Oct. 20th, 2006 - Brooklyn, NY
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  02:34:03  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.warsawconcerts.com/

Tickets requests, pre-gig meetings, setlists, reviews... please post here.

Denis

Mac E. Doobage
= Cult of Ray =

503 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  04:05:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopefully the distracting douchebag from the 8/19 show won't be at this one. You know who you are: "Madames...at niiiiine."
Go to Top of Page

mixedbizz
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  09:09:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
was that you Mac?

quote:
Originally posted by Mac E. Doobage

Hopefully the distracting douchebag from the 8/19 show won't be at this one. You know who you are: "Madames...at niiiiine."

Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  07:38:55  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So where are we meeting for a bite to eat before the show, fellow Brooklyn travelers?

-Brian - http://bvsrant.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  08:56:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I loved the plug in The New Yorker for this show -- they called FB's music "endearingly square-pegged rock." I usually can't stand music reviews because of all the lame adjectives the reviewers use, but this description is actually pretty accurate.

When do I get my first bee, damnit?
Go to Top of Page

Grunty Yodus
- FB Fan -

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  12:45:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Brian, I wanted to get in earlier, but I gotta work till 6:00. So I'm shooting for 8:00. Hopefully I can have some pre-show beverages with you hep-cats. Maybe a cold Polish brew or the amusing house-wine. I am beyond pumped!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Sir Rockabye
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1158 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  13:25:49  Show Profile  Visit Sir Rockabye's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't think I'll be able to get in early enough for a pre-show meal, but I'll definitely meet up with you at the show Brian. I'm pretty sure I've got your number; I'll call if I'm getting in earlier than expected and maybe I can catch up with you.

Does anyone know what time doors are?

You run all kinds of red lights except the ones on the street.
When you run out of exits you can always count sheep.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  14:42:08  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Surely i will see both you gents at the show. Mark, i still owe you a (very) belated birthday drink. Michael, i'll buy you a soda! By the way, my old phone, and all the numbers therein, died, so Sir Mikeabye, shoot me an email with your #.

Go to Top of Page

Driverdave
- FB Fan -

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  14:54:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey - I'm going to the show in Brooklyn on Friday. Was just wondering since I'll be working that day, what time has Frank been starting his shows lately. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Philomath
- FB Fan -

23 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  15:43:48  Show Profile  Visit Philomath's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maximum pumpage! Last time I saw him at the warsaw, david was there with his pot jokes and dr wizard stuff. great effin show, they (fb &c's) encored with solid gold and caved the roof in! I may

not make it though (I live in philly) so if you anyone wants my ticket send an e-mail, k? if not, whatever. enjoy the show all, it will kick ass. btw, what could be beyond pumped!

From childhood's hour I have not been as others were; I have not seen what others saw; and all I loved, I loved alone.
Go to Top of Page

mixedbizz
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  18:23:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Driverdave

Hey - I'm going to the show in Brooklyn on Friday. Was just wondering since I'll be working that day, what time has Frank been starting his shows lately. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Having been to Warsaw a few times, my guess is Reid Paley about 9 and FB at 10 or 10:30.
Thats just a guesstimate. Enjoy the show everyone! I'm going to try to tape.
Go to Top of Page

ginnyc
- FB Fan -

2 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2006 :  07:52:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what I read they open the bar at six.

Btw- if you are looking for good place to eat I like Johnnys Cafe, its relatively cheap and really good food, Polish specialties but also steak, fish etc. Its close to Nassau Ave stop on the G.

Other than that you got the 5 dollar specials at the Hall, haha.

BTW- I dont have a ticket yet, I hope it doesnt sell out, or at least not until I get my ticket...
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2006 :  12:52:16  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll be there in black button-down shirt, blue jeans and a shitty goatee. Come say hi!

Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2006 :  23:30:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

I'll be there in black button-down shirt, blue jeans and a shitty goatee. Come say hi!

you've got shit on you goatee! how embarrassing!!

ha ha ha.....ha ha.

i'm thinking about growing a fumanchu for the shows.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"
Go to Top of Page

mixedbizz
- FB Fan -

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  01:38:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brilliant show. Billy Block is fantastic. "Akron Jack" is the shit. More coplete report to come....
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  06:27:24  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, as FB.net was down when i got in last night, here i am with my review.

First, the set list:

FB solo:

Los Angeles
Goodbye Lorraine
Holiday Song
Wave of Mutilation
(I Want to Live on an) Abstract Plain
Two Reelers

(Solo w/ Jack Kidney on harmonica)

Cactus
The Water
Manitoba

(w/ Band)

Calistan (Kidney on Sax)
Remake/Remodel (Kidney on Sax)
Living on Soul (Kidney on Harmonica)
All My Ghosts (Kidney on Sax)
My Terrible Ways (Kidney on Sax)
Bullet (Kidney on Sax)
I Burn Today (Kidney on Harmonica)
Headache (no Kidney)
I'm Not Dead (I'm in Pittsburgh) (Kidney on Harmonica)
(Do What You Want) Gyaneshwar (Kidney on Sax)
Suffering (Kidney on Sax)
That Burnt Out Rock and Roll (Kidney on Harmonica)
All Around the World (Kidney on Harmonica)
Ten Percenter (Kidney on Sax)
Horrible Day (Kidney on Harmonica)
Nadine (Kidney on Harmonica)
Johnny Barleycorn (Kidney on Sax)
Six-Sixty-Six (Kidney on Sax)
Dead Man's Curve (Kidney on Sax)
I'll Be Blue (Kidney on Harmonica)
- - - - - - -
Sing for Joy (No Kidney)

The Reid Paley Trio, as always, killed. Absolutely great set. The crowd was great last night - into it, not disrespectful, and only the occassional calling out for a song (mainly one guy for "Seven Days" actually). The new band sounded quite good - EDF was rocking out the bass and looked like he was having a good time. Duane Jarvis reminds me of someone who i can't exactly place, but he was doing some very tasteful lead work on his Gibson Blueshawk. Billy Block was a suitcase of smiles, rocking out and loving every second of it. Jack Kidney flew in from Akron, Ohio for the Conan taping and stuck around to play on most of this set - he was great too! The harp and sax really added to a lot of the numbers - he told me afterwards that he had never played or heard (!) 90% of the material he played on that night - "They give me a key and i fiddle around." He won't be back on Monday unfortunately.

Another treat of the night was getting to hang out with FB fans - Grunty Yodus (Mark), Sir Rockabye (Michael, accompanied by Mama Rockabye and Sir's bandmate Dan), Mixed Bizz (Stephen), Fazer Eyes, and a few more. The best reaction all night was when one guy said to me "I can't believe you're the fucking guy who does the podcast!" Hillarious - i'm shocked that people actually care!

After the show, Mark and i were hanging out in the bar, chatting up Reid, EDF, Duane, Billy and Jack Kidney. Eventually, we got to talking to Billy Block, who insisted we stick around to watch the band on Conan. So we stayed, with the whole crew minus FB who cut out early. It was great hanging out with those guys - true gentlemen and great musicians. A great night - and i'll get to see most of them on Monday!

Edited by - Broken Face on 10/21/2006 07:15:38
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  06:43:42  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks "Brain" :)

quote:
I Burn Rock and Roll (Kidney on Harmonica)

Another new song? How does it sound?

-----
BLACKOLERO le only Frank Black / Pixies site 100% in français
Go to Top of Page

coastline
> Teenager of the Year <

USA
3111 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  07:00:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the great report, Brian. And "Kidney on Harmonica" sounds like the worst sandwich ever created.

When do I get my first bee, damnit?
Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  07:13:38  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yeah, thanks! the setlist is georgeous!

pas de bras pas de chocolat
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  07:18:35  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the initial misprint - the song is "That Burnt Out Rock and Roll" - a Gary Green cover. It sounds great! Billy told me that is one of the two 'new' songs recorded in Houston not too long ago.

Oh yeah - and EDF and FB are doing some "exploratory" recording in NYC today - exciting!

Go to Top of Page

cassandra is
> Teenager of the Year <

France
4233 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  07:22:38  Show Profile  Visit cassandra is's Homepage  Reply with Quote
wou-ouh!! exciting is the right term!

pas de bras pas de chocolat
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  07:48:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow. thanks for the great review. i really like how's he's starting out with some acoustic songs.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  08:11:49  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry for the initial misprint - the song is "That Burnt Out Rock and Roll" - a Gary Green cover. It sounds great! Billy told me that is one of the two 'new' songs recorded in Houston not too long ago.

Oh yeah - and EDF and FB are doing some "exploratory" recording in NYC today - exciting!

Thanks. I remember seeing recently TBORR in the Man's digital music collection. Never heard (of) Gary Green, though...

I wonder if our hero sleeps sometimes?...
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  08:24:11  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If i'm not mistaken, there was a Gary Green in Gentle Giant, but i don't know if its the same guy.

Go to Top of Page

Grunty Yodus
- FB Fan -

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  08:46:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, that was a kick-ass night!! Brian's review says it all. It was great to meet the forum members and some great FB fans from East Orange. Reid's set was awesome and I am playing his CD's at work right now. Frank's band is excellent and so down to earth. I will chime in later, work is calling. Pysched there's another show on Monday!!!!
Go to Top of Page

ginnyc
- FB Fan -

2 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  12:15:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
could it be this guy?
http://www.garygreen.com/musicpoetry.htm

Broken Face- you are the man as far as reviews, just getting that set list together, that is just awesome.

This was my second time seeing Frank Black live, saw him at the Beacon opening for Foos. So you could say Im more of a novice/neutral fan.

Reid Paley - really great! first time seeing this guy, good crowd interaction especially liked his little rant about viny>cd>mp3, I would add seeing a band live is even better than anything else. Watching Paley I could imagine this is late 50s ball room show and Buddy Holly is coming on next, the man brings that kind of vibe to the room and at the same time is totally original. BTW- Paley played from 9 to 9:40.

The forty minute break between sets was really hard, people were getting restless/tired (espcially if you were up since 7 Am and were coming straight from work like I was, haha). Anything over 30 minutes sucks in my opinion...

Frank Black came on at 10:20 and finished at 12 midnight sharp. I liked the acoustic set the best. FB's voice, man, that is the thing that is exceptional about him(songwriting too)I think the rest of the band was routine to mediocre, they play the songs and thats it, they dont seem too much into it if you know what I mean. Other than Frank, Jack Kidney impressed me the most. Jack Kidney- wow! this man was amazing, especially during the acoustic part of the set when his harmonica could be better heard/accentuated. It really added a lot to the show/songs. Best performance of the night for me was "Headache", "Six-Sixty-Six" which is my fave FB song(just a killer version of it closed the set at Beacon Theater), here seemed kind of rushed, maybe I just like the acoustic version better...

Other than the show- really sucks how they first had signs that doors(and tix sales) were opening at 7, then moved it to 8. Im sure a lot of people showed early, I saw people already milling around outside by 6, but you couldnt get in the bar unless you had a ticket. I went to a bar down the street on corner of Manhattan Ave and Driggs and luckily it was still happy hour, so pints of Brooklyn Lager for only 2 bucks. At the bar I met a relative of the band and his teenage son, they were from Boston area. Had a nice time chatting with them, sorry I didnt catch your name if you are reading this hope you had a great time.

Edited by - ginnyc on 10/21/2006 12:23:38
Go to Top of Page

Fazereyes
- FB Fan -

8 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  17:47:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, the show rocked and it was good meeting Broken Face, Grunty and all the other FB.net folks who someone ended up congregating in the same spot in front of the stage. Wish I would have stayed to tip a few back but that marathon set wore me out. I hope to hear more of the new material. It sounded great. Won't see y'all Monday, but I'll check out your notes on the show.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000