Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2006 :  02:36:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if Frank has given any thought to sporadically plugging in the tele during this solo leg of his tour? It may sound strange for a guy to be plugged in and distorted all by yourself up on stage, but it's actually a really cool sounding approach. Put that amp in just the right place and get some feedback/long assed sustain. It might not be a bad idea to have this plan in place just in case the audience was ugly, rude, or overly talkative.

I don't know, I used to do this once in a while and it would remind me of the way "alternative" used to mean to me back when "alternative" really meant something. Just kind of different. Kind of macho, but in a vulnerable way.

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2006 :  04:03:15  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
kinda like he did on the short solo tour of 1990 and also of 1994.
1990 supremely captured on the 'dream is over' bootleg....

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2006 :  05:19:01  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
and 1994 splendidly captured by 'Channel 4'

Edited by - fbc on 08/26/2006 05:19:16
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2006 :  06:56:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Cafe du Nord show featured some solo electric.
Go to Top of Page

mostasteless
- FB Fan -

81 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2006 :  07:40:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The sound of an electric guitar isnt as self-sustaining as that of an acoustic. It tends to wear thin on the ears pretty fast.

That being said, those shows he did in nashville right after honeycomb were all electric.
Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2006 :  11:40:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mostasteless

The sound of an electric guitar isnt as self-sustaining as that of an acoustic.

That's why you plug it into 100 watts of Jim Marshall. All day.

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2006 :  12:14:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the solo electric show i saw in 91 is still the best show i've ever seen in my life
Go to Top of Page

mrgrieves1971
= Cult of Ray =

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2006 :  14:44:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw him solo as Black Francis back in '91 at Nightstage in Camnbridge, MA. He strapped on an electric, walked up to the microphone and whispered "Shhhhhhhh .... solo acoustic show." He then ripped into Crackity Jones, strumming and screaming as if the whole band was playing behind him. Nice.

Edited by - mrgrieves1971 on 08/26/2006 14:46:02
Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2006 :  15:10:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That show must surely be one of the main reasons why I'd like to invest in time travel.
Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2006 :  18:16:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uncle Rico got his balls zapped pretty good messing with time travel, Zig. Be careful investing in things that have potential ball zapping qualities.

But yeah, I'd love to see footage of Francis doing the solo electric bit. I imagine it suiting his style much better than with just an acoustic guitar. He could visit those psychotic places in some of his songs as well as being subtle when he needed to be.

Either way, he's in a great place. Being able to sell out shows with only you and an acoustic guitar is really respectable. How many artists can pull that off? Go Frank.
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2006 :  18:32:44  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ScottP
But yeah, I'd love to see footage of Francis doing the solo electric bit.

Scott,
have you got this solo electric show from 1994 which i uploaded to dimeadozen in january?
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=76135

Frank Black
UK 1994

This was recorded off Channel 4 "The Beat" program. I do not know the exact date or venue, but if someone does, i'll update the info. It is not the complete concert. It is a solo electric concert.

Tracklisting:
Channel 4 Intro
Czar
Whatever happened To Pong?
Men In Black
Headache
Oddballs
Brackish Boy
Adda Lee
Hate Me
Sir Rockabye

I recieved this a few weeks ago from the person who transfered the video. He didn't want me to upload it to dime with the menus and extras that he'd designed, so i've made a very simple menu for it. Enjoy.

Lineage: VHS VCR > Canon DV Camcorder > iMovies > iDVD > TMPGEnc DVD (for new menu) > you

Go to Top of Page

Ziggy
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
2411 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  02:58:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dang!
Go to Top of Page

ScottP
= Cult of Ray =

USA
618 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  07:33:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kiss Benji's ring. Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  07:55:56  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
no worries fella's.
all thanks should really go to black fransiscan who sent me the dvd in the first place.
now that i look back at the menu i made, i am very embarrased...
but hey, back then i knew nothing...and it's not the menu thats important anyways...

i see there's no seeds...i'm tied up on something else at the moment, but if i get time i'll jump on in a few days...but hopefully you'll get someone to help out...

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  09:23:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
alright, so i signed up for dimeadozen. do i need something else to download torrent files? help much appreciated

Edited by - floop on 08/27/2006 09:24:12
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
1994 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  09:50:47  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You just need to download a client and you're ready to go.

http://www.utorrent.com/download.php
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  17:51:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks holiday. i downloaded a torrent thing.. but now when i try and download the show it says "downloading from 0 of 1 peer" and i get nothing
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  18:34:20  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
so thats saying there is one other person connected to the torrent but for some reason you can't download anything from him. could be either he is, or you are, firewalled.

what show are you connected too and i'll have a look to see why nothing's happeneing.

also, try another show and see if you get something this time....

Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  20:53:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How does one get a dime account? Every morning I strike out. Anyone know when the new accounts of the day become available?
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  20:57:31  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just try a few minutes apart Darwin - try it while reading the sad Boston box score in the AM, and then try again after you've dried your tears.

-Brian - http://bvsrant.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  21:03:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
floop - you're going to encounter that, and sometimes it just takes awhile to establish the connection. often the problem is with the other end, maybe on dial-up or something.

darwin - like Brian says. you'll get one, and then when you do just use it regularly and you won't lose it.

Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  21:18:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Face

Just try a few minutes apart Darwin - try it while reading the sad Boston box score in the AM, and then try again after you've dried your tears.

-Brian - http://bvsrant.blogspot.com

I was offered a ticket to tomorrow's Red Sox game in Oakland. I almost turned it down because those bastards are killing me, but I didn't.

I'll keep trying on the dime.
Go to Top of Page

martha_promise
= Cult of Ray =

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  21:25:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had good luck with torrents in the past, but with this one I am getting the same result as floop. Not sure what's going on. Any help would be appreciated. It sounds like a great show.

Darwin, to echo Brian and Erebus, if you keep trying randomly throughout the day you should have some luck. I was finally able to get signed up around eleven a couple nights ago.

Edited by - martha_promise on 08/28/2006 04:59:50
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  22:10:17  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yep, the solution to obtaining a dime account is stubbornness...just don't give up.
sit on the signup page and refresh it every minute or so and you should get an account become available within 15mins.

so people are having problems with the UK 1994 show i uploaded?
well i'll jump on as seeder for a bit. i won't be able to stay as my 'puter is busy doing something else, but just to see whether you guys can connect to someone....but there has been a seeder very recently, as in within the last 3 hours, but they gone now and also no leechers.....

Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2006 :  05:49:29  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think I have it somewhere. I'll try and help with the seeding, too.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  00:52:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i've been downloading all day. only 24 hours left to go for my download :)
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  01:24:33  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
good things take time....

but yeah, my contribution is not very fast at the moment...bandwidth very busy with something else, but now that someone else has jumped on too (fbc is that you?), it's going much quicker....

welcome to the wonders of dime floop.

Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  02:28:05  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i think it's me, Benji. i couldn't stay on too long yesterday but can today.
only one peer downloading, just under 50%. i'll keep seeding until he (if it's floop, coolio!) has the awesome 100%.

"the extraordinary Frank Black" - david bowie
Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  02:34:11  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, no, wait... I just registered to dime too, I'll try to download this tonight.

Denis

Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  02:57:43  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
better be quick denis!!
nah, we'll still be going....

fbc, think floop's there, as well as martha_promise.....

but yeah, once nabbed, forgive my crappy menu...wish i could do it again.....
but the gig itself is very good. short, but good.

Go to Top of Page

fbc
-= Modulator =-

United Kingdom
4903 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  03:05:23  Show Profile  Visit fbc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Someone keeps jumping in and out of my seeding. What? My upload too slow for ya?!

I'll keep seeding for you, denis, you know i will.

"the extraordinary Frank Black" - david bowie
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  12:06:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benji

good things take time....

but yeah, my contribution is not very fast at the moment...bandwidth very busy with something else, but now that someone else has jumped on too (fbc is that you?), it's going much quicker....

welcome to the wonders of dime floop.

thanks benji. look forward to the show. last night it kept jumping between "24 hours left" to like "53 hours left".. i left it on at home. we'll see.

i forgot about shows he did around 94 when he opened for the Ramones, solo electric. i was lucky enough to see one of those too.

would sure love to see one of those McCabes shows on video
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  01:38:32  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well floop and co...all finished now.
enjoy the show....hope it was worth the wait...

denis, did you manage to jump on too?

Go to Top of Page

vilainde

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  01:42:44  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Uh... how to explain... I started downloading it and then thought it was a silly idea... considering that I don't have a DVD burner.

Denis

Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  02:21:12  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you could watch it on your computer?

...yeah, you were right, it was a silly idea....

why not buy a dvd burner?

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  07:39:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it's finally done after 3 days and there's no audio. is there some setting i need to know about?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000