  Show Profile  Visit Tiny Team Concerts's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nope.

Just something we thought made for a clear mission statement.

--
Tiny Team Concerts
Go to Top of Page

Tiny Team Concerts
- FB Fan -

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  12:45:29  Show Profile  Visit Tiny Team Concerts's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks to everyone who has contacted us about purchasing one of the handful of remaining show posters for the Savannah gig. We've been swamped with planning our next show (Grammy-winning bluesman John Hammond!), as well as trying to hold down our day jobs - but we'll be getting back to you in a couple of days.

We're looking into the safest and most economical way to mail these out (i.e., flat or rolled). As soon as we have an accurate shipping cost, we'll contact you all and get things moving.

Once more - thanks for digging the poster enough to want one. Look for details in your inboxes on Thursday!

- TTC

--
Tiny Team Concerts
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  14:12:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool. Thanks. Rolled sounds good. Don't mind paying for a tube.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000